• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump ponders Rudy Giuliani for attorney general

200.gif

Zubz

Banned
Sessions is an abhorrent human being, but if we deal with him for now, he can't mess with Mueller. We have no clue if Giuliani will revise himself for his lesser ties to Russia. If he doesn't, he can mess with the Mueller investigation which, if successful, can flush them all out.

slit

As much of a shitbag Rudy is, he's LIGHTYEARS better than Sessions.

I don't know about that. I can see arguments for why one is worse than the other from both perspectives. That is how bad this is. In any event neither is light years better than the other.

Didn't Trump actually campaign on this idea?

I remember compiling a list of the time of actual constitutional violations he campaigned on, and this made the list.

I believe it came as part of his answer in a debate to the question, how can we improve race relations in this country?

Let's say Trump fires Sessions and somehow gets Giuliani appointed and confirmed...

Wouldn't Giuliani have to recuse himself anyways?

In Sessions testimony before the Senate, he claims that the only reason he recused himself wasn't that he did anything wrong, but that it's against DOJ regulation and he was forced to.

From the LA Times...

The regulation, 28 CFR 45.2, notes that a Justice Department employee shall not participate in a ”criminal investigation or prosecution if he has a personal or political relationship with ... an elected official, a candidate (whether or not successful) for elective, public office, a political party, or a campaign organization."

”I recused myself not because of any asserted wrongdoing on my part during the campaign," Sessions said. ”But because a Department of Justice regulation, 28 CFR 45.2, required it."

”That regulation states, in effect, that department employees should not participate in investigations of a campaign if they have served as a campaign advisor," said Sessions.

Throughout much of the 2016 election, Sessions served as a senior advisor to Trump's campaign.

To argue Giuliani didn't have a personal or political relationship with the Trump campaign is something only Fox News land could try spewing. Did Sessions fuck Trump again by openly admitting the DOJ's policy on recusal?

Sorry if this was mentioned before, I just saw the news and this immediately popped up in my head. Only in the bubble of the stupidity of the Trump White House could he fire his AG because he recused himself and appoint someone who is just going to have to recuse himself from the same investigation.

Christie would seem to be a more logical choice than Giuliani, insofar as Trump World can be logical. But Kushner hates Christie.

How short is Trump's memory? Doesn't he remember how Giuliani basically spelled out to the media how the travel ban was in fact islamophobic in intent? Trump should know not to hire any more senile idiots who will blab at any opportunity

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Uh...did you miss the huge clusterfuck that resulted from him firing the FBI director a couple of months ago?
*slaps forehead* gah what is wrong with me
He fired the Acting Attorney-General Sally Yates, US Attorney Preet Bharara, and of course, James Comey. Funnily enough, these direct firings were all related to investigations into the Trump administration. Coincidence, uh huh. Usually resignations this early are really a firing anyway. Flynn's resignation was hardly a laying down of a burden after a long distinguished service to his office, heh.
Ah I forgot about those two as well.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm sorry, but, when I read something about Trump Pondering, all I could think about was
download-1.jpg

except, Trump would be Pinky and I'm not sure who The Brain would be.

commedieu

Banned
Recusal means nothing, when you fire the fbi director.

We are learning our country has a lot of toothless guidelines that were held together via the honor system.

There's probably a better chance of Trump resigning before Sessions lets go of his position.

Sessions has been waiting for the opportunity to hurt minorities with impunity for his entire life.

Liberal Alabama Darling Tallulah Bankhead weeps from heaven.

Loxley

Sessions will flip if he's fired.

He's not that loyal.

He'll flip even if he isn't fired, Sessions' isn't some hardened criminal. Kamala Harris managed to make him nearly shit his pants during his testimony, imagine what the FBI could do. Dude's gonna sing like a song-bird if it means saving his own skin.

What's gonna happen if he fires Mueller? Realistically?

I honestly have no idea. There's the possibility that Schiff mentioned of creating an independent commission led by Mueller that Trump couldn't touch (though Republicans probably wouldn't agree to this because they want to protect Trump from this shit).

You would absolutely see the IC amp up a war against Trump in terms of stories we'd see. For a guy with a shit ton of skeletons in his closet, they would all come to light. Tax returns would be the least of his worries.

There's been rumors that Mueller is feeding all his info to State jurisdictions to nail Trump on state crimes as well, specifically in New York, which he couldn't pardon.

Oriel

There's probably a better chance of Trump resigning before Sessions lets go of his position.

So Sessions will probably end up being fired. Can't wait for the fireworks.

Recusal means nothing, when you fire the fbi director.

We are learning our country has a lot of toothless guidelines that were held together via the honor system.

Today's America is much like the Gilded Era, what with the rampant corruption and spoils system that is now back in vogue.

Top Bottom