• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The best game music of all time.

scarybore

ZealousD said:
Okay, I simply do not agree with 1 song per game. I can appreciate you wanting to keep the list from blowing up into massive proportions, but that's unnecessarily restrictive. There's almost never a consensus on what the best track in each game is.

A list that restrictive isn't going to be very representative, and it sure as hell won't if you're the only person picking which songs make the cut. Seriously, for Beyond Good and Evil you cut Home Sweet Home for Spanish Bar. I don't think too many people will agree with that.

Personally I agree, I think it is unfair to some games that have stellar soundtracks that they are limited to only 1 entry and as you say, Sixfortyfive cutting the list by himself will skew the list even further.

On the flip side however, I appreciate the effort Sixfortyfive is making to this thread, and the reasoning behind the cut and listening to the songs that remain I think he has done a good job. Perhaps if some games were to get so many recommendations as to be notable, maybe they should get a extra 1 or 2 songs to choose from in the final list? Saying that, I still have 30 of my songs included in the list, and it is comfort to me at least that the list won't be flooded with FF7 songs :p

Talking of the list, if I am allowed to be anal, Monkey Island and the Secret of Monkey Island are the same game and the same song is nominated for both, though one is from the CD version of the game (I think). Also one of the songs I nominated, Phantasy Star Online 3 Card Battle - Tower of Caelum, the name of the game should really be Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution. Must have made that name up in my head or something, sorry about that.

Worth a mention is that if you add &fmt=18 onto the end of a youtube url, it results in better quality audio in stereo providing the original file uploaded was in stereo.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
as technically-reasonable as it may be, arbitrarily cutting the list to 1 song per game defies the whole purpose of the vote. it would be much more meaningful to go for a preliminary round for each game that needs one.

TheExodu5

Banned
I know it's against the thread but w/e. Final Fantasy VI has the best videogame soundtrack of all time. Phoenix Wright (the first) is another contender.

PBalfredo

Sixfortyfive said:
EDIT: Actually, if an Earthbound nut could do the same for all the Mother games, I'd like that too. Five tracks into the Earthbound list and I'm too bored to continue with this one.

Mother: Pollyanna

EarthBound: Good Friends, Bad Friends

Mother 3: 16 Melodies

Pollyanna originated in Mother, it's an imporant song that encapsulates the series, having appeared in each game, and conveys the positive and uplifting nature of the Mother games. 16 Melodies is a must for Mother 3. Not only does it include the emotionally charged and beautiful Mother 3 Love Theme, but also contains Eight Melodies and Songstone Melody, each theme of the previous Mother games. It takes the best, most powerful music from the entire series and ties it all together in this fantastic arrangement. Good Friends, Bad Friends is a natural choice for EarthBound, as it is just too darn fun, but could conceivably be replaced by Smiles and Tears.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
ZealousD said:
A list that restrictive isn't going to be very representative, and it sure as hell won't if you're the only person picking which songs make the cut. Seriously, for Beyond Good and Evil you cut Home Sweet Home for Spanish Bar. I don't think too many people will agree with that.
Personally, I thought that one was one of the easiest choices to make out of the songs provided. Home Sweet Home does nothing to really stand apart from the (literally) hundreds of other mellow-ish symphonic/orchestrated/ambient tracks already present (and after listening to so goddamn many of them, several of them are starting to blend together to me). Comparatively, Spanish Bar stands out from the pack and makes a good first impression right away.

Deathcraze said:
Talking of the list, if I am allowed to be anal, Monkey Island and the Secret of Monkey Island are the same game and the same song is nominated for both, though one is from the CD version of the game (I think). Also one of the songs I nominated, Phantasy Star Online 3 Card Battle - Tower of Caelum, the name of the game should really be Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution. Must have made that name up in my head or something, sorry about that.
Thanks.

Kusagari said:
A list with a limit on songs per game is NOT a list of the best game music of all time.
You're right. I'll probably end up changing the name of this thread when it comes to the actual voting.

I know that the restrictions I'm using right now are going to be a sticking point for most people, but I'd like to try to pull off a music thread without getting swamped by the usual Nintendo/Squaresoft/Sonic/MegaMan/etc fanbases that dominate game music discussion. For what it's worth, I'm usually giving extra weight to songs that are mentioned much more than other songs from the same game.

Gruco

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I know that the restrictions I'm using right now are going to be a sticking point for most people, but I'd like to try to pull off a music thread without getting swamped by the usual Nintendo/Squaresoft/Sonic/MegaMan/etc fanbases that dominate game music discussion. For what it's worth, I'm usually giving extra weight to songs that are mentioned much more than other songs from the same game.
I totally, totally respect what you're trying to do. Best X of Y lists are a lot of fun and much more representative, but this is tough to pull off democratically. Initially I was questioning that Grandia theme got bumped for Battle 3 for example (even though the winner was my nomination) but it makes sense, since the battle music is more distinctive, while the main theme is just kind of redundant with a lot of better tracks pulling off the same thing. That said, I still think there should be room for at least a few duplicates. The Chrono games in particular. I'm sure Halo or Mario Galaxy fans feel the same way, but I don't see the harm in having 2-3 tracks from an iconic soundtrack making the cut.

(now to complain) Lost Painting should represent SoTN rather than Wandering Ghosts. There are probably a half dozen better choices.

