• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese PS3 goes live in less than 6 days....wheres the excitement/updates????

Bebpo

Banned
Troidal said:
*gasp* Those are bold words!

I played Resistance at E3 and really felt generic. I’ll give props to the graphics though. I have been waiting for F.E.A.R. in a long time, and I have enjoyed the slow-mo gunfights from little that I’ve played.

Resistance to me felt and looked like another Doom clone, but hey they can still prove me wrong. I am also playing Quake 4 right now so I think I have my monster-horror FPS dosage juuust fine ;-)

Well the difference between the two is that Resistance gives you the epic, huge landscapes, big battle story...whereas F.E.A.R. is a hallway office shooter. To me, games in the former category are really amazing experiences if done correctly (Halo, Half-life), whereas the latter category just bores me out of my mind (Doom3).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Well the difference between the two is that Resistance gives you the epic, huge landscapes, big battle story...whereas F.E.A.R. is a hallway office shooter. To me, games in the former category are really amazing experiences if done correctly (Halo, Half-life), whereas the latter category just bores me out of my mind (Doom3).

Each to thier own, i think FEAR is a pretty decent game. Resistance single player at TGS , i thought, was pretty good and i love the setting. I'm not going to do anything riot-inducing by predicting whether Resistance is going to be better or not (as a single player game), but i think Troidals point is that there is nothing in Resistance that is this absolutely must have machine pushing game.

Now, i can already hear the angry typing of several people - i , personally, am most interested in Resistance out of the launch titles, but that doesn't stop the fact that at the end of the day, if i didn't get to play it for a month or two because of not getting a machine, it's not going to kill me in the same was as , say, not getting an N64/Mario 64 would have hurt.

Troidal

I know I shouldn’t take Famitsu’s words at face value, but even they said it was an “ordinary FPS”. Don’t get me wrong, if I am keeping my PS3, Resistance is the only game I will buy and play for sure. But why bother when I got 2 other FPS that I’ll be spending time on?

For any FPS/third-person shooters, I stopped buying the hype long time ago. Another reason why I am awaiting the verdict on GoW. I ain’t getting that day one either. Now if they had a playable demo available, that will always help me decide.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've got a preorder, but god! The price they quoted me is rape rape launch day. I'm seriously considering cancelling my preorder and waiting for a while. It's a lot of money to spend, and I still have to buy a wii...

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
Each to thier own, i think FEAR is a pretty decent game. Resistance single player at TGS , i thought, was pretty good and i love the setting. I'm not going to do anything riot-inducing by predicting whether Resistance is going to be better or not (as a single player game), but i think Troidals point is that there is nothing in Resistance that is this absolutely must have machine pushing game.

Now, i can already hear the angry typing of several people - i , personally, am most interested in Resistance out of the launch titles, but that doesn't stop the fact that at the end of the day, if i didn't get to play it for a month or two because of not getting a machine, it's not going to kill me in the same was as , say, not getting an N64/Mario 64 would have hurt.

I guess to each his own like you say.

I will honestly be really upset if I don't get to play Resistance in 2006. It's the same level of AAA launch title as Zelda to me personally. It has nothing to do with the hype, but rather that I like Insomniac's prior work and the setting/style of the game is a vibe I really dig.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DCharlie said:

The question you have to ask yourself is: Who is more ****ed? You or me? You may not get one, but I'm guaranteed one at a ****ing ridiculously stupid price.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Unlike the PS3, everything last gen seems to be getting games I want to play. So I guess there's nothing to be excited about. "/ Would be nice though, but the price, scarcity and no interesting games means rk waits!

sp0rsk said:
Actually, the best idea might be to get a japanese ps3. "But why sp0rsk?" You are probably asking yourself right now. I'll tell you why! If you look at the current XBox360 import situation you will notice most american games are totally region free. You will also notice that not a single japanese game is region free. So if you own a JP360 you get the best of both worlds! Sp0rsk thinks that this will be the case with ps3 as well, thus buying a jp ps3 is the best way to get your sony gaming on.

PS3 games are CONFIRMED 100% region free.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It's the same level of AAA launch title as Zelda to me personally.

wowzers -
well, for me , i don't think we've seen any AAA next gen games yet (theres a lot of good games, but there is nothing totally essential (Chromehounds online has been the closest for me) , i haven't seen enough of Resistance to make that call either at this point, it's certainly good, but -for me- it didn't whisper "i'm triple A, ba-e-otch!"

