• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales: 2012 Jul 02 - Jul 08

Road

Ooh, this will be interesting.

For now here's the PS Vita top 10 (source: Andriasang)

01: Persona 4 The Golden (188,782)
02: Hot Shots Golf 6 (118,985)
03: Uncharted Golden Abyss (89,390)
04: Gravity Daze/Rush (74,785)
05: Dynasty Warriors Next (74,718)
06: Tales of Innocence R (71,463)
07: Lord of Apocalypse (69,162)
08: Ragnarok Odyssey (65,318)
09: Gundam Seed Battle Destiny (55,527)
10: Disgaea 3 Return (54,902)

PSP at around the same time after launch (June, 2005):

[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee - 66,079 / 362,921
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors - 56,425 / 267,512
[PSP] Ridge Racers - 60,163 / 265,997
[PSP] Tales of Eternia - 74,630 / 173,707
[PSP] Metal Gear Acid - 24,149 / 116,702
[PSP] Ape Escape: Academy - 22,999 / 115,857
[PSP] Mahjong Fight Club - 9,393 / 106,888
[PSP] Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan: Daijiten - 12,763 / 105,119
[PSP] The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch - 21,147 / 100,989
[PSP] Doko Demo Issho - 18,476 / 97,377

I'm missing something here. I've gotta be.

We all are, even Sony, missing how they could've probably made more money by leaving all they wasted on the Vita in a savings account.

onilink88

Andriasang said:
According to Sinobi's brief summary of Famitsu's feature, Sony Computer Entertainment reps tell Famitsu that sales are going pretty much according to expectation.

I'm missing something here. I've gotta be.

muu

If I recall correctly they said the same about the Go, though it wasn't too much longer after that which they called it a successful experiment and shoveled the thing altogether.

In the best case scenario they're denying that a problem exists, meaning we won't see remedial action any time soon (it's going as planned after all).

onilink88

We all are, even Sony, missing how they could've probably made more money by leaving all they wasted on the Vita in a savings account.

Damn!

If I recall correctly they said the same about the Go, though it wasn't too much longer after that which they called it a successful experiment and shoveled the thing altogether.

In the best case scenario they're denying that a problem exists, meaning we won't see remedial action any time soon (it's going as planned after all).

I'm wondering what this "big expansion" that they've got planned for TGS might encompass. There's the possibility of the PSV getting MH, and, uh... God Eater 2? I'm coming up short here; what else can we expect to see, and do you think any of it would be able to turn the Vita' situation around in any significant capacity?

I'm wondering what this "big expansion" that they've got planned for TGS might encompass. There's the possibility of the PSV getting MH, and, uh... God Eater 2? I'm coming up short here; what else can we expect to see, and do you think any of it would be able to turn the Vita' situation around in any significant capacity?

Unless publishers basically have a completely Vita centric showing where all they do is show nothing but Vita games I highly doubt it. It takes a sustained level of support to make a healthy system. Having 2-3 more average selling titles announced doesn't do anything.

It's pretty safe to say that MH Vita ain't happening. Going by established IP, GE2 and an exclusive FF (or KH) of some sort would probably be the biggest remotely plausible announcements for the Japanese market.

Jonnyram

1.08 attach rate from top 10. 3DS has 1.22+ by comparison.
3DS didn't have digital versions available, and we already have statistics that show some of these may account for up to a third of sales of particular games (Ragnarok Odyssey/Gravity Daze). That would put the attach rate closer to 1.5.

It's pretty safe to say that MH Vita ain't happening. Going by established IP, GE2 and an exclusive FF (or KH) of some sort would probably be the biggest remotely plausible announcements for the Japanese market.

I would not give up on Capcom for this... they are not exclusive lovers of Nintendo by any means

I would not give up on Capcom for this... they are not exclusive lovers of Nintendo by any means

And it's been explained over and over again by various posters why multiplatform makes no business sense for a handheld franchise centered on local multiplayer (in a nutshell: having incompatible versions of the same game, or multiple subseries running concurrently on different handhelds, divides the fanbase and thus introduces an obstacle to people finding others to play with, which is the whole point). That's without even considering Vita's performance thus far, which doesn't exactly make it look like a lucrative potential market that Capcom has foolishly neglected.

And it's been explained over and over again by various posters why multiplatform makes no business sense for a handheld franchise centered on local multiplayer (in a nutshell: having incompatible versions of the same game, or multiple subseries running concurrently on different handhelds, divides the fanbase and thus introduces an obstacle to people finding others to play with, which is the whole point). That's without even considering Vita's performance thus far, which doesn't exactly make it look like a lucrative potential market that Capcom has foolishly neglected.
Looking at it from Capcom's perspective, they made the right decision for MH. Pushing out a pity release for Sony would only muddy the waters and confuse the buying public.

onilink88

It's pretty safe to say that MH Vita ain't happening.

Yikes. I didn't think Capcom would completely abandon the system, and would support it with an MH title in some fashion. So it's totally out of the question, eh?

Going by established IP, GE2 and an exclusive FF (or KH) of some sort would probably be the biggest remotely plausible announcements for the Japanese market.

Right, FF and KH. Hmm, what about a Tales title? Also, if I remember right, wasn't Sega throwing quite a bit of support at it? I don't suppose there could be any potentially big sellers in there (besides Phantasy Star and Hatsune Miku, that is)?

DGRE

Banned
1.08 attach rate from top 10. 3DS has 1.22+ by comparison.

Where did you get numbers for the top 10 Stump? Also, I'm assuming there are quite a few big titles outside of the top 10 on 3DS. If you took the top 20 for both consoles the gap would widen considerably.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
PSP at around the same time after launch (June, 2005):

[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee - 66,079 / 362,921
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors - 56,425 / 267,512
[PSP] Ridge Racers - 60,163 / 265,997
[PSP] Tales of Eternia - 74,630 / 173,707
[PSP] Metal Gear Acid - 24,149 / 116,702
[PSP] Ape Escape: Academy - 22,999 / 115,857
[PSP] Mahjong Fight Club - 9,393 / 106,888
[PSP] Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan: Daijiten - 12,763 / 105,119
[PSP] The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch - 21,147 / 100,989
[PSP] Doko Demo Issho - 18,476 / 97,377

Famitsu is reporting that Vita's HW numbers are 790k. Do you know which were the PSP HW numbers related to that top ten?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think that or Vita didn't sell neither 1 copy this week, or they did't update their LTD in releasing those stats on the magazines (probably because they'll release only today on the site the new numbers, right?)
Vita: 790.633 was the LTD for Famitsu last week.

For MC Vita already passed that mark: 818.497 (last week LTDs)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think that or Vita didn't sell neither 1 copy this week, or they did't update their LTD in releasing those stats on the magazines (probably because they'll release only today on the site the new numbers, right?)

Yes, right, it's the LTD up to last week. However, it's Moor, let him troll everything freely :p

Ok, numbers are related to 2 weeks ago,i just realized after looking at Persona 4 LTD, but...

are you really sure Vita last week sold 9.367 units ? :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ok, numbers are related to 2 weeks ago,i just realized after looking at Persona 4 LTD, but...

are you really sure Vita last week sold 9.367 units ? :p

:D

well...I've bet around 11.500 so I hope it will :p

Is DQX out in Japan yet? why do I feel I've dreamed about it...

nope, it will be out on August 2, if I remember correctly.
Looking at preorders, news, previews and so on, I really don't know what to expect.
We already discussed about it's possible sales, and I don't want to repeat my self, but Moor-Angol's doubts about DQX VS DQ collection imho were solid...

Kenka

So what's the consensus on where 3DS+3DSLL will be after week 1 of LL+NSMB2?
Very good question, I'd personally go for 230'000 units if shortages don't hinder the launch. We all remember what effect that had on DS Lite and FF Tactics.
As of Mario, I would guess, you could distribute its first week sales probability in a gaussian(550'000, 100'000) function.

That is, between 450k and 650k with a very high probability.

watershed

Banned
Do we have any legitimate way of gauging consumer anticipation for NSMB2? Preorders, rankings, anything? I know NSMB2 will have crazy long legs and be one of the go to software purchases for new 3ds owners but it doesn't seem like an exciting new mario game. Of course I'm not in Japan so I'm not seeing the marketing campaign and stuff.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Do we have any legitimate way of gauging consumer anticipation for NSMB2? Preorders, rankings, anything? I know NSMB2 will have crazy long legs and be one of the go to software purchases for new 3ds owners but it doesn't seem like an exciting new mario game. Of course I'm not in Japan so I'm not seeing the marketing campaign and stuff.

I remember people saying something similar before NSMB Wii got released...yeah we know how it turned out.

Mpl90

While we wait for Famitsu superior numbers, there's a post on Sinobi about 3DS XL, Mario, Oni Tore, etc.etc. Someone who could translate them? It's on the first page.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Where did you get numbers for the top 10 Stump?

I didn't. I just took the publicly reported numbers up until now from Garaph. Hence the "+"--no doubt if they make an actual top ten available there are a a few tens of thousand sales here and there not counted in the numbers I used.

Bruno MB

The last 8 months have been a nightmare for Level 5.

[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Level 5) {2011.11.17} - 68,521 / 98,773
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life (Level 5) {2012.03.08} - 9,091 / 9,091
[3DS] Guild 01 (Level 5) {2012.05.31} - 16,747 / 21,607

[3DS] Time Travelers (Level 5) {2012.07.12} -
[PSV] Time Travelers (Level 5) {2012.07.12} -

That imminent huge bomb called Time Travelers is going to hurt them a lot.

Mpl90

I'll give you

Taiko: 63k
Calciobit: 26k
Time Travellers: 9.887 Vita / 9.761 3DS
Resistance: 5.277

3DS at 46k.

Time Travellers :lol :lol :lol

Bruno MB

English is not my first language so I don't know any word that is forcible enough to describe the level of failure that this game has been.

Top Bottom