• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay-Z takes to Twitter to damage control Tidal rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.

MultiCore

The comment I made that you imply is a placebo effect is that audio gear, amps, speakers, will make a difference in the experience you receive listening to music.

If you think listening to a song on, for example, a pair of $100 bookshelves and a $200 amp vs a $1500 pair and a $1000 amp is a placebo effect, then your ears have a serious problem.

For what its worth, my original comparison was between Tidal and Spotify, not the difference between Tidals own offering, and the difference between the two is objectively there. Whether this says more about the quality of Tidal's files, versus the lack of quality on Spotify's files, is a different issue. And btw, Tidal High and HiFI. Miniscule difference, but it is there, in the extreme low and high end. Again. Fuckery on Tidals part or Legit scientific difference? The fuck if I know, I can only trust my own ears.
You should check out this article on Xiph.org about high res audio:
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Also, if you want to see video proof , they have this awesome video as well.

DOWN

Banned
The comment I made that you imply is a placebo effect is that audio gear, amps, speakers, will make a difference in the experience you receive listening to music.

If you think listening to a song on, for example, a pair of $100 bookshelves and a $200 amp vs a $1500 pair and a $1000 amp is a placebo effect, then your ears have a serious problem.

For what its worth, my original comparison was between Tidal and Spotify, not the difference between Tidals own offering, and the difference between the two is objectively there. Whether this says more about the quality of Tidal's files, versus the lack of quality on Spotify's files, is a different issue. And btw, Tidal High and HiFI. Miniscule difference, but it is there, in the extreme low and high end. Again. Fuckery on Tidals part or Legit scientific difference? The fuck if I know, I can only trust my own ears.

No, we are not forgetting equipment makes a difference. We are saying that lossless vs 320 doesn't make a difference when listened to on the same equipment, be it junk or the world's finest equipment.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
And btw, Tidal High and HiFI. Miniscule difference, but it is there, in the extreme low and high end. Again. Fuckery on Tidals part or Legit scientific difference? The fuck if I know, I can only trust my own ears.

Ah, yes magic ears. You are hitting all the tropes.

And hang on a minute, Tidal HiFi was radically better over Tidal High just a post ago. A potent effect isn't it ...

I took a bunch of cds and made my own flac and 320 files to blind test my audiophile friend on his stereo after he wouldn't stop talking about how much better flac sounded. He didn't even try to guess which files were which. He just admitted straight away that they sounded the same.

Also, maybe Jay-Z would have better luck getting that Phil Knight money if Tidal was staffed by children workers.

Dead

well not really...yet
No, we are not forgetting equipment makes a difference. We are saying that lossless vs 320 doesn't make a difference when listened to on the same equipment, be it junk or the world's finest equipment.
The whole point is that I am comparing two different services audio quality.

There is no scientific study that will confirm that Tidal Lossless vs Spotify extreme is indistinguishable by ear. Because they are patently different.

Again, whether this is a virtue of Tidal's lossless compression, or the shitty quality of Spotify's streams, is irrelevant to me. Tidal sounds better than Spotify on my gear, period.

This other dude can claim all he wants that what I am hearing is a placebo, end of the day, he has no idea how I am listening to music.

Korey

You know that this is 100% placebo right? You can't do a blind test so none of your conclusions are based on reality. Researchers do these type of tests all the time with wine and stuff where labels on the cups (even random letters) will affect how they perceive the content.

DOWN

Banned

There is no scientific study that will confirm that Tidal Lossless vs Spotify extreme is indistinguishable by ear. Because they are patently different.

Again, whether this is a virtue of Tidal's lossless compression, or the shitty quality of Spotify's streams, is irrelevant to me. Tidal sounds better than Spotify on my gear, period.

This other dude can claim all he wants that what I am hearing is a placebo, end of the day, he has no idea how I am listening to music.

He is saying you are mischaracterizing Tidal's advantage as being due to the Lossless version, when in reality, you are not hearing a lossless advantage. You should be comparing Tidal 320 to Spotify 320 and don't make it sound like you believe lossless is the advantage.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

How did Tidal HiFi go from being radically better than Tidal's 320 option to of miniscule difference in the space of one post if it wasn't a placebo effect?

And if the word HiFi had that much effect on you, I'm guessing the word Spotify must be horrendous.

Pay for whichever service you prefer, we're just saying that you definitely don't need to pay double for lossless as it has no advantage over 320k AAC and you're not getting anything better from your equipment by using it.

Zyzyxxz

oh god this is now a audiophile debate thread?

Come on can we go back to shitting on Jay-Z and his terrible Tidal service. That is much more entertaining.

How did Tidal HiFi go from being radically better than Tidal's 320 option to of miniscule difference in the space of one post if it wasn't a placebo effect?

And if the word HiFi had that much effect on you, I'm guessing the word Spotify must be horrendous.

Pay for whichever service you prefer, we're just saying that you definitely don't need to pay double for lossless as it has no advantage over 320k AAC and you're not getting anything better from your equipment by using it.

i thought the radically better was Spotify 320 vs Tidal HiFi

It's 2015, and the music industry still doesn't understand that the only way they'll ever stay relevant, make money or combat piracy is by making their product easier to access.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
i thought the radically better was Spotify 320 vs Tidal HiFi

He said Tidal at 320 didn't offer the radically better sound over Spotify that Tidal HiFi did.

But then said the difference between Tidal at 320 and HiFi was a miniscule difference.

So if Tidal at 320 doesn't sound radically better than Spotify and sounds the same as Tidal HiFi, then does the service sound radically better at all? ;)

Basically placebo effect all over the shop, and also a good example of why no one should be paying for the lossless tier.

PSGames

Wrong link?

Sorry I could have sworn I read it there but The Verge has more:
Tidal’s next attempt begins again today: Lil Wayne has signed onto the service and is releasing an exclusive new single called "Glory." Tomorrow, new desktop apps for Mac and Windows will arrive, along with a ticketing feature backed by TicketMaster that gives subscribers early and exclusive access to concert and music festival tickets. And there’s new pricing for college students starting next week: $4.99 for standard and $9.99 for the lossless Hi-Fi service.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/3/8714231/jay-z-tidal-music-streaming-fail-succeed

ReAxion

A simple google search proves his Spotify numbers wrong.

Founded 9 years ago.

Launched 7 years ago.

10m users in two years. You're not close.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Tidal should have launched at a low price point to gain users, then creep up the price like netflix did.

I agree with this. Coming out and talking about how they are taking out the middle man and artists own the service, I thought they would say they are passing the savings on to the customer. But instead they went in the opposite direction. Then trying to guilt trip customers on top of that.

Ty4on

A simple google search proves his Spotify numbers wrong.

Founded 9 years ago.

Launched 7 years ago.

10m users in two years. You're not close.
It was not available in the US for a looooong time. Remember that it is a Swedish company.
From Wikipedia:
The service reached 20 million users (5 million paid) by December 2012,[11][12] 60 million users (15 million paid) by January 2015,
So 10 million in two years.

ReAxion

Remember that it is a Swedish company.

Tidal was launched in 2014 by Swedish/Norwegian public company Aspiro.
Spotify was launched in October 2008 by Swedish startup Spotify AB
What of it?

It didn't take 9 years, it took 7. So he's bullshitting.

He's still way short of 10m in two years. He doesn't have 1m and we're coming up on a year really soon. And the market isn't losing players.

Tidal's issue is that their marketing started off poorly conceived and seemed to be designed to rely on the viral method or otherwise word of mouth rather than properly paying for ads, TV spots, banners, billboards, etc around the world.

If they had followed through with a heavy marketing campaign (maybe $30 mill?) that focused on the features with people's favorite musicians using the service, it would have quickly offset the weak reveal. Whether people would have become paying members is anyone's guess, but there wouldn't be this lack of people who even know about the service...and those that had heard of the service wouldn't still only have the reveal and days that followed as their only point of reference for what Tidal is.

Considering the difference between Tidal's 2 audio quality settings was "minimal" as you described it, it's likely you probably wouldn't have been able to tell which is which in an A/B.

As for Tidal vs Spotify...well if the above is true, then it's most likely less about your audio equipment and more about the compression or source files Spotify is offering. a 320 AAC file from a shit source is going to sound like shit. If Tidal's source files are of higher quality to start with, it's entirely reasonable that you would have gotten a better experience from Tidal's various quality settings compared to Spotify's. In fact, considering you said Tidal's 320 tracks sound better than Spotify's 320 tracks, that's almost certainly what's happened here. Either Spotify's source files suck asshole juice OR their audio compression system sucks hot asshole juice.

If you really want an answer to the question here, you'd need to do an audio spectrogram for all 3 song files and see where the differences lie.

Bose is overpriced but does make some quality products. The QCs are still the best noise-canceling headphones, imo.

All noise canceling headphones sound bad because they are noise canceling headphones. If youre buying something that isn't good, why spend extra money for the 'best' version. It's just another brand aimed at the conspicuous consumption market.

Teaming up with ticketmaster.....because that's a brand that EVERYONE can get behind. LOL.

Well I don't see what's wrong with it as that's huge for majority of artist on tour. It's like having your own personal Songkick in your app which will allow people to support their artist beyond streaming their music.

Plus I work in the ticket resale business and I'll tell anyone to seek their tickets on ticketmaster before it hits those channels because the price will skyrocket. That's a huge deal whether you like it or not.

It's definitely not something they don't appreciate either as TM hates resale and will do shady things to make it hard for people to resell their tickets.

Stet

Banned
Well I don't see what's wrong with it as that's huge for majority of artist on tour. It's like having your own personal Songkick in your app which will allow people to support their artist beyond streaming their music.

Plus I work in the ticket resale business and I'll tell anyone to seek their tickets on ticketmaster before it hits those channels because the price will skyrocket. That's a huge deal whether you like it or not.

It's definitely not something they don't appreciate either as TM hates resale and will do shady things to make it hard for people to resell their tickets.

you have problems with music streaming as a barrier to a music industry that's fair to artists and consumers

annnnnnnnd you work in the ticket resale business

ok bruv

Just got this email, I guess this is their response to Apple Music.

hkkgpju.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom