• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Kimmel on Mass Shooting in Las Vegas

I talk about geography and you name 2 islands and a nation with a border with only 1 nation. You can choose to believe my support of gun regulation or not but I’m not sure why I would lie about something like that on an anonymous site

Gun regulation in Canada is good and ironically many of the illegal guns in the big cities come from, you guessed it, America , because yall love your guns so much. It really baffles me why people think it's hard and wont reduce gun related deaths.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Gun regulation in Canada is good and ironically many of the illegal guns in the big cities come from, you guessed it, America , because yall love your guns so much. It really baffles me why people think it's hard and wont reduce gun related deaths.

Oh but I agree it will reduce them

Chumly

Gun laws won’t help if we can’t stop illegal guns and parts from flowing into the country. America isn’t an island like Britain, New Zealand, and Australia and with our southern border unable to keep entire human beings from crossing without our knowing I don’t see how we expect to keep firearms or their parts from coming across. This issue is crazy tough to fix
You really believe this? The issue is not tough to fix at all. Of course it's not going to be utopia but even having reasonable restrictions in place will make a difference.

Ominym

Banned
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...checks-nevada-gun-purchases-article-1.2638228

The NRA will always win. Their people vote and they always show up and they are constantly fed news that the world is after them. Any slowdown to somebody getting weapons that would mow down people in an instant would hinder their culture.

2ff4844c90e4407e060687f73de4caaa.jpeg

13th amendment would not have been written in today's world.
I don’t agree with you that the NRA will always win. The road will be tough and long as it already has been, but the opposition’s strength lies in its tenacity.

The shitty truth is this fight will be won with more pointless bloodshed over incremental change that takes years to push an enact. But eventually, things will be different. We simply cannot let this fade into the realm of normality by giving up.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
You really believe this? The issue is not tough to fix at all. Of course it's not going to be utopia but even having reasonable restrictions in place will make a difference.

Oh yeah I agree

Well mostly anyway. I think in a country with 300m people and an insecure southern border it’s tougher to regulate than you think

btrboyev

Just got into an argument on Facebook with a girl who said she did not agree with Jimmy Kimmel. Her argument is she takes medication for depression, so she thinks Kimmel is rallying about people like her who shouldn’t own a gun.

zewone

I'm really glad Disney allows him to voice his opinion so honestly and openly.

It's refreshing to see someone on television speak his mind.

Chumly

Oh yeah I agree
.... I'm confused because you very clearly said gun laws won't help at all.

Ok you edited. I highly disagree. I don't see guns being easy to smuggle in large quantities compared to drugs. In addition if we had stricter in country laws it would be much hard to move around guns smuggled across the border.

TaterTots

Banned
NRA-ILA is a threat. I've posted this a thousand times today. Learn the difference between an NRA member and the NRA-ILA.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Something is better than nothing.

Yeah that’s why I said I’ll support stricter regulation and/or enforcement of existing laws

You guys act like me bringing up a different issue somehow makes me opposed to fixing this issue. It doesn’t

As someone who has been to gun safety courses the behavior you’re describing is not what I would expect from a crowd who has probably reviewed similar safety guidelines. Verifying your shot and the “gun is always loaded” mentality are the most heavily taught lessons in gun ownership.

I’m pretty sure that goes out the window when your getting shot at and the adrenaline is really pumping. I could be wrong though. In this case being armed would of been no use since most people didn’t even know where the shots where coming from and at that distance a handgun would be useless.

Toparaman

Banned
I really appreciate that he keeps speaking on these issues. If he can even get through to a few conservatives it's worth it.

Chumly

Lol of course they’ll help I just said they wouldn’t solve all gun related incidents
No shit??? Has anyone ever said that would solve everything? I guess maybe watch the video again. This is the same tired argument that everyone is sick of hearing about. Why bother.... I think the border is insecure.... why bother people Will still use guns.

aaaaa0

I thought just struck me... there hasn't ever been a mass-shooting at one of these gun shows, has there? Doesn't that seem odd?

You'd think with the sheer number of people and all the guns and ammo right there, that there would have been a few incidences by now?

You would think that attacking a large gathering of people who are already armed to the teeth would not be the wisest decision.

It's wild man

Most of Mexico's guns come from…the US
Most of Brazil's guns come from Mexico who get it from…the US.
Most of Canada's guns come from…the US

But folks will argue as if these countries are the ones producing guns and bringing them into the US lol

Luminaire

Just got into an argument on Facebook with a girl who said she did not agree with Jimmy Kimmel. Her argument is she takes medication for depression, so she thinks Kimmel is rallying about people like her who shouldn’t own a gun.

59 families are utterly destroyed. Children will never see their parents again. Friends and family are dead from a hail of gunfire for absolutely no reason. Yet the only thing she can think about is herself? I wish I could be surprised by such mentality. I wish I could be confused at how there are likely 50,000 others who share that exact mindset of hers. People like her shouldn't own a gun, and it's not because she takes medication for depression. It's because she thinks her owning a gun is more important than the lives of fifty-nine other people. It is pathetic and abhorrent.

Alas, those are just my thoughts on the matter. I'm sorry you had to waste your time on someone like her.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
No shit??? Has anyone ever said that would solve everything? I guess maybe watch the video again. This is the same tired argument that everyone is sick of hearing about. Why bother.... I think the border is insecure.... why bother people I'll still use guns.

That’s not what I said at all. Again talking about something else doesnt make me opposed to what you all want. Emotions are running high so I don’t blame you for lashing at me but understand that at no point did I oppose further gun regulation and/or stricter enforcement of gun laws. In fact I think I’ve had to reiterate that in the face of attacks more than I’ve made my other point.

That’s not what I said at all. Again talking about something else doesnt make me opposed to what you all want. Emotions are running high so I don’t blame you for lashing at me but understand that at no point did I oppose further gun regulation and/or stricter enforcement of gun laws. In fact I think I’ve had to reiterate that in the face of attacks more than I’ve made my other point.

You keep saying "I suppose gun regulation" but then keep going on about how so-not secure the Southern border is (how does that matter? they don't smuggle guns north). It comes off as extremely fake. Why even need to bring up incorrect facts or hypothetical situations when you support it? Now we're at the "emotions are running high so I don't blame you" part.

We get what you're doing.

Chumly

I understand that your saying you agree there should be changes. I should have taken out the why bother but my point still stands is that your still perpetuating the arguments that regulation won't help due to this reason or this reason. People are tired of hearing those arguments because frankly I don't see any evidence to back any of them up. The only reason why the issue is hard is because politicians do NOT want to solve it.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I’m pretty sure that goes out the window when your getting shot at and the adrenaline is really pumping. I could be wrong though. In this case being armed would of been no use since most people didn’t even know where the shots where coming from and at that distance a handgun would be useless.

I wouldn’t doubt it for some but there are many responsible gun owners out there and I doubt it would be some sort of domino effect as it’s usually a friendly atmosphere at these events. I’ve only been to couple but it’s not like everyone is itchy to use their gun and I personally don’t even take mine

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
You keep saying "I suppose gun regulation" but then keep going on about how so-not secure the Southern border is (how does that matter? they don't smuggle guns north). It comes off as extremely fake. Why even need to bring up incorrect facts or hypothetical situations when you support it? Now we're at the "emotions are running high so I don't blame you" part.

We get what you're doing.

Well take it however you like and believe what parts of my posts you want, but I think the current flow could change if the demand were there. Not that I’m predicting that to be a scenario anytime soon because those same people manufacturing all the guns going south are lobbying like hell

hbkdx12

The crazy thing is that children have always been the ultimate bastion of our society. They've always been the thing that's been "off-limits" that always needs protection.

If something like Sandy Hook can happen and have not a single meaningful piece of gun reform be implemented in the aftermath of it, there's really no snowballs chance in hell for this country to seriously consider overhauling gun laws.

I don't know how we continue to champion the idea that we're "the greatest country on earth" and yet seem to be continually so ass backwards when it comes to the most common sense shit. It's disgusting

Guns make it exceedingly easy for someone like her to kill herself. Kimmel's right. She shouldn't own a gun.

Nokterian

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...checks-nevada-gun-purchases-article-1.2638228

The NRA will always win. Their people vote and they always show up and they are constantly fed news that the world is after them. Any slowdown to somebody getting weapons that would mow down people in an instant would hinder their culture.

2ff4844c90e4407e060687f73de4caaa.jpeg

13th amendment would not have been written in today's world.

NRA is so embedded in politics that it will never change, they have so much money we all saw 'thoughts and prayers' from republicans.

59 families are utterly destroyed. Children will never see their parents again. Friends and family are dead from a hail of gunfire for absolutely no reason. Yet the only thing she can think about is herself? I wish I could be surprised by such mentality. I wish I could be confused at how there are likely 50,000 others who share that exact mindset of hers. People like her shouldn't own a gun, and it's not because she takes medication for depression. It's because she thinks her owning a gun is more important than the lives of fifty-nine other people. It is pathetic and abhorrent.

Alas, those are just my thoughts on the matter. I'm sorry you had to waste your time on someone like her.

Removing the rights of those with mental illness cannot be done flippantly.

Concern about equal treatment under the law as it is currently constituted is not selfish, indeed is arguably more necessary when the heights of emotionality in the wake of horrors might drove hasty action.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
NRA is so embedded in politics that it will never change, they have so much money we all saw 'thoughts and prayers' from republicans.

The only way reform will happen is extremely sad or completely terrifying.

Either minorities start arming themselves and marching with them or a tragedy has to happen to personally affect the law makers. That is the only way the Republicans will turn on the NRA, unless it personally affects them or minorities exercise their same right as their white voter base.

Basically, we're fucked as a country when it comes to this and it will only get worse.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Either minorities start arming themselves and marching with them or a tragedy has to happen to personally affect the law makers. That is the only way the Republicans will turn on the NRA, unless it personally affects them or the scary minorities exercise their same right.

Gabby Giffords and Steve Scalise were shot, but nothing's been done.

Minorities have been legally arming themselves since the civil rights movement.

Twenty babies were murdered by a boy with an assault rifle. Nothing's changed.

I'm not saying nothing should be done. I'm saying nothing will be done.

If a gunman shot up a maternity ward, maybe then then the US would finally do something. I mean that would be it wouldn't it? The government wouldn't do it for 6 and 7 year old kids killed in an elementary school, the final wake up call would have to be recently born babies and pregnant women in a hospital. Right wings nutjobs are all about going on with how theyre so pro-life and wanting women carrying babies to term.

Of course I know they will just be hypocrites and spew rhetoric like "maybe if the nurses and doctors had guns" just like Sandy Hook

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Gabby Giffords and Steve Scalise were shot, but nothing's been done.

Minorities have been legally arming themselves since the civil rights movement.

Twenty babies were murdered by a boy with an assault rifle. Nothing's changed.

I'm not saying nothing should be done. I'm saying nothing will be done.

Black Panthers in the 60's lit a fire under a lot of Republicans ass about gun laws quickly. Ironic how racism plays such a strong influence into it.

Reagen was shot too, but it sadly seems the country only acts under a tragedy rather than another crazy, loony, lone wolf gun man. Who I do believe after he was out of office, even came out in favor of gun laws. Not saying it helped, but once they experience, their opinions seem to change.

The sad reality is, it's most likely only going to get worse before it gets better. NRA and it's groupies are going to double down even more on their shit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Black Panthers in the 60's lit a fire under a lot of Republicans ass about gun laws quickly.

Reagen was shot too, but it sadly seems the country only acts under a tragedy rather than another crazy, loony, lone wolf gun man. Who I do believe after he was out of office, even came out in favor of gun laws. Not saying it helped, but once they experience, their opinions seem to change.

Actually, both Reagen and Bush Sr were in favor of an assault weapon ban while in office. Reagan was quoted a few times as saying he believed military type weaponary should not be in the hands of civilians.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Either minorities start arming themselves and marching with them or a tragedy has to happen to personally affect the law makers. That is the only way the Republicans will turn on the NRA, unless it personally affects them or minorities exercise their same right as their white voter base.

Basically, we're fucked as a country when it comes to this and it will only get worse.

Lawmakers personally got shot at a baseball game and it did shit for gun legislation.

That's how fucked we are.

Same politicians deny climate change .

Well, it's been working in Canada. Semiautomatic rifles are often used for hunting, sport, and self-defense. I'm not saying anyone needs one. I'm saying I feel Canada's gun control is adequate.

Are you actually Canadian or just using a loose understanding of our gun laws to make a point? Semi-auto guns cannot be used for hunting in Canada and they are definitely not used for self-defense. I'd like to think our system is designed in a way to make AR's a soft ban in that you will own a useless piece of metal outside of firing it at a gun range.

Magwik

Banned
If a gunman shot up a maternity ward, maybe then then the US would finally do something. I mean that would be it wouldn't it? The government wouldn't do it for 6 and 7 year old kids killed in an elementary school, the final wake up call would have to be recently born babies and pregnant women in a hospital. Right wings nutjobs are all about going on with how theyre so pro-life and wanting women carrying babies to term.

Of course I know they will just be hypocrites and spew rhetoric like "maybe if the nurses and doctors had guns" just like Sandy Hook
The cold truth is that they don't care who dies. Nothing will change that, so we have to fight twice as hard as they do.

y2dvd

It really is up to constituents to put pressure on their political leaders, but they are too brainwashed by the NRA to love the 2nd amendment and fear the government to ever do anything about guns unfortunately.

You can't suddenly ban guns in the US but I America needs to follow Canada in banning automatics.
There is a federal assault weapons ban, right?
But i completely agree. Fuck those damn guns man. Guns are so backward. Jesus, instead of getting more modern and humane, USA is going backwards in a rapid pace.

Removing the rights of those with mental illness cannot be done flippantly.

Concern about equal treatment under the law as it is currently constituted is not selfish, indeed is arguably more necessary when the heights of emotionality in the wake of horrors might drove hasty action.

OK fine. Ban these killing tools across the board. Everyone treated the same.

notaskwid

Gun laws won’t help if we can’t stop illegal guns and parts from flowing into the country. America isn’t an island like Britain, New Zealand, and Australia and with our southern border unable to keep entire human beings from crossing without our knowing I don’t see how we expect to keep firearms or their parts from coming across. This issue is crazy tough to fix
Erm there are many countries that aren't islands without the gun problem in the US.

Well take it however you like and believe what parts of my posts you want, but I think the current flow could change if the demand were there. Not that I'm predicting that to be a scenario anytime soon because those same people manufacturing all the guns going south are lobbying like hell

The reason people are responding to you negatively is because you're coming off as a concern troll. In one instance, you were presented with countries in which gun control is stable, and somehow you find it logical to assume that demand can change over a period of time when demand hasn't changed for those countries. Frankly that stance doesn't really make sense considering you kept talking about how you support added regulation + enforcement. Moreover, every time someone presented a viable counter that defeated your argument, you shift goalposts into another "concern."

CazTGG

There is a federal assault weapons ban, right?

There's three categories of firearms in Canada: Non-restrictive, restrictive and prohibited. Automatics like the AK-47 fall into the latter category. Anyone seeking to own a non-restricted firearm has to undergo a thorough background check before they can obtain the required license to own and use one. There was also a firearms registry that kept a record on non-restricted firearms and their owners/license owners until Stephen Harper scrapped it because Harper is the worst.

gamerMan

This was great. Usually, with these mass shootings, I don't feel anything. This one felt personal so I really echo his sentiment. It's hard not to get emotional. This is not the country I want to live in where some sicko can own 42 weapons including semis and gun down over 500 civilians. Sadly, nobody is going to anything except pray and feed the gun lobby.

There's three categories of firearms in Canada: Non-restrictive, restrictive and prohibited. Automatics like the AK-47 fall into the latter category. Anyone seeking to own a non-restricted firearm has to undergo a thorough background check before they can obtain the required license to own and use one. There was also a firearms registry that kept a record on non-restricted firearms and their owners/license owners until Stephen Harper scrapped it because Harper is the worst.

Thanx! (from the Netherlands so just trying to learn the exact situation).
What category are they in the USA?

Anticol

Banned
It's not Fox News. You can see how people take up, spread, and believe false news on Facebook. The problem is that a large part of the nation wants to be lied to.

It is easier to believe lies that follows your way of thinking than believe facts that go against it.

I'm sick and tired of headlines like this popping up. It's incredible how such an advanced society like our own continues to not even bat an eye at at events like this.

Obama did jack shit after Sandy Hook and Orlando and now Trump will do jack shit about this and the other events that will happen because of the U.S. not doing anything.

This isn't a place where I want to raise a family. This isn't a place I feel safe in. I want to live and bring in life happily, not afraid.

Nobody does anything and that pisses me off.

Top Bottom