• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Corbyn to 'order MPs to vote for Article 50'

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.sky.com/story/jeremy-corbyn-to-order-mps-to-vote-to-trigger-article-50-10734496

The Labour leader says he will order party MPs to vote to trigger Brexit negotiations after suggestions some may seek to block it.

Jeremy Corbyn said the party "respects the decision of the British people" to leave the European Union and "we will not block Article 50".

He said his MPs would be asked to vote to officially trigger Article 50, which will start Brexit negotiations with the EU and set the clock ticking on the two-year departure deadline.

The Supreme Court is expected to rule on Tuesday on whether the Prime Minister must get the backing of Parliament before she can formally notify the EU Britain is leaving and open discussions.

However, some MPs are said to be prepared to vote to block triggering Article 50, despite the Labour party's official position that it will not do so.

One shadow cabinet minister told The Guardian newspaper: "I'm concerned that if we wave Article 50 through, my constituents will go crazy."

Another said: "When the pain hits, as it will, and when people lose their jobs, you need to be on the right side of that. I don't think we should vote to trigger Article 50."

Labour is such an effective opposition /s

Jackpot

Banned
Bizarrely Labour claimed May's recent speech about leaving the single market entirely proved that they'd forced the government into a soft Brexit.

Also polls show a slump in support for them for like the 4th month in a row

C2hfSj8XcAAHdYG.jpg

PJV3

And anyone not voting for it will be called allsorts by the Tories, Corbyn should have just left it to be a matter of conscience.

Does this guy understand he is the opposition and needs to push forward the will of his voters, and not that of the other parties?

Oregano

Corbyn is notoriously eurosceptic so this doesn't come as a surprise. He's also a terrible leader of the opposition.

Morat

Banned
Does this guy understand he is the opposition and needs to push forward the will of his voters, and not that of the other parties?

I initially supported him because the Labour party was rubber stamping Tory policies, and he offered a different path. So much for that, then.

It kind of makes sense, as I don't know how they'd look if they voted against the result of a consultation.

Labour really looks in shambles right now.

(To be fair, at the time of the consultation he did look really ambivalent about Brexit and that suspicion will follow him)

AHA-Lambda

Wtf is the point in you Labour?
The amount of respect I've lost for this man is incredible

The three big parties are going to be: Tories, UKIP & Lib Dems at the next GE isn't it?

Yep. We could very well see UKIP as the opposition. Horrifying times we live in.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's quite incredible that since the referendum Labour's poll numbers have got worse, it's clear that the public does not view Corbyn as a credible PM. Someone with even a modicum of guile would be pummelling the Tories in the polls, is he really going to hold off on resigning until the party gets wiped out in an election? It could be 30 years before the next Labour government if we aren't careful.

hidys

I mean he could have at least waited until after Brexit negotiations had concluded.

There might have been a good political opportunity to put up some resistance if the deal was shit but alas...

Real Hero

People should not be suprised at this. He would actively be putting his MP's in danger if he even hinted he might try to stop brexit

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Horrendous.

Maybe he is just saying this publicly to safe face for Labour when his party votes no.

Doesnt matter. MPs should vote with their conscience.

Lagamorph

Corbyn is as at least as anti-EU as Farage, he was always going to push for this.
Hell, Corbyn went on live TV 8am the day after the referendum demanding that David Cameron immediately invoked Article 50.

Of course he will, it's been apparent since he was "campaigning" in the referendum that he wants the UK out.
It's been apparent for his entire political career.

Article 50 should be blocked. That is my view, and shame on every MP who votes for it against their conscience just to save their career. Doing so would be a betrayal of this generation and those to come after.

Maledict

People should not be suprised at this. He would actively be putting his MP's in danger if he even hinted he might try to stop brexit

His problem is that the same is true by waving it through. There a a lot of very pro-EU voters in the Labour Party, and he may be sacrificing the cities to retain the north.

I don't think there's a way forward for them on this to be honest. On the single biggest political issue of our lifetimes, that will dominate politics for at least the next decade, the Labour Party is institutionally split and (unlike the tories) I don't see how they fix that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
If Labour want me to vote for them then they need to get rid of Corbyn as he's tanking the party badly.

Article 50 should be blocked as the general public clearly don't understand that we will be worse off once we leave the EU.

I don't see UKIP getting very far, May is stealing all their thunder.

Indeed, May just went full on UKIP.

FunkyMonk

What about MPs that represent areas where the majority voted remain? Do their constituents not deserve to have their opinion respected?

So many of my friends worship this guy, he'll they've accused me of being a red tory for criticising his ineffective opposition. Labour are going to shrink massively if they go into an election with Corbyn leading them.

tuxfool

Banned
What about MPs that represent areas where the majority voted remain? Do their constituents not deserve to have their opinion respected?

So many of my friends worship this guy, he'll they've accused me of being a red tory for criticising his ineffective opposition. Labour are going to shrink massively if they go into an election with Corbyn leading them.

I have to wonder what your friends believe in. What is it about this incompetent dumbass that gets their support?

Labour is such an effective opposition /s
Just because they're the opposition doesn't mean they should just be contrary for the sake of it. If this is Corbyn's belief then it's his belief, I'd rather have that than rampant for-the-sake-of-it American partisanship. We're already close enough already.

I know you may not have meant it quite so seriously but I've seen the sentiment echoed.

jelly

This article is from November 6th by the way.

Jeremy Corbyn is a turd.

Lol.

Corbyn is nothing but a debate team member from college. He is useless beyond that, has had plenty of time to show a coherent set of polices.

He's hedging his bets on the danger that pro leave voters in leave constituencies stop voting labour for failing to vote for brexit is more dangerous than pro remain voters in remain conststituencies do so. He's probably right on that but it won't be enough to bring voters back, Labour are utterly fucked even disregarding his unpopularity.

tuxfool

Banned
Just because they're the opposition doesn't mean they should just be contrary for the sake of it. If this is Corbyn's belief then it's his belief, I'd rather have that than rampant for-the-sake-of-it American partisanship. We're already close enough already.

I know you may not have meant it quite so seriously but I've seen the sentiment echoed.

Even so, the opposition shouldn't be rubber stamping the governments position. They should be applying conditions and buy-in for their votes. Because it is all well and good that he believes in it, but many of the Labour constituents do not.

FunkyMonk

I have to wonder what your friends believe in. What is it about this incompetent dumbass that gets their support?

With most of them it's purely ideological, apparently he's a real leftie and not a new labour tory though they never seem to have an answer when I ask them what the point is of having a real leftie if he tanks the party and ensures tory hegemony. Fricking ideological purity bollocks and most of these are roughly my age - mid 30s.

faridmon

Its times like this when I wish Lib Dem were more active. They fucked us over last time, but at least they have learnt their lesson and would be a better opposition to the Tories than these useless gits.

Can't believe there are still who believes in Corbyn. He have been useless since inception.

Most Labour voters are pro EU. Thanks to our broken as fuck voting system that majority can be totally ignored. He wants to save his seats in the North at any cost.

norinrad

What else can JC do? The decision was made when the people voted out. Voting against article 50 would make no sense at all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The Man Who Killed The Labour Party.

Fuck Corbyn. Fuck the egomaniacal lazy cunt.

Corbyn wants the days of coal mines and steel mills to come back. He thinks he represents those people and there's just no future for that industry.

Nobody wants to it British steel and instead we should be working with a Europe to fund clean energy development.

This guys a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom