• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z convinced Meek Mill to not meet with Trump to discuss prison reform

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Meek was invited to share his experiences on his recent experience, obviously the legislation was already made.

But he didn't attend because....

That doesn't conflict with my statement at all. People don't like meeting with Trump since many of the times it turns into a glorified photo OP that becomes about Trump's ego and to bolster his image.

Narroo

I don't trust the court system and you shouldn"t either. If we blindly follow the court system we'd all believe that Trump's muslim ban was unconstitutional, and abortion isn't murder.
Oh, greeeat. Let's just let a bunch of no-nothing idiots deicide who lives and dies. That can't possibly go wrong. You realize that the requirements for being a cop aren't particularly stringent? I've met several cops in my life and they mostly tend to be ***holes. I wouldn't trust them to be judge, jury, and executioner.

NickFire

Because he's shown no desire to work on prison reform. So why give him that photo op? Let Trump hit the American stomp for 6 weeks and push for it publically on FoxNews and at rallies. And then it'll make sense for rappers like Meek Mill to speak to Trump about it.

But why would Meek have to talk to Trump about it first? Like Trump has said that he wants to speak to Colin Kaepernick....but why and for what? He has trashed him publically for years now so why would Colin want to do a photo op and speak with Trump all of a sudden? What's in it for them?
Because of the inherent and explicit threats to his career, I can’t fault Meek for not meeting with him when all is said and done. He’s human after all and I can’t imagine the pressure he was under. But everyone putting said pressure on him should really be ashamed. They let their hatred of one guy keep a different guy from trying to better the world under threat of losing his livelihood, and for no reason than blind hatred.

Say anything you want about what Trump should do, or who he should meet with. But arguing excuses to not work for good does not make good things happen. And as crazy as this is to write, thanks to Kim Kardashian we have proof that talking to a trump can make good things happen. Sure he got a phot op, but another person just got a second chance at life because of it.

Ke0

Trump like all American politicians wants the black vote without having to put in work to earn the black vote.

Say anything you want about what Trump should do, or who he should meet with. But arguing excuses to not work for good does not make good things happen. And as crazy as this is to write, thanks to Kim Kardashian we have proof that talking to a trump can make good things happen. Sure he got a phot op, but another person just got a second chance at life because of it.
so did Kim really went to him because she actually wanted a prison reform or because she was to get someone pardon? One hand, I don't know if they had talked about prison reform as I am not following it much. But I'm not faulting anyone here, just expressing myself as I don't know all the details.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because of the inherent and explicit threats to his career, I can’t fault Meek for not meeting with him when all is said and done. He’s human after all and I can’t imagine the pressure he was under. But everyone putting said pressure on him should really be ashamed. They let their hatred of one guy keep a different guy from trying to better the world under threat of losing his livelihood, and for no reason than blind hatred.

You sure Trump let that person out of jail because Kim went up there and talked to him? You honestly really think that? And Meek has already spoken to a few governors and people in state Congress about jail reform. Have any of those politicians spoken to Trump yet about it? Has he honestly reached out to speak to people about it?

NickFire

You sure Trump let that person out of jail because Kim went up there and talked to him? You honestly really think that? And Meek has already spoken to a few governors and people in state Congress about jail reform. Have any of those politicians spoken to Trump yet about it? Has he honestly reached out to speak to people about it?
Yes I think that because there is a pretty clear paper (twitter) trail. I also have heard that the DOJ refused to even send her request to Obama 3 times (this is not a dig at Obama - it was his DOJ who blocked him from seeing it), and that they recommended against it to Trump as well (I think this is what the report said). Between the specific meeting where she requested it, and the stonewalling she got from DOJ, refusing to give her credit is outside the realm of reason.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion about whether other celebrities should use their voice or not. Some day I believe you will regret advocating to not try working with the Pres. Its putting party over people IMO, and there's clear evidence Trump can be swayed when influential people with access get his ear.

mckmas8808

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion about whether other celebrities should use their voice or not. Some day I believe you will regret advocating to not try working with the Pres. Its putting party over people IMO, and there's clear evidence Trump can be swayed when influential people with access get his ear.

No no no.....you still don't get it with the Meek thing. He "is" using his celebrity and his situation to try to change how things go.

Gov. Tom Wolf Joins Freed Rapper Meek Mill to Call for Criminal Justice Reform in Pennsylvania
Philadelphia rapper Meek Mill and Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf called for criminal justice reform at an event held symbolically in the shadow of Independence Hall Thursday morning.

