• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JAY Z - "Moonlight" video (Friends spoof)

jrush64

Banned
Great video and Friends is awesome. Kinda wished they actually filmed the whole episode of Friends but with these characters.

Video talks about black TV shows as appossed to black version of white TV shows and you have an actor from Insecure, actors from The Carmichael Show, an actor from Atlanta and also the guy who directed this video directed Atlanta.

Levels.

You getting your asians mixed up

Hiro Murai directed Atlanta and had nothing to do with this video.

Alan Yang directed Master of None and had everything to do with this video (the idea and direction)

Izuna

Banned
I guess I don't get it.

Should I watch Moonlight?

Edit: perhaps I am missing the point because I loved Friends growing up and La La Land was a masterpiece. Had no idea what Moonlight was before the Oscar thing but then no one ever talked about it.

I don't think I have ever seen an ad.

golem

Really liked the video. Actually my first thought after watching it was the new Ghostbusters movie. Sure Hollywood wanted you to give them some kudos by offering up a more diverse cast but in the end it was just another soulless corporate attempt at recycling a once popular franchise with no new diversity of ideas or viewpoints on offer (except for bottom of the barrel vag jokes of course).

DOOM used the friend's beat (whatever was being played in the intro) better

But Hannibal was amazing

It's Whodini - Friends. DOOM flipping it for his song isn't really comparable to Jay-Z using the hip-hop classic as the theme to his all black "Friends"

Kids these days.

lol

I guess I don't get it.

Should I watch Moonlight?

Edit: perhaps I am missing the point because I loved Friends growing up and La La Land was a masterpiece. Had no idea what Moonlight was before the Oscar thing but then no one ever talked about it.

I don't think I have ever seen an ad.

You should watch Moonlight because it's a beautiful film. There's probably not as many films like it as there are musicals. I didn't know La La Land was a film until the Oscars thing.

You don't really need to watch the film to "get it" though. Moonlight won but also felt the experience of losing because La La Land was originally named the winner, with it's cast and crew taking the stage. Both film teams experienced winning and losing.

Not hard when DAMN is booty

tumblr_n26u40rJZ21qedt5eo1_500.gif

Nesotenso

That was fascinating. I wasn't ready.

To this day I don't understand what made it funny. I resigned myself to just calling it, "white people humor". But even then it was different because I enjoyed shit like Cheers, Home Improvement, Full House, Boy Meets World, The Wonder Years, so on and so forth. But Friends? I just couldn't.

Not white and I grew up abroad. I just found it funny. Never saw it as "white people humor".
because of the reruns on TBS and my sister, I have probably seen every single episode.

I'm not even upset I was able to identify the episode they were parodying like 2 lines in.

I was watching the video like "Wtf....is this something they wrote to make fun of friends or is this legit friends script? cause shit is fucking terrible.
then I found the episode online...

yea...I remembered why Friends never interested me whenever I would randomly watch it for a few minutes back in the day. Just couldn't connect with it.

number11

I actually like friends. It's interesting how this line by line 'recreation' just falls flat.

On paper the humour is terrible.. I guess it's all down to the actors and characters. Whether you like Friends or not depends if you like the cast I guess.

jb1234

I actually like friends. It's interesting how this line by line 'recreation' just falls flat.

On paper the humour is terrible.. I guess it's all down to the actors and characters. Whether you like Friends or not depends if you like the cast I guess.

The episode this recreation takes from is one of the funniest and most acclaimed of the series. It's hysterical. It's really fascinating to me how they managed to suck all the life from it.

see5harp

or was a kid who didn't need to be watching Seinfeld

Human garbage is probably the most ridiculous word to use also lol. I mostly don't understand how anyone could have avoided after the air though. Seinfeld has been in syndication for as long as I can remember a show ever being in syndication.

Nesotenso

To me it absolutely does

Friends is not good

I was introduced to it through my sister and her roommate being fans of it, who became addicted to it through reruns.

I guess for people who watched the show and get to know the characters and their tendencies/mannerisms, this stuff makes sense. Seeing other's act it out like in the OP's video doesn't have the same effect.

Mr. X

The ending to me was saying aim to be original instead of copying. They going to praise someone else anyway. Look at the Friend's remake they were doing, even if done well is empty. Burress reaction was honesty, no need to copy old pop culture when we (and all those actors) are pioneering it right now.

The ending to me was saying aim to be original instead of copying. Look at the Friend's remake they were doing, even if done well is empty. Burress reaction was honesty, no need to copy old pop culture when we (and all those actors) are pioneering it right now.

it probably is this simple, yes.

I was introduced to it through my sister and her roommate being fans of it, who became addicted to it through reruns.

I guess for people who watched the show and get to know the characters and their tendencies/mannerisms, this stuff makes sense. Seeing other's act it out like in the OP's video doesn't have the same effect.
Idk, to me they always felt like fake people and they weren't nearly funny or bizarre enough like It's Always Sunny or Arrested Development to make up for it.

Top Bottom