• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese consumers pick their favorite Dragon Quest game

sublimit

Banned
What you're referring to is party chat and it's not unique to DQV. It started with DQVII and has been included in the remakes of IV, V and VI and also VII.

Well it wasn't the same in DQVIII (unlike DQIV in DQVIII party members had new dialogues only at certain times) and i'm pretty sure that this feature wasn't at all in the DS version of DQIV (the one i beat).

I haven't played VI and VII yet.

Im happy that I played the DS version of 5, the game wouldnt have been the same without Best waifu Debora
Isn't that the crazy sister of the girl we were suppose to marry?I chose Bianca instead (i'm assuming it's the most clishe choice :p)

Well it wasn't the same in DQVIII (unlike DQIV in DQVIII party members had new dialogues only at certain times) and i'm pretty sure that this feature wasn't at all in the DS version of DQIV (the one i beat).

Isn't that the crazy sister of the girl we were suppose to marry?I chose Bianca instead (i'm assuming it's the most clishe choice :p)

I like Bianca but you have to admit that the game is REALLY stacked against anyone besides her. It's even worse in the Super Famicom version.

Lynx_7

From the way people speak of IX I have a feeling I might enjoy it a lot. I had no issues with III's blank slate characters, what they lacked in personality they made up for in customizability and early party composition. If IX offers that same kind of freedom early on then I'm game.

That said there are a lot more aspects that made III as special as it is. The openness of your journey and the freedom to explore the world, the mini story arcs within each town, the breadcrumbs in regards to your father's journey and how you slowly retrace his footsteps and learn about the things he did, the well designed dungeons and some other stuff that would be veering into spoiler territory, so it remains to be seen whether or not IX also excels in those areas.

I played the hell out of III on the GBC back in the day. I've heard amazing things about V so I'll need to check it out at some point. Been enjoying jumping in and out of VII on the 3DS since it came out though.

Raw64life

IV had always been my favorite but after playing VIII 3DS, the improvements they made might have put it over the top for me. V is third for me.

I like III but I'm not a fan of the class system nor am I a fan of having your party be a bunch of faceless avatars you pick up at a bar.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not surprised at 3 being so well-regarded... I remember being so surprised when I saw the ending when little after coming hot off the heels of DQ1 and 2. Game felt so much more epic compared to 1 and 2, with such a huge world and lots of exploration. I am surprised at 4 being so low on the list, I like that one even more than 3!

I played through the entire series earlier this year after DQ8 on the 3DS got me hooked. Even coming to it decades after the fact I think DQ3 is the best. DQ8 is pretty close though. The only game I actually don't like is DQ2. That second half is *rough*.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
DQ Builders needs more love. Underappreciated Sleeper Hit.

FStubbs

The SNES version makes the choice approach being a non-choice.

Deborah and Nera are both funnier than Bianca in the DS versions IMO.

- It's clear Deborah's whole schtick is an act and it feels like the hero is in on it
- Nera is a sweet, goofy, earnest girl
who apparently is REALLY good in bed and brags about it
. The stuff you learn from party chat!

IX is the one I loved the best so I've never understood the dislike. My introduction to DQ was with 8 on PS2 but only got about halfway through. I've started V on DS a couple of times now, but in both cases stopped at the end of part 1. IX I played straight through, couldn't put it down.

The release of VIII for 3DS caused me to have a DQ nostalgia moment and I am revisiting the ones in my collection. I have V and VI for DS, and VIII for 3DS. The quick save log and battle speed up in the 3DS remake of VIII is making that a lot more enjoyable. This time I think I'll finish it. I'm also starting a third try at V. From some reading, VI (still shrink wrapped) is starting to sound interesting with the class system. Ditto for VII, though I haven't grabbed a copy yet. It's still available over at my local Target, so maybe I should pick it up before it is too late. I just don't want it to turn out like Bravely Second. I got that because I thought the classes would be fun, but it's been kind of boring.

Honestly, more than anything I'd like to replay IX again, but I don't want to lose all of the DLC that I'd accumulated back in the day. I suppose I could just hit some more grottos, but I really enjoyed the story too.

Top Bottom