• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

danowat

Banned
Well, if you want to get the best chance of getting good views of Mt. Fuji, you should go to Kawaguchiko. If you're more interested in onsens then Hakone probably got better ones.

Cheers, I'll leave it at Kawaguchiko then, we aren't particularly interested in Onsen, as I understand they are (all?) single sex, and me and my wife prefer to do things together.

Cheers, I'll leave it at Kawaguchiko then, we aren't particularly interested in Onsen, as I understand they are (all?) single sex, and me and my wife prefer to do things together.

Well, at some onsens you can rent a private family bath. Dunno if there's any good ones in Hakone, but they do have a mixed hot spring clothed spa called Yunessun in Hakone though.

danowat

Banned
We've partaken in thermal spas and pools a fair bit in Iceland, but they are all clothed and mixed (although you have to shower naked beforehand).

If there were any like that, we might be interested, but I understand they are few and fair between, I think the Onsen theme park on Odiaba is the same too?

We've partaken in thermal spas and pools a fair bit in Iceland, but they are all clothed and mixed (although you have to shower naked beforehand).

If there were any like that, we might be interested, but I understand they are few and fair between, I think the Onsen theme park on Odiaba is the same too?

Um...
they do have a mixed hot spring clothed spa called Yunessun in Hakone though.

The onsen theme park in Odaiba is not mixed or clothed in the actual onsen area.

hwalker84

A guy I met in Kyoto (now living in Osaka) who I suspect may be Yakuza said said next time i'm there he'll show me deep Osaka. Now i'm wondering what the hell that means? and i'm 1000% in for whatever the hell it is!

Hey so Portable Wifi will suit my needs in terms of google maps usage, right? Listened to a podcast recently who described mobile plans being spotty and didnt event talk about ptb wifi and I got worried lol.

A guy I met in Kyoto (now living in Osaka) who I suspect may be Yakuza said said next time i'm there he'll show me deep Osaka. Now i'm wondering what the hell that means? and i'm 1000% in for whatever the hell it is!

lol I really look forward to the report of your next trip then.

Hey so Portable Wifi will suit my needs in terms of google maps usage, right? Listened to a podcast recently who described mobile plans being spotty and didnt event talk about ptb wifi and I got worried lol.

I used portable wifi hotspot both in 2015 and this year. in most cities, you won't have much problem at all. only if you're way out in the sticks, really far off countryside, then you won't get any signal.

Lego Boss

Only nine days until our trip to Japan!

Is it better to change GBP at the airport in Japan or change it in the UK before I leave? I'm asking as I've seen here that the exchange rate is better there in the UK.

danowat

Banned
Only nine days until our trip to Japan!

Is it better to change GBP at the airport in Japan or change it in the UK before I leave? I'm asking as I've seen here that the exchange rate is better there in the UK.

Airports, at least the ones I've been too, have always had poor exchange rates.

Our pound is on it's arse isn't it!!!, I brought some Yen in lieu of our trip in May back in Jan, I got 145yen to the £, I'd really like to get some more, but the exchange rate is terrible.

I used portable wifi hotspot both in 2015 and this year. in most cities, you won't have much problem at all. only if you're way out in the sticks, really far off countryside, then you won't get any signal.

How far into the countryside did you go? I've had no problem with WiFi devices in places where there's no trains and just 1 bus each hour and even on top of some mountains :p

The exchange rate at both Heathrow and in Japan is terrible for GBP. Even currency exchange places like cityforex got better rates.

How far into the countryside did you go? I've had no problem with WiFi devices in places where there's no trains and just 1 bus each hour and even on top of some mountains :p

I think I was over at Yoshino and didn't get much signal by the time I'm 3/4 up the mountain. but yeah, for the most part those hotspots are pretty good through out the places I visited.

That's OK, I'm used to getting fucked. I'm British and we voted for BREXIT after all . . .

Seriously, thanks for the info, will change in the UK of A.

Here I am bitching that Trump is squandering the strength of the dollar on bills that won't pass and you're transferring GBP after Brexit. Best of luck with you're trip.

As for your question, we don't bring any yen with us and get what we need from ATMs. With no international transaction fees, we get the best rates possible without being a 1 percenter.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Airports, at least the ones I've been too, have always had poor exchange rates.

Our pound is on it's arse isn't it!!!, I brought some Yen in lieu of our trip in May back in Jan, I got 145yen to the £, I'd really like to get some more, but the exchange rate is terrible.

I remember the days of 200 yen to the pound. Not only better value but much easier to calculate. These days I mentally still chop off a couple of zeros and halve it, and then realise it's much more expensive than that.

That's OK, I'm used to getting fucked. I'm British and we voted for BREXIT after all . . .

Seriously, thanks for the info, will change in the UK of A.

Hey, you're getting a much better exchange rate than I did post brexit because the yen has fallen.

I didn't vote for my holiday getting a shit ton more expensive either, but hey 1/2 the country wanted to fuck me over so what can you do.

Like the other guy said do it at a high street exchange, or something.

Personally I don't like dealing with money through mail and wanted to do it in person.

I did mine though bestforeignexchange/Thomas Exchange Global, which was the best non mail rate at the time.

Keep in mind to get the decent rate you have to book it online and then pay and collect whenever the same day in person at a branch, just going into the branch alone will give you a shittier rate.

I used a revolut card for Cash at atms and most card purchases, some stores had a 5% off visa thing so I used my credit card, which has good rates but a 2% overseas charge, but obvious saving 5% > Paying 2% so it was still a good discount.

Don't use the airport places, just use your card at the international atms they have at every convenience store at worst.

I remember the days of 200 yen to the pound. Not only better value but much easier to calculate. These days I mentally still chop off a couple of zeros and halve it, and then realise it's much more expensive than that.

God knows I fucking the miss the days of £1 basically being over 2 CAD.

Lego Boss

I know this sounds weird, but when I went ten years ago it was Y100 = £1 (I think).

Now £1 buys around Y130, which is better even after sterling took a Tusk up the arse.

The difference seems to be that Abeonmics devalued the Yen to assist with exports.

We devalued the pound because we're fucking idiots.

N0VAM0D

Hey! Is anyone around the Shinjuku area and wanting to go check out Golden Gai or some arcades tonight or tomorrow night? As good as my hostel is, I've found it isn't as social as I wanted it to be :((

So far my trip has been really great, spent my first day wandering Shinjuku, getting my bearings and taking loads of photos, and in the afternoon I visited Shinjukugyoen which was so wonderful. Then today I went to Shimokitazawa and bought so much second hand stuff, I'm gonna go back toward the end of my trip to suss out the vinyl. Then I went to the Government Building to check out the view as the sun set. And now I'm at my hostel drinking some sake before heading out! Tomorrow should be Shibuya and Akibahara. It's been great so far.

TCRS

Banned
did you guys actually plan out your days beforehand? I know what I want to see but no idea when. gf keeps sayin we should make a plan, I feel like deciding when I'm there..

did you guys actually plan out your days beforehand? I know what I want to see but no idea when. gf keeps sayin we should make a plan, I feel like deciding when I'm there..

I make plans that are flexible. You should group stuff by area at least so you know what you can do if you get time over or do cuts if you need to. Oh, and not everything is open every day, so you should write that down so you don't show up on a day something is closed.

danowat

Banned

I think it depends on the individual.

I have always planned what I am going to do, wherever I go, simply because it's easier to budget and also organise and familiarise with transport links etc

Some people like winging it though, but the times I have done that, I haven't seen anywhere near as much as I would with a plan, that said, our plan is always open to change on the hoof if need be!

We have things that I want to do for sure but for Tokyo we just decide what I want to do the night before. For Kyoto and Osaka, we are more structured because we only have 4 days.

Dont be an idiot like me, order your pocket wifi/sim more than a few days in advance

No it's fine, my friend just got a sim from the convenience store at the airport, it wasn't much more expensive and worked fine.

We actually ended up switching sims since my one which I booked well in advance and picked up from the airport post office but wouldn't work on my phone but worked fine on his, and his worked on my phone fine.

We just made a big excel sheet of places we were interested and times/day they were open. and marked them on google maps.

So we knew tons of places we wanted to go, but were absolutely free , didn't go to plenty of them and found plenty new stuff as well, best of both worlds imo.

Putting them on google maps shows you where the good stuff is clustered too.

Planning out your days is far too strict imo.

Lego Boss

I winged it last time and I loved it. I just walked around the city (Tokyo) and just let it all wash over me, like those air conditioned stores spilling cold air onto the street in Akihabara. I took an iimpromptu trip to Kyoto which was amazing and I wandered dowwn alleys to restaurants where no-one else seemed to go.

This time I am trravelling with my wife (who has never travelled outside of Europe) and five and eight year old girls. I have made plans this time, but am aware that when the little ones arrive there, they may be tired and we have to be flexible around travelling.

It's really contextual. If I was on my own, I might look into different places, but as a first timer? Just let it all come to you.

I ended up not being able to sleep more than about an hour on my flight for various reasons... bleh. Stumbled through the Shibuya Station construction for a bit til I found my hotel, and crashed out till 2am. Solid start!

We just made a big excel sheet of places we were interested and times/day they were open. and marked them on google maps.

This is what I did, to get a sense of the areas I should devote more or less time to.

srst

Definitely, so I can get the most out of my trip. My plans are saved in Evernote and places pinned in Google maps for me to connect the dots on the go.

Mr Git

Been in Tokyo for about 4 days now visiting my brother and his girlfriend. They're back at work on Monday so will start to properly explore around on my own, looking forward to it. Lucked out though, I've been lent an apartment in Nakano. Refreshing to stay in a new country but have my own space, rather than stay in hostels or dorms.

Also I'm sorry for bringing the British weather with me. Happens every time.

first time I visit Japan I planned everything out ahead of time, but then again that was when smartphone was really a thing yet. 2nd time I did very little planning except where I would be during when and where some of the more important locations are and just kinda go around as I like. I feel that if it's your first time, plan things ahead. otherwise just chill and wander around.

now I want to punch you.
/s

Lego Boss

Been in Tokyo for about 4 days now visiting my brother and his girlfriend. They're back at work on Monday so will start to properly explore around on my own, looking forward to it. Lucked out though, I've been lent an apartment in Nakano. Refreshing to stay in a new country but have my own space, rather than stay in hostels or dorms.

Yesterday it was 20 degrees and sunny. It was beautiful.

I guess you have the same weather in Tokyo ;)

On my way out waiting for my flight to Chicago from Narita.. Forgot how much I loved Japan.. Also the language I lost was just starting to slowly come back, but alas, I must go now... Perhaps another visit in 4 to 5 years.

Rydeen

On my way out waiting for my flight to Chicago from Narita.. Forgot how much I loved Japan.. Also the language I lost was just starting to slowly come back, but alas, I must go now... Perhaps another visit in 4 to 5 years.

Why in another 4 to 5 years? My second trip was 17 months after the first, and I'm already plotting another one with friends in October so they can experience Shibuya Halloween.

Won

Personally I never really plan anything ahead. It's part of the fun to explore and experience a new place even if it means you miss out on a tourist trap or two.

Tokyo was especially great to pick a single thing I wanted to check out and then walk in the general direction torwards it. (especially in the smartphone era)

If you don't plan things out in advance, it gives you an excuse to go back 18 months later.

I don't know what's going to be worse, no coffee or the 13 hour flight.

man... learned a good lesson today (actually just something I knew already but overlooked), book your Shinkansen tickets early if you're leaving on Sunday afternoon. freaking all seats sold out so I have to delay my departure to Hiroshima by an hour+. but again, my own fault for not planning more carefully and being lazy.

danowat

Banned
Still some confusion for me about city travel......

Can I use one of the IC cards for travel in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima?

Top Bottom