• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Weekly Sales: Week 26, 2012 (Jun 25 - Jul 01)

DGRE

Banned
Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2012 (Jun 25 - Jul 01)

07./00. [WII] Fatal Frame 2: Wii Edition <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.06.28} (¥6.800) - 24.804 / NEW
12./08. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800) - 12.314 / 458.034 (+5%)
21./17. [WII] Wii Sports Resort # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2009.06.25} (¥4.800) - 5.052 / 2.909.384 (+23%)
28./19. [WII] Wii Party # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2010.07.08} (¥4.800) - 3.615 / 2.296.760 (+20%)
30./29. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Definitive Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.11.23} (¥5.040) - 3.085 / 238.028 (+53%)

Even with the Wii's utter failure for the past (almost) three years of it's life, it's quite a feat to pull these kinds of percentages and show these kinds of legs for any platform.

So this was Vita's big month that everyone has been pointing to since the start of the year.

Taking it in comparison with NPD's 5-week June, we get:

Vita HW: (May 28 - July 1) (5 weeks) (Media Create)

Total - 91,620
Average weekly sales - 18,324

So with Persona 4, Gundam Seed, MGS:HD, and white Vita all making for a supposedly big month, Vita couldn't even manage 20k per week.

Remember how I was saying that Vita would be in real trouble if it couldn't make it to 2M by the end of it's 2nd holiday season? Well, forget about that. This thing will be in a real struggle just to reach 1.5M now after 2 holiday seasons.

So I am trying to understand this. Normally people will run these numbers about 4 weeks, because normally that is how many weeks are in a month. So I decided to look back to see why you included the 22nd week. Maybe there was a release then?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477270

Doesn't look like it. Why include the extra week? Because if you didn't, the average would be around 22k a week. That indicates the growth that the games bring.

Week 23 - Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Battle Destiny
Week 24 - Persona 4 Golden
Week 25 - None
Week 26 - Metal Gear Solid HD Edition, Crystal White Vita

So I am trying to understand this. Normally people will run these numbers about 4 weeks, because normally that is how many weeks are in a month. So I decided to look back to see why you included the 22nd week. Maybe there was a release then?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477270

Doesn't look like it. Why include the extra week? Because if you didn't, the average would be around 22k a week. That indicates the growth that the games bring.

Week 23 - Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Battle Destiny
Week 24 - Persona 4 Golden
Week 25 - None
Week 26 - Metal Gear Solid HD Edition, Crystal White Vita

He said it right in his post
Taking it in comparison with NPD's 5-week June

Months are 30 or 31 days, you can't do 4 weeks for every month without leaving some out.

donny2112

Personally, I would never buy a retail game on the eShop and have it tied to my console.

I would if I wanted it with me all the time. With NSMB 2 if two copies of the game are needed for co-op, I'll probably buy one digital and one retail. Which one being bought when depends on sales, though. Still don't want to pay $40 for a regular handheld game. With digital downloads being in retail stores and available for sales, though, there's a decent chance of sticking to that. :)

Months are 30 or 31 days, you can't do 4 weeks for every month without leaving some out.

That is a given since MC is always staggered. So the question still arises, especially when the comparison is being drawn to another region. NPD, Charttrack and MC are all different. If you are trying to find a correlation between the game releases and sales, it is counterproductive to include dates that DID NOT include any major releases.

Even with the Wii's utter failure for the past (almost) three years of it's life, it's quite a feat to pull these kinds of percentages and show these kinds of legs for any platform.
Moving software has never been too big an issue for Wii, the problem has always been getting it. It's actually not far behind PSP for ltd software iirc, which is impressive considering it's 2 years younger and got a fraction the 3rd party support.

donny2112

Well looks like the 2nd half of the year within these threads will be full of "vita is doomed" comments is confirmed :(.

Nah, it'll be "Vita was doomed, and now we don't even care." General apathy toward a platform is the next step, once it's clear it's not going to go anywhere.

Hmm, I was afraid Ayesha might suffer a drop compared to Meruru. The big problem, I think, is that it went head to head with Robotics;Notes and came on the heels of Persona 4 Golden. Atelier is, for better or worse, fueled partially on the backs of the otaku, and there are a couple other games appealing to that niche out right now. Meruru came out more or less uncontested and coming off reviews that compared it favorably to Mass Effect 3, so it had a little more going for it.

Still, Ayesha reviewed really strongly as well, so I'm hopeful it'll have some legs for a few weeks as fans scrape together some yen to pick it up.

Oh, and for a bit of hilarity, people complained (not entirely without reason) about Gust pandering? Ayesha actually does dial the pandering back to some degree. One has to wonder how that affected sales.
emot-v.gif

(As a fan from the PS1 days I simply say siiiiiiiiiiiigh)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
.hack Week 1 Sales: (via Media Create)

G.U. Vol.3: Redemption
#01 | 136,790
G.U. Vol.2: Reminisce
#03 | 122,800
G.U. Vol.1: Rebirth
#01 | 90,946
Link
#02 | 60,487
Sekai no Mukou ni + Versus - Hybrid Pack
#09 | 17,446

Guess this marks the end of the series for sure huh? Wish that database went back to 2002/2003 so we knew the oringal series sales debuts. I will weep for the loss of .hack as duckroll rejoices while clamoring for more "furry" games from the developer o.o

Takao

Banned
.hack Week 1 Sales: (via Media Create)

.hack//G.U. Vol.3: Redemption
#01 | 136,790
.hack//G.U. Vol.2: Reminisce
#03 | 122,800
.hack//G.U. Vol.1: Rebirth
#01 | 90,946
.hack//Link
#02 | 60,487
.hack: Sekai no Mukou ni + Versus - Hybrid Pack
#09 | 17,446

Guess this marks the end of the series for sure huh? Wish that database went back to 2002/2003 so we knew the oringal series sales debuts. I will weep for the loss of .hack as duckroll rejoices while clamoring for more "furry" games from the developer o.o

Maybe a more apt comparison would be found if you compared the sales of it to the OVAs.

AniHawk

that pokemon drop is pretty fucking severe. the decision to make it a ds game is shittier and shittier every day.

Dalthien

That is a given since MC is always staggered. So the question still arises, especially when the comparison is being drawn to another region. NPD, Charttrack and MC are all different. If you are trying to find a correlation between the game releases and sales, it is counterproductive to include dates that DID NOT include any major releases.

bigtroyjon already answered for me (thanks!), but I was using a time-frame that will match with the June numbers that we are about to get for NPD shortly. That is the June time-frame that is most widely recognized here on GAF.

Not only that, I was actually trying to be as generous as possible to Vita for the comparison. By going with a 5-week month, you get 92k for the month in sales vs. 84k for the 4 weeks that you chose. If you want to use weekly averages, it goes from 18k/wk to 21k/wk - honestly, equally shitty numbers.

If you want to use the Japanese monthly tracking period, then Famitsu's monthly period for June runs from May 28 - June 24. I wanted to be nice and include the week with the white Vita release, so I used the NPD period which includes that week.

Or I could have been even meaner to Vita and used Famitsu numbers instead of Media Create numbers, which would make things look even worse.

The point being that all kinds of people here have kept pointing to June (since the beginning of the year really) as the big upcoming month for Vita with actual high-profile games and a new colour all releasing. Well, June has now come and gone and turned out to be a big pile of doo-doo (just a more appetizing pile of doo-doo than the previous months) for what was supposed to be an important month for the system.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Maybe a more apt comparison would be found if you compared the sales of it to the OVAs.
I dunno where to find video sales an frankly I don't think I wanna! If say, each Quantum release (1 single episode, little in the way of extras) outsold this (near 2 hour movie, game, OVA) I'd be ultra sad!

that pokemon drop is pretty fucking severe. the decision to make it a ds game is shittier and shittier every day.

3DS would have broken compatibility with the other 5th gen games and, probably, they wouldn't have had time to make it run on the 3DS satisfactorily while working on 6th gen.

Game is still selling better than a 3rd version would have, for only a little bit extra work.

3DS game will be out next year, probably 6th gen now that Genesect is to be revealed soon and have a movie next year.

MH4 and Pokemon is going to be killer.

DGRE

Banned

Yeah selling better in it's second week than any other recent entry besides its direct predecessor is dreadful.

Dalthien

Isn't it about the same as the G/S remakes? That's about in line as to what the 3rd versions/remakes usually pull.

Yeah, it's actually neck & neck with Diamond/Pearl after 2 weeks (although it certainly won't keep pace with D/P overall). And it's really close to HeartGold/SoulSilver at this point, so I'm feeling good about my prediction on that one. :)

Anyway, here's the numbers that Bruno MB posted earlier.

Pokémon main titles (second week sales)

[GBA] Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) {2002.11.21} - 471,538 / 1,716,541 (-62%)
[NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {2006.09.28} - 433,793 / 2,020,153 (-73%)
[NDS] Pokémon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} - 772,172 / 3,409,457 (-71%)
[NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} - 416,850 / 2,035,471 (-74%)

Pokémon remakes and third versions (second week sales)

[GBA] Pokémon FireRed / LeafGreen (Pokemon Co.) {2004.01.29} - 286,626 / 1,241,963 (-70%)
[GBA] Pokémon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) {2004.09.16} - 160,155 / 804,142 (-75%)
[NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) {2008.09.13} - 319,052 / 1,286,727 (-67%)
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) {2009.09.12} - 492,385 / 1,901,365 (-65%)

In Japan? No, The game is doing perfectly fine for what it is and probably how cheaply the game was produced. It may not have caused as massive boost in 3DS sales, but it is making Nintendo a lot of money quickly while they get the next gen ready (probably for next year since B/W 2 was made by the remake team). In the west? Probably, as the 3DS needs something like its own Pokemon game severely with how things are going down there.

[GBA] Pokémon FireRed / LeafGreen (Pokemon Co.) {2004.01.29} - 286,626 / 1,241,963 (-70%)
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) {2009.09.12} - 492,385 / 1,901,365 (-65%)

Yep, this right here shows it was a fantastic decision in Japan to make the games on the DS. They most likely cost less to make than the remakes and probably only a little more than the 3rd versions. In the short term it's really good for Nintendo's financials as well since they only just started making money on the 3DS and are probably in prep to begin Wii U production which will cost them money with no way to make it back for months.

In Japan? No, The game is doing perfectly fine for what it is and probably how cheaply the game was produced. It may not have caused as massive boost in 3DS sales, but it is making Nintendo a lot of money quickly while they get the next gen ready (probably for next year since B/W 2 was made by the remake team). In the west? Probably, as the 3DS needs something like its own Pokemon game severely with how things are going down there.

Indeed, I thought I heard somewhere the '3rd version' team was folded into the main team to help cope with the increased requirements to develop for the 3DS. That, and the recent hirings (recent = last year) of 3D artists is encouraging.

That being said, Gen 6 may not be out until March/April 2014 in the West...that's a long time away.

Takao

Banned
I dunno where to find video sales an frankly I don't think I wanna! If say, each Quantum release (1 single episode, little in the way of extras) outsold this (near 2 hour movie, game, OVA) I'd be ultra sad!

Well, looking over some charts lining up the dates tells me Quantum never even charted.

donny2112

Since Famitsu will update first from now on "Japanese Sales: Jun 25 - Jul 01" looks better.

Needs the year added. MC threads used to just show the month/day, and it got pretty confusing looking at past year's threads, since it wasn't in the title. We had some problems with the year placement before, since EU is different than US, and we got around it with the whole "Week #" thing. Taking that out brings up the issue again.

Hope it doesn't suffer from undershipment - we don't need another Strange Journey Situation.

The first Etrian Odyssey was supply constrained as well, opening at 31k. Eventually, it sold 122k, more than four times the first week: not bad for such a niche RPG. Here, it depends on how Etrian Odyssey IV will be able to sustain its sales and attention after the release; given the fact that the following weeks many other 3DS games will be released (also with a possible user overlapping, such as Rune Factory IV and Time Travelers), I'd say that undershipment may hurt its sales; but if it opens at over 100k (which is not so unlikely), it will already be a nice result, paving for a good LTD.

The only thing that can possibly savage this holiday for Vita is a nice price drop. If that doesn't happen I don't think anything announced will stop it from being murdered this holiday. We'll see what Sony's plan is when their FY report comes out (which is when btw?) if they plan on a price drop. Gamescon is also another place I guess they could announce it. Either way it has to happen.
A price drop won't do shit for Vita in its current state, the baseline will probably move by a few k but thats it, it wouldn't be worth it. They're better off using that money to money hat more games.

Someone always falls for it, Ani.
In this case a whole bunch did.

mclem

One of these days Anihawk's going to be completely sincere... and no-one will believe him. Aesop would have a field day.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why do Famitsu and MC numbers differ so much?

Just different tracking agency (could differ because of different chains or distributors tracked or because of different projection formula and so on...

Does anybody have a comparison between the Etrian Oddissey and the Rune Factory entries?

1 DS 2007-01-18 Etrian Odyssey Atlus 31,702/122,461
2 DS 2008-02-21 Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail Atlus 85,555/145,421
3 DS 2010-07-15 Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail (Atlus Best Collection) Atlus 4,108/4,108
4 DS 2010-04-01 Etrian Odyssey 3: Visitors in Star Ocean Atlus 94,462/139,576

1 DS 2006-08-24 Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon Marvelous Interactive 39,973/145,346
2 DS 2008-01-03 Rune Factory 2 Marvelous Entertainment 56,082/116,287
3 Wii 2008-11-27 Rune Factory Frontier Marvelous Entertainment 18,240/41,170
4 DS 2009-10-22 Rune Factory 3 44,894/85,648
5 Wii 2011-02-24 Rune Factory: Oceans Marvelous 10,040/10,040
6 PS3 2011-02-24 Rune Factory: Oceans Marvelous 26,979/31,961

Courtesy of garaph.info

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
1 DS 2007-01-18 Etrian Odyssey Atlus 31,702/122,461
2 DS 2008-02-21 Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail Atlus 85,555/145,421
3 DS 2010-07-15 Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail (Atlus Best Collection) Atlus 4,108/4,108
4 DS 2010-04-01 Etrian Odyssey 3: Visitors in Star Ocean Atlus 94,462/139,576

1 DS 2006-08-24 Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon Marvelous Interactive 39,973/145,346
2 DS 2008-01-03 Rune Factory 2 Marvelous Entertainment 56,082/116,287
3 Wii 2008-11-27 Rune Factory Frontier Marvelous Entertainment 18,240/41,170
4 DS 2009-10-22 Rune Factory 3 44,894/85,648
5 Wii 2011-02-24 Rune Factory: Oceans Marvelous 10,040/10,040
6 PS3 2011-02-24 Rune Factory: Oceans Marvelous 26,979/31,961

Courtesy of garaph.info

Thank you very much!
So, we can assume that EO4 at least will not be the worst debut in the brand history :p
About RF it seems not so strong as at the beginning, we'll see if the 3DS release will help it in increasing its momentum or not.

I'd really love to see them with an LTD not so far from the 150 mark but it could be hard for RF to get that milestone.

Thank you very much!
So, we can assume that EO4 at least will not be the worst debut in the brand history :p
About RF it seems not so strong as at the beginning, we'll see if the 3DS release will help it in increasing its momentum or not.

I'd really love to see them with an LTD not so far from the 150 mark but it could be hard for RF to get that milestone.

I do think RF4 will confirm how the series better should stay on handheld.

Kenka

I wonder why Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Culdcept and Etrain Odyssey are some of the most-beloved low-profile franchises on sales-age GAF. Is there any explanation ? Kenka Bancho doesn't get the same love...

I wonder why Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Culdcept and Etrain Odyssey are some of the most-beloved low-profile franchises on sales-age GAF. Is there any explanation ? Kenka Bancho doesn't get the same love...

Low-profile? Harvest Moon sold 180-200k, Etrian Odyssy around 140k. I wouldn't call them low-profile, neither niche titles.

There is no need to wait until Rune Factory 4 is released to confirm that Rune Factory series should stay exclusively on handhelds xD

I mean, to stress the fact :D

Gradivus

Most likely because Kenka Bancho isn't on the more popular current gen handheld console at the time :p

Bruno MB

Road, do you have the results of our predictions? :)

I failed miserably with Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 since I predicted it would sell 2,650,000 units :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I'm interested in them because I like them :\
just that! HAHA

I mean, to stress the fact :D

Yes, that's probably true. I think that it will perform better than the latest home titles (both Wii and PS3 versions) but I also hope that it could re-increase the slaes of the brand with a LTD more similar to the first two DS episode

redcrayon

Low-profile? Harvest Moon sold 180-200k, Etrian Odyssy around 140k. I wouldn't call them low-profile, neither niche titles.

But they are low profile, niche titles in the US/EU, where a healthy portion of gaffers are based. I'd imagine that's why they are popular on the boards here, with a fair percentage of posters that like to see their favourite niche (at least in their home country) games doing well, even if it's only overseas.

I'm an EO fan in the EU. Watching the sales figures of EO4 is probably about as close as I'll get to playing it :(

donny2112

I wonder why Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Culdcept and Etrain Odyssey are some of the most-beloved low-profile franchises on sales-age GAF. Is there any explanation ?

Just guessing, but ...

Etrian Odyssey is supposed to be an old-school type very difficult dungeon crawler. Hardcore game.
Rune Factory/Harvest Moon are like those capsule games where you have to collect a bunch of rare hard-to-find stuff to get special items mixed with Animal Crossing "live a life each day" gameplay. People play these games for years, so it follows that those who like it really like it.
No clue on Culdcept.

Kenka Bancho doesn't get the same love...

Isn't it just a fighter/beat-em-up game?

*looks inquisitively at username*

Pokémon main titles (second week sales)

[GBA] Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) {2002.11.21} - 471,538 / 1,716,541 (-62%)
[NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {2006.09.28} - 433,793 / 2,020,153 (-73%)
[NDS] Pokémon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} - 772,172 / 3,409,457 (-71%)
[NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} - 416,850 / 2,035,471 (-74%)

Pokémon remakes and third versions (second week sales)

It's crazy to believe that it is outselling R/S and D/P. Granted it won't last for long but still that's pretty impressive.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2012.07.12}

[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Pocket Soccer League: Calciobit <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Time Travelers <ADV> (Level 5) (¥5.980)

[PSV] Resistance: Burning Skies <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[PSV] Time Travelers <ADV> (Level 5) (¥5.980)

[PSP] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Accelerator 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)
[PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (PSP the Best) <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.800)
[PSP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (Koei Tecmo Standard Series) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥1.890)
[PSP] Taiko Risshiden IV (Koei Standard Series) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥1.890)
[PSP] Warriors Orochi (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥1.890)

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (PlayStation 3 the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥1.890)

redcrayon

Just guessing, but ...

Etrian Odyssey is supposed to be an old-school type very difficult dungeon crawler. Hardcore game.
Rune Factory/Harvest Moon are like those capsule games where you have to collect a bunch of rare hard-to-find stuff to get special items mixed with Animal Crossing "live a life each day" gameplay. People play these games for years, so it follows that those who like it really like it.

True in my case. I put 75 hours+ each into the first three EO games, and am looking forward to the next one more than everything else on 3DS this year combined.

Top Bottom