• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Some of you guys will have my head for this, but after playing this again for 3 hours, I had much more fun with JSRF. The gameplay is a lot more refined, more going on, "open world" and the sound track IMO is a lot better.

I bought the PS3 version because went earlier and I must say: THIS IS HORRIBLE!
The game keeps freezing a LOT and the framerate is WORSE than the original.

C'mon SEGA, it's a fucking DREAMCAST game! =(

I think I'm gonna buy PC Version.
There's a way to ask for refund at PSN? I'm really mad.

====

Edit: The Steam version is good? Because I'm already VERY frustrated. This is one of my favorite games =/

Same problems here. It chugs a lot.

iavi

Just played a bit of the PC/Steam version; runs, with no issues at all, a solid 30 at 1680x1050/8x MSAA on my ol' MBP with a C2D/8600GTM - A perfect port, as far as I'm concerned.

I wish the documentary was longer. I was absolutely taken in with the bit that was there.

Aspiring

I have it on 360 and the first time I booted it it would be almost like skipping frames so many pauses, and proffesor k would skip so he was literally unlistenable.

I than did what people say and cleared the cache on the 360 and it ran perfect ever since. So smooth and looks amazing. Honestly besides close ups on people's faces and the occasional dull wall this game looks like it wa released now. It's so amazing.

bridegur

I'm loving this just as much as I did when it was first released. It looks incredible and is one of the few games I can think of where QTE-type stuff makes sense. I wish we could get a new entry in the series.

Tain

Finished my playthrough. Great, great game, as always. Wish it had some super-tough bonus missions! I remember it being way longer in 2000, but I was a kid that sucked at games back then.

And when I was a kid, I'm not sure that I realized that Kogane is clearly the best district. Best music, gorgeous sunrise, delicious rooftops, helicopters, snipers... Yeah. I like Benten and Shibuya a ton, so it kills me to say it, but Kogane is best. Bantam street is cooler than I remember, too, and it'd be great to see a whole region designed like that.

Playing this makes me think about how excellent a colorful, vast sequel to Jet Set Radio could have been. JSRF's initial trailer (with the main three skating around a bigger Shibuya that just looked FULL of shit to grind and explore) made me think that's what I had to look forward to, but what we got was one step back and two steps to the side.

Can't understand the dislike this game gets from new players and reviewers. Yea controls are hard but honestly I think they were intended to be the way they were, I can't imagine how you'd make in-line skates a easy to maneuver mechanic.

Just played a bit of the PC/Steam version; runs, with no issues at all, a solid 30 at 1680x1050/8x MSAA on my ol' MBP with a C2D/8600GTM - A perfect port, as far as I'm concerned.

I wish the documentary was longer. I was absolutely taken in with the bit that was there.

You serious? I have mine I relegated to basic web (GAF) duty, think I might install it on there just for the hell of it lol.

remz

Can't understand the dislike this game gets from new players and reviewers. Yea controls are hard but honestly I think they were intended to be the way they were, I can't imagine how you'd make in-line skates a easy to maneuver mechanic.

People are stupid and used to the homogenization of gaming controls this gen. I think everyone kind of blanks out the rollerskates thing because they're expecting a platformer.... or something. LOL
And when I was a kid, I'm not sure that I realized that Kogane is clearly the best district. Best music, gorgeous sunrise, delicious rooftops, helicopters, snipers... Yeah. I like Benten and Shibuya a ton, so it kills me to say it, but Kogane is best. Bantam street is cooler than I remember, too, and it'd be great to see a whole region designed like that.
I agree with this entirely. The rooftop run area is fantastic, and it's nowhere near as frustrating as Benten can be.

ArjanN

I could. They'd just make it more automated where you magnetise to stuff even more, automatically jump in the right direction etc. It wouldn't make it a better game though, just easier.

Aaron

Compared to Tony Hawk, the game is a lot less sticky, while there isn't as much finesse in the air control. The controls are solid, but you need to know them to play well.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So it's basically a coinflip whether your game runs great or not on PC then right?
No, it seems to run awesomely for everyone. If it doesn't the first time you start it up, reboot your computer because apparently you needed to finish installing the drivers it uses. That has fixed it for everyone.

antitrop

Compared to Tony Hawk, the game is a lot less sticky, while there isn't as much finesse in the air control. The controls are solid, but you need to know them to play well.
My best memories of playing Jet Grind Radio when I was a kid was constantly having to mash the Left trigger over and over and over and over and over again for hours at a time to constantly center the camera behind the character.

The addition of camera control on the Right analog stick is a Godsend.

Jacobi

Banned
My best memories of playing Jet Grind Radio when I was a kid was constantly having to mash the Left trigger over and over and over and over and over again for hours at a time to constantly center the camera behind the character.

The addition of camera control on the Right analog stick is a Godsend.

This true. But a quick question: can you turn of the camera centering function of the left trigger? It's pretty bad if you are chasing gang members..

Yanksfan

Hot damn, saw this thread and jumped onto PSN to purchase..it is installing now as we speak. Now I just need to find some time this weekend to sink in a few hours.

antitrop

Hot damn, saw this thread and jumped onto PSN to purchase..it is installing now as we speak. Now I just need to find some time this weekend to sink in a few hours.
I played a couple hours of it a few days ago, originally beat it on the Dreamcast when it came out.

I'm surprised at how fun it still is and how well it holds up, especially with the addition of manual camera rotation. True classic.

Framerate seems about the same for both the PS3 and X360 versions, but the hitching is all over the PS3 one...even during loading and, unfortunately all around the game itself. Control is old school Sega arcade-style of rigid rules, something that was more acceptable back then and on DC, but JSRF was made to address a lot of that and that's why it's significantly more newcomer friendly albeit very sedate. Would've loved to see 60FPS and better-quality audio...a big miss there especially since that is an area that the sequel pushed on the presentation end. Nice but not as good as it probably should be.

I could. They'd just make it more automated where you magnetise to stuff even more, automatically jump in the right direction etc. It wouldn't make it a better game though, just easier.

Bit like JSR Future then. Only thing I didn't like about the gameplay was just how 'sticky' the grinding was. It felt like you were miles off the rail yet you still caught it anyway

Bururian

I beat this game while I was still in high school, but it is harder than I remember it being. Some of the tag the rival gang members still gets me on the auto centering if they leave the tag zone too quickly, messing with my skating path, or even the clip detection at times when I try to grind on stuff. I'm still enjoying the hell out of this game, however.

Vercimber

Double dipped on both PSN and XBLA versions, and the latter is the better port. The colors are more saturated, less frame dips, more cheeves (for people who care; I don't), and the overall experience a bit more smooth. However, all told, the differences are minimal and both are fun experiences.

I'm still mad it wasn't upgraded to 60fps. I really am. I'll go cry in a corner.

iavi

You serious? I have mine I relegated to basic web (GAF) duty, think I might install it on there just for the hell of it lol.

No joke. Game runs flawlessly. Just make sure to grab the latest drivers from Nvidia and give the machine a restart before you play.

Beat the obnoxious final boss and finished the story, loved the game. Now to do all the jet challenges :)

I really want to try JSRF now. Is the slow down when playing it with a 360 really as bad as I've read?

Christian

I'm sure this has been talked about in here before, but I'm not fishing through 28 pages. What's the explanation for the discrepancy between the 360 achievements and the PS3 trophies? Total garbage for PS3 owners.

thundr51

Picked up the steam version and after installing I was having some problems, no matter what resolution It was slow. One reboot later and everything is fine. Just waiting for the hackers/modders to do their thing so I can make custom tags using my own images.

Empty

Beat the obnoxious final boss and finished the story, loved the game. Now to do all the jet challenges :)

I really want to try JSRF now. Is the slow down when playing it with a 360 really as bad as I've read?

not really. it's only in a few places across a big game and most of them don't have a impact on any objective. i found it more of an occasional nuisance than an actual gamebreaker.

S1kkZ

quick question: back on dreamcast, i was never able to beat the american levels. i just finished grind square and it was no problem at all. do i have to play the 2 american levels again? i remember them to be much, much harder on dc.

Who did?! I'll talk to their mom and we'll have it back!

sorry to heard that, man.. on what platform?

I'm on PS3. To be fair, I was only at the end of Chapter 1, and now I'm on Chapter 3. :lol

I love the rival challenges. Oh, yeah, you've just been fucking hunted down by suicide bombers, assault helicopters and other nutjobs... "HEY YOU, bet you can't jump over these bus stops!!!". lol.

TheOGB

Banned
I just did the showdown against Tupac Garam and still managed to pull off the wall ride in the last challenge despite smacking into the wall.

Kard8p3

I am very tempted to get this, I played the demo and I love it, but every now and then I screw up the quarterhalf circles, Im sure that will improve the more I play, but it sucks :(. Help push me over the edge GAF, convince me to buy this right now.

FLEABttn

Banned
I am very tempted to get this, I played the demo and I love it, but every now and then I screw up the quarterhalf circles, Im sure that will improve the more I play, but it sucks :(. Help push me over the edge GAF, convince me to buy this right now.

Third best Dreamcast game of all time?

--//--

I've really been enjoying this port on the PS3, have not have any of the stuttering or pop in issues mentioned (SSD ftw on that I think). Disappointed with the frame rate on the American levels though. Stil very worth the $9 I paid.

Zezboob

I am very tempted, but damn that auto save.

It may sound stupid, but I hate that sensation of missing something. Specially when I know that originally I had it (on Dreamcast for this case).

You guys reckon there's any chance JSRF gets ported next? I really want to play that one too. I love JSR's style, but the sequel's flair looks even more up my street. (Also, its remix of 'Concept of Love' is amazing.)

I've really been enjoying this port on the PS3, have not have any of the stuttering or pop in issues mentioned (SSD ftw on that I think). Disappointed with the frame rate on the American levels though. Stil very worth the $9 I paid.

I'm not sure why the American levels (specifically the one with the train tracks) have framerate issues- they don't seem particularly busier than the Tokyo-to levels.

iavi

You guys reckon there's any chance JSRF gets ported next? I really want to play that one too. I love JSR's style, but the sequel's flair looks even more up my street. (Also, its remix of 'Concept of Love' is amazing)

I'd say that there's a damn good chance.

Top Bottom