• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese only 3DS games?

zroid

Banned
btw - here is what the download cards themselves look like, snapped this on monday

AycQ8vvCIAAC-0_.jpg:large

Dang, that's an attractive looking card. If all the cards are that pretty, it might almost make me not mind relinquishing the right to a box.

Drago

For anyone wondering, I e-mailed Nintendo about possibly changing the region of an imported XL to NA, and got this response:

The hunt for white NA 3DS continues.
Thats much more of a response than what I got, lol

White needs to get here now D:

I really wanna import one 3DS LL, maybe with One Piece and Monster Hunter...maybe Project Mirai but there's Taiko...but after some time I get tired of Taiko. -___-

hmmm...decisions, decisions.

I really wanna import one 3DS LL, maybe with One Piece and Monster Hunter...maybe Project Mirai but there's Taiko...but after some time I get tired of Taiko. -___-

hmmm...decisions, decisions.

I refuse to pay $70 for Hatsune Miku. That shit needs to be put on sale, it only has 19 songs in it I think? o_o;

Drago

I think once digital retail games become more common on JP 3DS's, I'll jump in and get one so I won't have to pay crazy import prices.

MidnightScott, do you know any Japanese? If not, how hard is it to play through JP games?

Zornica

Banned
I think once digital retail games become more common on JP 3DS's, I'll jump in and get one so I won't have to pay crazy import prices.

MidnightScott, do you know any Japanese? If not, how hard is it to play through JP games?
depends on what you want.
Do you care for story? than good luck with that. Do you want gameplay? than it's not that hard to figure out how a game works with some trial&error and common sense.

I got 2 examples.
I played through xenoblade, the gameplay was fun enough to keep me going, the cut scenes were well acted so I could pick up some story clues, and in the end I kinda knew what everyone was saying in dialogues, even if I couldn't understand a single word. So I was able to finish the game without any problems, It even made me appriciate the game more than I'd ever have with just the european version.

on the other hand: I tried Tales of Graces, the gameplay was mediocre, the story was mostly told through skits, cut scenes were badly acted. I quit after 3 hours. It's still unfinished to this day...

I hope this helped

(I also imported Zero 4, which was easy to understand and to play, rpgs are much harder to grasp.)

Nope I don't know Japanese lol, I know I'm
Crazy. I mostly play music games and bizarre games where you don't need the story. Although I did import Pokemon White in 2010.

So yeah I don't import much unless it's a music game or something where you don't need to know the story to have fun (Senran Kagura)

I might import Project X Zone but haven't made up my mind yet.

GWX

For anyone wondering, I e-mailed Nintendo about possibly changing the region of an imported XL to NA, and got this response:

The hunt for white NA 3DS continues.

That's a surprisingly nice response, actually. Of course the answer is what we expected (which sucks), but still.

Where do you guys get your games? Play-asia, CDjapan?

Play-Asia or NCSX, depending on how soon I want the game and the price. Play-Asia has only taken maybe 10 days to get me a game with the cheapest shipping which is just fine by me.

Someone teach me how to play Taiko no Tatsujin.
I play it using the buttons on the system instead of the touch screen, it's really easy. The face buttons & d-pad are all for the Red drums and the L & R buttons are for the Blue drums.

304876_10150944212191646_1144162739_n.jpg

Ken

Play-Asia or NCSX, depending on how soon I want the game and the price. Play-Asia has only taken maybe 10 days to get me a game with the cheapest shipping which is just fine by me.

I play it using the buttons on the system instead of the touch screen, it's really easy. The face buttons & d-pad are all for the Red drums and the L & R buttons are for the Blue drums.

Oh, I want to play it with the touch pad. :(

What does the big blue circle mean? I think big red circle = hit center of drum but not sure what big blue one means.

Oh, I want to play it with the touch pad. :(

What does the big blue circle mean? I think big red circle = hit center of drum but not sure what big blue one means.

Big Red = Center and face of the drum
Big Blue = Edge of Drum and outside area of the drum (you tap both with both styli)

The bigger drums give bigger scores.

