• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese game companies tease at what's in store for 2013

Majmun

Final Fantasy XIII-4 Snow's Haircut

FgZ7i.jpg

Holy shit, that's Snow? Is that a photoshop?

I haven't played FFXIII-2 because of FFXIII. He looks so different there.

GCX

It will be announced on E3 as a PS4 launch title and then delayed at the last moment "due to difficulties in bringing such an ambitious game to a new platform". There'll be no more news at the major games events in 2014 and then we'll hear the game is finally canceled. In 2015 we finally find out only a trailer was ever made.
And then we wake up and realize our lives have only been a dream.

Rad-

Dark Souls 2 is the only Japanese game I'm interested in, and even that might be a 2014 title. Japan has fallen so much.

sublimit

Banned
From SCEJ i expect Rain and perhaps another Vita/PSN game. Anything else belongs in the realm of imagination sadly.

ymmv

Banned
Dark Souls 2 is the only Japanese game I'm interested in, and even that might be a 2014 title. Japan has fallen so much.

Wait, you're completely forgetting about the new Tomb Raider game from SE, a new Castlevania game from Konami and the reinvented DMC game from Capcom!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I hope every year that SNKP would get back into.. talking about, and releasing stuff. At least in SOME way. But it takes so long to make the kinda games we want from them... oy.

At any rate, METAL SLUG you say?!?! I'd love to see something using the expanded character groundwork used in MSXX/7. I had a lot of fun getting to play Ralf, Clark, and Leona in a MS, and I rather like the way everyone has their best weapons, as well as unique abilities.

Hopefully, this means they could do something with WiiU, as well. I'd love a place to drop SNK fanart on Miiverse (already have a few pieces up there), and Dual Screen functionality could actually bring some interesting gameplay elements to the game.

At the same time, wouldn't mind seeing some Vita love from them, either. SNKP were oddly strong supporters of PSP, so some Vita releases might make a lot of sense.

At any rate, it's nice to see some conversation and updates from smaller, more niche JP companies.

The year already seems to be looking promising and bright, and we're still a few days away from it even starting!

AniHawk

well it's one of those years where everything should be coming together. every 3 years since 1998 is usually a big year for the industry- at least in the west

1998: oot, pokemon, metal gear solid, panzer dragoon saga, sonic adventure, banjo-kazooie, final fantasy tactics, half-life, starcraft
2001: final fantasy x, gta iii, halo, ssbm, paper mario, shenmue ii
2004: halo 2, san andreas, half-life 2, paper mario 2, pikmin 2
2007: super mario galaxy, halo 3, the orange box, mass effect, uncharted, bioshock, god of war 2
2010: super mario galaxy 2, bayonetta, red dead redemption, god of war iii, halo reach, starcraft 2, vanquish, 999

2013 (so far): next god of war, pikmin 3, gta v, mgs: ground zeroes and/or metal gear rising as far as returning franchises go.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
At any rate, METAL SLUG you say?!?! I'd love to see something using the expanded character groundwork used in MSXX/7. I had a lot of fun getting to play Ralf, Clark, and Leona in a MS, and I rather like the way everyone has their best weapons, as well as unique abilities.

Yeah, same here. I use Ralf a lot in KOF, so getting to play him in MS was awesome.
Giving characters unique abilities and attributes also adds diversity, other wise your only playing as Marco because he looks cooler than Clark.
Hope they don't go 3D though. MS's sprites are god like :(

GhaleonQ

As interested I am for a new Metal Slug...it's one of only 3 series SNK has ever released any new games for =/

*laughs* That's probably true, but I'll believe that it's a souped-up Metal Slug 8, and then my game of the year list can be wrapped up early. This can't be worse than 2012, anyway.

Ninja Dom

A lot of love for Metal Slug here. Any of you guys play Metal Slug 7 or Metal Slug XX?

I got Metal Slug Anthology on Wii. The later games weren't as good as the earlier games and the earlier games are from the 90's.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A lot of love for Metal Slug here. Any of you guys play Metal Slug 7 or Metal Slug XX?

I got Metal Slug Anthology on Wii. The later games weren't as good as the earlier games and the earlier games are from the 90's.

We were just discussing it a few post up...

A lot of stuff isn't as good as it was in the 90s, lol. Budgets for these kind of games have severly changed. The amount and ease of pumping out iterative releases also has. Talent has been seperated, and moved on, some by choice, others not...

... but even still, I really rather enjoyed MSXX! Some of the gameplay ideas they had were really quite great, and it was great to see that they could still show loads of personality and fun in the designs and animations, when called to do such.

If we could even get an SNK Metal Slug that did for it's series, what Hard Corps Uprising did with Contra, I think most of us would be pretty happy. Make that into a full HD 2D spritework, full retail game, the likes of which 2D (not 2.5!) run-and-gun haven't seen since the 90's, and I think the true successor to the original Slugs could finally emerge.

As long as there's a "Real Game", and not some Social Network or Cellphone game at the end of this "Charge", I'll be quite happy. Go Go HD Fio!

Maybe they'd even try to use some of the Metal Slug Pocket ideas in a new Slug... even more branching paths! Or take some ideas from the Mobile Phone games, such as playing Sgt. Allen, ha.

Globox_82

Banned
SCEJ: 2013 will be another year we won't announce dark cloud 3.

you had to do that, didn't you? How I wish there was a new dark cloud game....
That said SCEJ sounds excited. Let's hope that SSM dude changed things, it looks much better already with puppeteer, rain, soul sacrifice. I hope they are making Demon Souls 2 for PS4, that would be sick...

Globox_82

Banned
well it's one of those years where everything should be coming together. every 3 years since 1998 is usually a big year for the industry- at least in the west

1998: oot, pokemon, metal gear solid, panzer dragoon saga, sonic adventure, banjo-kazooie, final fantasy tactics, half-life, starcraft
2001: final fantasy x, gta iii, halo, ssbm, paper mario, shenmue ii
2004: halo 2, san andreas, half-life 2, paper mario 2, pikmin 2
2007: super mario galaxy, halo 3, the orange box, mass effect, uncharted, bioshock, god of war 2
2010: super mario galaxy 2, bayonetta, red dead redemption, god of war iii, halo reach, starcraft 2, vanquish, 999

2013 (so far): next god of war, pikmin 3, gta v, mgs: ground zeroes and/or metal gear rising as far as returning franchises go.

2009 >> 2010 imo

also

Banned
I'm interested in what Ganbarion is doing. Pandora's Tower was released more than 1 year and a half ago and they've been keeping quiet ever since.

Oh I love these provoking and deep commentaries from Japanese developers. They basically just say "we are making a game. Please look forward to it!" Every.single.time.

I guess elaborating would be too much

sakipon

Oh I love these provoking and deep commentaries from Japanese developers. They basically just say "we are making a game. Please look forward to it!" Every.single.time.

I guess elaborating would be too much

Well, Japanese companies seem to love planning proper announcements in their own schedule. And nothing wrong with that. The big question is why magazines keep asking about future plans when replies are mainly useless.

TreIII

Still waiting on SNKP to start talking about whatever they're going to do with Metal Slug. Hoping for at least a 3DS game...

Tain

fuck that dude, hope for the sky

720p NESICA and CONSOLE and PC release with KOF XII QUALITY ART and MORE MOVES+CHARACTERS THAN 6/7/XX and LONGER THAN SLUG 3 but CONSISTENTLY PACED (unlike slug 3's second half) and DESIGNED TO ARCADE PHILOSOPHIES with NO STAGE SELECT BS but lots of HOME EXTRAS

I'd be happy with a downloadable game as good as XX, but who knows what we're getting.

Top Bottom