• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The best game music of all time.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Oh god the more I look at this list the more it fails, not a single Ridge Racer suggestion. And here I was thinking GAF had everything covered. Well I go ahead and post 3 tracks from the greatest racing OST ever put to ears, R4.

R4 Pearl Blue Soul

R4 Your Vibe

R4 One More Win

Edit: I see Relaxed Muscle beat me to the R4 love. I also see we chose the same tracks except for Pearl Blue Soul. How can you not love that song.

Ooh, jazzy. I like, a lot!

Soule said:
FFX - The Sight of Spira can't believe it's not in the big list on the first page, not your typical game music but it's one of my favourite songs and I listen to it a lot.

I still think Wandering Flames is way better. As good as Thunder Plateau is, it doesn't hold a candle to this song.

GCQuinton

Sixfortyfive said:
I hope you won't mind if I substitute the instrumental version in its place. Sonic R's soundtrack is about 50x more tolerable if you remove the vocals.

Sure. The vocals were part of its charm to me, though. :D

Just thought of one more, but I'm not even sure if it'll count (didn't play it that long to know if it was in the game). I've always just liked the song and wanted an excuse to post it:

Shenmue - Shenhua Sedge Flower (Orchestra Version)

Chowfahn

Neo Member

Masked Man

I said wow
Maybe we could simply randomize the songs in terms of which ones are in which voting bracket...? That seems more purely based on actual musical quality. I dunno, it's up to you.

Ok then...

Deus Ex - Hong Kong
Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Peter Purser
Goemon's Great Adventure - Floating World Town
Goemon's Great Adventure - Underworld Castle
Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Kyoto ^ Ancient Capital of Japan
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon Music - Submarine Castle
Goldeneye - Runway X
International Superstar Soccer 64 - Menu music
F-Zero X - Drivin' Through on Max
Fighter's Destiny - Joker's Room
Batman NES - Stage 3
Batman GB - Stage 1
Choujin Sentai Jetman - Area A
Choujin Sentai Jetman - Area E
Chip 'N Dale - Stage J
Darkwing Duck NES - F.O.W.L'S Floating Fortress
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Treetop Tumble
Battletoads & Double Dragon (SNES) - Stage 3
Castlevania Circle of the Moon - Aquaris
Headhunter - Jack's Theme
Life Force - Stage 2
Super Mario 64 - Credits
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - River Stage
Megaman 5 - Waveman
Megaman 7 - Shademan
Mighty Final Fight - Stage 2
Nintendo World Cup - Match Music 6
Pop'n Twinbee - Far East Sky
Pop'n Twinbee - Wild Life
Power Blade - Sector 1
Shadow of the Ninja - Stage 2
Shadow of the Ninja - Boss
Tecmo World Wrestling - Fight music 1
Tecmo World Wrestling - Fight music 3
TMNT 2: Back from the Sewers - Dead End
TMNT 2: Back from the Sewers - Bump Me
TMNT 2 The Arcade Game (NES) - Technodrome
TMNT Hyperstone Heist - Back in the Sewers
The Adventures of Bayou Billy - Swamp Theme
UN Squadron - Forest Fortress
Kirby Superstar: Milky Way Wishes Ending
Live-A-Live - Wanderer
Stunt Race FX - Aqua Tunnel
Super Bomberman - Boss
Super Bomberman - Level 3
Super Mario Land - Muda Kingdom Theme
Turtles in Time - Sewer Surfin'
Turtles in Time - Alleycat Blues
Turtles in Time - Going up
Troddlers - Quartet
Troddlers - Crossed
Ufouria - Theme
Ufouria - Cave
Tiny Toon Wacky Sports Challenge - Birdman
Wild Guns - Final Fight Part 2
Zelda 3 - Ending
Top Gear Rally - Menu
Top Gear Rally - Jungle
Street Fighter 2 - M. Bison / Balrog
Space Station Silicon Valley - Rat-o-Matic

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've taken all of the suggestions up to this point and updated my master list. (I'll update the OP to reflect this later tonight, probably in about an hour or so.) The nominee count is at 1007 tracks, so it's going to be trimmed some before I'm done with it. I'll start chopping away at some of my own more obscure suggestions first.

I replaced this with a link to just the first song. If you want to also nominate the second, try to find me a link for that.

Is this a remix?

The video descriptions say these are remixes/arranged versions. Did the home port have multiple versions to pick from in-game?

But I REALLY REALLY like Butter Building. D: I will still probably switch it out for this song though, as it's been recommended a lot.

I am also considering removing Castle/Ship medley for this one (or another Smash song), as I don't think many of these OOT songs were nominated.

Would also be willing to swap out FD for another main theme variation if needed.

I still think Wandering Flames is way better.
Zzzzzzzzzzz........

Shenmue - Shenhua Sedge Flower (Orchestra Version)
I prefer the Orchestra and Vocal versions as well, but I don't think they ever actually show up in the game itself.

Death_Born said:
Also, can we use the OST for game music, if it is enhanced from the MIDI, or do we have to use MIDI? Is that technically a remix?
I'll probably allow it if it's really close, but I'd prefer the in-game versions.

Sixfortyfive

dabookerman said:
Floater Land instead of Melty Molten ? <;o
Is that a vote in favor of a switch?

Also, I'm going to switch out the Saturn version of Let's Go Away for the Model 2 version. The guitar bit at the ~4 minute mark is a lot better in that one.

Sixfortyfive said:
Is that a vote in favor of a switch?

Also, I'm going to switch out the Saturn version of Let's Go Away for the Model 2 version. The guitar bit at the ~4 minute mark is a lot better in that one.

Yas, I'm sure most will agree :3

Sixfortyfive

dabookerman said:
Yas, I'm sure most will agree :3
I think you're right. My count wasn't accurate for that one because I think I had it split between "Floater Land" and "Buoy Base."

Sixfortyfive said:
I think you're right. My count wasn't accurate for that one because I think I had it split between "Floater Land" and "Buoy Base."

They are both the same track.

Floater Land is the official name for the Buoy Base level. It's the name on the OST.
Gusty Garden is called Wind Garden and the final Boss is called uh, Hell Prominence.

Sixfortyfive

dabookerman said:
They are both the same track.
Yeah, I know. That's why my count was wrong.

Anyway, page 1 list has been updated again. The nominee count is now at 1000 tracks even, so nothing else is getting added without something being taken away. I'm going to stop taking suggestions at 5PM EST, so consider this a last call for changes/additions/corrections.

In the meantime, I'm going to start grouping tracks from the same franchises together ("Super Mario ____" stuff gets moved next to "Mario ___" stuff), finding some more links (or uploading if need be), and generally getting things ready to copy over to the voting page.

EDIT: Jesus, already noticed a mistake. There's a ZOE track at the top of the list somehow. -_-

I think the list is very solid. I guess if I had a personal request, is I would have Route 22 from Pokemon GSC in it, as that is one I would personally vote for, but I guess there isn't any point since I suppose others won't vote for it ;p

edit: I vote for removing Ocelot Confrontation in favour of Debriefing.

That track is amazing, and I know that will get many votes.

Sixfortyfive

Okay, I've slightly tweaked the OP so that games in the same series are listed next to each other. Let me know if there are any stray games on the list that are not placed next to other games in the same franchise. This will help when I decide how to split the list into individual sets tomorrow. The idea is that:

- all of the songs from the same series will be placed in the same set and voted on at the same time
- popular franchises with several nominations (Castlevania, Mario, Metroid, Metal Gear, Megaman, Sonic, Final Fantasy, etc.) will not be placed in the same set together

Cosmozone

Just came home, I hope not too late.

Now three songs per game, eh? In this case I have to some more nominees (plus stuff I forgot). :)
Tekken 4 - Authentic Sky (Rooftop stage)
Tekken 4 - Honmaru (The Inner Temple)
Privateer - Pleasure Base
Privateer (Righteous Fire add-on) - Gaea
Gradius II/Nemesis 3 - Salamander Boss
Gradius II/Nemesis 3 (MSX) - Intro
Gradius/Nemesis 2 (MSX) - Floating Continent (Stage 4)
(found a better link, it's the second tune)
Gradius/Nemesis 2 (MSX) - Giant Idols (Stage 1)
It's the second tune.
Gradius/Nemesis 2(MSX) - Living Planet (Stage 6)
It's the second tune.
Gradius/Nemesis (MSX) - Extra Stage
Penguin Adventure - Forest Path
Penguin Adventure - Ice Path
Could only find this collection... go to minute 2:45
Penguin Adventure - Underwater Theme
Same problem... go to minute 5:15
Knightmare - 1st Stage Theme
Dragonball Z Budokai 2 - Mind Space Theme
Finally found a link to this tune - too bad it's so short and there are battle noises.

I hope I have now all the stuff I know, lol. (and is available)

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:
But I REALLY REALLY like Butter Building. D: I will still probably switch it out for this song though, as it's been recommended a lot.

