• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese only 3DS games?

BriBri

I just got my 3DS LL today and don't know how to register for the Japanese Club Nintendo. I know the URL is http://club.nintendo.jp but after clicking a couple of correct buttons (from using google translate) I get to some red text with a picture of a laptop, a mobile phone and a Wii. Only the Wii is clickable and I can't progress.

Any help would be appreciated. All I want is my Donkey Ling arcade;(

Amazing machine though! Got Monster Hunter with it and just downloaded a shit load of demos:)

Yay! Silver X Black!

qwgs8.jpg

Arrived today. With:

5j2A5.jpg

Gonna download some demos, any recommendations off DD games on the Japanese eShop?

Zornica

Banned
I just got my 3DS LL today and don't know how to register for the Japanese Club Nintendo. I know the URL is http://club.nintendo.jp but after clicking a couple of correct buttons (from using google translate) I get to some red text with a picture of a laptop, a mobile phone and a Wii. Only the Wii is clickable and I can't progress.

Any help would be appreciated. All I want is my Donkey Ling arcade;(

Amazing machine though! Got Monster Hunter with it and just downloaded a shit load of demos:)

can you make a screenshot? I have no access to jp club nintendo, but maybe I can help this way.

Zornica

Banned
Did you enter an e-mail address?
I think I'm going blind when trying to read this, but It sounds to me like you should enter one.
And it's probably best if it's either .jp or .com

BriBri

Wow. I think that works. Thanks so much. Just got an email (in Japanese!) from Nintendo. Will google translate tomorrow as Tales of the Abyss and bed now. And I think it may've been because I was using a .co.uk address. Changed to .com. Thanks again!

BriBri

I'm stuck again! The website is asking for my name in hiragana. I found a kanji - hiragana translator which translates my first name where the Club Nintendo website accepts but not my surname (Cooper) which it translates to hiragana as くーぱー but when I click ok I get a 名(ふりがな)はひらがなで入力して下さい。response. Any help would be appreciated!

Zornica

Banned
cooper -> くうぱ
I am not sure what kind of translator that is, but "-" isn't part of the hiragana alphabet, so site won't accept those. Copy and Paste くうぱ . it should work.

Ended up grabbing the Kunio game the day before Play-asia started their sale...heh. Still, it was well worth it and I highly recommend it to fans of the series. It is certainly much better than the Ds releases. There is a demo up on the eshop if you are curious, but I'm sure you all knew that.

The full game features 4 main modes: Story, Arcade, Mission and Battle Royale. They are all pretty self explanatory with arcade being a remake of the arcade original that we got over here in the butchered form of Vigilante I believe it was called. Story mode is fun and reminiscent of past Kunio console games. Mission mode offers bite sized missions perfect for a quick bit of action. Battle Royale lets you pit any four unlocked fighters in a free for all on multiple maps.

Controls are customizable and are defaulted on the classic punch and kick as A and B with a jump being performed by pressing both together. Arcade mode eschews separate punch and kick, instead opting for left and right attack. Nothing fancy but it works great. I love the ability to zoom in with the triggersand see the glorious pixels close up.

You should at least be able to play Runabout eventually as it is set for both a Euro and Us release. The name will be changed to Crash City Gp.

hongcha

Here is my review of Gon Baku Baku Baku Baku Adventure, which I previously mentioned in this thread was one of my favorite 3DS games:

Developed by the ex-Capcom company Inti Creates which made such games as Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10, and last year's excellent 3DS platformer Crayon Shin-Chan Uchuu DE Achoo!? Yuujoo no Obakarate!!, Gon Baku Baku Baku Baku Adventure is another solid side-scrolling platformer from this company.

Gon is a character also found in the Tekken series, he's basically just a little yellow dinosaur. There was a Super Famicom game released way back in 1994 simply titled Gon, to which this 3DS game is a sequel of sorts. The Super Famicom game, while also a platformer at heart, was quite weird and experimental. The 3DS game is much more structured and features more classically designed stages, abilities, and a world map. The game's premise is Gon likes to eat, and he's after the legendary "Mysterious Food" all other animals in the world hold in high regard. On his quest to get this food, he will travel through four different worlds and face five bosses. Each world has multiple stages and hidden "feeding ground" stages you can use to boost your Gon point total. Gon points are obtained from eating food and the points can be used to buy one of four upgrade abilities, which increase the amount of food you can hold in your mouth before you swallow, increase the rate of food drops from enemies, speed up swallowing time (believe me, this sounds silly but it really comes in handy in parts of the game), and make hidden things in the background more apparent.

Gon does not have a traditional life bar. Rather, he has a vertical meter that charts when his stomach gets empty and up to four added abilities (these were listed at the end of the previous paragraph). You get a game over only when your stomach meter empties out. To keep it full, you need to keep finding and chewing food with the Y button, then press the X button to swallow and refill the meter when it's nearing emptying out. It sounds laborious but it actually isn't, and the slight sense of tension this pseudo in-game timer adds to the game keeps you on your toes. Your abilities wipe out after 3 hits from enemies. And when they're gone, you have to buy them with Gon points all over again.

Throughout his journey, Gon also learns permanent upgrade skills, such as the headbutting skill he can use on enemies. By pressing R at any time, Gon switches to a first person view of the background, where animals and plants are hiding. You can interact with some of these, for example, you can headbutt certain trees to knock down fruit, or open new paths. Hidden animals you spot are added to your encyclopedia which tracks your progress of all animals found and fruits eaten.

The game lists all of the food available for a stage when you enter it, and if you collect at least one of each type of food, you get a stamp showing your accomplishment. Stamps are also rewarded for finding all of the hidden animals in a stage and getting the high score on a boss stage.

The boss fights are actually just races against a boss to eat the most amount of food in an allotted time. These are really well done, and while they start out easy, they soon progress to a nice challenge. Getting the high score on a few of them is quite difficult, and I still haven't managed to do it on the Squid boss yet.

The graphics are typical 2.5D stuff, with polygonal characters and backgrounds played through a 2D side scrolling plane. I found the art and style of the game to be quite above average. The 3D effect is adequate, but nothing special. I turned it on in parts of the game, but I left it off in most of it. There is also a bonus flying stage, but this only lets you use gyroscrope controls and I found it quite difficult to use. Thankfully, this stage is completely unnecessary, so you can safely bypass it.

The music and sound effects are another highlight, I particularly enjoyed the music in the snow stages, it reminded me of Squaresoft games like Secret of Mana.

In regard to complaints, I think navigating the world map could have been a bit easier, you can only travel to other locations from one of the nests in a stage. I also wished there was a "max upgrade" option when you buy abilities, as it takes a bit too much time to individually buy all three levels of two of the upgrades and you will have to do this many times throughout the game.

It took me 4 hours to clear the game, and I've spent another hour going back into stages and searching for missing food and hidden animals. I still have a few to find and I still need to get the high score in a few boss fights. Overall, this is a really charming game that feels like a Super Famicom platformer. It has a simple charm, nice level design, a unique gameplay mechanic, and great music. If you're looking for a nice Japanese platformer for your 3DS, give the demo on the eshop a try and see if you like it.

My rating: 8/10.

I spent more than 25 hours on Calciobit...

It's far less complex than a typical manager such as SEGA's Football Manager, but i don't know why i'm really into it

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah Calciobit is pretty so-so in reality but it's so charming that i put a ton of time in the GBA version - the 3DS version didn't quite keep me hooked as long, but still liked it for what it was. Would get ripped to shreds as a European release in it's current state though - it's just waaaaaaay to lightweight.

But anyways , in a similar theme - i'm now addicted to Airport Hero Honolulu.

Bringing that Air Sonic plane down safely ! wooooot!

http://a.yfrog.com/img833/3368/omzdnbojibxjkmhtjuinsb.mp4

Leaving ... on a low poly jet plane, I know that i'll be back again....
oh babe, i hate to go....

A0-KA8_CMAAjarj.jpg

BriBri

Excellent review Hongcha. I've downloaded the demo but such a backlog although I don't think I'll wait til I finish Rockman 2 until I start any new games. Might be a long wait.

And so I have Senran Kegura, Kokuga, Bravely Default and Project X Zone on pre-order. Hoping Luigi's Mansion 2 keeps its 2012 Japanese date.

hongcha

But anyways , in a similar theme - i'm now addicted to Airport Hero Honolulu.

Wow, I hadn't even heard of this game but I love these quirky types of games and I love Hawaii. I found it on Amazon JP just now and placed an order. Thanks for the tip!

DCharlie

hongcha - please note this is about air traffic control rather than flying planes in and out - it's about designating approaches, landing strips, load/unload points and handling communications :)

the game came out in the west on the DS as Air Traffic Chaos.

Personally, i love the series - but it might be a touch slow for some at the start. It is -absolute- chaos later on though. :)

(on another note, Gon is sitting on the shelf with the rest of the huge backlog(tm) - i should get to it - quite liked the SFC game so keep meaning to give it a whirl)

hongcha

Thanks for the info. It's sounds about what I expected after reading through the info on the Japanese site. I'm willing to give just about any genre a try once.

wsippel

Banned
Wow so Nintendo of America said if they were to fix my Japanese 3DS the region would be switched to North America and then I wouldn't be able to play my Japanese games anymore. There seems to be a problem where if I shake the 3DS a message saying the SD card popped out comes out and it's quite annoying. It's had that problem since I bought it last August.
Try putting a small piece of paper or thin cardboard in the slot, on top of the SD card (the side without contacts), pressing it slightly against the pins. This problem is often related to too high tolerances. I had this a number of times with a number of devices, and the cardboard trick worked every single time.

hongcha

Airport Hero 3D Honolulu is pretty great. Took me awhile to get a grips with how to play it, but last night I beat the first stage and it was awesome. Almost got a perfect score, just missed a few points because some passengers got mad on one of my departures as I made them wait a bit too long before take off. Also pretty amazing that you can switch all communication voice and text to English (menus and commands and stuff are all still in Japanese, though).

In other JP game news, I have Senran Kagura Burst coming tomorrow, and I'm debating on whether to get Soul Hackers tomorrow too. Anyone want to try to convince me? I haven't found a Persona game that I like enough to play through to the end (I've played them all except 1) and this looks like more of the same of that stuff. Is it?

DCharlie

In other JP game news, I have Senran Kagura Burst coming tomorrow, and I'm debating on whether to get Soul Hackers tomorrow too. Anyone want to try to convince me? I haven't found a Persona game that I like enough to play through to the end (I've played them all except 1) and this looks like more of the same of that stuff. Is it?

yeah, i don't htink you'll suddenly fall in love with Soul Hackers if the previous games did nothing for you :(

Glad you are enjoying Airport Hero - i had my first large disaster when i had two planes collide on their way to take off on level 4 :/

oops!

Zornica

Banned
I wonder why this didn't get any coverage, never heard of it until this thread, not even saw it pop up in the media create threads.
kinda sad, you all seem to like it and it sounds like one of my favorite games from 15 years ago called airline tycoon.

Debating grabbing Guild 01 and was wondering if anyone has played it? With the news of only three of the four games being localized and digital only at that, it seems like importing is the way to go for me. Current plan is to buy the digital version of Crimson Shroud and grab the cart to get the other three games. Any thoughts on the Blacksmith game that isn't coming to the us? Playable without Japanese? I know Ill miss out on the funny story but the rhythm based gameplay intrigues me.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Sorry about bumping this thread, but I am really on the fence of picking a Japanese 3DS up, only thing is logically that is a dumb idea to buy it for only 3 games. The only ones that I am eyeing right now are Project Mirai, Senran Kagura Burst, and Taiko 3DS. Of course, Project Mirai 2 is coming in the future but I feel like it's still debatable on whether or not it's reasonable to buy another 3DS.

GamerJM

Banned
Sorry about bumping this thread, but I am really on the fence of picking a Japanese 3DS up, only thing is logically that is a dumb idea to buy it for only 3 games. The only ones that I am eyeing right now are Project Mirai, Senran Kagura Burst, and Taiko 3DS. Of course, Project Mirai 2 is coming in the future but I feel like it's still debatable on whether or not it's reasonable to buy another 3DS.

There's also Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime 3, which has been Japan-only for like two years now :(. Also dunno if you care but personally I want a physical release of Ace Attorney 5, granted I'll pick up the downloadable US one as well. There's also stuff that should get localized like Dragon Quest VII, Layton vs. Ace Attorney, and Fantasy Life but there's no guarantee.

Nice bump. Pretty cool to think of all the localizations that we have now :)

What localizations? Nothing for 3DS was announced at Anime Expo or anywhere recently, I mean One Piece: Romance Dawn was announced for EU, but Naco Bandai told Gematsu they have no plans for NA, GOD DAMMIT.

So I made a petition:

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petiti...-for-nintendo-3ds-to-retail-in-north-america#

I keep telling everyone I can to sign and spread it, Go Nintendo and other sites haven't responded to me at all about it... :/

Skelter

Banned
There's also Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime 3, which has been Japan-only for like two years now :(. Also dunno if you care but personally I want a physical release of Ace Attorney 5, granted I'll pick up the downloadable US one as well. There's also stuff that should get localized like Dragon Quest VII, Layton vs. Ace Attorney, and Fantasy Life but there's no guarantee.

Gah, I want Fantasy Life the most. Yes, even more than Dragon Quest VII. This looks like a game for people who like Animal Crossing and Rune Factory.

Top Bottom