• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

KillGore

Well I'm here eating breakfast at the hotel in akihabara. I'm supposed to check out in an hour, but I want to shop a bit before hauling my luggage. You can extend the stay for an hour for 1000 yen, or apparently you can leave your luggage in the lobby after checking out and they'll hold it. It's kind of out in the open under a net.. Do you think it's safe or should I extend the stay for an hour?

Yes, it's safe. Don't worry about it. Japan is very very very safe country. I asked all of my hotels to hold the luggage in the lobby and it was fine.

cj_iwakura

Yes, it's safe. Don't worry about it. Japan is very very very safe country. I asked all of my hotels to hold the luggage in the lobby and it was fine.

I forgot a pair of skechers at the lobby of the Omori Seaside Inn in Shinagawa.

I have the strangest feeling they'll be there waiting when I go back.

so, somewhat last minute, but I'm gona be in Japan traveling for the third time in a few days. starting in Tokyo, then Yokohama, Nagoya, Hiroshima, and then Kyoto and Osaka again before heading to Tokyo to fly back to the US. therefore, I come to you, GAF, for some advise again.

now since this is the third time in the country, I do have some general idea of what to do and where to go. thou regarding Tokyo I can still use some pointers please. I already booked for Robot Restaurant and plan on going to Tsukiji, but any other suggestions? I'm staying near Asakusa btw. and what's some local favorite good eats?

also, not too sure of where to visit when I'm in Yokohama, Nagoya and Hiroshima. any suggestions? thanks ahead of time and let me know if you're in any of these areas I'm going and beer's on me lol

TCRS

Banned
In 2 weeks, sure, but probably not in 3 weeks. There's late blooming kinds other than someiyoshino that'll be around though.

are you kidding me... my girl is going to be pissed, she was looking forward to them.

That is a good tip to look for the late-bloomers if you miss the earlier cherry blossoms. In 2015 I was in Tokyo in mid-April and I had to go to the big Shinjuku Garden (Southeast of the Shinjuku station) to see any cherry blossoms at all. Thankfully they had a lot of the late-blooming trees. The trees elsewhere were already naked and had petals all over the nearby ground.

oh good at least something. we're staying in shinjuku so that's convenient.

Does anyone know if there is a place where I can see the whole segment show? Anyone who know if its a gameshow that might have clips on youtube?

Japanese girls sees a bodybuilder:

I9sDcFd.gif

It looks hilarious. They reactions are priceless!

I'm staying near Asakusa btw. and what's some local favorite good eats?

also, not too sure of where to visit when I'm in Yokohama, Nagoya and Hiroshima. any suggestions? thanks ahead of time and let me know if you're in any of these areas I'm going and beer's on me lol

Just check out all the small local eateries, there's tons of them in Asakusa. Could check out the kebab place that sells kebabrice as well :p

You already been to the Peace museum/park and Miyajima in Hiroshima? If not, then go there :p

Does anyone know if there is a place where I can see the whole segment show? Anyone who know if its a gameshow that might have clips on youtube?

It's one of those idol variety shows. SKE48のエビフライデーナイト

Just check out all the small local eateries, there's tons of them in Asakusa. Could check out the kebab place that sells kebabrice as well :p

You already been to the Peace museum/park and Miyajima in Hiroshima? If not, then go there :p

Haha, alright. in regards to Hiroshima, I suppose the Peace Park and all the atomic bomb related stuff is probably a must. since I'll be there a few days thou, I'm thinking about some other places near by also. but I'll look into it a little more myself too.

Haha, alright. in regards to Hiroshima, I suppose the Peace Park and all the atomic bomb related stuff is probably a must. since I'll be there a few days thou, I'm thinking about some other places near by also. but I'll look into it a little more myself too.

Well, tell us how many days you're spending in each city and what you've done there before and we might know some places to go that you've not been before :p

Ahh, I booked my tour ages ago!