I am also considering removing Castle/Ship medley for this one (or another Smash song), as I don't think many of these OOT songs were nominated.

Would also be willing to swap out FD for another main theme variation if needed.

I love Butter Building, too, but I'm still partial to MKR, and I daresay that the latter is more popular. (Although I would say that Butter Building is certainly underappreciated--it's fantastic!)

Hm... Tough call about FD. It's probably the "best" version of the main theme--not counting the original, of course.

JRW said:

Oh, my goodness. =O

I went this whole time without making a Banjo nomination!! I am ashamed... ;_; Seriously, Grant Kirkhope's work on Banjo was part of what inspired within me a serious interest in music.

* Banjo-Kazooie - Gobi's Valley (I prefer the original to the version that you posted, but we'll see what happens. The latter is certainly more iconic, eh?)
* Banjo-Kazooie - Gruntilda's Lair
* Banjo-Kazooie - Click Clock Wood (Spring)

Ah... That's better! :D

Sixfortyfive

About an hour to go before I close off nominations. I'm writing up the OP for the voting thread and finishing the page right now.

Masked Man said:
Oh, my goodness. =O

I went this whole time without making a Banjo nomination!! I am ashamed... ;_; Seriously, Grant Kirkhope's work on Banjo was part of what inspired within me a serious interest in music.
I only added TTC into the last update after bumping into it in an unrelated Youtube hunt. Dunno how it slipped by everyone.

EDIT: Here's how the OP for the voting thread looks at the moment:

TL;DR - Just go here if you want to jump straight to the voting. Please give this thread a lookover either before or after you vote, though.

Hello. This is the voting/discussion thread for a "best game music evar" poll that started here. One thousand songs from over 500 games were nominated, and it is your task to narrow this massive tracklist down to the best of the best. Here's how this is going to work:

- On Monday, I post a link to a voting page that has 50 songs up for voting. The OP will have links to these songs on Youtube (or elsewhere) if you want to listen to them before casting your vote.
- From the list of 50 songs, you can pick up to 20 favorites to vote for (or less than that if you don't feel like being that thorough).
- The following Monday, I'll tally the results for the previous week's set and post a new set of 50 songs for voting.
- The process repeats itself until all 1000 songs have been put up for voting.
- The top-ranked songs from each list advance to a final round of voting.

If this sounds interesting, then donate a few minutes of your time by casting your vote here.

CURRENT SET LIST: ROUND 1
NEXT SET STARTS ON SEPT 29

[tracklist goes here]

[links to previous set results go here]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Can I see the entire tracklist, including previous/upcoming sets?

A: Sure thing. Haven't bothered formatting it, though.

Q: How is the voting conducted, and how are you tallying the results?

A: You pick up to 20 favorites from the provided list of 50 songs. Then you order your list of 20 (or however many you picked) from most favorite to least favorite. Your favorite song on the list receives 20 points, your 2nd pick gets 19 points, and so on. Once voting for the current set is done, I sum all of the votes and then post a link to the next set.

Q: You really expect me to listen to 50 songs all the way through, select 20 of them, and then place them in order week-in, week-out, for several months?

A: Well, no. You don't have to put that much effort into it. If you want, you can just pick out 5 or 10 songs from the current list that you already know and like, then move on. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I would appreciate it if you dropped by weekly to vote on each set, even if it's only to pick out stuff you already know. The more people who actually give the tracklist a thorough listening to before voting, though, the better. Who knows, you might find something you like.

Q: Do I have to stick around for the whole thing? Can I still vote if I missed the previous rounds?

A: You can participate in as many or as few individual sets as you want. It doesn't matter if you miss any.

Q: How many songs from each list advance to the next round?

A: Right now, I'm thinking that 10 songs from each set of 50 will advance.

Q: Isn't a week per set overkill? One week X over 20 sets = over 5 months!

A: I want to give enough time for people to listen to the entire set of 50 songs before casting a vote, so right now I'm planning to update this thread on a weekly basis. Consider it a weekly routine thread in the vein of the VC/XBLA/PSN threads if you like. If interest takes a nosedive later in the week and votes start drying up, though, I might put up subsequent sets for only 3 or 4 days at a time.

Q: Will cheating be addressed?

A: Yes. I have the means to check for ballot-stuffing. If you screw up and accidentally vote twice, let me know so I can fix things for you.

Q: How were songs nominated? _____ isn't on the list!

A: Check the nominations thread. Basically, selections were limited to (a) 3 songs per game, (b) no remixes, and (c) no licensed music. If your favorite song isn't here, then it's probably because either nobody nominated it, 3 other songs from the same game were picked instead, or it broke one of the above rules. (Furthermore, if you spot any songs in the voting list that break one of these rules, let me know. It's possible something slipped through in a list of 1000.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

645's PICKS FOR ROUND 1

[my comments on the current set goes here]

Did I miss anything? If you have any questions or comments that you feel should be addressed in the OP, let me know.

Also, feel free to discuss your votes and any of the songs posted in this thread. You must go to the page linked above to actually get your vote counted, though.

A THOUSAND MUZACKS ENTER; ONE MUZACK LEAVES!1
Did I leave anything out? (Some links are intentionally broken.)

Sixfortyfive said:
I've taken all of the suggestions up to this point and updated my master list. (I'll update the OP to reflect this later tonight, probably in about an hour or so.) The nominee count is at 1007 tracks, so it's going to be trimmed some before I'm done with it. I'll start chopping away at some of my own more obscure suggestions first.

I replaced this with a link to just the first song. If you want to also nominate the second, try to find me a link for that.

Is this a remix?

I only find this: Soul Edge - Our Way Home , it says Soul Calibur 3, but the song is Our Way Home from Soul Edge

Yeah,it's from the and orchesta BSO version from various RE songs, but it's not the same as the one that appears in the game, I forgot to change it after remembering the no remixes rule...

Resident Evil 2 - Ending music

This is the one that appears on the game, (the fact is that I prefer this version)

And Sorry.

Masked Man

I said wow
I know this is technically past the cutoff time, but this was my nomination for the final MOTHER 3 song, i.e. in place of "Misplaced Revenge." (The other two were simply pointed out for the sake of clarifying that the Brawl remix was an exclusive version.) I wasn't really clear about that when I originally posted... Sorry 'bout that!

MOTHER 3 - Porky's Pokies

Amir0x agrees. :D

Sixfortyfive said:
EDIT: Here's how the OP for the voting thread looks at the moment:

Did I leave anything out? (Some links are intentionally broken.)

I'm thinking 50 songs once a week would take too long to finish. How about 50 songs twice a week? That would make 100 songs a week for 2.5 months, rather than 5 months.

Also, people should be allowed to vote for 10 MAXIMUM.

Zzzzzzzzzzz........

This isn't the "Exciting game music" thread, it's the "BEST game music thread."

Sixfortyfive

Death_Born said:
I'm thinking 50 songs once a week would take too long to finish. How about 50 songs twice a week? That would make 100 songs a week for 2.5 months, rather than 5 months.
Monday and Friday it is, then.

Also, people should be allowed to vote for 10 MAXIMUM.
I don't think there's any harm in allowing more. Allowing 20 votes gives most people enough leeway to pick everything they want, and they can pick less than that if it's too much work.

This isn't the "Exciting game music" thread, it's the "BEST game music thread."
Fine. :p It was seconded on this very page, too.

Nominations are over. The list ballooned to about 1025. I cut out about 10 of my own picks, and now I'm removing some of the more recent suggestions on this page to get back down to 1000.

Vote thread should be up before 8PM EST.

Sixfortyfive

Death_Born said:
So are you going to list the 50 games by series, alphabetically, or just randomly?
Mostly broken down alphabetically with some adjustments made for balance.

Mainly, I'm trying to keep all of the same songs in a franchise in the same sets, and making it so that no two popular franchises with several (10+) nominations show up in the same set. (Notice the Megaman + Metal Gear + Metroid clusterfuck that would happen otherwise.)

For the curious, here's the nomination count for those franchises:

Mario: 39
Sonic: 37
Final Fantasy: 36
Megaman: 36
Castlevania: 24
Zelda: 20
Bemani (beatmania+DDR): 16
Metroid: 16
Metal Gear: 15
Ace Attorney (PW+AJ): 12
Pokemon: 12
Xenogears+saga: 12
Half-Life: 11
Silent Hill: 11
Pump It Up: 10
Street Fighter: 10 (not including other Capcom fighters)

Did not include the DDR Mario songs in either Bemani or Mario.

Masked Man

I said wow
Death_Born said:
So are you going to list the 50 games by series, alphabetically, or just randomly?

It should be random, in my opinion. Makes it more fair so that some of the "lesser-known" works of a high caliber won't automatically be shut out by being grouped with the FF tunes.

Masked Man said:
It should be random, in my opinion. Makes it more fair. :D

Not really. The good stuff, like Final Fantasy, should be thinned out first, otherwise they will come in top-rated in every vote and upstage something else that might be good but people won't care about.

Top Bottom