• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales: 2012 Jul 09 - Jul 15

faridmon

They should do a match (no, scratch that, a whole arc) between World Classic XI and some historical figures.

Messi V Lincoln
Maradona V Joan of Arc
Pele V Nobunaga

smbu2000

So Guild 01, the game with the TT demo, sold better than the actual release of TT on 3ds?
...and ~75% of combined 3ds/psv sales. Wow...

05./00. [3DS] Guild 01 <ETC> (Level 5) {2012.05.31} (¥3.980) - 14.790 / NEW <53,16%>

Who is "they" here? Like I said, I don't think Level-5 themselves are really interested in localizing anything. They want to sell what licenses they can to major publishers who can help them publish and market it accordingly in the region. If no one is interested in publishing those niche games, then they won't be released.

Hey man, we don't joke about stuff like Lord Matsuno games not getting localized
as you're not joking and are right that it's completely up in the air if it gets localized. :(

smbu2000

well it was probably nintendo's most expensive project of the last decade, excluding maybe skyward sword. there's a ton of voice acting, the packaging is custom, they had to make a plastic thing for it (and something to house the plastic thing). they made those ar cards that they gave away for free at different events, and that's not including the anime projects associated with it, or the fact that it might have been in development longer than initially intended as it was moved from being a wii game to a 3ds game.

on a somewhat related note, i started playing it last night.
I don't think the plastic stand cost them that much. Nintendo included the cost of the stand into KI's base price, which is why KI costs 1,000 yen more than standard 1st party Nintendo 3ds games.

Nintendo released a stand during the DSL days. The stand is also being sold separately as well.

It's actually pretty handy with other games. I just bought Taiko no tatsujin and it's much easier to play with the stand.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
hino_akihiro.jpg

"quick!!! come up with some new brain teasers and mask them with Layton aesthetic. we are fucked!!!"

vareon

All of you that think that Inazuma Eleven Go and Danball Senki W crossover is ridiculous hasn't seen the crap that Level 5 is doing with normal Inazuma Eleven Go Chrono Stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iglM7rQ888

I'm still holding on to the tiny amount of hope that IEG3 will be another (normal) world cup arc. I am SO THANKFUL Capcom is doing the story portion of Layton x Phoenix Wright.

I like this, actually. Though I can't help to feel that Inazuma Eleven is crashing itself hard at this point.

saichi

All of you that think that Inazuma Eleven Go and Danball Senki W crossover is ridiculous hasn't seen the crap that Level 5 is doing with normal Inazuma Eleven Go Chrono Stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iglM7rQ888

I'm still holding on to the tiny amount of hope that IEG3 will be another (normal) world cup arc. I am SO THANKFUL Capcom is doing the story portion of Layton x Phoenix Wright.

actually looks better than Inazuma Eleven Go/Danball Senki W crossover.

I do have a question though since I never played Inazuma Eleven games. So when you do a special move now, you can summon a monster to do it or you can make the monster into your armour to do a different style one?

squall23

I do have a question though since I never played Inazuma Eleven games. So when you do a special move now, you can summon a monster to do it or you can make the monster into your armour to do a different style one?
The monster one is from the first IEG. This game has a choice between the first one and an armour.

PS3 now down YoY after this week in Media Create.

Outside of the 3DS in Japan, 2012 sucks for every console, in every region. Gross.

Outside of the 3DS in Japan, 2012 sucks for every console, in every region. Gross.

It's almost as if all the consoles have sold all they can at the current prices and/or the market is waiting for new hardware.

It's a shame no one's taking advantage of this.

Wait...

Dalthien

Yeah, I noticed that too. 3DS is actually up YoY in the US as well. It has an extra 2 months, but that's kind of offset by not having a launch boost this year. Plus, it's up more than 200k this year, so even though it's not exactly flying off shelves, at least it's something showing growth - something that really doesn't exist in any other platform.

Yeah, I noticed that too. 3DS is actually up YoY in the US as well. It has an extra 2 months, but that's kind of offset by not having a launch boost this year. Plus, it's up more than 200k this year, so even though it's not exactly flying off shelves, at least it's something showing growth - something that really doesn't exist in any other platform.
I guess if we ignore the most important factor...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Its stabilizing, but not nicely. Not even the 3DS is stabilized 'nicely' right now, its dipping hard too. Maybe its the XL, maybe not, but I dont think anyone is doing all that nicely in Japan atm.

You're joking right.

1. It's the XL, they announced it. This happens all the time when new models are announced.

2. Even if it wasn't around 50k a week is a very good number for a system.

Its stabilizing, but not nicely. Not even the 3DS is stabilized 'nicely' right now, its dipping hard too. Maybe its the XL, maybe not, but I dont think anyone is doing all that nicely in Japan atm.
Considering the 3ds was selling at a stable number for a little while until the XL was anounced, I think its safe to say its because of that. Especially when lots of new games including pokemon(for the ds but still) have hit.

Gradivus

I'd say KI is a moderate success from Nintendo's perspective. It didn't become a blockbuster hit but it'll still (at least eventually) become a million seller worldwide.
Fire Emblem however must've beaten Nintendo's all expectations because it became the best-selling entry in the series in like 15 years. They're most definitely more than pleased about that.

It's important to remember that both FE and KI represent overal pretty niche genres that don't sell millions like Mario or Zelda.

Not too forget, FE still hasn't gotten its Western release yet. It should get around 500k by the end of the year (including FE 3DS bundle) in Japan, so there is a possibility that it could reach the 1 million mark worldwide if its lucky.

Dalthien

I guess if we ignore the most important factor...

First off - there's no point paying particular attention to a price drop in looking at whether or not any systems are holding steady or dropping or showing growth on a yearly cycle. It's one tool of many that all the Big 3 have at their disposal from year-to-year. Whether it's a price drop, or a new slim model, or a new Kinect/Move/Motion+ accessory, or a big exclusive system-moving title, etc. So I'm not seeing the point in jumping on any of the Big 3 for taking an action that spurs sales. They all have many options available to attempt to spur sales. (Not to mention the PS3 had a price drop at the same time as 3DS, and it's still down 20% YoY this year). It's actually part of the job of each member of the Big 3 to take the actions necessary each year to keep sales on a healthy trajectory. You seem to want to discount the 3DS because Nintendo actually took some action to spur sales. Of course context is important - dropping from record-breaking sales one year to just very good sales the next year probably isn't cause for massive alarm. And showing a small growth from horrid sales the previous year isn't cause for celebration.

But moving beyond that - there's no point focusing on it because it won't be relevant in the YOY total by the end of the year anyway. The price drop was in the first half of August last year. Aug-Dec sales last year were 3.15M. Total 2011 sales were 4.07M. So almost 80% of 3DS sales in 2011 were after the price cut.

3DS is currently up YoY (price cut & 2 extra months vs. launch boost in sales). But even without a price cut this year after August (and an actual price increase due to XL), when 80% of last year's sales took place at that dropped price, the 3DS still seems to have a very solid chance of matching the 4M sales from 2011. I'm looking at the sales from Aug-Dec last year, and I don't think those numbers are out of reach for 3DS this year.

So unless you believe that 3DS will fall short of 4M in 2012, then I stand by the comment that the 3DS looks to be up YoY in the US for 2012. Certainly at the moment, and quite possibly for the full year. Sticking to the US, the PS3 still has a decent shot of matching 2011, but they need a price cut and a new slim model that catches fire to make up the deficit that they've already built up this year. And I don't see any actions that MS can take that will keep them from a pretty big fall YoY.

But moving beyond that - there's no point focusing on it because it won't be relevant in the YOY total by the end of the year anyway. The price drop was in the first half of August last year. Aug-Dec sales last year were 3.15M. Total 2011 sales were 4.07M. So almost 80% of 3DS sales in 2011 were after the price cut.

3DS has:

NSMB2
Oni Tore
Rune Factory 4 (today)
Devil Survivor Soul Hackers (remake)
Bravely Default
Animal Crossing: Jump Out
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Lost Heroes
Project X Zone
AKB48+Me
Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney
Fantasy Life

and maybe some other titles who have TBA release dates at the moment.

I think surpassing last year shouldn't be a problem.

3DS has:

NSMB2
Oni Tore
Rune Factory 4 (today)
Bravely Default
Lost Heroes
Project X Zone
AKB48+Me
Fantasy Life

That list just shows how much of a beast the 3DS has been and will continue to be.

tolkir

3DS has:

NSMB2
Oni Tore
Rune Factory 4 (today)
Bravely Default
Lost Heroes
Project X Zone
AKB48+Me
Fantasy Life

Add it

Senran Kagura Burst
Medabots 7
Samurai Chronicles 2nd
UnchainBlades Exxiv
E.X. Troopers
Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone

That list just shows how much of a beast the 3DS has been and will continue to be.

and that's just until the end of this year.
Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and maybe 3D Zelda could/will be following next year.

Add it

Senran Kagura Burst
Medabots 7
Samurai Chronicles 2nd
UnchainBlades Exxiv
E.X. Troopers

Good point. I didn't realise E.X. Troopers was confirmed for 2012?

and that's just until the end of this year.
Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and maybe 3D Zelda could/will be following next year.

Pokemon and Monster Hunter weeks are going to be fun as always. Would love a 3D Zelda as well and IIRC Aonuma confirmed it's in development.

Rock_Man

So when retail revenue is down 50% next year due to all the people going digital-only on 3DS, Vita, and Wii U, do we just stop bothering to track retail sales or what?
That would be so sad. At least we'll have the hardware numbers. But I hope online sales data will become more accessible somehow as those sales will get more and more important.

test_account

XP-39C²
The Japanese version already has text options for 7 languages, Japanese, Korean and the usual 5 Western ones. So they could bring it over whenever they decide to do.
Dokuro's already in English. I suspect Gungho already has a western partner (interestingly Sony has published their games in English in Asian regions) or will release it on PSN themselves.
Thanks :) If it doesnt get localized, i might look into importing it. Or maybe i'll do that regardless to get a physical copy. I think it only will be on PSN if it gets localized.

Just to make sure, does the japanese version also have 7 languages? I see over at Play-Asia.com, and only the asian version is being mentioned to have 7 languages.

Also, the actual sales data thread is less than half as long as the Vita sales fail thread...
The Vita sales have been discussed for months here, and since the situation havnt changed much, there isnt really much new to add to that discussion in this thread.

SMT4 could be a Dec release.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ext/

Its official web says that.

Well there you go. 2012 is gonna be even more expensive than I thought.

That'd make the 3DS' second half of 2012 look like this:

NSMB2
Oni Tore
Rune Factory 4 (today)
Rayman Origins (today)
Bravely Default
Lost Heroes
Project X Zone
AKB48+Me
Fantasy Life
E.X. Troopers
Senran Kagura Burst
Medabots 7
Samurai Chronicles 2nd
UnchainBlades Exxiv
Grandpa Danger Conversion
Kokuga
Naruto SD Powerful Shippuden
(Maybe) Shin Megami Tensei 4

The variety of games and genres is astonishing. 3DS is having a really big second year sales-wise, and it's paving for further support. I mean, there's still the Fall conference where they could announce some surprise.

Can we get a similar list for Vita?

In the interest of fairness:

Hatsune Miku Diva f
Soul Sacrifice
Assassin's Creed: Liberty
Zone of the Enders HD Edition
Street Fighter X Tekken
Nobunaga's Ambition
World Defense Force Portable
Powerful Pro Baseball (today)
Orgarhythm
Legend of Heroes Zero no Kiseki Evolution
Special Reporting Edition
DJ Max Technika Portable
Ys Celceta Sea of Trees
Little Battler eXperience W

But I'm not good with keeping up with Vita games so much.

Can we get a similar list for Vita?

For notables:

PowerPro Basebeball 2012
Ogarhythm
Special Reporting Division
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f
Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution
LittleBigPlanet
DJ Max Techinka Tune
Earth Defense Force 3 Portable
Little Battler eXperience W
Ys Celceta, Sea of Trees
Street Fighter X Tekken
Soul Sacrifice

Nekki

Are all of those games confirmed??

If so, it's not that bad, even though (save a few games that came out so far) it accounts for most of the year support-wise D:

DGRE

Banned
Pretty poor list indeed, sales-wise. Miku should be the biggest title there.
I have no clue what expectations are for it, but I would love soul sacrifice to end up a success. One of the few games I'd pick up a Vita for. It's definitely the most interesting original IP on that list.

Top Bottom