As you need to do if you want to check it out ;P

Well, tell us how many days you're spending in each city and what you've done there before and we might know some places to go that you've not been before :p

my apologies, typing on the road right now so sometimes went with the simplified version. I'll be in Tokyo from 24th to 29th, Yokohama from 29th to 31st, Nagoya from 31st to the 2nd, and Hiroshima from 2nd to 5th. I'll also be at Kyoto (Otsu) and Osaka for a few days after that before heading back. I've never been to Yokohama, Nagoya and Hiroshima before. as for Tokyo, I've been to some of the more touristy places, such as Minji Shrine and Ghibli Museum.

Can I still book the ghibli museum? Is it worth it? Where do I book (If I can)? Should be for week 2 or 4 of May.

If you've not gone before then you should. There's periodic maintenance going on from May 15th through May 26th so you can't go in week 4.

Online tickets for foreigners for May go on sale on April 10th at 10:00 Japan time here:
https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/sitetop

You will need to go to the site ASAP when tickets go up since they sell out really fast. Morning tickets for any date seems to sell out within the first hour.

If you know anybody in Japan you could try getting them to buy Japanese tickets for you, which sells out slightly slower.

my apologies, typing on the road right now so sometimes went with the simplified version. I'll be in Tokyo from 24th to 29th, Yokohama from 29th to 31st, Nagoya from 31st to the 2nd, and Hiroshima from 2nd to 5th. I'll also be at Kyoto (Otsu) and Osaka for a few days after that before heading back. I've never been to Yokohama, Nagoya and Hiroshima before. as for Tokyo, I've been to some of the more touristy places, such as Minji Shrine and Ghibli Museum.

Well, check out the Chinatown and the Ramen and/or Cup Noodle museum in Yokohama. If you're interested in ships you could check out the Hikawa Maru at Yamashita Park. There's also the fancy Motomachi shopping street.

In Nagoya there's the railway museum if you're interested in Japanese trains or you could go to one of the Toyota museums if you like Toyota cars. The Toyota factory tour is booked solid though :p Check out Osu Kannon Temple and the nearby shopping streets that got all the big anime/manga/games shops in Nagoya. Could do day trips to the Shima peninsula, Inuyama to check out the castle, Kiso valley, maybe even Takayama, and check out Moricoro Park (which has a reproduction of the house from My Neighbor Totoro in it) in Nagakute as well.

In Hiroshima check out the Hondori shopping arcade and eat some okonomiyaki, and since you're there for several days you should do a full day in Miyajima and check out Itsukushima Shrine, the deers and maybe hike up Mount Misen if you're up for that as well.

KillGore

If you've not gone before then you should. There's periodic maintenance going on from May 15th through May 26th so you can't go in week 4.

Online tickets for foreigners for May go on sale on April 10th at 10:00 Japan time here:

You will need to go to the site ASAP when tickets go up since they sell out really fast. Morning tickets for any date seems to sell out within the first hour.

If you know anybody in Japan you could try getting them to buy Japanese tickets for you, which sells out slightly slower.

Thanks a lot, Mike. You've been a grwat help.

Well, check out the Chinatown and the Ramen and/or Cup Noodle museum in Yokohama. If you're interested in ships you could check out the Hikawa Maru at Yamashita Park. There's also the fancy Motomachi shopping street.

In Nagoya there's the railway museum if you're interested in Japanese trains or you could go to one of the Toyota museums if you like Toyota cars. The Toyota factory tour is booked solid though :p Check out Osu Kannon Temple and the nearby shopping streets that got all the big anime/manga/games shops in Nagoya. Could do day trips to the Shima peninsula, Inuyama to check out the castle, Kiso valley, maybe even Takayama, and check out Moricoro Park (which has a reproduction of the house from My Neighbor Totoro in it) in Nagakute as well.

In Hiroshima check out the Hondori shopping arcade and eat some okonomiyaki, and since you're there for several days you should do a full day in Miyajima and check out Itsukushima Shrine, the deers and maybe hike up Mount Misen if you're up for that as well.

oh, Ramen/cup noodle museum is definitely something I'm interested in. not too sure about the boat and the shopping street but I'm game. as for Nagoya, all those places you mentioned sounds cool and I'll look they up for sure to see how best to go about visiting. and yes, definitely going to visit Miyajima and the shrine. how long is the hike up Mt. Misen going to take? sounds kinda interesting.

Thanks a lot, Mike. You've been a grwat help.

If we ever rename this thread or get another OT, it will have to be called "The MikeHattsu Travel Agency"

lol "Mike's Japan tour. Satisfaction guaranteed!"

Supposedly takes 1.5-2.5 hours depending on how fast you walk and which course you choose :p

cool, might take that into consideration then.

if you don't mind me asking, how you know so much about traveling in Japan anyway? I mean I know you live there and all but you're so knowledgeable on this subject. do you travel around the country a lot in your free time? or do you work in the related field (ie tourism industry)?

if you don't mind me asking, how you know so much about traveling in Japan anyway? I mean I know you live there and all but you're so knowledgeable on this subject. do you travel around the country a lot in your free time? or do you work in the related field (ie tourism industry)?

I don't live in Japan! >_>

Just an interest in travelling there and the train system!
Oh, and seeing places from anime

USD is collapsing :(

cool, might take that into consideration then.

It's all that sweet Norwegian oil money.

I don't live in Japan! >_>

Just an interest in travelling there and the train system!
Oh, and seeing places from anime

oh... you're one of those train otaku huh? /takes a few step back

totally kidding lol I respect those who's into trains, boats, planes or military stuff. that and I'm in no position to talk with my manga addiction.

It's all that sweet Norwegian oil money.

that's even more impressive to be fair, being Norwegian and all.

danowat

Banned
Trains are amazing. I'm already pretty hyped about taking the Shinkansen several times this fall.

Coming from a country where our trains are much derided (and rightly so), and pretty much always late, delayed or cancelled, I too am looking forward to travelling on a decent rail system!

Japanese girls sees a bodybuilder:

It's one of those idol variety shows. SKE48のエビフライデーナイト

Yup thats the one. Show is like... 3~ish years old but there should be plenty of clips on youtube of it and all their other nonsense. Though their quality might be crap since they are not official.

Also thanks for the heads up Mike on the blossoms, had not been paying attention this year to other cities. Looks like I will miss Osaka's main bloom by a week same with Kyoto. Guess I will settle for Fukuoka and Kumamoto this year for my sakura travel spot.

cj_iwakura

But seriously, if anyone's at the Omori Kaigan station in Shinagawa and wants to take a few minutes to indulge my curiosity, it's the Seaside Inn about a block northwest of the station.

It's like right across the street from the Shinagawa Aquarium and near a Tempura restaurant right under the tracks.

They're blue skechers. :p

HI288123065.jpg

It's also a very cozy, cheap place to stay.

I've stayed at Sunnide Resort in Kawaguchiko, which has guest rooms with a private outdoor baths attached that have a view of Mt. Fuji. But I can't really say if the views were any better or worse than anywhere else because that's the only one I saw! Food was great though. Also if you go to Kawaguchiko make sure to get some hotoh noodles, like a thicker udon with lots of pumpkin, it's the best and I still remember it six years later. Also watch out for monkeys.

Looks amazing and good prices but ENTIRELY booked for april...

Is this new? I was just about to call my local JTB branch too. Is this cheaper than the exorbitant JTB price?

Is this new? I was just about to call my local JTB branch too. Is this cheaper than the exorbitant JTB price?

They started selling some tickets to foreigners in the Fall last year, so it's kinda new, and they're cheaper than JTB tickets yes. JTB tickets lets you go at whatever time you want though instead of having a 2 hour time slot for entry.

AFAIK JTB tickets for both May and June is completely sold out now. Should have booked February 1st or March 1st depending on which month you wanted to go.

