• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jewish-GAF: Shalom!

See my family was from Russia, Poland, and Lithuania. They got the crap out of dodge in the late 19th Century to the only country that welcomed them from a with the chance to obtain success and free to practice their religion: America. I don't think any of them ever had any desire to go to Israel. None of them left for Israel either.
So the families that went to America are the "real Jews" while the ones that went to Israel are Europeans pretending to be Jewish?

RawPower

Banned
See my family was from Russia, Poland, and Lithuania. They got the crap out of dodge in the late 19th Century to the only country that welcomed them from a with the chance to obtain success and free to practice their religion: America. I don't think any of them ever had any desire to go to Israel. None of them left for Israel either.

Mine came in the early 20s from Russia, just before the Nazis came to power. My grandparents were all born in Brooklyn, although my grandmother was Mexican. Grandfather told me countless stories about the discrimination he faced here, such as being denied jobs, access to certain clubs, hotels, areas, getting beat up, harassed, etc. America even used to turn Jewish refugees around and deport them back to Europe before and during the Holocaust. Israel, on the other hand, would never do that.

Mine came in the early 20s from Russia, just before the Nazis came to power. My grandparents were all born in Brooklyn, although my grandmother was Mexican. Grandfather told me countless stories about the discrimination he faced here, such as being denied jobs, access to certain clubs, hotels, areas, getting beat up, harassed, etc.
We never got gassed en masse or had to worry about large scale progroms. We never had to flee and live in a state whose goal it is (to try and claim to) be a state for Jews and homogeneous with no others. Was America perfect? No, but it was (and still is) the best damn place to be a Jew and not be shut in with only one community (as a goal). That strain of intense paranoia never occurred in the US.

America even used to turn Jewish refugees around and deport them back to Europe before and during the Holocaust. Israel, on the other hand, would never do that.
Just hope you're not an Israeli Arab...or an aid ship. lol

So the families that went to America are the "real Jews" while the ones that went to Israel are Europeans pretending to be Jewish?

They're the ones who decided to hide in a fortress like state away from any besides other Israeli Jews.

RawPower

Banned
We never got gassed en masse or had to worry about large scale progroms. We never had to flee and live in a state whose goal it is (to try and claim to) be a state for Jews and homogeneous with no others. Was America perfect? No, but it was (and still is) the best damn place to be a Jew and not be shut in with only one community (as a goal). That strain of intense paranoia never occurred in the US.

Just hope you're not an Israeli Arab...or an aid ship. lol

They're the ones who decided to hide in a fortress like state away from any besides other Israeli Jews.

I agree with you here. However, Israel does need to exist because it's really the only thing we have to fall back on if we need to flee another break-out of antisemitic disease.

Natetan

so jewish gaf, tell me your opinions about Israel.

I had a lot of jewish friends growing up, and still do, but I never really talk to them about Israel.

It certainly might make things in the middle east easier if israel wasn't there. Or maybe things would be worse and they would find something else to fight about.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Mine came in the early 20s from Russia, just before the Nazis came to power. My grandparents were all born in Brooklyn, although my grandmother was Mexican. Grandfather told me countless stories about the discrimination he faced here, such as being denied jobs, access to certain clubs, hotels, areas, getting beat up, harassed, etc. America even used to turn Jewish refugees around and deport them back to Europe before and during the Holocaust. Israel, on the other hand, would never do that.

Andale!

I had a lot of jewish friends growing up, and still do, but I never really talk to them about Israel.

It certainly might make things in the middle east easier if israel wasn't there. Or maybe things would be worse and they would find something else to fight about.

They'd find other things to fight about

Nice stealth troll, but this thread will be a nicer place if politics didn't dominate the agenda.

If the issue really bugs you, why don't you start a separate thread and get all of GAF's opinion.

M.D

You should go to Jerusalem if you can, especially Dome of the Rock.

Edit: Also, Haifa. Fucking beautiful city. Actually, I can't think of a bad city in Israel. I love being Israeli. <3

Edit 2: Despite my love for my heritage, I would never think of getting a circumcision. That has to be the most arbitrary, violating, insane rule in any religion. Fuck that.

JewGaffer checking in!

This place in Haifa is really beautiful

israel_-_haifa_-_bahai_gardens_.jpg

bahai_temple_haifa.JPG

RawPower

Banned

As much as I don't want this to turn into a political thread, I will give my opinion anyway. I believe that Israel has every right to exist as a Jewish state. However, I don't agree with displacing and exiling non-Jewish populations and the expansionist policies of Israel. I think Israel's existence is imperative for the long-term survival of the Jewish people, because not only does it afford us the right to self-determination as a historically oppressed ethnic minority, but it provides a safe haven in case there are widespread outbreaks of antisemitism in the countries we inhabit today.

I agree with you here. However, Israel does need to exist because it's really the only thing we have to fall back on if we need to flee another break-out of antisemitic disease.

I'd just go to Canada if it ever got that bad, which I don't ever see happening. That said I'd rather die in America than flee (and not by going quietly into the night). Like I said Israel is just another country. Besides they'd treat my wife (as a Catholic) like crap and tell my daughter (since her mom isn't Jewish) that she's not a Jew. No thanks I have no desire for that closed off homogeneous lifestyle.

RawPower

Banned
I'd just go to Canada if it ever got that bad, which I don't ever see happening. That said I'd rather die in America than flee (and not by going quietly into the night). Like I said Israel is just another country. Besides they'd treat my wife (as a Catholic) like crap and tell my daughter (since her mom isn't Jewish) that she's not a Jew. No thanks I have no desire for that closed off homogeneous lifestyle.

Well what if the same thing happens in Canada? Then what? What if they put restrictions on Jewish immigrations like America and British mandated Palestine did back in the 30's and 40's? I don't mean to say that America isn't (currently, at least) a great place to be a Jew, and if you choose to die in America no matter what, that's your choice. However, it's still very important option to have a place you can run to that will welcome you with open arms if things get really bad again. I'd also vehemently disagree with the notion that antisemitism is dead (personal experience has proven quite the opposite) and won't ever surface in any meaningful way again. A lot can change in the course of our lifetimes, and just because there's nobody throwing us in ovens anymore or forcing us to live in ghettos doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people that still fucking hate our guts.

Well what if the same thing happens in Canada?
Come on it's Canada!

Then what? What if they put restrictions on Jewish immigrations like America and British mandated Palestine did back in the 30's and 40's? I don't mean to say that America isn't (currently, at least) a great place to be a Jew, and if you choose to die in America no matter what, that's your choice.
Jews in America have a protection that Jews in Germany never had: military grade arms.

However, it's still very important option to have a place you can run to that will welcome you with open arms if things get really bad again.
I won't give up my country and I won't run. There has been so much good this country has given me and my family. It's not a Russia or a Poland. It's something worth fighting for. It's who am: an American

I'd also vehemently disagree with the notion that antisemitism is dead (personal experience has proven quite the opposite) and won't ever surface in any meaningful way again.
Don't think that I think it's dead for a second. It's something I'm often concerned about.

A lot can change in the course of our lifetimes, and just because there's nobody throwing us in ovens anymore or forcing us to live in ghettos doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people that still fucking hate our guts.
It's why I take precautions.

RawPower

Banned
Come on it's Canada!

Not really seeing your point here. Even if it's peaceful now, things can always change.

Jews in America have a protection that Jews in Germany never had: military grade arms.

Again, this can change. All it takes is a status quo with strong antisemitic beliefs and pretty much any law can be passed, including rescinding our rights to bear arms.

I won't give up my country and I won't run. There has been so much good this country has given me and my family. It's not a Russia or a Poland. It's something worth fighting for. It's who am: an American

Don't think that I think it's dead for a second. It's something I'm often concerned about.

It's why I take precautions.

It seems like we're mostly on the same page here. The only difference is that I would not hesitate to leave America if it ever got to the point where I feared for my life or my rights.

Not really seeing your point here. Even if it's peaceful now, things can always change.
That's just a playful Canada is perfect joke. Also to the point of one country is no different than the other.

Again, this can change. All it takes is a status quo with strong antisemitic beliefs and pretty much any law can be passed, including rescinding our rights to bear arms.
If that law happens Anti-Semitism will be the least of everyone's problems.

It seems like we're mostly on the same page here. The only difference is that I would not hesitate to leave America if it ever got to the point where I feared for my life or my rights.
If it gets that bad in America, it's going to be just that bad or worse everywhere else. I don't want to spend my last days stateless or running to a siege state. Keep in mind my wife is not Jewish and I'm sure some jackass (who would later need dental work) would try and say therefore my daughter isn't too.

RawPower

Banned
If that law happens Anti-Semitism will be the least of everyone's problems.

By "our" right to bear arms, I meant Jews rights to bear arms. Think Nuremberg Laws and you won't be far off.

If it gets that bad in America, it's going to be just that bad or worse everywhere else.

What makes you say that?

I don't want to spend my last days stateless or running to a siege state. Keep in mind my wife is not Jewish and I'm sure some jackass (who would later need dental work) would try and say therefore my daughter isn't too.

Yeah, that would be tricky. This is why I believe Israel needs to show tolerance towards all ethnic groups and religions, while still remaining a Jewish state overall.

notworksafe

Hello fellow Jews!

Kinda figured this would be a thread to bitch about our mothers...but it seems we're already on to the heavy stuff.

RawPower

Banned
Hello fellow Jews!

Kinda figured this would be a thread to bitch about our mothers...but it seems we're already on to the heavy stuff.

Politics are nigh unavoidable these days. Whenever someone finds out that I'm a Jew, they start piling on with stupid questions like "why are you oppressing the Palestinian people?!".

Apath

You remind me of my uncle. A brilliant, kind, highly accomplished man, but kind of crazy and paranoid. He believes every Jew should have a gun because the world will inevitably turn on us. I found out when I was ~16 that he has a secret room full of guns and shit.

Natetan

Anyway, I grew up with a lot of jewish friends, and was always a little jealous. Always seemed cool to me. One of my friends would get picked up in a short yellow school bus to go to torah school or whatever, and we would tease him a bit.

The saders i experienced at my friends place were always fun. I won the afikomen and got drunk on wine for the first time!

You remind me of my uncle. A brilliant, kind, highly accomplished man, but kind of crazy and paranoid. He believes every Jew should have a gun because the world will inevitably turn on us. I found out when I was ~16 that he has a secret room full of guns and shit.
Eh, I look at it as a backup, but not something ever likely to happen, besides it's not like they don't have other enjoyable and normal uses.

RawPower

Banned

As I outlined above, we have many reasons to be cautious. Antisemitism is not dead.

SomeDude

Banned
What do jewish people in israel think of the united states? Do you think we should mind our own buisness regarding israel and palestine?

notworksafe

The Rockefellers are all Sephardic crypto-Jews, originally from Spain. &#8220;Rockefeller&#8221; is in all likelihood not even their real name &#8211; I&#8217;ve read that they were once called Roggenfelder. Take a look at Jay Rockefeller&#8217;s hooked Semitic nose.
This comment from the site had me cracking up. I love the term "crypto-Jews". You can't let nuts like this get to you.

RawPower

Banned
I just tried my hand at putting together an FAQ. Only 3 questions answered so far, so if anyone wants to help me out, please do so.

Top Bottom