• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z convinced Meek Mill to not meet with Trump to discuss prison reform

dolabla

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/18/jay-z-convinced-meek-mill-cancel-white-house-visit-trump/

Meek Mill bailed on a visit to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Friday after a late-night call from Jay-Z ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story ... Meek agreed to travel to the White House to discuss prison reform. President Trump is hosting a Prison Reform Summit. Participants include members of Congress, various activists and, clearly, people who have become victims of the system.

We're told Jay called Meek Thursday night and made it clear ... meeting with Trump would be problematic for his image and for the cause.

We're told other high-profile African-Americans also called Meek and voiced serious concern.

Meek tells us, "I was originally scheduled to be part of a panel on Prison Reform at the White House to help shed light on the issues within the system. Unfortunately, the focus turned to the President and Myself which concerned me that it might take away from creating a positive result from today’s discussions."

He continues, "As a result, I decided not to attend so that the focus would be solely on fixing our prison system. Most importantIy I remain fully committed to improving our criminal justice system."

Cool. So Jay Z and these others "voicing their concern" shouldn't utter another word about prison reform.

JDB

Banned
Has Trump shown any sign of understanding any policy or issue in any sort of depth anyway?
I feel a discussion with him has an effect in so far that it changes Trump's mind until the next person tells him something else.

NickFire

This is so terribly wrong and for it to come from someone like Jay Z - I just do not understand how that is possible. How does he not see the message he is helping send young hip hop artists. Last week or two weeks ago a message was sent that you either toe the party line or keep your mouth shut. Now Jay Z is saying just keep your mouth shut altogether because its more important to hate the president than advocate for those you wish to help. I just don't get it.

Super Mario

Banned
Jay Z is a "Democratic elite". Life is good for him. His followers will eat up whatever he says.

meeting with Trump would be problematic for his image and for the cause

That's all you need to know. There is never any attempt whatsoever at making things better. It's all "for the cause".

Then, people come in here and find ways to justify it. Under what circumstance in getting an opportunity to meet with the POTUS, on an issue you apparently feel so strongly about, a bad idea? Even IF Trump was unwilling to listen, which isn't true, what is the disadvantage to being heard?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The Trump Administration has rolled back several Obama-era prison reforms (including some on the use of private prisons).

As such, I'm not sure whether anything can truly be gained from such a discussion.

NickFire

This fucking shit stain of a president doesn’t care about any fucking minorities, educate yourself please.
I strive to learn something new every day. Right now I am trying to learn if you are honestly suggesting that minorities should just keep their mouth's shut for somewhere between 3-8 years all because you think their voices don't matter anyway. Seriously, how does that benefit anyone?

Moneal

I strive to learn something new every day. Right now I am trying to learn if you are honestly suggesting that minorities should just keep their mouth's shut for somewhere between 3-8 years all because you think their voices don't matter anyway. Seriously, how does that benefit anyone?

No, they are saying you can say things only to people you know will agree with you, or you can protest, but FUCK TRUMP. If you don't scream the last part you are purged.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to go to a celebrity asking for their advice on how to fix the prison system. Find someone who is an expert.

Last edited:

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If Meek Mill really wants Trump's attention then he should just go on Fox and Friends and praise him like crazy.

We're told Jay called Meek Thursday night and made it clear ... meeting with Trump would be problematic for his image and for the cause.

Bullshit, at least be honest and say it would be problematic solely for his image.

Grinchy

Banned
Calling rappers by their fake names makes them hard to take seriously. It's like having a serious conversation about Spiderman helping with city planning.

You think Trump is going to help the cause........... This is Gaf, we can always agree to disagree.

I don't think he will specifically, but the refusal to meet him is pretty much all due to keeping acceptance in one group of people rather than netting any benefits for said group.

If we reverse the question, what harm would it cause if Meek Mill met him?

Pallas

Honestly he has nothing to lose and everything to potentially gain by meeting the POTUS. I don’t care how awful a president Trump is, he’s the current president and if you want something done, it’ll help to meet with the man to discuss shit. All this bullshit about keeping up with your image and trying not to tarnish it just shows he’s more selfish.

highrider

Banned
Yeah, Trump totally cares about prison reform. Look how we treat veterans, let alone criminals, most of whom are POC in on some bullshit drug charge. And that’s not exclusive to republicans, democrats generally couldn’t give a fuck either.

highrider

Banned
Honestly he has nothing to lose and everything to potentially gain by meeting the POTUS. I don’t care how awful a president Trump is, he’s the current president and if you want something done, it’ll help to meet with the man to discuss shit. All this bullshit about keeping up with your image and trying not to tarnish it just shows he’s more selfish.

No he has a lot to lose. The respect of the people who buy his records for one..

Calling rappers by their fake names makes them hard to take seriously. It's like having a serious conversation about Spiderman helping with city planning.

Or Doctor Strange. Like, use your real name, dude. Who do you think you are, Prince?

Anyhow, coming from someone who dislikes both major political parties in the US and the divisive us vs them crap that comes with them, I really hate to see "don't talk to them, they're the enemy!" logic employed by either side. I don't like Trump, but I'd be happy to have a conversation and present an argument that maybe he wouldn't get to hear otherwise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Trump barely listens to his own lawyers on his many legal issues so I doubt he's going to listen all that hard to a rapper about prison reform.

Aintitcool

Banned
Trump is a funny president though. If enough people convince him of something he even will go against Republicans. But prison reform was never in his campaign or fox talks so yeah. Jay z just stopped meek mill from giving the president cred with the black community. Trump wanted it in the news he cares about black people in prison without having to do actually anything.

Super Mario

Banned
Prison reform is not the issue. Contrary to what you hear in the media, poor blacks aren't thrown in jail for smoking a joint. Not even close. We don't have a ton of people in there who don't belong. You are a moron if you think if it a one-way street to the problem being us just locking people up for no reason. If anything, the justice system is far too lenient.

What we need is people and culture reform. Unfortunately, that will never happen. We would rather pander to groups, no matter how ineffective it may be. Ask anyone to change, and you are an offensive bigot.

IISANDERII

Jay Z is a "Democratic elite". Life is good for him. His followers will eat up whatever he says.

That's all you need to know. There is never any attempt whatsoever at making things better. It's all "for the cause".

Then, people come in here and find ways to justify it. Under what circumstance in getting an opportunity to meet with the POTUS, on an issue you apparently feel so strongly about, a bad idea? Even IF Trump was unwilling to listen, which isn't true, what is the disadvantage to being heard?
Because Trump could use Meek’s participation to legitimize whatever unilateral prison reform he cooks up.

These kinds of discussions should never be behind closed doors in the first place.

highrider

Banned
Respect? Record sales? I guess money and self image are more important.

Trump is merely grandstanding to try to show he’s down with black folks, it bothers him to be disliked by them. It bothers him that the NBA doesn’t fuck with him, and he’s thrilled when when someone like Kanye talks to him. And yes, money and self image are more important than meeting with a guy that isn’t going to do anything about prison reform. If you think Trump genuinely cares about that, please send what you are smoking.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
President is trying to shore up his base. Probably a win win for him either way.

He has no real policy or agenda to reform prisons. He is just latching himself onto the issue in case something positive actually happens and he can take credit

Pallas

Trump is merely grandstanding to try to show he’s down with black folks, it bothers him to be disliked by them. It bothers him that the NBA doesn’t fuck with him, and he’s thrilled when when someone like Kanye talks to him. And yes, money and self image are more important than meeting with a guy that isn’t going to do anything about prison reform. If you think Trump genuinely cares about that, please send what you are smoking.

You’re letting your personal feelings about the man to get in the way. I’m no Trump supporter, but if the POTUS wants to discuss reform with you about something important, it’s best you do it to try and make change. If it turns out nothing has changed, you can look back and say that you tried.

This fucking shit stain of a president doesn’t care about any fucking minorities, educate yourself please.
Please. Trump cares about minorities more than most people. He's friends with Ben Carson AND Kanye. He also is the only one with the balls to address the REAL problem of black on black violence, which is way more of a problem than our boys in blue doing their job and killing criminals.

Narroo

Please. Trump cares about minorities more than most people. He's friends with Ben Carson AND Kanye. He also is the only one with the balls to address the REAL problem of black on black violence, which is way more of a problem than our boys in blue doing their job and killing criminals.
Their job isn't to kill criminals. It's to apprehend them, ensure public safety, and allow the court system to judge and sentence criminals.

Top Bottom