• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Guys, any recommendation for Decent budget hotel in Osaka? I was looking at Airbnb but after reading about lots of cases of last minute cancellations from Superhosts, i dont want to risk it. The trip will be nearer to Oct too.

I have no idea how to load a suica with a credit card. I guess I'll have to do it when I get cash.

man... learned a good lesson today (actually just something I knew already but overlooked), book your Shinkansen tickets early if you're leaving on Sunday afternoon. freaking all seats sold out so I have to delay my departure to Hiroshima by an hour+. but again, my own fault for not planning more carefully and being lazy.

This is good to know. We go to Kyoto next Sunday so we'll make sure to book early. Can you book the day before?

Still some confusion for me about city travel......

Can I use one of the IC cards for travel in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima?

Yes, Suica and Pasmo cam be used in other cities.

In Tokyo and Kyoto, yes. In Hiroshima you can not use Pasmo or Suica for non-JR buses or any trams. You can use an Icoca IC card though.

This is good to know. We go to Kyoto next Sunday so we'll make sure to book early. Can you book the day before?

You can book any time you want as long as you got your JR Pass with you. Even weeks before.

Damn, Persona 5 makes navigating train stations seem like a nightmare! It's very intimidating, having to change from one line to another and finding the right platform. We don't really have a train station in my city, so it all seems convoluted.

Damn, Persona 5 makes navigating train stations seem like a nightmare! It's very intimidating, having to change from one line to another and finding the right platform. We don't really have a train station in my city, so it all seems convoluted.

The stations can be a bit difficult to get around. Everything is fairly well marked but can still be easy to get turned around. Then again there are station attendants everywhere as well to help buy a ticket or tell you where your platform is.

I'm slightly confused, how do I get a bag from Mister Donuts? Do I just buy 5 donuts? Or, do I have to buy 5 and then I might get a bag or a towel or a lunch box?

Here's their website.

Only Shinjuku station is an impossible labyrinth. Otherwise, they're all pretty easy.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...t-year-cherry-trees-burst-bloom-across-tokyo/

Cherry trees reached full bloom in central Tokyo on Sunday, a day earlier than normal but two days later than last year, the Meteorological Agency said.

The cherry blossoms’ spectacular arrival had been delayed due to a cold snap in mid- to late March but will be at their best this week. The trees will come into full bloom in wide areas of eastern and western Japan, according to a forecast by commercial weather services.

In northern Japan, flowering will begin in early April in Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures while other northeastern prefectures will have to wait until mid-April. Cherry trees in Hokkaido will bloom between late April and early May, according to the forecast.

As always, more blooming dates here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/
http://sakura.weathermap.jp/en.php

I'm slightly confused, how do I get a bag from Mister Donuts? Do I just buy 5 donuts? Or, do I have to buy 5 and then I might get a bag or a towel or a lunch box?

Here's their website.

The lunch box was the gift from February 15th till they ran out.
The bag is the current gift from March 15th till they run out.
And the blanket is the future gift from April 7th till they run out.

Yeah, Shinjuku will be our main hub for our stay in Tokyo, so I've been watching some YouTube videos, plus there are a number of maps for the station too.

It's not that bad. The worst of it is if you want to cross to the other side of the station without being inside, trying to get to the correct subway (or one of the non-JR train lines) when you're not already inside, find a specific shop in the station or trying to meet anybody :p

I had already know what to expect when visiting the A bomb museum before going, but damn it, the displays in there and the testimony from the survivors at the A bomb victims museum just... I can't man, I can't T_T

Lego Boss

It's not that bad. The worst of it is if you want to cross to the other side of the station without being inside, trying to get to the correct subway (or one of the non-JR train lines) when you're not already inside, find a specific shop in the station or trying to meet anybody :p

Yes, I would agree. Never had any problems in Japanese stations. It's like most subway/train station networks, it's finding the correct exit which is key, actually transferring between trains is not too hard as long as you've done it in another city.

Howver, I'll let you know how it goes with two excitable children who are addicted to 'cute TV' (they were watching something called Tiny Force or something the other day in preparation for their trip . . . )

The lunch box was the gift from February 15th till they ran out.
The bag is the current gift from March 15th till they run out.
And the blanket is the future gift from April 7th till they run out.

Cool thanks. Things like this make my brain melt. My wife wanted the bag but I couldn't figure out how to make sure that's what we would get.

Also, oh my god I spent so much money today. Going to have to not go to Akihabara every day like last time.

BashNasty

So, I'm heading to Tokyo on Thursday, and I've got a couple questions.

1. What's my best bet for getting currency. I'm coming from the United States and I've heard some people say it's best to just do the currency exchange in Tokyo, from ATMs. Is this good advice, or should I get currency exchanged before I go?

2. Any cool bar/restaurant/museum suggestions off the beaten path? I've obviously looked at tons of various recommendations online and my google maps is absolutely packed with starred locations. But I'd love to hear about some more low-key/less mentioned places.

3. Anyone know how good LTE reception is in Tokyo? I plan to do most of my navigation with my phone, and I've already upgraded my T-mobile plan to the international plan, so I should be in good shape, but is there anything I should know or be wary of?

Thanks for any advice. I truly can't wait, I'm gonna be there for two weeks, and this has been my dream vacation for about 15 years now.

1. What's my best bet for getting currency. I'm coming from the United States and I've heard some people say it's best to just do the currency exchange in Tokyo, from ATMs. Is this good advice, or should I get currency exchanged before I go?

You should either exchange USD at the airport in Japan or get cash from the ATM. Which is better depends on what fees your credit card got for foreign currency withdrawal. 2% or less in fees and you should go with credit card at the ATM.

2. Any cool bar/restaurant/museum suggestions off the beaten path? I've obviously looked at tons of various recommendations online and my google maps is absolutely packed with starred locations. But I'd love to hear about some more low-key/less mentioned places.

3. Anyone know how good LTE reception is in Tokyo? I plan to do most of my navigation with my phone, and I've already upgraded my T-mobile plan to the international plan, so I should be in good shape, but is there anything I should know or be wary of?

Thanks for any advice. I truly can't wait, I'm gonna be there for two weeks, and this has been my dream vacation for about 15 years now.

1. Check with your bank to find out what your international transaction fees are. If you bank with a horrible company like Chase you will have a bad time.

Since you leave on Thursday, it might too late to order currency in bulk from your bank but you can look into places that do this as a business and figure out what your rates will be.

2. I usually just stop by places that I see and look good. You'll get good food anywhere. One place that's somewhat out of the way that I really recommend (from last time since I haven't gone to Ueno yet this time) is Tonkatsu Yamaga

3. I had T-Mobile on my last trip, it was great. If I hadn't moved to Chicago where their reception was good I would still be using it.

Considering vacation plans for my family in early July or so, two weeks, narrowed it down to: Japan, Ireland, Scandinavia (specifically Denmark, Norway, Sweden), and a drive around the upper U.S. Midwest (IL, MI, MN, WI, ND, IA). Haha, ok, not very narrow. Do we have a general trip planning OT here on GAF? Anyhow, concerning Japan (and really the other foreign destinations -- I live in U.S. by the way)...

1) how much can be seen without a car? I have little interest in driving over there.
2) will a total lack of ability to speak the language be an issue?
3) with only four months to plan am I too late to get started?
4) would you recommend going with an tour (though my kids and wife would not be fond of the "wake up at 7a or else!" aspect of those) or wing it? We've winged it pretty much everywhere (U.S., Italy, Austria, England) but Egypt in the past.

I'm 45, my wife is 52, my kids 17 and 20. Hoping to see a healthy mix of natural wonders (my boy loves that) as well as cool cultural things. Thinking Tokyo, Kyoto, Mt. Fuji (is that accessible without a car?). At the least. Of our past trips my boy loved Alaska and my girl Italy and Austria. Hoping we can find something for both of them in Japan.

Thanks!

Considering vacation plans for my family in early July or so, two weeks, narrowed it down to: Japan, Ireland, Scandinavia (specifically Denmark, Norway, Sweden), and a drive around the upper U.S. Midwest (IL, MI, MN, WI, ND, IA). Haha, ok, not very narrow. Do we have a general trip planning OT here on GAF? Anyhow, concerning Japan (and really the other foreign destinations -- I live in U.S. by the way)...

1) how much can be seen without a car? I have little interest in driving over there.
4) would you recommend going with an tour (though my kids and wife would not be fond of the "wake up at 7a or else!" aspect of those) or wing it? We've winged it pretty much everywhere (U.S., Italy, Austria, England) but Egypt in the past.

I'm 45, my wife is 52, my kids 17 and 20. Hoping to see a healthy mix of natural wonders (my boy loves that) as well as cool cultural things. Thinking Tokyo, Kyoto, Mt. Fuji (is that accessible without a car?). At the least. Of our past trips my boy loved Alaska and my girl Italy and Austria. Hoping we can find something for both of them in Japan.

Thanks!

first of all, if you don't want to drive too much, then US is most likely not a choice for this vacation; especially the mid west, which has very heavy driving involve.

as for all your other questions,

1: Japan is very easy to travel without a car. get a Japan Railway pass, which comes in 1, 2 or 3 weeks length, and you can reach most major locations without any issue. local public transportation are also very convenient, so you don't have to worry at all.

2: not unless you plan on going to the very countryside areas. most of the big cities have train and bus routes marked in both Japanese and English so it's not hard at all. if you can a portable hotspot and just use Google Map to navigate, you won't have any issue at all. as for ordering stuff, Japanese in general isn't that good in expressing themselves with English but you should be able to manage with your daily communication with simple English and some gestures.

3: not at all, if you plan the main locations first and go from there, you can book most of the hotel early and get that part done a little cheaper. try to book your stay near JR train stations if possible (if you're going to use JR pass).

4: wing it! Japan is a very tourist friendly place and you generally won't encounter too much problem there. just do your homework ahead of time and you'll be fine (which is exactly what this thread is here for).

lastly, I'm not too sure about Mt. Fuji but as far as I recall you can get there with public transit without too much trouble. only issue is do you REALLY want to invest that big a chunk of time to it, since I think it's kinda "off the beaten path" so to speak. other then that, I'm sure you'll be able to find what your kids like in Japan. you might even find that 2 weeks is not enough for all you want to see.

Kenstar

I'm staying by morishita station until Tuesday if anyone wants to meet up for some shenanigans, my schedule is pretty flexible

Have to hope my family can express mail my international driver's license to my hotel before i leave so I can do bootleg Mario kart in the streets

Thanks!

One thing to consider is that Japan and the midwest will be insanely hot and humid that time of year.

1) A car is absolutely not necessary in Japan. Everything is accessible by train.
2) Japanese people have trouble with English but there's enough signage and they will do their best to help you.
3) No. Japan is pretty easy. Decide now whether you want to stick with Kanto (Tokyo area) or spread out. I recommend starting with Tokyo and branching out on future trips.
4) Oh god no. Definitely do things on your own
5) Let your kids do their own thing. Don't force them to spend time with you.

Lego Boss

Quick question: Will my 8 y/o need to pay on the metro? I.e. do the same arrangements apply to JR Rail as to the metro (she needs a rail pass, but her little sister doesn't).

Thanks.

Thinking Tokyo, Kyoto, Mt. Fuji (is that accessible without a car?). At the least. Of our past trips my boy loved Alaska and my girl Italy and Austria. Hoping we can find something for both of them in Japan.

Thanks!

Summers in Japan is horrible. You should try going at another time if possible.

But, if you're actually planning on climbing Mt. Fuji you need to go in the summer and you should set aside 2 days and stay overnight in one of the mountain huts. It's not really for a day trip. You probably need to book ASAP if you're planning to do that.

Quick question: Will my 8 y/o need to pay on the metro? I.e. do the same arrangements apply to JR Rail as to the metro (she needs a rail pass, but her little sister doesn't).

Thanks.

Same as JR:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/age/index.html

We walked a total of 13.2 miles today. I don't think I'm staying hydrated enough. Had a good hanami today. We went to Asakusa, Sumida, Meiji Jingu, Harajuku and Sunshine City.

There's nothing more annoying in my opinion than a group of people following someone with a flag.

Also, our pocket wifis have pretty poor battery life. I'm going to have to take my battery pack with us.

danowat

Banned
We walked a total of 13.2 miles today. I don't think I'm staying hydrated enough. Had a good hanami today. We went to Asakusa, Sumida, Meiji Jingu, Harajuku and Sunshine City.

There's nothing more annoying in my opinion than a group of people following someone with a flag.

Also, our pocket wifis have pretty poor battery life. I'm going to have to take my battery pack with us.

Blimey, that's a hefty day!

We've got the same, but spread over 3 days!

Goroh

What's the best pocket wifi to get for a 10day trip to Kyoto and nearby cities? Don't need much data, just enough to browse internet or look at a map if i am lost.

Every day in Japan is like this because my wife is nuts.

is this the first time she ever been to Japan? if so, then it's kinda normal for her wanting to make the most out of her time there. if you get really worn out after a long day of tourist stuff, I would suggest finding a bath house and go for a nice soaking in there. it'll do you wonders.

and I agree that it's pointless following a tour guide in a place like Japan, especially in the bigger cities. the fun is to go explore around.

JulianImp

What's the best pocket wifi to get for a 10day trip to Kyoto and nearby cities? Don't need much data, just enough to browse internet or look at a map if i am lost.

If you won't be using lots of data, you could look into prepaid data SIM cards for your phone. The 2GB/3 months plan my friends and I got cost about US$38, and I know for sure there was a cheaper 1GB/1 month plan as well that you could probably use. That way, you can use the SIM for browsing maps and looking stuff up on the Internet on the go just fine, but would probably have to rely on stores' wi-fi for data-heavy browsing (ie: streaming or downloading stuff). I'd say going for a pocket wi-fi isn't really worth it unless you really need the (way) higher data cap it provides, since open hotspots have gotten a lot more common now and a cheaper plan works fine for checking transport schedules and looking for places to go in between hotspots.

first of all, if you don't want to drive too much, then US is most likely not a choice for this vacation; especially the mid west, which has very heavy driving involve.

as for all your other questions,

1: Japan is very easy to travel without a car. get a Japan Railway pass, which comes in 1, 2 or 3 weeks length, and you can reach most major locations without any issue. local public transportation are also very convenient, so you don't have to worry at all.

2: not unless you plan on going to the very countryside areas. most of the big cities have train and bus routes marked in both Japanese and English so it's not hard at all. if you can a portable hotspot and just use Google Map to navigate, you won't have any issue at all. as for ordering stuff, Japanese in general isn't that good in expressing themselves with English but you should be able to manage with your daily communication with simple English and some gestures.

3: not at all, if you plan the main locations first and go from there, you can book most of the hotel early and get that part done a little cheaper. try to book your stay near JR train stations if possible (if you're going to use JR pass).

4: wing it! Japan is a very tourist friendly place and you generally won't encounter too much problem there. just do your homework ahead of time and you'll be fine (which is exactly what this thread is here for).

lastly, I'm not too sure about Mt. Fuji but as far as I recall you can get there with public transit without too much trouble. only issue is do you REALLY want to invest that big a chunk of time to it, since I think it's kinda "off the beaten path" so to speak. other then that, I'm sure you'll be able to find what your kids like in Japan. you might even find that 2 weeks is not enough for all you want to see.

One thing to consider is that Japan and the midwest will be insanely hot and humid that time of year.

1) A car is absolutely not necessary in Japan. Everything is accessible by train.
2) Japanese people have trouble with English but there's enough signage and they will do their best to help you.
3) No. Japan is pretty easy. Decide now whether you want to stick with Kanto (Tokyo area) or spread out. I recommend starting with Tokyo and branching out on future trips.
4) Oh god no. Definitely do things on your own
5) Let your kids do their own thing. Don't force them to spend time with you.

Summers in Japan is horrible. You should try going at another time if possible.

But, if you're actually planning on climbing Mt. Fuji you need to go in the summer and you should set aside 2 days and stay overnight in one of the mountain huts. It's not really for a day trip. You probably need to book ASAP if you're planning to do that.

Same as JR:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/age/index.html

Thank you all for your responses! Regarding driving in the Midwest U.S., yeah, I'd be fine with that. We've seen 42 states so far over four long (2 weeks+, 3,000 miles each) trips. I just don't want to drive in another country where I'm not as familiar with the rules of the road (nor can read the signs in some cases). Glad to hear that cars aren't necessary at all and that the trip can be winged and I don't need a tour group.

Regarding Mt. Fuji, sounds like that'll be a pass -- at least climbing it will be. Two days is a bit to devote to it and I don't think I'll get buy-in from the family. Plus, if we go in July it'll be hot...

...regarding that, starting to wonder if my wife and I should just save this trip for the two of us during the spring or fall and avoid the summer sauna. Would be without the kids, though.

Thank you all for your responses! Regarding driving in the Midwest U.S., yeah, I'd be fine with that. We've seen 42 states so far over four long (2 weeks+, 3,000 miles each) trips. I just don't want to drive in another country where I'm not as familiar with the rules of the road (nor can read the signs in some cases). Glad to hear that cars aren't necessary at all and that the trip can be winged and I don't need a tour group.

Regarding Mt. Fuji, sounds like that'll be a pass -- at least climbing it will be. Two days is a bit to devote to it and I don't think I'll get buy-in from the family. Plus, if we go in July it'll be hot...

...regarding that, starting to wonder if my wife and I should just save this trip for the two of us during the spring or fall and avoid the summer sauna. Would be without the kids, though.

lol how are your kids regarding visiting Japan? are they interested? if not, then yeah, maybe save it for just you and the missus next time. but if they like Japan also, might as well do this as a sample taste of sort and give them a little idea of how the place is so they can visit by themselves next time. but if you really don't want to endure the "summer sauna", which I don't blame you, then I guess the Scandinavian​ countries would be a better choice for you.

is this the first time she ever been to Japan? if so, then it's kinda normal for her wanting to make the most out of her time there. if you get really worn out after a long day of tourist stuff, I would suggest finding a bath house and go for a nice soaking in there. it'll do you wonders.

and I agree that it's pointless following a tour guide in a place like Japan, especially in the bigger cities. the fun is to go explore around.

This is actually our third trip! We're like this back home in Chicago too but not quite as bad.

Bath houses are a no go because they might think we're yakuza. Our ryokan has a western tub that I've been using and it's wonderful. Yesterday, it was a bit too hot though so I wimped out.

We're taking a break right now but have already done 9.3 miles today. We did Sugamo then we took the Yamanote to Nishi-Nippori and checked out a bunch of temples. After that we went through Yanaka Ginza and walked to Ueno station via Ameyoko. We're heading to Nakano in a few minutes.

If you won't be using lots of data, you could look into prepaid data SIM cards for your phone.

As long as you have an unlocked phone that supports the Japanese mobile frequency bands of course.

Well, it's not that hot at the top of Mt. Fuji. Could get as cold as 0 degrees Celsius in the middle of summer up there (and it can feel even colder at night if it's windy) ;P

N0VAM0D

Anyone got any good Bar or restaurant suggestions around the Gion area in Kyoto? Just arrived here today and absolutely loving the vibe so far. Keen to meet some drinking buddies now, though!

This is actually our third trip! We're like this back home in Chicago too but not quite as bad.

Bath houses are a no go because they might think we're yakuza. Our ryokan has a western tub that I've been using and it's wonderful. Yesterday, it was a bit too hot though so I wimped out.

We're taking a break right now but have already done 9.3 miles today. We did Sugamo then we took the Yamanote to Nishi-Nippori and checked out a bunch of temples. After that we went through Yanaka Ginza and walked to Ueno station via Ameyoko. We're heading to Nakano in a few minutes.

most bath house now a day don't really care about tattoos. I've seen plenty of people with full sleeves or vest tattoos on them (Japanese) and they got in just fine.