Not long to find out, hopefully we'll know a bit more on saturday.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Troidal said:
*gasp* Those are bold words!

I played Resistance at E3 and really felt generic. I’ll give props to the graphics though. I have been waiting for F.E.A.R. in a long time, and I have enjoyed the slow-mo gunfights from little that I’ve played.

Resistance to me felt and looked like another Doom clone, but hey they can still prove me wrong. I am also playing Quake 4 right now so I think I have my monster-horror FPS dosage juuust fine ;-)
Wow, I'm absolutely shocked to hear that. :O

Seriously, FEAR was one of THE most generic and awful PC FPS titles I had played in years. The gunplay was fairly entertaining, but everything else was straight terrible (and I was a fan of Doom 3). You spend the majority of the game making your way through cut and paste office corridors while fighting the same few enemies over and over again. There were a few interesting segments, but overall, the game was a borefest.

Honestly, I can't think of a single FPS I disliked more than FEAR over the past year or so. *shrug* To each his own, as you say. :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
dark10x said:
Wow, I'm absolutely shocked to hear that. :O

Seriously, FEAR was one of THE most generic and awful PC FPS titles I had played in years. The gunplay was fairly entertaining, but everything else was straight terrible (and I was a fan of Doom 3). You spend the majority of the game making your way through cut and paste office corridors while fighting the same few enemies over and over again. There were a few interesting segments, but overall, the game was a borefest.

Honestly, I can't think of a single FPS I disliked more than FEAR over the past year or so. *shrug* To each his own, as you say. :)
I will say though, and I've not played a bit of FEAR single player, the multiplayer with that time slow down thinger was some of the most fun I had had with a PC game in...years.

thetrin

Sigh...I really don't want to spend this much money. :(

jiggle

Dahbomb said:
ps3_01.jpg

Is this out? Are there any new info/pics? (re: FFXIII & vs. XIII)

jiggle said:
Is this out? Are there any new info/pics? (re: FFXIII & vs. XIII)

Nomura said that the next trailer for vs could feature battle footage but they weren't going to progress with the game until the White Engine is copletely done.

RSLAEV

All you JGaffers that won't be able to get one at least take pictures of the inevitable carnage and post them. An event like this only happens once every few years :)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I'm hoping people up here don't play video games, and I can just stroll into the shops and get one on Saturday. he he :/

cvxfreak

RSLAEV said:
All you JGaffers that won't be able to get one at least take pictures of the inevitable carnage and post them. An event like this only happens once every few years :)

We can count on the Japanese gaming and general press to cover the event, as well as the Wii one.

Hell, the gaming ones should cover Love and Berry on DS if it's gonna do as well as the Famitsu big wig says it will. :)

And if I fail to procure a Japanese PS3, can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get me Biohazard Director's Cut off the PSP download store? :(

Jonnyram

Something else is happening too.
I noticed a lot of stores are announcing a restock on DSlites on 11/11.
The carnage will be extreme.

Troidal

Jonnyram said:

And it will be hilarious when someone falls into the WRONG line, muahahahaha....

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:

Oh god, the PS3 didn't even get a chance to sell the best IN A SINGLE DAY.

Damn, good luck you guys! :lol

SolidSnakex said:
Nomura said that the next trailer for vs could feature battle footage but they weren't going to progress with the game until the White Engine is copletely done.

next trailer?

we haven't even ****ing seen the first trailer yet! :lol

Xeke

Banned
So that means for at least a short period of time this holiday season Nintendo is going to defeat Sony on all fronts for the first time since when?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Is it even POSSIBLE for someone to put in a region lock? i.e. NBA/NFL/wrestling games with per-region licenses...wouldn't they be pretty unhappy about that?

Bebpo

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Is it even POSSIBLE for someone to put in a region lock? i.e. NBA/NFL/wrestling games with per-region licenses...wouldn't they be pretty unhappy about that?

How do they handle those games on PSP/DS/GBA?

consoul

Games with region licensed content are only sold in that region, but are still playable on all hardware.

Example: Jump Superstars on DS.

Zweisy1

PS3 games are CONFIRMED 100% region free.

That's a good thing. Would be even better if I could still actually order PS3 games from Japan to Europe.

Anyways, i'm now at the point where if i don't get a Ps3, i can wait - i've more than enough to keep me occupied (like trying to fathom out which HDTV to buy for a start... i'd be on a Bravia like flies at a shit convention, but the 'no 1080p via x360' quirk is offputting and NO WHERE stocks the high end samsungs... motherf.... costco today, can they save me?)

Have you looked at the Sharp Aquos line? Wonderful TV's.. pretty much the best LCD HDTVs around.

hey, I'm spewing out all the hype one man can. Hell, I'm trying to pimp Full Auto 2 to people :p hmmm I blame MS xbot Fanboy stealth trolls.

I posted this thought in another thread but: I really think Sony knows they've already sold all the launch consoles, a given really, and they are waiting a bit until they can get more into stores before they go ad crazy. I think they will start mass advertising After the launch, as they start to get the next shipments to stores

emerge

Jonnyram said:

Saturday? Usual DSLite restock is on Friday, at least it has been for some time and also the last two weeks where I was over (With the restock usually gone in a couple of hours though). Anyway, I've seen a lot of Wii ads on TV, focusing on the remocon and not a single one for PS3. A lot of shops had started preparing floor space for PS3 as well as Wii. I wish I was still over, if only to see the madness ensue.

Mar

I'm not buying a PS3 for a good while. Perhaps a year. There's no games coming out in the near future for me to get excited about.

And I think Sony isn't trying too hard on the marketing because they know the initial shipments will sell out anyway. They won't market too heavily to the average joe, when average joe won't be able to buy one. Not until they get the manufactured numbers up.

Jonnyram

Amazon still isn't letting people pre-order HDMI cables or the Memory Card adaptor. Good grief.
And I just noticed Innocence BD will retail for 8190 yen :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jonnyram said:
Amazon still isn't letting people pre-order HDMI cables or the Memory Card adaptor. Good grief.
why would you preorder those things, seems like stuff you can expect to just walk in and buy.
the only thing i would worry about is maybe a shortage of controllers, and thats a big maybe.
never heard of anyone preordering a hdmi cable. lol

Jonnyram

Bad_Boy said:
why would you preorder those things, seems like stuff you can expect to just walk in and buy.
the only thing i would worry about is maybe a shortage of controllers, and thats a big maybe.
Amazon is not a physical store.
I would like it if the box my PS3 arrives in also contains the other stuff I want on day one. Hence pre-ordering is necessary.

thetrin

Bad_Boy said:

Around the release of the 360, charge kits were in short supply for about a week or two. Only those who had preordered one were able to get their hands on one. Who knows if that will be the same, if not worse, in Japan?

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:

I think it has some of the extras from the special edition DVD versions that were 8000-9900 yen. Plus it has the international version DVD release and original version DVD release.

Anyhow, we've already gone over JPN anime BD pricing (aka. identical to JPN anime DVD pricing) so hopefully you've gotten that out of your system. Many of us spend ~$800-1000 for 26-52ep TV series on DVD, which we know is a lot more expensive than US/UK TV shows that sell 26-52ep sets for $50-100. We get it, Japanese anime dvds are ripoffs; but if the show is AAAAAAAA quality good and you don't want the shitty inferior international dvd releases, you ain't got much choice. I own my fair share of R2 DVDs and I plan to own a fair share of JPN BDs as well.

Plus Innocence is a terrible movie anyhow. Now 14eps of AIR for 30000yen, that's worth the money but I already spent 30000yen on the R2 DVDs and I don't double-dip on Japan region products >_<

thetrin

Jonnyram said:
God, I'm sorry I even mentioned it, Bebpo.
I didn't realise it was such a delicate subject.

:lol

Jobbox

Someone mentioned about a Yodobashi Camera getting 100 units.
I wonder which Yodobashi Camera that might be...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jonnyram said:
Amazon is not a physical store.
I would like it if the box my PS3 arrives in also contains the other stuff I want on day one. Hence pre-ordering is necessary.
point taken for the memory card adaptor, but hdmi cable?
TheTrin said:
Around the release of the 360, charge kits were in short supply for about a week or two. Only those who had preordered one were able to get their hands on one. Who knows if that will be the same, if not worse, in Japan?
charge kits have to do with controllers right? which I assume there will probably be a shortage of. I have already taken the time to pay off a extra controller here to make sure I get one myself.

thetrin

Jobbox said:
Someone mentioned about a Yodobashi Camera getting 100 units.
I wonder which Yodobashi Camera that might be...

It`s probably Akihabara. I seriously doubt Umeda will get 100 units.

Top Bottom