They started selling some tickets to foreigners in the Fall last year, so it's kinda new, and they're cheaper than JTB tickets yes. JTB tickets lets you go at whatever time you want though instead of having a 2 hour time slot for entry.

AFAIK JTB tickets for both May and June is completely sold out now. Should have booked February 1st or March 1st depending on which month you wanted to go.

Lawson's it is then! Thanks as always for the help!

Rydeen

Any suggestions for ATM's I don't have to take out a minimum of 10,000 yen from with lower transaction fees? 7-11 is great in a pinch, but I don't want to take out the equivalent of nearly 100 dollars every time, something closer to 2,000 - 5,000 yen would be nice.

Any suggestions for ATM's I don't have to take out a minimum of 10,000 yen from with lower transaction fees? 7-11 is great in a pinch, but I don't want to take out the equivalent of nearly 100 dollars every time, something closer to 2,000 - 5,000 yen would be nice.

Could try the post office ATMs.

Wife and I are supposed to leave in 30 hours. Still dont know if we're going or not. We're flying standby with buddy passes. As of now it looks like we'll be able to get seats on the plane, but it's going to be tight. We're really hoping it works out!!!

One question about exchanging money to yen. At the airport is the best right? Possible to use a debit card to withdraw money (i know there might be bank fees to withdraw) at the airport exchange office? Or best to just arrive cash in hand and then exchange that?

Wife and I are supposed to leave in 30 hours. Still dont know if we're going or not. We're flying standby with buddy passes. As of now it looks like we'll be able to get seats on the plane, but it's going to be tight. We're really hoping it works out!!!

One question about exchanging money to yen. At the airport is the best right? Possible to use a debit card to withdraw money (i know there might be bank fees to withdraw) at the airport exchange office? Or best to just arrive cash in hand and then exchange that?

I'd say it depends a lot on your situation. I have a bank account that has no international transaction fees so using an ATM gives me the current bank rate. If I had an account through a horrible bank like Chase, it would be better to take the shitty rates at an exchange company.

I would go online and look up your bank's policies but it's definitely too late to order the money from your bank which is typically a good middle ground and what I did for my first trip.

At the airport in Japan, yeah. If your card is a normal Visa, Mastercard or other such things, then it should most likely work. Note that Visa Electron might not work in 7-11 ATMs, but they will at post office ATMs.

If you're from the US then bringing cash might give you a better deal if you got more than 2% or so withdrawal fees for your card.

But if you're from Canada or something then the fees would have to be 10% for it to pay off bringing cash :p

Eldainorn

I see that a lot of Gafers are going to Japan. This is great (and also expected. :D).

I, too, am going to Japan for the second time in a month and I was thinking if maybe somehow we could make a meet-up of fellow Gaffers. I am arriving on the 20th of April and leaving on the 10th of May. Unfortunately I am on a bit of a tight schedule (already booked hostels in different cities for the entire trip) but maybe we can work something out! If anyone is up for it we can arrange something and get to know each other. For me, meeting foreign people on a trip is one the best things especially if we have something in common.

Is there maybe a separate thread for Gaf meet-ups in Japan? I would be glad to organize something there (although still as a junior member I will need some help with the OP. I guess I need to post more, not only read :D).

Anyone interested can PM me.

Oh and about Visa Electrons... I can confirm that they work on 7-11 ATMs. Used it with no problems last year I was there.

eosos

Banned
Finally have all my flights and train schedules figured out! Leaving on 3/31 and returning 4/10. Going from Tokyo -> Osaka with day trips to Kyoto -> Hakone -> Tokyo. Any thoughts on the below itinerary, or major things I'm missing out on (probably a ton, this is pretty high level)?

http://imgur.com/CcBgvbL

eosos

Banned
You could do a half-day trip to the Kirin brewery in Yokohama.

Great idea! Thank you! Do you recommend Uber in Tokyo? Just looking at Google Maps it seems like it would be a half hour Uber compared to 1hr 10min train ride (although it could be because it's currently 3AM in Tokyo).

Top Bottom