Anyone got any good Bar or restaurant suggestions around the Gion area in Kyoto? Just arrived here today and absolutely loving the vibe so far. Keen to meet some drinking buddies now, though!

Would you be in Kyoto for long? I'm arriving at Otsu, just east of Kyoto tonight and will be there for a few nights, I'm definitely down for some drinking if you're game.

N0VAM0D

Would you be in Kyoto for long? I'm arriving at Otsu, just east of Kyoto tonight and will be there for a few nights, I'm definitely down for some drinking if you're game.

Hell yeah, sounds great! I'm here until the 10th, so, 5 days. If you're keen for some drinks tonight I'd be heaps down, or any other night for that matter. Always down for a drink and good banter! How far is Otsu from Gion?

Hell yeah, sounds great! I'm here until the 10th, so, 5 days. If you're keen for some drinks tonight I'd be heaps down, or any other night for that matter. Always down for a drink and good banter! How far is Otsu from Gion?

I'll try and settle into the capsule hotel first and I'll PM you. still waiting for train in Shin Osaka right now lol.

Even more uses for your Suica card in the future then :p
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ystem-to-facilitate-inbound-tourism-in-japan/

Foreign tourists will be able to use Suica travel cards to check in at hotels and purchase tax-free goods under a new system developed by the government and private-sector firms.

The Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry hopes to put the system it developed with NEC Corp. and others into practical use ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, officials said.

According to the ministry, foreign visitors who have East Japan Railway Co. Suica cards will be able to check in at hotels and shop at tax-free stores without presenting passports if they register their individual data, including name, nationality and passport number, via smartphone and link the information to the Suica card.

In a demonstration in February, foreign tourists were provided with Suica cards and registered their data with the system.

When they purchased limousine bus tickets using the cards at Haneda airport, their hotels were automatically notified of their arrival time, the officials said. After arriving at the hotel, the tourists were able to check in with the cards and food allergy information was sent to the hotel's restaurant, they added.

Goroh

If you won't be using lots of data, you could look into prepaid data SIM cards for your phone. The 2GB/3 months plan my friends and I got cost about US$38, and I know for sure there was a cheaper 1GB/1 month plan as well that you could probably use. That way, you can use the SIM for browsing maps and looking stuff up on the Internet on the go just fine, but would probably have to rely on stores' wi-fi for data-heavy browsing (ie: streaming or downloading stuff). I'd say going for a pocket wi-fi isn't really worth it unless you really need the (way) higher data cap it provides, since open hotspots have gotten a lot more common now and a cheaper plan works fine for checking transport schedules and looking for places to go in between hotspots.

Yeah i thought about that but...

As long as you have an unlocked phone that supports the Japanese mobile frequency bands of course.

...this might be a problem. Also, i won't be the only one using that connection, and using my phone in hotspot mode destroys the battery, so i'd prefer a portable wifi.

N0VAM0D

I'll try and settle into the capsule hotel first and I'll PM you. still waiting for train in Shin Osaka right now lol.

Cool! I'm just about to head out now for some dinner, and the people at my hostel recommended heaps of good places to drink like a gin bar and somewhere with really good beer and wine :)))

Yeah i thought about that but...

...this might be a problem. Also, i won't be the only one using that connection, and using my phone in hotspot mode destroys the battery, so i'd prefer a portable wifi.

If you only need a small amount of data then the CDJapan Anywhere, Unlimited one with 110MB a day might be enough, and it's cheap:
http://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/index_en_jpy_7.html

If you need more than 110MB a day there's other companies that's better.

N0VAM0D

don't have anything in my pm box... I guess just post it in the thread? lol

rip

So, I'm currently at some cool place in the Gion/Kawaramachi area. Closest station is probably Sanjo or Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae. If you could PM me maaaaybe it'll work, no clue why it didn't work that time. Maybe I accidentally PM'd the wrong person, hahahahah.

Top Bottom