• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese consumers pick their favorite Dragon Quest game

kromeo

Never understood V much personally, my least favourite outside of the first two which don't count and IX which is trash. I knew 3 would be listed as soon as I saw the thread title, the same as the way they love FFIV over there

DNAbro

It's weird to see someone say they liked one game in the series and "hated" another. It's such a remarkably consistent series, opinions generally don't diverge that much across the games.
9 aside, I guess

I think I can explain why. First one I played was IX and that was perfectly fine. Had fun in multiplayer, building a team, etc. Then eventually I tried out IV and thought it was way too archaic. I got to the point where I got the main Hero and started hating it cause I couldn't figure out where to go and what to do, got stuck and just got frustrated.

Years later I decided to download I on my phone while on vacation and enjoyed it. It did feel extremely old(and I highly disliked the battle music) but everything felt small and simple. I was able to handle figuring out what to do. I might enjoy IV a bit more now, but I'm not really looking to play it.

Heero5

I like some a lot more than others. I find the job system in 6-7 real tedious. I think 2 is too cryptic for its own good.
2, imo, shows its age more so than any other DQ game. Still a great game and hugely influential, but a agree it's to cryptic.

Aeana

I like some a lot more than others. I find the job system in 6-7 real tedious. I think 2 is too cryptic for its own good.

They bent over backwards in remakes to address that, though. So far that in the mobile version, it's no longer even possible to enter the final cave without all of the seals.

kromeo

It's weird to see someone say they liked one game in the series and "hated" another. It's such a remarkably consistent series, opinions generally don't diverge that much across the games.
9 aside, I guess

Specifically I never understand the people who seem to love IV and V but hate VI. Other than maybe being a bit too long I'm not sure what it's crime is to bring on that opinion

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They bent over backwards in remakes to address that, though. So far that in the mobile version, it's no longer even possible to enter the final cave without all of the seals.

The most recent version of 2 I've played is the GB port, which helped with the leveling but not the obscurity. I should probably find a way to play 2 with a controller on android, as I like the version of 1 I got besides the controls, which I can't stand.

I think I still have the location of every major item burned into my brain from playing it on the NES in the early 90's and from reading the issue of Nintendo Power on it a few hundred times.

Soulstar

I would of picked 3. I remember playing that game for months as a kid on my GBC. That's probably why I'm always a bit sad when I play a DQ game were you can't pick your gender.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love IX. Especially the grottos but I had a bunch of fun with the campaign as well. I wished that VII on 3DS's streetpass was more like that.

I also really like the job system in that game. Good evolution of VIII's.

Lynx_7

I think 4 NES is super easy to go back to, personally. I alternate my replays between the versions and I always enjoy going back to the NES version. Using a code to enable manual control in chapter 5 is an interesting experience, too.
Of course, the NES version of 3 is great too. Both feel quite modern even today.

My issue with IV NES when I gave it a go was that I found the starting hours a bit dull compared to III NES, which gives you a full party and lets you explore the world right from the start. The DS remake didn't suffer as much since it sped things up considerably. I'll probably still give IV NES a proper try though, even if I'm not fond of AI controlled party members, just to experience the game as it was originally envisioned.
But yeah, they do feel more modern than a lot of their contemporaries. DQ IV's narrative would feel right at home in a SNES era JRPG, and I recall saying how much III blew away my expectations back when I played it. It feels like the most adventurous DQ game even today. Hell, most other JRPGs have trouble capturing that same sense of adventure. The jump from II to III is some seriously impressive stuff.

Bladenic

6 deserves more love. I loved it so much. It probably has my favorite world and vignettes in the series (alongside 8 at least).

Torokil

I never played 3 because I thought 1 wasn't that fun and I fucking detested 2. Guess I should get around to playing that because 4 is my favorite in the series.

I tried to play IV (DS) again a while back (after dropping it years ago) and I just couldn't do it. Again. I'm still really early, too, but it just feels like a chore to play for me. The game is fine, but I feel like I'm trying to force myself to enjoy it.

I first dipped my toes with VIII and got a decent way in, but eventually I got tired of the game.

I feel like the series isn't for me, but I've only tried two games. I'd love to try the Monster series one day.

Maybe I should stick to odd-numbered titles, ha.

xevis

Banned
Interesting results. Google turned up another survey from 2010, this time from Square Enix. On that occasion DQ9 came out on top (which, btw, is the correct outcome).

2010 Square Enix Survey said:
1. Dragon Quest IX (DS)
2. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
3. Dragon Quest III (NES)
4. Dragon Quest V (SNES)
5. Dragon Quest V (DS)
6. Dragon Quest VI (DS)
7. Dragon Quest VII (PSX)
8. Dragon Quest IV (DS)
9. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (DS)
10. Dragon Quest VI (SNES)

ElFly

III might as well be the Final Fantasy 7 of the series in Japan. Everyone played it as a kid, often as their first RPG. V is just the best in the series.

it came relatively early on the Super Famicom life. without checking, I think it came a few months after Street Fighter 2, so it rode on the coattails of that title on a moment the console was getting a bunch of big hits

Aeana

Interesting results. Google turned up another survey from 2010, this time from Square Enix. On that occasion DQ9 came out on top (which, btw, is the correct outcome).

I think the method of delivery for that survey biases it toward younger people, which explains the outcome you see there.

4 is the best. On original NES too, the DS localization made some really weird choices, and it just doesn't feel quite the same.

3 was too freewheeling for me. I really disliked the open quest for all the colored orbs for the sake of the egg. I remember at least one or two being kind of inscrutable and annoying as a kid. It was the same problem 2 had with its crests or sigils or whatever they were. Not enough direction and confirmation that you were on the right path, and/or needing to search a specific spot on the ground for one.

4's format was so awesome. The best part of any Dragon Quest is the very start, where you're leveling up and upgrading equipment rapidly, and you can feel the difference, and have the joy of learning new spells you really need. And in DQ4 you get to experience that 5 times! 5 different stories all brought together in the end. Each story very different from the last, in terms of the size of the party and tactics required. Including getting to play merchant! It was so ahead of its time.

Aeana

it came relatively early on the Super Famicom life. without checking, I think it came a few months after Street Fighter 2, so it rode on the coattails of that title on a moment the console was getting a bunch of big hits

Dragon Quest 5 rode on the coattails of Street Fighter 2?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
5 is ugly as hell on the SFC. Makes FF IV's overworld sections look amazing by comparison.

6 is among the ten best looking RPGs on the SFC.

1upsuper

What?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wish but no there never was in the States. Not sure about Japan, VC maybe?

In fact it's been over a decade the first three had a remaster.

They were bundled on the Wii as the hook game for DQ X, in Japan only.

They've also been redone for mobile in the last decade.

Meffer

They were bundled on the Wii as the hook game for DQ X, in Japan only.

They've also been redone for mobile in the last decade.

Kind of. The Wii version are pretty much the SNES versions while the smartphone versions are slightly altered from the SNES versions but no enemy animations. I still want a proper remake.

L Thammy

I have little taste for Dragon Quest - at least of the few early ones I've played - but I did like IV. Kind of disappointed that it didn't do better.

V is really something special though, I can see why it's that's a popular one.

Nairume

Banned
Specifically I never understand the people who seem to love IV and V but hate VI. Other than maybe being a bit too long I'm not sure what it's crime is to bring on that opinion
I think my not liking VI that much despite really liking IV and V is that I didn't get around to playing VI until shortly after I had already played enough of VII to where VI just felt like a slight step back.

A prettier step back, granted.

Hattori

Banned
lol

ElFly

Dragon Quest 5 rode on the coattails of Street Fighter 2?

it certainly got help from the higher sales of the console at that point, and sf2 helped move sfamicoms

compare to FF4 released only a year after release and sold a lot less

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
VIII is still the best, with V not too far behind

III is really good, but I like pre-established characters in my RPGs, so I always give the edge to IV over III.

kromeo

V would have been a great for me if it just gave you proper party members much earlier. I hated having to use monsters and guest characters for the first two thirds of the game

Top Bottom