• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay-Z takes to Twitter to damage control Tidal rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Spotify is 70%.

That's the thing about tweets, you don't have to go into detail.

Excuse my ignorance, I didn't realise Spotify was 70%, and assumed it was much less. If it's only a difference of 5%, it's not a big deal, and Spotify is still more accessible and less costly to the masses.

Prine

Banned
Yeah Jay, you just want to control pricing and distribution so you can hike prices, the middleman is still the record label you twit, nobody cares about rich artists royalties why do you keep saying this bullshit? Why arnt you focusing on the users instead? Artist arnt charitable or needy entities so stop parading a moral angle to your service as if some altruistic deed for the most needy. Shut this garbage down.

The thing about tidal is people don't really care about how much the artists are getting. I don't know why that's being advertised to people like it's going to change minds. Do that shit behind the scenes.

Charge $8 a month.

ronito

How are so many of the posts in this thread concentrating on the number of subscribers and other such nonsense? I have been a staunch critic of Tidal from the beginning, but if they really do pay 75% royalty rates to all artists, writers and producers, the service needs to be commended and promoted, not lambasted and mocked.

Definitely need to know more about the royalty system.

It's the hotel game.

If I have a hotel and I have 10 rooms and I give you 75% of the fees for that. I can charge $1,000 a room and and maybe fill 1 room a week and give you $3,000 a month or if I charge $50 a room I can fill all of them all the time and give you $11,250 a month

Sure it's a nice sentiment. Sentiment makes a TERRIBLE business strategy.

Aselith

Damn you guys are mad about somebody starting a streaming site holy shit

For serious, I don't know what is going on in here but it's not a good look. I mean I guess the TidalFacts tweets are ill-advised but the level of vitriol in the room over this is startling.

Chichikov

Excuse my ignorance, I didn't realise Spotify was 70%, and assumed it was much less. If it's only a difference of 5%, it's not a big deal, and Spotify is still more accessible and less costly to the masses.
It's more complicated than that.
Spotify negotiate deals with labels and aggregators and as a whole pay around 70% of their gross revenue to them.
How much the artist get out of that money depends on the deal they have with their label or aggregator they use.

Tidal uses a similar model, though they say they strike the same deal with major and independent labels, which is generally a good thing.
They also promise at some point to allow artists to directly upload music to their service, which is a very good thing, but it's not supported yet and it's remained to be seen how it will actually be implemented and what are the terms those artists will get.

norm9

For serious, I don't know what is going on in here but it's not a good look. I mean I guess the TidalFacts tweets are ill-advised but the level of vitriol in the room over this is startling.

"N-'s pray and pray for my downfall,
But every time I hit the ground I bounce up like a round ball." - Jay-Z

DOWN

Banned
Their marketing was despicable and their claims behind lossless for streaming are misleading (nobody should pay for lossless streaming) in an attempt to get $20 a month

Aselith

Their marketing was despicable and their claims behind lossless for streaming are misleading (nobody should pay for lossless streaming) in an attempt to get $20 a month

Lossless has much higher streaming bitrates depending on how much is going on in the song. Why would charging extra not make sense for bitrates that can be 5 times a lossy compression?

Armaros

Lossless has much higher streaming bitrates depending on how much is going on in the song. Why would charging extra not make sense for bitrates that can be 5 times a lossy compression?

Because on the majority of devices that use steaming services, the difference between lossless and the bitrate of Spotify premium can't be differeiencated.

Aselith

Because on the majority of devices that use steaming services, the difference between lossless and the bitrate of Spotify premium can't be differeiencated.

If you don't use it, don't pay for it. There is a $10 option on Tidal which I would assume is roughly the same quality as Spotify streaming, why would they not charge a premium for a premium feature that some will use? There are certainly setups that would make use of the higher quality, yeah?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My impression of the idea behind Tidal is to use popular artists to get behind new artists, under Tidal. Basically, they all become producers/marketing agents. You'd get some people under Daft Punk, under Madonna, etc.

Kind of like a pyramid scheme in a way.

AJLma

They need to get the price right, it's really their only major problem. No one would care who was behind it if it didn't look like they were trying to cash in so hard.

If it was $9 a month, I could at least give them some consideration.

They need to get the price right, it's really their only major problem. No one would care who was behind it if it didn't look like they were trying to cash in so hard.

If it was $9 a month, I could at least give them some consideration.

Its 10 dollars a month for regular, 320kbps streaming.

rambis

Banned
Well for one, these are likely 6 or 7 figure payments. On a million dollar payout, the difference between Spotify and Tidal is 50k and obviously grows with the payout. Nothing small about that.

Secondly, its more than that. They calculate royalties completely different.

Pacbois

So apparently they just raised their prices. This is ridiculous.

CDxVVO3W8AAgenc.png

surely the use of an antique roman font gives this fake away

it's still 20/10 on the site.

edit: hm, different font on some posted pics. would be funny if true.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So apparently it's only on iOS

Does other streaming apps have the same price difference on iOS though ?

Yeah, Spotify is the same:

Why does this cost more than doing a subscription on spotify.com?

If you'd like the standard Spotify price please cancel and re-subscribe via our website.

You can manage the iTunes subscription anytime here.

Note: It's not possible to subscribe to Spotify Family with iTunes in-app payments.

Zel3

I can confirm that picture is real. Just a few minutes ago that page kept popping up for me, I had to log out of the app and back in so it would know I'm a subscriber. Definitely going to cancel before I get charged again. I'm paying 9.99 but theres no reason for me to keep this service when spotify offers the same thing.

PSGames

New thread worthy?
http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/08/tidal-will-stream-princes-rally-4-peace-concert-for-free/

You won't need a ticket to Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore to see Prince perform this Sunday. Heck, you won't even need to be on the Eastern seaboard. Tidal, Jay Z's much maligned streaming music service, announced today that it will broadcast the artist's full 60-minute Rally 4 Peace set completely free of charge. What's more the show will be "pre-paywall," meaning that users won't need a Tidal subscription to access it. Additionally, the streaming service will "match funds" of any donation made through its official website with proceeds going to local youth charities and the Baltimore Justice Fund. Prince is reportedly planning this impromptu concert to bring Baltimore communities together after the death of Freddie Grey in police custody.

Free Prince concert for all! Say what you want about Tidal but this is pretty awesome.

I don't know, I'm split.

I love Spotify, but I love Tidals sound quality. If the Hifi sub was ten bucks, I'd totally ditch Spotify. That and I don't think Tidal will be coming to PS4 anytime soon. I love spotify on PS4.

Jay's freestyle at a Tidal concert.

"You bought nine iPhones and Steve Jobs is rich
Phil Knight is worth trillions, you still bought them kicks
Spotify is nine billion, they ain’t say shit."

I'm not sure what his point is with that. I don't think anyone has a problem with the valuation of spotify or even how much Tidal is worth as a company. The problem I have is that they are offering essentially the same product as Spotify and acting like they're saving the world.

Haha, what are the twitter responses like? I'm sure there are great zingers

Dude is worsening the image. The best thing to do would have been to change the brand image, which is incredibly pompous in many people's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom