• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Sessions of Alabama confirmed as US Attorney General

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Look at this unedited stack of horror.

CgafqrO.jpg

wtf? who uses white theme? And no thread details? come on son.

Every few days I just ask, "Can we riot yet?" I'm starting to wonder if there is a tipping point and who's going to actually take to the streets to defend this country from itself? How about we at least invite the British to burn down the White House and Capitol again?

I'll be all for it. Trump has done a lot of awful shit that should've gotten himself impeached right now.

Trump, his administration party, the Republicans & the GOP have been given too much power & have been getting away with too much with no one to keep them in check. And it's only Day 19 since Trump has been sworn into office.

wandering

Banned
Every few days I just ask, "Can we riot yet?" I'm starting to wonder if there is a tipping point and who's going to actually take to the streets to defend this country from itself? How about we at least invite the British to burn down the White House and Capitol again?

It's a romantic notion but with most of the gun owners and the military in this country being right-wing.....

Obama didn't do what you are proposing though, did he? Not in 08 or 12.

Obama campaigned extensively across the rust belt in 08 and 12, and the focus of his campaign was on the economy and on jobs. He even managed to flip Iowa.

People who place more value on the loftiness of your campaign rhetoric, instead of how many seats in Congress you can control, are the reason Democrats are in this mess.

Yes Hillary's campaign was flawed: so was Trump's. Of course 2016 was a winnable election for Hillary. I'm saying it's a travesty Trump was so close at all, and that now he was complete legislative control.

The Left losing the support of the uneducated working class is a bigger deal than Trump vs Hillary. Look at Congress, the state legislatures, outside of the US: this phenomenon is radically changing how politics functions in the western world. Even if Trump's shambolic campaign had been defeated, you could expect an even more sinister character next time.

Well I watched a bunch of Sessions and one thing is clear.

Whether or not he is an actual racist, he is clearly
a) convinced the "people sent a message" at the last election that ..
b) .. laws must be absolutely applied without much consideration for circumstances.

And specifically his bugbear is immigration (and sentences reduced by plea bargain etc etc).
So regarding immigration, the only way to do what he wants to do is: PAPERS PLEASE (not at the border, but anywhere)
and then irregardless of the situation: DEPORT.

It is really hard to see what he is saying in any other way. Racist or not, an old fashioned "because I said so" authoritarian but not particularly interested in money politics, bribery and influence peddling, broken environmental laws, corporate crime, but is itching to get started on illegal immigration (finding them slippery SOBs) and black drug crime.

Or maybe it was just the questions the Dems kept aiming at him.

royalan

Obama campaigned extensively across the rust belt in 08 and 12, and the focus of his campaign was on the economy and on jobs. He even managed to flip Iowa.

People who place more value on the loftiness of your campaign rhetoric, instead of how many seats in Congress you can control, are the reason Democrats are in this mess.

Yes Hillary's campaign was flawed: so was Trump's. Of course 2016 was a winnable election for Hillary. I'm saying it's a travesty Trump was so close at all, and that now he was complete legislative control.

The Left losing the support of the uneducated working class is a bigger deal than Trump vs Hillary. Look at Congress, the state legislatures, outside of the US: this phenomenon is radically changing how politics functions in the western world. Even if Trump's shambolic campaign had been defeated, you could expect an even more sinister character next time.

I think you need to examine the lens through which you view the election if you believe that Trump's campaign was a travesty.

To the left, it WAS a travesty. To the right, Trump was exactly the guy they've been asking for. He campaigned directly on white pride in a way that no Republican candidate has before him in modern times.

OuterLimits

If he supports Trump on the environment, gun control, gay rights and women's health... when do we expect him to fight him? Is it just education or will he fight for refugees and immigrants too?

The reality is that a Democrat in West Virginia can't be very progressive if they hope to win. Yes, he is pretty much a Republican on many issues, but it's not surprising. He is one of the last Blue Dog Democrats.

