• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales 12/24 - 12/31

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Also 2 more things:

1. Layton 1 is a machine, if it gets a couple more weeks of 15-20k it'll be over 800k. Anyone think the title might just manage to get to a million, especially since it appear Layton has the PW effect in that new releases bump up other entries and Layton 3 is on the way?

2. What was the last number that Cooking Navi was tracked at? That title also might have accrued substantial sales under the radar

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shanks said:
I don't see why it would considering they haven't sold a million.

I dont know if they were included in his count of 20. I know there is a difference between actual and probable. I have a thing for easily quantifable success like million sellers.

And no, before anyone says anything, LanceStern's "method of profitability" is not a good way to determine success. Thats not why I ask.

HK-47 said:
Also 2 more things:

1. Layton 1 is a machine, if it gets a couple more weeks of 15-20k it'll be over 800k. Anyone think the title might just manage to get to a million, especially since it appear Layton has the PW effect in that new releases bump up other entries and Layton 3 is on the way?

2. What was the last number that Cooking Navi was tracked at? That title also might have accrued substantial sales under the radar

Im sure Layton will have longs legs if they keep advertising it. It is just like any other touch generation game. Also when all 3 are released , they can do packs

botticus

HK-47 said:
Yes it does but I'm wondering if DQV will not faulter slightly...especially if its after DQIX comes out. DQVI has never been remade I believe so that one should garner extra sales just like FFIII did
Is there any indication that SE will be releasing IX before V and VI?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
botticus said:

No but thats why I said if...I dont think either has a solid release date

ethelred

I think I need to rededicate my existence to finding *something* about which Charlie and I disagree. Reading his commentary on the sales, I felt like I was rereading my own post...

HK-47 said:
Is this including Kirby SS and L&B, which are right on the cusp?

Yes, it's including Oshare Majo Love & Berry and Kirby. They've sold a million. We all know they've sold a million. We all know that whenever the final numbers come out, they'll show the two games at a million. I have no desire to play at the Sales Age version of Schroedinger's Cat.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Yes, it's including Oshare Majo Love & Berry and Kirby. They've sold a million. We all know they've sold a million. We all know that whenever the final numbers come out, they'll show the two games at a million. I have no desire to play at the Sales Age version of Schroedinger's Cat.
That makes it 21, I believe. Are you forgetting Mario Party DS?

AniHawk

ethelred said:

Are you counting Wario Ware Touched and SM64DS?

botticus said:

In the former case, it definitely won't: we have a date for V, while IX is undated (and can't possibly come out before late 2008 anyway.)

ksamedi

I bet IX will sell 5 million copies. It would also be stupid for SE not to remake FF 6. Although I would hope that that remake would be made for the consoles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
perfectchaos007 said:
I get this bad feeling that Wii will never catch up to PSP hardware sales.

you are the most reactionary Nintendo fan ever, you know that?

ethelred

donny2112 said:
They're not exactly directly competing systems.

Aren't they, though? Some people have made the same claim about the Wii: that it isn't even directly competing with the PS3. Me, I think the Japanese market has been so completely turned on its head that the line between what is and is not competing has pretty thoroughly blurred.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JoshuaJSlone said:
If PSP doesn't slow back down AND has a life two years longer than Wii, this is possible.

Josh, do you have the latest numbers for Cooking Navi? I tried finding them on your site but the search wouldnt bring up the entry

Xeke said:
You have a long term reaction to every set of numbers...

No, I look at trends. Ever since the PSP slim came out in Japan, it has been selling around where the Wii has been if not more on average and has even been right up there with DS. And this has been going on for a few months. ( since September I believe )
Now I know I overeacted to the state of the Wii when the PS3 actually outsold it in November even with the fact that Mario Galaxy released within that timeframe. But can you really blame me? It seemed that no matter what good software was coming out for the Wii, it wasn't selling systems. And the PS3 was just gaining momentum from that pricedrop/white console. I didn't think it would end, but it did.

Xeke

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
No, I look at trends. Ever since the PSP slim came out in Japan, it has been selling around where the Wii has been if not more on average and has even been right up there with DS. And this has been going on for a few months. ( since September I believe )
Now I know I overeacted to the state of the Wii when the PS3 actually outsold it in November even with the fact that Mario Galaxy released within that timeframe. But can you really blame me? It seemed that no matter what good software was coming out for the Wii, it wasn't selling systems. And the PS3 was just gaining momentum from that pricedrop/white console. I didn't think it would end, but it did.

Yeah, but you lost faith in WiiFit.

cvxfreak

HK-47 said:
Josh, do you have the latest numbers for Cooking Navi? I tried finding them on your site but the search wouldnt bring up the entry

It never really charted in the top 30, IIRC.

Xeke said:
Yeah, but you lost faith in WiiFit.

I thought if Mario Galaxy couldn't do it, then what could? I was trying to deny myself that all Japanese owners just wanted casual games. But it looks like thats almost the case.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cvxfreak said:
It never really charted in the top 30, IIRC.

Well I searched and found that Cooking Navi was at 809k when Famitsu released their list of the best selling games through the half year. So I'm guessing I'll have to wait till the YTDs from Famitsu come out...

justchris

perfectchaos007 said:

But...the PSP came out in 2004. The Wii came out in 2006. The PSP has had pricedrops, remodels and new colors. The Wii has had none of those. The PSP has camera, gps and tv tuner add-ons. The Wii has...a web browser and a gun controller shell. I do not understand where this comparison is coming from, shouldn't we wait until the Wii is in it's 3rd year for it to be comparable to the PSP in it's 3rd year, or is logic not applicable to this situation?

cvxfreak

HK-47 said:
Well I searched and found that Cooking Navi was at 809k when Famitsu released their list of the best selling games through the half year. So I'm guessing I'll have to wait till the YTDs from Famitsu come out...

...sorry, I read that as Cooking Mama earlier. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cvxfreak said:
...sorry, I read that as Cooking Mama earlier. :lol

=P

Thats not even worth thinking about

Though I wonder if a Cooking Mama type game with a Japanese bend would hit it off?

radcliff

HK-47 said:
Has anyone commented on the total absence of Training games?

1. WII Wii Sports 1911786 / 2465000
2. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 1490000 / NEW
3. WII Wii Play 1487815 / 1991000
4. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 1257000 / NEW
5. NDS Mario Party DS 1232000 / NEW
6. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 1176786 / 4995000
7. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 1079185 / 5382000
8. WII Mario Party 8 1054000 / NEW
9. NDS Dragon Quest IV 1053000 / NEW
10. NDS Brain Training 2 951623 / 4700261
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 910343 / 2695000
12. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 858979 / 4514000
13. WII Wii Fit 818000 / NEW
14. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 810398 / NEW
15. NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 784290 / NEW
16. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 766000 / NEW
17. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 765365 / 1398449
18. WII Super Mario Galaxy 748000 / NEW
19. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 729459 / NEW
20. NDS Observation Training 675446 / NEW

I think you need this game

justchris said:
But...the PSP came out in 2004. The Wii came out in 2006. The PSP has had pricedrops, remodels and new colors. The Wii has had none of those. The PSP has camera, gps and tv tuner add-ons. The Wii has...a web browser and a gun controller shell. I do not understand where this comparison is coming from, shouldn't we wait until the Wii is in it's 3rd year for it to be comparable to the PSP in it's 3rd year, or is logic not applicable to this situation?

Um yeah? the PSP did come out 2 years before Wii, and the LTD sales show that. If their lifespans are the same then that would just even out in the end. Infact, since the Wii is the two year newer console you would think it would be selling quite more than the PSP on a week to week basis at this point.

HK-47 said:
It could be under a different name. Let me see... Ahh, I believe this is it, under the title "Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi". I'll change the English title to the common name we use, though. The numbers there may not be the latest, but they're as of mid-2007.

justchris

perfectchaos007 said:
Um yeah? the PSP did come out 2 years before Wii, and the LTD sales show that. If their lifespans are the same then that would just even out in the end. Infact, since the Wii is the two year newer console you would think it would be selling quite more than the PSP on a week to week basis at this point.

I'm pretty sure consoles sales follow a sort of Bell Curve. Wii is just now starting it's second year, not time to start panicking yet. Start panicking in April.

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
I thought if Mario Galaxy couldn't do it, then what could? I was trying to deny myself that all Japanese owners just wanted casual games. But it looks like thats almost the case.
Why are you consistenly trying to make yourself look wrong.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
JoshuaJSlone said:
It could be under a different name. Let me see... Ahh, I believe this is it, under the title "Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi". I'll change the English title to the common name we use, though. The numbers there may not be the latest, but they're as of mid-2007.

Thank you...I probably wasnt even looking in the right place. The site layout confused me a bit

fernoca

HK-47 said:
I'm talking about their diminished (or in this week's case, total absence) presence on the weekly charts
Well, that depends on how you look at it...
radcliff said:
1. WII Sports Training
2. PSP Monster Hunter Training
3. WII Minigame Training (with Free Controller)
4. NDS Pokemon Adventure Training
5. NDS Mario Party Training: Handheld Edition
6. NDS Super Mario Bros. Training
7. NDS Pokemon RPG Training
8. WII Mario Party Training: Console Edition
9. NDS RPG Training
10. NDS Brain Training 2
11. NDS Mario Kart Training
12. NDS Sim City Training
13. WII Wii Fit
14. NDS Yoshi's Two Screen Training
15. NDS Zelda Training
16. NDS Puzzle Training
17. NDS Dragon Quest Pokemon Training
18. WII Super Mario 3D Training
19. PSP Final Fantasy Training
20. NDS Observation Training

perfectchaos007 said:
Wii already surprassed GameCube's LTD in Japan..
Galaxy already surpassed Sunshine's LTD in Japan...

perfectchaos007 said:
Infact, since the Wii is the two year newer console you would think it would be selling quite more than the PSP on a week to week basis at this point.
By this logic, you would think that PSP 2005 would be selling quite more than PSP 2007 on a week to week basis.
HK-47 said:
Thank you...I probably wasnt even looking in the right place. The site layout confused me a bit
I'm up for suggestions on making it friendlier; things are definitely designed from my expectations and knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes first.

justjohn

man after the sucess of the psp slim, sony's aim right now is to get a ps3 slim on the market as quickly as possible. if they can get it to launch this holiday in japan bundled with ffxiii they could do some serious numbers. iknow its not an excuse but i think the size could have something with its sales as well

Dalthien

HK-47 said:
From the DS/PSP chart (Found here)

862,353 Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi (Nintendo) (7/20/06) - through Nov 25/07

It has added a good 50k+ since the half-year chart.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm up for suggestions on making it friendlier; things are definitely designed from my expectations and knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes first.

Is there a single page that has a link to your Direct SQL, lincompare.html, shipment chart generator, and a link to a listing of all games (English Titles)?

Dalthien said:
862,353 Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi (Nintendo) (7/20/06) - through Nov 25/07

Is that from the geocities site?

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
Is that from the geocities site?
Yeah - they updated a number of DS titles as of the end of November. They frequently update a handful of titles every week or two that fall outside of the Top 30 weekly charts. Rock_Man and I try really hard to make sure that we get all of those updates included in our charts. If you go through our charts, you'll find a bunch of titles that have all received updates since they fell out of the regular weekly charts. Some of them have received multiple updates.

donny2112 said:
Is there a single page that has a link to your Direct SQL, lincompare.html, shipment chart generator, and a link to a listing of all games (English Titles)?
The closest would be this page. It doesn't link to the separate HTML files themselves, but wiki page versions. I don't currently have a wiki version of the Direct SQL because a) it seemed like a niche enough thing that the few of you who'd use it would already know about it and b) being a self-referencing page, it wouldn't work directly in the wiki format anyway. I should just add links to those things that can't get integrated properly.

It is possible to get a list of all games by going directly here here. However, with as many listed as there are by now it's over a 700K page, so I avoid directly pointing there when there's the search that can be used to narrow things down as much (or as little) as one wishes.

Top Bottom