• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay-Z takes to Twitter to damage control Tidal rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.

fader

Although I have my quarrels with the service, I think it's interesting how people are immediately attacking tidal calling it a failure when it's only been a month. Guess that's just our instant gratification era.

The streaming market is big enough for multiple players, and this isn't a game where only the top guy wins. I'm on the record as saying I think Tidal will be in a distant third, behind Spotify and whatever iTunes does with Beats. But even that won't be an L, just look at how the market is growing and will continue to grow.

The goal now should be to prove the service is worth it. The problem is that they're fucking up on that front. Releasing timed exclusive songs and videos isn't working, especially in an era where anything can be ripped onto soundcloud.

They should have gone with a $15 premium service instead of $20.

NeOak

Although I have my quarrels with the service, I think it's interesting how people are immediately attacking tidal calling it a failure when it's only been a month. Guess that's just our instant gratification era.
Nah, it was the billionaire artists circle jerk that was the promotion "for the music"

Faddy

Banned
….Tidal is where artists can give their fans more without the middlemen. #TidalFacts

no middlemen except the looming shadow of LiveNation over the whole service who are the biggest middlemen of them all.

SSReborn

p7wkbcgjmrfmewwuwy5g.gif

lol first thing i thought of when I read that.

Tidal starts at $10 the same price as Spotify Preimum. With more features(videos) and a higher percentage going towards artists.

And a lesser music library than Spotify, which is kind of important for a music streaming service.

Plus Spotify has a $5 option for students, which Tidal does not.

"My cousin just moved to Nigeria to discover new talent. Tidal is a global company."

The fact that he would post that on the internet without realizing why it's so funny is emblematic of Tidal completely fucking up their marketing at every possible chance.

Slayven

The fact that he would post that on the internet without realizing why it's so funny is emblematic of Tidal completely fucking up their marketing at every possible chance.

Who need a smear campaign when Tidal is shooting itself in the foot at every chance,

ryseing

Who need a smear campaign when Tidal is shooting itself in the foot at every chance,

Exactly.

I don't have an issue with the service. I have an issue with how tone deaf every word I've heard about it is. That video linked earlier in the thread encapsulates this.

Courage

What's so bad about the service?

I personally don't see any benefits. $10 vs. $5 with my current Spotify sub, 'exclusive content' that isn't worth it unless it starts happening religiously (I'm only interested in SHMG as an exclusive at this point), the $20/mo option for lossless format which boils down to placebo for most audio systems.

In addition to that, the way it's marketed as a social movement rubs me the wrong way, when there's no other message than 'support your artists that are treated unfairly with other services!' Ultimately, I'm going to favor personal value over any type of sympathy towards these bigger artists. Maybe if I see smaller indie acts benefitting from it, I'll reconsider, so I'll have to see if Jay-Z follows up on his promises.

If this is the same price as Spotify premium why do people care if this becomes successful? I know the initial introduction was terrible. But when you look at everything this service offers in black and white compared to the competition the amount of vitriol seems irrational.

the hubris delivered so far has been very off-putting for many, combined with the fear that this may lead to exclusive album releases or artists only available on certain streaming services.

royalan

Jay is. He sells the most aside from like em

I wouldn't say that Jay is more relevant than Madonna. I think their careers are in similar places, actually.

Jay can still sell albums but, let's be real, nobody really gives a shit about his new material, not even him. It's selling power commanded by his legacy.

Likewise, Madonna can still sell out stadiums globally. But it's not like people give a shit about her new material, even though the tours are themed after them.

Both artists have relevance due to who they are and what they've accomplished. But nobody's checking for what they're doing now.

knicks

There are so many bizarre things about that tweet aside from the fact that Nigeria is mentioned. If you're going to make up something, at least make up something that sounds real and is beneficial.

I know I bash Jay-Z a lot here, but it's rightful.

If Daft Punk does Alive 2017 and then puts tickets up early for TIDAL subscribers, then suddenly TIDAL will have a lot of subscribers.

I really hope they don't do that, and can't imagine they would. But it's a scary thought.

Esch

Banned
I wouldn't say that Jay is more relevant than Madonna. I think their careers are in similar places, actually.