Oh, and I doubt he will fight Trump much at least until he is re-elected. I wouldn't be surprised if he votes to confirm Gorsuch.(He will, and perhaps a couple others in red states)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If there is a good thing to come out of this, it's that maybe he won't ever get elected again.

But it doesn't matter because someone just as bad is probably going to take his place because voters in this state suck.

So... nothing good. Just like the rest of this entire fucking administration. How far backwards can we go?

I think you need to examine the lens through which you view the election if you believe that Trump's campaign was a travesty.

To the left, it WAS a travesty. To the right, Trump was exactly the guy they've been asking for. He campaigned directly on white pride in a way that no Republican candidate has before him in modern times.

I meant 'travesty' more from an organisational, scandal-avoidance standpoint. The Comey letter hurt Hillary, but Trump's dark confirmation speech and the bus tape hurt him too.

I agree with you, Trump turned the GOP platform into the white person's protection party in a way that most Republican nominees have clearly tried to avoid doing, at least overtly. I just don't think Trump would've been able to do that if we had a Joe Biden as nominee. His approval rating in PA was above 50%, Hillary's was around 23% in places like Scranton.

Iksenpets

Banned
Sessions probably disgusts me more than any other Trump nominee. He's an honest-to-god neo-Confederate being put in charge of the agency founded to crack down on the Klan.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I seriously don't know what the fuck is happening anymore. Trump has reneged on every promise he made while campaigning and has basically assembled the cabinet of the apocalypse. Do NONE of the GOP have a spine? Was it always just about winning no matter the cost?

Sorry for the political post. It goes against my principals. I'm sure there are Republucans on this forum who had good reason to vote for Cheeto Jesus. But DAMN does his administration suck IMO.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Can't help but think Sessions may very well force a state's rights confrontation with blue states. There's way too much shit he would eagerly support: stop and frisk, Papers Please, indiscriminate abuse of laws applied literally, immigration fuckery, and even federal harassment of legal cannabis sale and use.

NY and CA are already mad as hell.

OuterLimits

Can't help but think Sessions may very well force a state's rights confrontation with blue states. There's way too much shit he would eagerly support: stop and frisk, Papers Please, indiscriminate abuse of laws applied literally, immigration fuckery, and even federal harassment of legal cannabis sale and use.

The immigration issue will be interesting. During the Obama years, when states like Arizona attempted to challenge Obama, the Courts pretty much ruled that immigration wasn't a state matter, and the federal govt was who called the shots and has very broad power in that area. The Court did strike down his Executive Amnesty though I believe, but that was related to Congress and not the states I think.

Now, it seems both sides are likely to flip stances, with blue states arguing against the federal government having that power.

The marijuana issue will be interesting as well. It's legal now in many states but still illegal on a federal level I believe?

Can you imagine the damage to the economy if illegals were systematically hunted out and driven away. Therefore I expect they will find a nastier way to do it, like use it as intimidation. Oh, protests ? We will be setting up papers please checkpoints to the area. Key election ? Papers please!

OuterLimits

I always forget that Stephen Miller was a big advisor for Sessions, and joined Trump when Sessions endorsed. He is the one who has written many of the speeches Trump has done.

Many people focus on Bannon, but Miller is a very powerful figure who drives the agenda and was there much earlier. Plus he is a young dude in his 30s. So he will be around for awhile in politics, and probably has big ambitions.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The marijuana issue will be interesting as well. It's legal now in many states but still illegal on a federal level I believe?

It's technically still entirely illegal at federal level, and even medical research is extremely hampered. Under Obama there was a "hands off" policy regarding states where it was legal. I believe, before Obama, there were dust-ups with states that had medical cannabis outlets. The feds sent in the stormtroopers to destroy stores legal in those states and arrest legitimate business owners, as a display of authority and power over states.

With Sessions, you'd think he would want to do that sort of thing but many more states are legalized, a majority of the country wants it, and it's making money.