The unlikely pair joined other advocates and local lawmakers, including Rep. Dwight Evans, D-Pa., in a "call to action" from inside the National Constitution Center.

Mill, whose legal name is Robert Williams, said he was raised in a neighborhood where young black men constantly came in contact with police.

"I'm still not a free man," he said. "I always feel like my freedom could be taken."

The Philadelphia native battled nerves as he thanked supporters and spoke about wanting to raise his 6-year-old son.

He was released on bail last month after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court intervened following a prolonged legal battle dating to November when the 30-year-old was sentenced to two to four years in prison for violating his probation.

After his release, Mill celebrated at the Sixers playoff game, where he sat next to Wolf and other celebrities, including comedian Kevin Hart.

Speaking on Thursday, Wolf said that Mill's case put a spotlight on the changes needed in Pennsylvania's criminal justice system, which must be "better and fairer for everyone."

The debate about how we can fix our criminal justice system is complicated, and over time that debate has changed to reflect the modern realities and issues present in our system,” Wolf said.

“I believe that we can improve the criminal justice system so that we can protect victims while also ending a cycle of incarceration that has left so many people feeling trapped, helpless and without an opportunity to return to society after they have been released.”
https://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainmen...m-Wolf-Criminal-Justice-Reform-481633821.html

Here's a video of the press conference that he did with the Governor of Pennsylvania.

NickFire

No no no.....you still don't get it with the Meek thing. He "is" using his celebrity and his situation to try to change how things go.

Gov. Tom Wolf Joins Freed Rapper Meek Mill to Call for Criminal Justice Reform in Pennsylvania

https://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainmen...m-Wolf-Criminal-Justice-Reform-481633821.html

Here's a video of the press conference that he did with the Governor of Pennsylvania.

No, no, no I do get it. I am not saying he is not using his voice at all or faulting him. I am saying the people who silenced him from meeting with the President are in the wrong. And I am not sure if you are aware, but criminal justice reform in PA only affects PA. He was going to meet Trump to presumably discuss FEDERAL reforms. He is no longer doing that, even though just this week we learned meeting with Trump can have actual positive results flow from it.

PA reform does not help people in federal prison. CA reform does not help with federal prison. Only reform of federal law helps with federal prison. And if you want to make any changes fast, direct access to the top dog is the best route.

mckmas8808

No, no, no I do get it. I am not saying he is not using his voice at all or faulting him. I am saying the people who silenced him from meeting with the President are in the wrong. And I am not sure if you are aware, but criminal justice reform in PA only affects PA. He was going to meet Trump to presumably discuss FEDERAL reforms. He is no longer doing that, even though just this week we learned meeting with Trump can have actual positive results flow from it.

PA reform does not help people in federal prison. CA reform does not help with federal prison. Only reform of federal law helps with federal prison. And if you want to make any changes fast, direct access to the top dog is the best route.

Nobody on Earth silenced him. He spoke to people to get their opinion on it and he made his own choice. But go ahead and let this Kim thing play you. If the Prez was serious about this.....it wouldn't stop just because Meek isn't there.

NickFire

Nobody on Earth silenced him. He spoke to people to get their opinion on it and he made his own choice. But go ahead and let this Kim thing play you. If the Prez was serious about this.....it wouldn't stop just because Meek isn't there.
He was absolutely silenced via fear for his career. At this point there's not much more to discuss though. I'll never be convinced that rejecting an opportunity is the best way to make something happen short of walking away from a possible deal for better terms.

mckmas8808

He was absolutely silenced via fear for his career. At this point there's not much more to discuss though. I'll never be convinced that rejecting an opportunity is the best way to make something happen short of walking away from a possible deal for better terms.

No he was not silenced. Stop making stuff up. He didn't fear his career will be over. Just accept that there are many people that don't want to be used by Trump for a Photo Op. Give those people the dignity that they deserve. The Philly Eagles decided to not go to the White House also. They didn't fear for their jobs.

Many people are wanting to see Trump become presidential. And after that maybe he'll start getting meetings with more people.

Ke0

Lowest black unemployment in history, yeah Trump ain’t earned shit.

Black unemployment had been steadily decreasing before he even took office. That doesn't mean he's "earned" the black vote. I've always found it wild conservatives struggle getting minority votes when most minorities in your country are super conservative. Like I understand it (hilarious amounts of racism in dog whistle form), but it's like you'd think American conservatives would shift away from the whole southern strategy considering how many votes they'd gain versus the amount they'd lose. /shrug

Edit: it's also why I find it strange when people on your right talk about "identity politics" while the conservative party still employs the Southern Strategy. Like kettle meet pot, but then I realize much like here white people in the US see themselves as the default so they don't think it's pandering or identity politics to

Last edited:
I was listening the Joe Rogan podcast the other night, and he had Candace Owens on. At one point she was talking about celebrities campaigning for the Democrats, and she called Jay-Z and Beyonce race traitors. Claiming that they sold out and don't care about improving the black community.

At the time listening to that I thought to myself. "Well it's true that rich people generally don't care about helping the poor, but calling them race traitors is a bit much." But uh, Jay-Z's definitely make hard to argue against her with this stunt.

Prison reform is not the issue. Contrary to what you hear in the media, poor blacks aren't thrown in jail for smoking a joint. Not even close. We don't have a ton of people in there who don't belong. You are a moron if you think if it a one-way street to the problem being us just locking people up for no reason. If anything, the justice system is far too lenient.

What we need is people and culture reform. Unfortunately, that will never happen. We would rather pander to groups, no matter how ineffective it may be. Ask anyone to change, and you are an offensive bigot.
Prison reform is definitely an issue in the US. From what I can see, Private Prisons are very profitable. Prisoners are forced to do essentially slave labour. And the corporate Wardens lobby the government to enact laws with unnecessarily harsh sentences to keep prisons populated and the coffers full.

People even go to jail for things like tax fraud and money laundering. It's so easy for the IRS to freeze accounts and garnish wages. They don't need to put people in jail when they can just take back the money with interest.

Last edited:
I can't fucking wait until Trump pardons Alice Johnson, the meltdowns will be glorious.

Trump will do basically anything someone who he trusts tells him, no matter where it falls politically or who it pisses off, so long as they can convince him. If you want to get Trump to do something with the least amount of effort, get his kids on board. I dunno why Kim fucking Kardashian of all fucking people seems to be one of the few people to figure this out.
Originally when Kanye went on his twitter rampage. I thought he was just trying to get media attention for his upcoming album.

But seeing his wife not only defend him, but all of a sudden start buddying up to Trump makes me wonder if that whole controversy was actually the first stage of her plan to get that woman out of prison.

Kim is not a dumb woman, though she definitely downplays her intelligence.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Trump didn't pardon Alice Johnson, he commuted her sentence. Obama did that like 1500 times as well. Its not rare or surprising for a President.

I was listening the Joe Rogan podcast the other night, and he had Candace Owens on. At one point she was talking about celebrities campaigning for the Democrats, and she called Jay-Z and Beyonce race traitors. Claiming that they sold out and don't care about improving the black community.

At the time listening to that I thought to myself. "Well it's true that rich people generally don't care about helping the poor, but calling them race traitors is a bit much." But uh, Jay-Z's definitely make hard to argue against her with this stunt.

Jay-Z is actually very active in black communities.

This is Candace Owens (see videos):

https://www.mrctv.org/videos/dear-white-people-episode-x-minstrelsy

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/b8i21...h-her--conservative-provocateur-candace-owens

Candace is a character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Mario

Banned
Prison reform is definitely an issue in the US. From what I can see, Private Prisons are very profitable. Prisoners are forced to do essentially slave labour. And the corporate Wardens lobby the government to enact laws with unnecessarily harsh sentences to keep prisons populated and the coffers full.

People even go to jail for things like tax fraud and money laundering. It's so easy for the IRS to freeze accounts and garnish wages. They don't need to put people in jail when they can just take back the money with interest.

Prison reform is largely a fake issue created to energize the low-lifes to vote Democrat. Sure we can clean up a few things, but there is no epidemic of people being locked up for unjust reasons. "Progressives" like Bernie Sanders will lead you to believe black people are being thrown into prison because they were caught with a joint. That's such a bold-faced lie, it's sickening. Even your examples of tax fraud and money laundering, also deceptive. Severe cases lead to prison just like in any other case. We complain now that they should be able to be fined. Then we'll complain later that "rich white men" can escape jail because of money. What do we really want? What we really want is for crimes to go unpunished because we told people there's profit involved.

What we actually need is stricter sentencing in certain areas. You'd be surprised with what people get away with. I have some very good friends that are cops in a big city (which of course is Liberal). They would laugh in your face if you told them everyone was getting locked up unjustly. Apprehensions are way down too. They mostly just show up to tell people to stop, and hope they comply. Liberals love their criminals, because the pandering gets votes. They are the same ones that also don't think MS-13 is doing anything wrong.

Top Bottom