• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition YouTube Needs To Face The Music

https://youtu.be/fO-NvN0Diu4

The past week and change has been chaotic in certain sectors of videogame YouTube. Copyright strikes, mental health issues, legal trouble and more erupted around the otherwise unassuming shooter, Starr Mazer DSP.

And while anarchy ruled the roost, YouTube itself let it all happen.

Was expecting him to cover this. this video is more about Youtube and how they
Didn't
handle this.

Copyright takedown if old

I think YT only cares about its breadwinners, not every indie dev.

Which is sad because there's blatant abuse left and right.

Kthulhu

Not much said that hasn't been before, but it's always interesting seeing how it all works.

Hopefully the painkillers are good enough to get high off of as a silver lining to his injury.

RomeoDog

Banned
There's a lawsuit that needs to happen to protect youtubers. Personal phone number address and contact emails to the plaintiffs ? WTF is youtube letting happen. This is probably how people got pewdiepies address and stuff.

lome88

I expect competition to come in the future that leads many big content creators to slowly walk away from youtube.

You're already starting to see that in small doses. A friend of mine uses Vidme for content uploading and while he has seen much more success on that platform, he often comments about how more, larger Youtuber personalities are starting to upload on the site. Folks like Did You Know Gaming and Nostalgia Critic are on there now doing simultaneous uploads.

Dram

You're already starting to see that in small doses. A friend of mine uses Vidme for content uploading and while he has seen much more success on that platform, he often comments about how more, larger Youtuber personalities are starting to upload on the site. Folks like Did You Know Gaming and Nostalgia Critic are on there now doing simultaneous uploads.
Won't Vidme eventually face the same issues that Youtube does?

mas8705

We are still in the same Song and dance with Youtube that we've been in for years now. A lovely little system where you can abuse the hell out of it and not have to worry about repercussions regardless if you are right or wrong.

Would be nice if Youtube actually did something to fix this problem, but will they? Of course not. Money talks and as long as it isn't out of their pocket, they aren't going to give a care over the small things like fair use and etc.

Won't Vidme eventually face the same issues that Youtube does?

More likely they'll collapse when they fail to get someone buy them out and deal with all their legal issues or their player goes to shit and everyone jumps ship for one that's more functional. Either way, it won't last long since it seems like with a lot of creators who use alternate players end up changing services at least once or twice a year.

Okay so yes its a problem, its been a problem the question is what can be done about it by the rest of us?

I have an idea, its an outright terrible idea for many many reasons but it seems pretty clear to me that youtube isn't going to change this unless it has to, unless they are made to. The only way I see that happening is by (again remember, I'm saying ahead of time this is a terrible idea!) a massive effort in abusing this very system to take down multiple videos/channels all at once.

Yes, yes, its a terrible idea that would hurt youtube creators and absolutely shouldn't be done but the reason I bring it up is that would clearly be a nuclear option but what else can be done besides that? It's been years since this system was put into effect and its only getting harder for youtubers to do anything about it and everything thats already been tried hasn't worked. So what else is there?

Before anyone calls me crazy, again I did say I think the idea is terrible I just don't know what else could really be done about it at this point, I'd make youtube take action for once but outside of undoing what this did there is no way to be sure that it would even make them consider making changes to this system.

Youtube doesn't give a shit and won't give a shit, so that's why the system is set to be as automated as possible. They are happy with the current status quo because they are a monopoly. They don't care about content creators, definitely not the little guys. Unless you are big time youtuber with direct a youtube contact, you are pretty much fucked.

This whole mauer incident will just be quietly swept under the rug because it didn't create a big enough splash outside of gaming.

Matty77

Great video and yeah YouTube doesn't seem to care who gets hurt as long as they keep drawing advertisers, same as not taking care of the filth on the site both creators and in the comments leading to the censorship lockdown on advertising.

I really wish Jim had another place to upload since I refuse to miss the Jimquisition and usually enjoy a fair amount of his other output as well, yet he is the only reason I even use YouTube these days.

How is Twitch regarding stuff like this in regards to copyright stuff? Havent heard much of anything about them in that regard
far more lax generally, but playing copyrighted music or movies can get your vods muted or channel banned depending on context and severity.

far more lax generally, but playing copyrighted music or movies can get your vods muted or channel banned depending on context and severity.
Yeah even just game music. I stream on Twitch (no viewers I just like to archive my stuff; and just because Youtube banned my streaming for 3 months for showing a prostitute in GTA 5 hhhh they did it last year to for showing a Witcher 3 sex scene lol), and I've noticed copyright in-game music sometimes gets flagged as fast or even faster on Twitch.

Not for every game, but I got a bunch of No Man's Sky live streams almost instantly muted soon as the video of the stream uploaded. Just the parts where the music plays though; no strikes or anything like that. I was just surprised to see it happen so fast on Twitch (and No Man's Sky, no less).

It's kinda an aside but YT gaming monetization (ad revenue) over the last few weeks on Youtube is almost finally back to pre-Spring levels and that whole 'ad buyer pullout' controversy. It slowly went up to about 50% what it was over the first month, but it's basically all the way up to what it was for me before. Ad buys are often quarterly, I guess? So maybe advertisers are coming back since the PDP controversy died down.
That seems reasonable. Is it as easy to screw over someone like it is on Youtube?
Twitch probably doesn't have the same reporting process... even with the system is in place, I doubt they have the staff to enforce it as aggressively as YT can. In my limited experience, it mostly seems automatic. My NMS streams were basically instantly muted after being uploaded (usually the sci-fi atmospheric 'songs' that play on the main menu screen).

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
The problem is that to deal with this, Google would have to start putting more resources on YouTube which isn't going to happen because YouTube is a money loser. This is despite it being the most successful video sharing site on the internet.

It might be possible for a competitor to get the formula working and treat its content creators better but so far the internet's history is filled with video sharing sites that have lost enough money that they've been shut down.

Umitencho

Neo Member
My NMS streams were basically instantly muted after being uploaded (usually the sci-fi atmospheric 'songs' that play on the main menu screen).

Same thing happened when I streamed the Xenoverse story mode. I think it was the cha-la head cha-la song that triggered the flag. I use Twitch as a early monitoring system now. If I get a flag just from normal gameplay, then I know it's a game to watch out for before uploading the footage to youtube.

acm2000

This isn't just YouTube, it's everyone and everything. You pander to those with the biggest pockets of cash as they're the ones that can hurt you most, is how business works.

Top Bottom