I meant 'travesty' more from an organisational, scandal-avoidance standpoint. The Comey letter hurt Hillary, but Trump's dark confirmation speech and the bus tape hurt him too.

I agree with you, Trump turned the GOP platform into the white person's protection party in a way that most Republican nominees have clearly tried to avoid doing, at least overtly. I just don't think Trump would've been able to do that if we had a Joe Biden as nominee. His approval rating in PA was above 50%, Hillary's was around 23% in places like Scranton.

Of course. Clinton's going to go down in history as the greatest loser of all time, having failed to beat a candidate like Trump. On the other hand, given that the election was a clear choice between neoliberalism and right-wing populism, we shouldn't be too surprised that she lost.

OuterLimits

It's technically still entirely illegal at federal level, and even medical research is extremely hampered. Under Obama there was a "hands off" policy regarding states where it was legal. I believe, before Obama, there were dust-ups with states that had medical cannabis outlets. The feds sent in the stormtroopers to destroy stores legal in those states and arrest legitimate business owners, as a display of authority and power over states.

With Sessions, you'd think he would want to do that sort of thing but many more states are legalized, a majority of the country wants it, and it's making money.

Excellent points, thanks. I'm surprised it's still illegal in my state of Virginia. Or at least not approved for medical reasons, since Virginia is more a blue state now. Granted, much of the state is still very socially conservative.

RinsFury

A proud racist as AG. I just...can't anymore.

Looking at this cabinet from hell, and who we had holding those same positions just a few weeks ago, is absolutely crushing.

Four years, four fucking years. I want off this ride.

Dude Abides

Banned
In 2012 Romney won WV 62% to Obama's 36%

In 2012 Joe Manchin won re-election 61% to 37%

WV votes are racists who also find Democratic labor/econ policy preferable to Republican labor/econ policy. They prioritize their racism over economics like most Southern whites, but if you have a racist Democrat who supports labor vs. a racist Republican who supports big business, they will vote for the racist Democrat.

Manchin is a racist union guy, which is why he is able to be successful in WV.

and like it or not Democrats need these racist labor types if they want to have any sort of governing power while the Senate is still a thing. There are more tiny states that are mostly white than there are multicultural states with huge minority populations. Having everyone run on Social Justice gives the Dems a hard ceiling of about 40 to 45 senators. If anything the Democrats need more Manchin-types running in places like Iowa, the Dakotas, Kentucky, Missouri, Wisconsin, Ohio, New Hampshire, and Maine.

I don't know. WV passed right to free ride (I.e. Right to work) last year. Labor is dead there. It's basically indistingushable from Louisiana or Alabama or Arkansas at this point, at least nationally.

So those phone calls clearly aren't working and I'm not sure if America can afford to wait till midterms to change course. What options are left? Seems like people are still unwilling to go on strike and shit.

E-Cat

Jeff "I used to like the KKK until I found out they smoked weed" Sessions.

You dun fucked up, Murica.

Iksenpets

Banned
So those phone calls clearly aren't working and I'm not sure if America can afford to wait till midterms to change course. What options are left? Seems like people are still unwilling to go on strike and shit.

Calling kept all the Dems in line, even with the NRA instructing their full membership to call Congress in support of Sessions (with the exception of Manchin, who represents virtually no liberals in WV and needs his 100% NRA rating to get elected). Calls also slowed things down, which is time taken away from them doing other stuff.

The only optione for the next two years are call, write, protest, and organize. That's all important, even if it feels like it's not whenever you lose battles. They have both houses of Congress and the presidency. You're going to lose battles. Like, Republicans are scared to go out right now because their offices are swamped with calls and they get shouted down by their constituents in public. That's valuable, even if it doesn't win us every vote.

Stay safe minorities, cause there will be no justice for you

There hasn't been justice for blacks in awhile. That's why so many folks are out in the streets upset under the previous administration. Now we have an unapologetic racist running the DoJ which already has become a complete joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom