• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Persona fans rank their favorite characters in the series.

EVOL 100%

Yukiko is the worst character in P4.

She might have been inoffensive if she didn't have that godawful 'endearing character trait'.

Chie is bizarrely mean to Yosuke, but only Yosuke. Yukiko is self-obsessed, boring and aloof around everyone.

I'm pretty sure Yosuke's job in P4 is to get beat up a lot. He's Yu's trusty wingman. It's a terrible life but someone's got to be the bumbling sidekick whose only purpose is to make his friend look good!

Artemisia

Banned
I don't get the love for the MC. You control him and he doesn't say anything outside of what you choose for him to say.

does this mean the japanese are narcissists? :O

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't get the love for the MC. You control him and he doesn't say anything outside of what you choose for him to say.

does this mean the japanese are narcissists? :O

Nah. Most probably they are dreamers you know... imagining themselves as a cool lad that can make many hot girls falling in love with him simultaneously.

kewlmyc

Considering that P4 is the most popular Persona game worldwide, I can see why the P4 characters dominate so much. I can also see why P1/P2 characters are absent considering most modern Persona fans have never played them. I also find it funny that Yu is the most popular P4 character and Minato is the most popular P3 character. If you ignore the anime and movies, then they pretty much are voting for themselves as the best character. Yosuke being second is odd, but I actually like his character so whatever. I already knew Naoto and Chie were the most popular females so that was no surprise. I am mad that they ignore Junpei and Kanji though. What the fuck, Japan? Rise being the least popular girl is also a surprise. I thought it would have been Yukiko, the worst character in the game. Oh well.

Also, hasn't this list been out for a while now? They post a new one in each magazine, which is monthly.

You should post the persona rankings too. If I recall, the top 3 are (in order): Izanagi, Thanatos, and Alice.

Dantis

I never knew people hate both Yukari and Junpei. Then again I haven't gotten very far in the game.

Probably because they're very imperfect? I thought they were the only believable characters in P3. Fuuka, Mitsuru, Akihiko and Shinjiro especially were walking cliches (Not to say I dislike them, mind).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Probably because they're very imperfect? I thought they were the only believable characters in P3. Fuuka, Mitsuru, Akihiko and Shinjiro especially were walking cliches (Not to say I dislike them, mind).

Agreed. They took the walking cliche thing even further with the P4 chars.

Venfayth

I completely agreed with this list until they stopped writing Yukiko part of the way through number 1. Strange.

Someone else liked Chihiro? JUSTIFIED.

Completely forgot about her. I did like her as a side character. Wish she played an even larger role, but maybe what she had was fine.

Aexact

While that is true I tried to play that shit on psp and I can't do it anymore. Believe me I tried but the combat is slow and the encounter rate is way to high, the story can't save it for me because I already know it from playing it long time ago.

Actually playing Persona 2:IS was wretched. Combat was sluggish, even after I turned off animations on the PSP version. Even if you used that spell that let you avoid battles (which just emphasizes that battles are boring), the dungeons were uninteresting halls frequently organized in ways that don't give you the impression that they're actual buildings but haphazardly stitched boxes to form a dungeon will annoying traps. Not fun to navigate.

Demon contracting is necessary to get demons and the first few times the same demons respond differently when you give them the same answer is cute and gives the amused impression that these two are different demons. But eventually, when you're grinding for cards and some of the dialogue trees repeat for different demons, it becomes irritating when one response that used to make the demon happy now makes them angry when you just want their Tarot cards so you can finally make new demons.

However, P2's tone was more grim then P3 and P4's leisurely go to school and build social link atmosphere. The cast were personally involved in the stakes (and they're pretty high personal stakes), which made the conflict feel closer and more resonant.

Been on a persona kick over the last couple of weeks, finally finished P1, ran through P2 (PSP IS, and PSX EP) and and now on the final month of P3P (FeMC) and like most old school fans am saddened by the lack of Nanjo, Elly, Maya, and the rest of the EP cast. Baofu and Katsuya had one of the best antagonistic relationships I've seen in an RPG, and Maya is just plain win.

Still, I do like most of the newer characters in p3/4 with the horrible exception of Ken. I mean I disliked him on my first playthough of P3, but man I HATED him playing through as FeMC. He was awful, the fact that they decided that HE needed a romance route is still disturbing as all hell to me. The fact that in that route you sleep with him (in the Japanese version anyway) is just gross, and really makes me question just what the hell they were thinking.

As for the other majorly hated character in this thread Junpei, he was alright on my first playthough, but I actually loved the guy on the FeMC route, FeMC/Junpei may be my favorite bromance in the entire series.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I always liked Yukari myself, better than Mitsuru anyway. Wierd that Junpei doesn't make the list but Yosuke does, and they are more or less the same character.

Top Bottom