So nice to see others besides myself playing the new Taiko no Tatsujin :) For me, the adventure mode is the best one yet, although the song selection probably isn't.

hongcha

I recommend Gon baku baku baku baku Adventure, it's a great platformer that is reminiscent of the 16 bit days. It's one of my favorite games on the system, and sadly unknown to most.

I recommend Gon baku baku baku baku Adventure, it's a great platformer that is reminiscent of the 16 bit days. It's one of my favorite games on the system, and sadly unknown to most.

Yeah, this one looked pretty interesting. I've downloaded the demo but yet to play it. Nice to hear that it's decent though!

sakipon

I liked the demo but am not completely sure whether the health system is great or not (Gon has to keep on eating, you press a button to swallow the fruits). It's a nice idea but on the other hand keeping an eye on that seemed to consume my attention. I suppose leveling up Gon's skills makes it smoother later in the game?

I liked the demo but am not completely sure whether the health system is great or not (Gon has to keep on eating, you press a button to swallow the fruits). It's a nice idea but on the other hand keeping an eye on that seemed to consume my attention. I suppose leveling up Gon's skills makes it smoother later in the game?

Haha, dat Tokyo Jungle influence ;p

BriBri

Pre-ordered Project X Zone today. Incredibly excited for this.

Gonna download Super Mario Bros 1/2, Rockman and Balloon Fight GB next week when my LL arrives.

Also tempted by New Love Plus and Monster Hunter Tri G.

A week on Tales of the Abyss and Pokémon Conquest on my UK original first.

so has any other games that have already been released on retail been put up to download on eshop?

as i plan to get a japanese 3DS I was hoping to see a whole load of games on eshop when I buy the machine.

Drago

so has any other games that already released on retail up to download on eshop?

as i plan to get a japanese 3DS I was hoping to see a whole load of games on eshop when I buy the machine.

Just NSMB2 and Oni Training for now, with every future Nintendo release confirmed to be digital

I expect more will come eventually, but it is unknown

I could see myself buying Japanese 3rd party games digitally to save money on importing and waiting but I'll stick to retail for western releases.

Drago

How much USD would it cost me to get a 4800 yen game? As in, how much would be taken off my debit card?

Or whatever price most 3DS games are in Japan/on eShop

Ken

How much USD would it cost me to get a 4800 yen game? As in, how much would be taken off my debit card?

Doesn't the debit card just go with whatever the current rate is?

4800 Japanese yen = 61.4208 U.S. dollars from Google.

The thing about the debit card is that I don't know if it gets charged in yen, you might get a foreign transaction fee. I just use my credit card now because it doesn't have a fee for it.

StayDead

After getting Rune Factory 4 four or so days ago it's taken over my 3DS. It's so addictive >_<

I've been switching on Oni Training in the morning to do my training, then after that Rune Factory 4 has been already in the machine so I just start it up. I don't want to forget about Etrian Oddesy 4, but I guess one more day of Rune Factory won't hurt... right? :p

Doesn't help that in two days Ark Systemworks Amnesia puzzle type game is coming and Fire Emblem NES, although I might skip on the latter for a while.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
damn it - been holding off on RF4 ... "THAT IS THE SMELL OF INEVITABILITY..."

That said - i have Oni training and Mario and i've not even opened them

Drago

Doesn't the debit card just go with whatever the current rate is?

4800 Japanese yen = 61.4208 U.S. dollars from Google.

The thing about the debit card is that I don't know if it gets charged in yen, you might get a foreign transaction fee. I just use my credit card now because it doesn't have a fee for it.
Alright, thanks you two.

Prices don't seem too different from import pricing so I guess if I ever get a JP 3DS I'll go both physical and digital then :)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The Samurai School with the cute girl sporting an eye-patch. <3 I WANT IT. :(

StayDead

damn it - been holding off on RF4 ... "THAT IS THE SMELL OF INEVITABILITY..."

That said - i have Oni training and Mario and i've not even opened them

I'm just going to come out and say that I got Oni Training on download as I was interested in the concept and I wanted to support the download promotion as I'd already preordered NSMB2 for Import and it's pleasantly surprised me. It's been what, 3 days? I already feel myself getting better at the training he's laid out in this game and there's a lot more interactivity between you and Kawashima this time so it feels more like he's actually tutoring you to improve your mind ability. This is coming from a complete brain train skeptic as I gave up on that after 2 days.

The training is vastly improved over Brain Training too.

Just found out I have like $25 in Play-Asia store credit. o_o

Wondering if I should use it on Project X Zone or should I just hold off for now? :)

Where could I get the best price for a JPN 3DS? Reallllly want a lot of these exclusives.

EDIT: http://www.yesasia.com/us/3ds-monst...ed-game-console/1030425512-0-0-0-en/info.html

Is that a decent price? I want Monster Hunter, so it would make sense. Although I'd prefer a white console.

They have the White 3DS, you could just buy it and the game separately, still end up being almost the same price. White 3DS, Monster Hunter 3G

beanman25

Just found out I have like $25 in Play-Asia store credit. o_o

Wondering if I should use it on Project X Zone or should I just hold off for now? :)

They have the White 3DS, you could just buy it and the game separately, still end up being almost the same price. White 3DS, Monster Hunter 3G

I didn't even think about looking. Expected it to cost more, but it actually totals out to less. Good stuff. Looks like I'm going this route!

Just recently grabbed a Japanese 3DS and a few games. Currently looking into another order and was thinking of grabbing the Kunio game. Any thoughts on it? I gave the demo a shot and had a blast but I was under the impression this wss a remake of the arcade game. The demo contains some small score attack missions and a battle royal mode, is this how the full game plays out or are these just side modes to give you a taste of the combat? Any thoughts are appreciated!

beanman25

Just recently grabbed a Japanese 3DS and a few games. Currently looking into another order and was thinking of grabbing the Kunio game. Any thoughts on it? I gave the demo a shot and had a blast but I was under the impression this wss a remake of the arcade game. The demo contains some small score attack missions and a battle royal mode, is this how the full game plays out or are these just side modes to give you a taste of the combat? Any thoughts are appreciated!

What titles did you pick up? I'm about to import one, but am not sure which games I want. Probably will get 4-5.

I went with some games that were on sale for my first purchase rather than the full priced games I really wanted. I still wanted the games they just wouldnt have been my first choice. I got Gundam the 3D Battle, Runabout 3D Drive Impossible, Super Black Bass and Jewel Pet. Don't have the games handy for the full titles.

Gundam is pretty good and last I checked dropped $10 since I picked it up. Decent mission based action title from Artdink. There is a video review on youtube that gives a good idea of how it plays.

Runabout is a new entry in the series that is announced for Us and Euro under the title Crash city Gp. I love the series and have imported all the past games so I went with tradition and grabbed this. Nice entry in the series but unfortunately I hit a slight roadblock. In the fourth mission you have to tail a female spy. No big thing until you reach the end of the 12 minute long mission and are asked a question.
Getit wrong and it is back to the start. My Japanese is hardly what you would call good so it is gonna require skme trial and error. Still, unless you have a decent grasp of Japanese I'd recommend waiting for the eventual Us release.

I really enjoyed the Ds Blsck Bass titles so I had some hopes for the 3DS entry. It was set for a budget Us release for awhile before seemingly getting dropped along with the Us release of another Jp fishing game. Sadly I sm very disappointed in this. I was prepared for the subpar graphics coming from the ds games. What I wasn't prepared for was the gyro based "Real/Reel Rod" being forced. I thought it was going to be an optional control method but unless I am missing an option, the only way to cast and control the rod is via the motion sensin gyro controls. Not my cup of tea.

Jewel Pet is a rhythm game aimed at young girls. Has some virtusl pet/AR elements but the draw for me is the rhythm gameplay. I am a huge fan of rhythm games and in fact Hatsune Miku and Taiko no Tatsujin were two of the driving forces behind me getting a Japanese 3DS. Jewel Pet has some decent stylus based rhtyhm gameplay. Think Ouendan skewed slightly younger and made to sell toys to young girls. The difficulty isn't there but if you love rhythm games you could do a lot worse. Tons of unlockable hit sounds ala Taiko. Again, easy but fun for fans of the genre who want more. Obviously get Taiko, Miku, Theatrhythm, Rhythm Thief first but as a companion this ain't bad.

Top Bottom