Jay can still sell albums but, let's be real, nobody really gives a shit about his new material, not even him. It's selling power commanded by his legacy.

Likewise, Madonna can still sell out stadiums globally. But it's not like people give a shit about her new material, even though the tours are themed after them.

Both artists have relevance due to who they are and what they've accomplished. But nobody's checking for what they're doing now.

Yeah, this isn't true with hip hop fans. He's still one of the most sought after marquee features and rap internet stops whenever he cares to drop one, or a freestyle.

royalan

Yeah, this isn't true with hip hop fans. He's still one of the most sought after marquee features and rap internet stops whenever he cares to drop one, or a freestyle.

...really? Jay Z? That man can't drop a hot 16 to save his life these days. He still that hot?

Esch

Banned
...really? Jay Z? That man can't drop a hot 16 to save his life these days. He still that hot?

Yes really, and if you were a rap fan you'd know that. he can drop a terrible feature previewed on a french montana cypher and boards will fiend for it all day.

Slayven

I want to see an episode of Pawn Stars where a broke Jay Z tries to sell the piece of paper they all signed:

Rick: So, what do we have here?
Jay Z: A piece of history.
Rick: Let me have a look.. oh...
Chumlee: What is it?
Rick: It's the so called declaration of Tidal. A bunch of stars signed this paper thinking they would change the music industry.
Jay Z: the biggest stars!
Rick: Yeah, no, I don't know about that. Most of them were pretty washed up at that point.
Chumlee: Daft Punk's on there! I like them, they're robots, robots are cool!
Rick: Yeah, but you're still a retarded 12 year old kid [cigarette laughter]
Jay Z: You will never find anything like this, all those signatures in one place.
Rick: Do you wanna pawn it or sell it?
Jay Z: Sell it!
Rick: How much did you have in mind?
Jay Z: 2 million dollars
Rick: 2 million?! I don't even know if it's real! I have this buddy of mine that is an expert on signatures, let me call him.

Rick: So what do you think?
Expert: Let see.. Yeah, it's definitely real. There's even a bit of Madonna's leg sweat left on it. Unfortunately you don't want that, it does drive the value down a bit.
Jay Z: it's still very valuable though?
Expert: Well, the signatures separately might have been worth something, a couple of them at least. But the fact that it's related to Tidal is really a shame.
Rick: So what do you think it's worth?
Expert: In an auction... between... nah... nobody would bid
Jay Z: Really?
Rick: So, you heard the man, how much do you really want?
Jay Z: I can go down to a thousand dollars
Rick: [sigh] If I buy this, it's going to sit here for a looong time, it might not even sell.
If I wanted the signature of a washed up old man, I could just ask my dad [tobacco laughter]
Chumlee: I can give you some pot for it, I have some in my car
Rick: [cancer laughter]
Jay Z: What the hell, ok, deal

Acorn

Don't know much bout pop these days that's why I never spoke on Madonna.

royalan

Yes really, and if you were a rap fan you'd know that. he can drop a terrible feature previewed on a french montana cypher and boards will fiend for it all day.

I'm a rap fan. I'm just not a rap stan in the same way I am with Pop, where you're actively keeping track of artists and their positions within the industry over time. I always thought the general consensus these days was that Jay was respected, but his new shit was terrible and he stopped caring about actually being good years ago.

Hmmm, maybe I need to put on my flame shield and start diving into the hip-hop boards more often...:/

Fiend? Eh...

He has the buzz and clout hence why the world stops when he drops something, but once people listen they tend to shrug and go on with their business; I sense a general feeling that he fell off. At least when it comes to hip hop fans. Obviously he has pop fans excited with turds like Holy Grail.

Acorn

I'm a rap fan. I'm just not a rap stan in the same way I am with Pop, where you're actively keeping track of artists and their positions within the industry over time. I always thought the general consensus these days was that Jay was respected, but his new shit was terrible and he stopped caring about actually being good years ago.

Hmmm, maybe I need to put on my flame shield and start diving into the hip-hop boards more often...:/
Magna carta was horrible. But this board has a hate hard on for him generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom