• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales 12/24 - 12/31

ksamedi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So basically, between a remake and an anime game in 4 days, 3rd parties have sold more games on a system with extremely bad software sales than any 3rd party Wii game not named Dragon Quest.

Why do you think 5 million people choose not to buy third party software?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So basically, between a remake and an anime game in 4 days, 3rd parties have sold more games on a system with extremely bad software sales than any 3rd party Wii game not named Dragon Quest.

Would you rather have SARS or Bird Flu?

ziran

Excellent SMG sales, truly wonderful! :D

...because, let's face it, the Japanese home console market needs a lot more to reinvigorate it. Wii Sports and Wii Fit are a great start, and definitely helping, but Nintendo needs to release more titles in this vein and quality to draw people back in. So, 750K thus far, for a hardcore game like SMG (and you'd have to be mentally fucking ill to not realise it is hardcore through and through ;) is exceptional in the current climate.

Excellent sales for Wii Sports, undisputedly a generational defining title now, and great sales for Wii Fit, though I expect it is supply constrained. Mario Party DS and MP8 Wii are doing really well, and are both great titles when all said and done. Obviously there are those laughable hardcore gamers who claim to be able to define what good should be for the casual audience, :lol, but thankfully they have fuck all influence, which is somewhat obvious...

Over this last year, the Japanese market has seen the expected decline of hardcore content, overall, but special congratulations has to go to Namco for sucking up the Tales franchise, really, well done!! They're doing a great job in destroying it, so big congrats :lol

Realistically, any Japanese developer that isn't making DS their primary platform for their very best teams, especially for Japanese content, and I'm looking at you Square for FF main, is seriously fucking dumb.

iidesuyo said:
PSP software sales aren't all that bad...
:lol

PSP sw sales are only topped in the laughability stakes by the PS3 and 360, hint: this isn't good.

However, PSP hw sales in Japan are unquestionably excellent!

justchris said:
- How is Card Hero doing in comparison to the first game?
Lower than the GBC game, which isn't surprising. It managed ~140K, the DS game should end up 80-100K, which isn't bad, and expected, but still a shame considering it's another brilliant Sakamoto title :(

justchris

ziran said:
Lower than the GBC game, which isn't surprising. It managed ~140K, the DS game should end up 80-100K, which isn't bad, and expected, but still a shame considering it's another brilliant Sakamoto title :(

Is there any chance in hell of it seeing a Western release or should I just go ahead and import it now?

ziran said:
Excellent SMG sales, truly wonderful! :D

...because, let's face it, the Japanese home console market needs a lot more to reinvigorate it. Wii Sports and Wii Fit are a great start, and definitely helping, but Nintendo needs to release more titles in this vein and quality to draw people back in. So, 750K thus far, for a hardcore game like SMG (and you'd have to be mentally fucking ill to not realise it is hardcore through and through ;) is exceptional in the current climate.

Excellent sales for Wii Sports, undisputedly a generational defining title now, and great sales for Wii Fit, though I expect it is supply constrained. Mario Party DS and MP8 Wii are doing really well, and are both great titles when all said and done. Obviously there are those laughable hardcore gamers who claim to be able to define what good should be for the casual audience, :lol, but thankfully they have fuck all influence, which is somewhat obvious...

Over this last year, the Japanese market has seen the expected decline of hardcore content, overall, but special congratulations has to go to Namco for sucking up the Tales franchise, really, well done!! They're doing a great job in destroying it, so big congrats :lol

Realistically, any Japanese developer that isn't making DS their primary platform for their very best teams, especially for Japanese content, and I'm looking at you Square for FF main, is seriously fucking dumb.
This wouldn't work.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Maybe try looking at the same week in the system's lifespan?

PSP games in the 2-week period ending 20060101.

25. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 59486 / 261778

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Im sorry your sentence is invalid and makes no sense

Through 60 stars or so, I owuld not call Mario Galaxy a hardcore game.

And I think that's what Nintendo intended. I have heard it gets ridiculous from here.

ziran

justchris said:
Is there any chance in hell of it seeing a Western release or should I just go ahead and import it now?
Hopefully, it will see a western release, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd give it a few months unless you understand Japanese, because I'm struggling through my copy with very limited knowledge of the language and all the help I can get from Gamefaqs and other sites.

BishopLamont said:
This wouldn't work.
I realise it's not going to happen, there I was just pointing out how stupid it is putting a big mass market franchise on PS3, or really any system other than DS (or possibly Wii) at the moment. DQ9 could very well be the biggest selling in the series, and DS could top 30 million in Japan, easily with a redesign and more AAA Nintendogs, ACWW, Brain Training, type content from Nintendo's internal teams.

EDIT-
TheKingsCrown said:

And I think that's what Nintendo intended. I have heard it gets ridiculous from here.
I think you're too engrossed in what hardcore is.

It may be less hardcore relative to other games, which I'd argue with (but accept the point), however, SMG is hardcore from the get go for casual gamers, the perspective alone puts them off. It's too hard to get to grips with.

ziran said:
I think you're too engrossed on what hardore is. It may be less hardcore relative to other games, which I'd argue with but accept the point, however, SMG is hardcore from the get go for casual gamers, the perspective alone puts them off, it's too hard to get to grips with.

Hmm, maybe on the perspective. I didn't think of that, I just went with it when I first saw it lolz.

Jiggy

Go go Dragon Quest! And DS/PSP hardware, of course. I'll also try holding out hope that Star Ocean continues selling, but as others have already said, it didn't go that much further after the first day... Somewhat disappointing. As for Haruhi, wish we had the shipment figures for context's sake. I don't even know what the game is like in the least, but for the sake of the series itself I kind of want it to succeed. (I know, it already has a billion other outlets it's succeeding in.)

Also, wow at Mario Party DS being just about at exactly half the sales of Wii Sports (just 500 short). Not that I'm rooting for it, but it's still impressive.

Pureauthor said:
BishopLamont said:
So you like the DS and hate the Wii. Seems normal.
Most sane people do. :p
100% agreed. :D

Saitou

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:

Luigi's Purple Coins invalidates your 'opinion'.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I award you no points, mercy on your soul, &c. &c.

someone explain to me how the PSP can sell so much but really have little or no effect on software sales. Wouldn't Sony be a little upset at this?

ziran

TheKingsCrown said:
Hmm, maybe on the perspective. I didn't think of that, I just went with it when I first saw it lolz.
You definitely have a point though. From a hardcore perspective there is a tendancy to think SMG is potentially appealing to the casual audience, but I really don't think it is, they just don't get it. The 3D planets thing is too complicated.

This is why I think it's great the game has succeeded in such a big way on Wii. Soon to outsell SMS's LTD is excellent in the current climate and bodes well for the system's future, certainly for hardcore stuff from EAD, and every developer who bothers to put the effort in. With Wii's huge and ever growing installed base, and PS3's pathetic sales, I think there is going to be an incredibly healthy market for innovative, hardcore content on Wii, over time.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DarthWaiter said:
someone explain to me how the PSP can sell so much but really have little or no effect on software sales. Wouldn't Sony be a little upset at this?

Yargh!

Rolf NB

The Faceless Master said:
17. n/a
28. n/a
Fixed? Hrhr.

No, actually:
The Faceless Master said:
17. God of War 2
28. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Hooray for Ratchet! Hooray for the west that travels to the east!

edit: Oh wait what? That was the joke?! Arrr!

DarthWaiter said:

normal_Pirates.jpg

Jokeropia

bcn-ron said:
No, actually:Hooray for Ratchet! Hooray for the west that travels to the east!
Jokeropia said:
Careful with these, someone might believe you.
Told you. :p

Edit: In case you're interested, Ratchet was last seen in the charts at #20 on the week ending November 18 (second week after release), having sold 19,491.

DiddyBop

when will people realize piracy isnt the reason for the psp's horrible software sales? ppl seem to using it for its ipod like features instead of a gaming system.

DarthWaiter said:

People are not buying the PSP for games. Movies, Music, GPS, etc. are pushing the platform, with games squirreling themselves in there somewhere.

Frillen

DiddyBop said:
when will people realize piracy isnt the reason for the psp's horrible software sales? ppl seem to using it for its ipod like features instead of a gaming system.

How do you know?

Saitou

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
People are not buying the PSP for games. Movies, Music, GPS, etc. are pushing the platform, with games squirreling themselves in there somewhere.
Whoops.

Also, music?

arrrr.jpg

Saitou

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Surely you don't believe the PSP is pushing 150K a week due to piracy alone, do you?
I honestly can't come up with another answer. Claiming movies sell PSPs is even more ridiculous than iidesuyo's "not that bad" comment. And music? Nigga please.

I don't like it, but it seems people are buying a PSP cause they can pop shit into their memcard and carry it around, no strings attached. And hey, you can even download games! Bonus!

donny2112

So I've been a little more thorough and came up with a better representation of the Top 100 for 2007 from Famitsu. Note: We should get the real Top 100 in a couple of weeks.

I took the max(LTD) for all games that charted in 2007 (Top 30, mid-year Top 100, etc.) and subtracted off the LTD for any of those games that appeared in the 2006 Top 500. This will be missing any "stealth" sales by games, but should still be a pretty close approximation. This does include the rounded Famitsu data from the last two weeks.

Makeshift Famitsu 2007 Top 20

1. WII Wii Sports 1911786 / 2465000
2. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 1490000 / NEW
3. WII Wii Play 1487815 / 1991000
4. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 1257000 / NEW
5. NDS Mario Party DS 1232000 / NEW
6. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 1176786 / 4995000
7. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 1079185 / 5382000
8. WII Mario Party 8 1054000 / NEW
9. NDS Dragon Quest IV 1053000 / NEW
10. NDS Brain Training 2 951623 / 4700261
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 910343 / 2695000
12. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 858979 / 4514000
13. WII Wii Fit 818000 / NEW
14. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 810398 / NEW
15. NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 784290 / NEW
16. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 766000 / NEW
17. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 765365 / 1398449
18. WII Super Mario Galaxy 748000 / NEW
19. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 729459 / NEW
20. NDS Observation Training 675446 / NEW

Full makeshift Top 100 with publishers.

NDS - 56
PS2 - 19
WII - 14
PSP - 6
PS3 - 5

#100 is @ 150K.

SexConker said:
Yeah - fixed that.
I'm not betting on next week being bigger.
Holidays are over, and while there will be more new Wii owners than usual, you've got to think that some of them received SMG along with the Wii as gifts.

I'd love to be wrong though.
My numbers are just there to shut up the damned Mario sales trolls that always seem to pop up. They're meant to be conservative.

Just saying Conker, next week is normally flat or slightly higher in sales traditionally for most software and hardware sales. I'm a little vague on the subject, but it's something about kids getting an envelope of money from all of their relatives, and then can go out and buy anything they want with that money. Thats why there is a spill over into the first week of January.

Saitou said:
I honestly can't come up with another answer. Claiming movies sell PSPs is even more ridiculous than iidesuyo's "not that bad" comment. And music? Nigga please.

I don't like it, but it seems people are buying a PSP cause they can pop shit into their memcard and carry it around, no strings attached. And hey, you can even download games! Bonus!
By 'movies', i don't mean UMD's. You realize that, right?

Shanks

What happened to Wii Fit? Has it been supply constrained this past week? It was selling pretty consistent before...

ziran

donny2112 said:
So I've been a little more thorough and came up with a better representation of the Top 100 for 2007 from Famitsu. Note: We should get the real Top 100 in a couple of weeks.

I took the max(LTD) for all games that charted in 2007 (Top 30, mid-year Top 100, etc.) and subtracted off the LTD for any of those games that appeared in the 2006 Top 500. This will be missing any "stealth" sales by games, but should still be a pretty close approximation. This does include the rounded Famitsu data from the last two weeks.

Makeshift Famitsu 2007 Top 20

1. WII Wii Sports 1911786 / 2465000
2. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 1490000 / NEW
3. WII Wii Play 1487815 / 1991000
4. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 1257000 / NEW
5. NDS Mario Party DS 1232000 / NEW
6. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 1176786 / 4995000
7. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 1079185 / 5382000
8. WII Mario Party 8 1054000 / NEW
9. NDS Dragon Quest IV 1053000 / NEW
10. NDS Brain Training 2 951623 / 4700261
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 910343 / 2695000
12. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 858979 / 4514000
13. WII Wii Fit 818000 / NEW
14. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 810398 / NEW
15. NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 784290 / NEW
16. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 766000 / NEW
18. WII Super Mario Galaxy 748000 / NEW
19. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 729459 / NEW
20. NDS Observation Training 675446 / NEW

Full makeshift Top 100 with publishers.

NDS - 56
PS2 - 19
WII - 14
PSP - 6
PS3 - 5

#100 is @ 150K.
Thanks for compiling the chart. I shouldn't be surprised at such Nintendomination, but I am!

Wow!! Look at all the Nintendo titles!!!!! :eek:

And great to see a game as brilliant as Wii Sports at the top! It won! Yay..., now what did it win? The destruction of the Japanese home console market in the eyes of jaded gamers? :lol

Saitou said:
.......Oh.

I must look pretty silly now.

Meh, I can see how you made the mistake. I'm mainly referring to piracy in the games sense, since we're tracking the poor sales and UMD movies have died out ages ago.

donny2112 said:

DQM:J did 600k first week and now it's at 1.4M. That's some nice first week to LTD ratio for an RPG.

Stopsign said:
Just saying Conker, next week is normally flat or slightly higher in sales traditionally for most software and hardware sales. I'm a little vague on the subject, but it's something about kids getting an envelope of money from all of their relatives, and then can go out and buy anything they want with that money. Thats why there is a spill over into the first week of January.
It's called "red pocket".

Shanks said:
What happened to Wii Fit? Has it been supply constrained this past week? It was selling pretty consistent before...
Yeah I don't get it, it sold more last week and since demand is supposedly still high why is there less shipped for this week?

Mashing

Wow, I can't believe Wii Sports is STILL the Wii's best selling (week to week) title. It's going to hit 3 million when all is said and done. For Japan, that's DQ territory.

cvxfreak said:
3. (DS, Square Enix) Final Fantasy IV - 138,000 (447,000)

This is a pretty decent second week. If sales stay high through the first week of January it could wind up actually settling in much closer to FF3's LTD than first week sales made it look. All accounts peg this as one of the most detailed and elaborate remakes ever, and I love the original, so I'm still pulling for it!

6. (DS, Square Enix) Dragon Quest IV - 90,000 (1,053,000)

This gives us two more titles we can bump up from the "Possible" to the "Probable" list of future million sellers, I think. :lol

22. (DS, Namco) Tales Of Innocence - 22,000 (178,000)

This number actually gives us a very slight upgrade from, like, completely terrible sales to very slightly above completely terrible sales. It made it to a second shipment without a price collapse and is still selling in tiny but non-zero quantities this week; it should end above 200k

DeaconKnowledge said:
With the absolute surge of PSP hardware sales, I'm left wondering when Sony will pull the trigger on a sequel. At first I thought they'd jump the gun early, but now i'm not so sure.

With the PS3 situation the way it is, I absolutely think they'll wait. Why take the hit for ramped-up R&D and launch costs now when the PSP could easily settle in as a profitable unit with high hardware sales? Even if software sales stay low, that still seems like a better plan than an expensive new product launch that's unlikely to unseat DS from the top handheld seat.

Blütnerd

Neo Member
So, how is the PSP doing compared to, say, the iPod Touch? This would seem to be the main competitor if you ignore the gaming aspect of the PSP, which a lot of people seem to be doing. I have to admit, I never thought the PSP would be this successful as a media player.

Xeke

Banned
BishopLamont said:
DQM:J did 600k first week and now it's at 1.4M. That's some nice first week to LTD ratio for an RPG.

It's called "red pocket".

Yeah I don't get it, it sold more last week and since demand is supposedly still high why is there less shipped for this week?

If I remember correctly DQM:J had some SERIOUS supply issues going on and would have sold a lot more if the supply were there.

It's strange sales are generally lower in the last week of the year than the week before xmas.... i really expected higher sales, let's see what happen this week, the real official holiday week for japanese people.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ethelred said:
4. Yay for DQIV going platinum a third time! Bodes incredibly well for DQV, VI, and IX.

Yes it does but I'm wondering if DQV will not faulter slightly...especially if its after DQIX comes out. DQVI has never been remade I believe so that one should garner extra sales just like FFIII did

Blütnerd said:
So, how is the PSP doing compared to, say, the iPod Touch? This would seem to be the main competitor if you ignore the gaming aspect of the PSP, which a lot of people seem to be doing. I have to admit, I never thought the PSP would be this successful as a media player.

I think the price difference makes the comparation irrelevant. But if we dont consider price, and we assume people are not playing games on their PSP it seems like the Ipod Touch is a better device now that it has been hacked.

I dont know how well will the nano video be accepted, because that would be real competition for the psp if it had a a bigger screen.

Top Bottom