PBalfredo said:
Mother: Pollyanna

EarthBound: Good Friends, Bad Friends

Mother 3: 16 Melodies
This really looks about right, but the Mother 3 remix of Pollyanna is so good, can't it just be a stand in for the original? Well, as long as it's in there somewhere....

No offense, but list is bound to failure if you on your own are simply going to choose one song from each game. Good luck to you though, I won't interfere anymore.

Tsubaki

I'm so glad Folly Fall was already nominated. Someone else appreciates greatness.

But no one said Megaman 2 - Bubbleman Theme? buu

Sixfortyfive

Tsubaki said:
I'm so glad Folly Fall was already nominated. Someone else appreciates greatness.
That'd be me. *fist bump*

I first heard it on the SEGACON compilation (along with a handful of other stuff I also put in the OP). Lots of good tracks on that set.

Sixfortyfive

I'm leaning towards "Truth & Reconciliation Suite" for Halo 1, "In Amber Clad" for Halo 2, and "Halo Finale" for Halo 3 because they've been mentioned a lot more than other tracks from the same games. For the 1st and 3rd, though, most of the Youtube links for them seem to consist of more than 1 song and it's a little bit confusing.

Calcaneus

Probably my favorite stage music from my all time favorite game.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2- Chemical Plant Zone

And a few others I haven't seen on the nomination list:

Street Fighter 2 - Ken's theme

Super Street Fighter 2 - Guile's theme

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Kim Jae Hoon's theme (Too Honest)

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Rock Howard's theme (Spread the Wings)

Also, looks like I have something to listen to tonight, lots of songs I haven't heard of that were posted. And some I need to re-listen to.

Sixfortyfive

Ike said:
This pretty much one of the most memorable music pieces in gaming

Conker's Bad Fur Day- The Great Mighty Poo Song

Really, what more do you want?
Shit sucks.

In other news, I've actually caught up to the most recent submissions on my list (not in OP yet though) and am going to go through most of them and consider all the suggestions posted so far.

Thanks again.

EDIT: It is pretty hard to narrow down the Chrono Cross selection. :-/

scarybore

dabookerman said:
Ocelot Youth!? What?!
No Timesplitters?

What happened to the list?

Ocelot Youth is good stuff (well, I did vote for it) though I do think there are better MGS3 tunes, but it is quite different and distinctive from a lot of the other nominees. Now Chaotic Dance, I've always thought that was god awful and would mute my TV when that song started playing so i'm amazed anyone voted for that. Could be a drunk goat doing the lyrics for all I know.

Drakken

GitarooMan said:
No offense, but list is bound to failure if you on your own are simply going to choose one song from each game. Good luck to you though, I won't interfere anymore.

Have to agree; it's then just your personal preference. Still, I'll post a list later.

Sixfortyfive

dabookerman said:
Ocelot Youth!? What?!
No Timesplitters?

What happened to the list?
Give me time. I'll get around to it.

EDIT: I'm thinking of changing up the rules a bit. Something like letting up to 3 songs from the same game be on the final voting list, but only letting the best-scoring song from a single game make it to the 2nd round of voting. There's just too many good tracks that are going to be tossed out otherwise.

Probably should have thought this all the way through before I started this, but damn, I did not expect so many submissions. My last poll thread failed pretty hard in comparison.

EDIT 2: Something is going to have to be done about those Halo tracks. Several of the Youtube videos link to OST tracks that are multiple songs combined into one track and it's not always obvious which is which to me. Also, Truth & Reconciliation Suite and Halo Finale both have the most recommendations for their respective games, but they're really similar in parts. I might bump T&R down in favor of the Halo Main Theme.

Finally, you guys notice some of those questions and comments in parenthesis on the main list? Any answers for those would be appreciated.

EDIT 3: I know it's been a little while since the OP got a proper update, but I've been taking my time going through most of the submissions inbetween other day-to-day matters. I'm currently somewhere in the M's and am calling it a night for now. I'm also glad that the thread has slowed down a bit.

Masked Man

I said wow
I think this should be the Okami track:

Okami - Shinshuu Plains

Likewise, the SSBB track is an interesting choice. I suggest this instead:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Meta Knight's Revenge

(I'll go through the soundtrack again, though, to see if there's anything more suitable.)

And, I'm sorry to whomever thinks that "Snowman" is the best track from MOTHER 3, but they're wrong--like, WAY wrong. If I absolutely HAD to pick one track to stand above the others, though it pains me to do so, it's this:

MOTHER 3 - Love Theme

Hands down, one of the most beautiful pieces of music to grace the gaming world. (Not to mention that "Snowman" has been around since MOTHER on the NES, so it's not like the source material is integral to the M3 story or in any way indicative of what the game truly is.)

I'll think more about the FF stuff...

Oh, and here's your Bemani information:

beatmania IIDX 6th Style - Colors
beatmania IIDX 7th Style - A
beatmania IIDX 8th Style - murmur.twins
beatmania IIDX RED - AA

Sixfortyfive

Thanks again everyone. I haven't forgotten about this thread; Youtube was just acting up last night due to maintenance and I didn't really get anything done then.

EDIT: Man, when you're trying to sift through a list like this, nothing is as demoralizing as several 7+ minute tracks with 2+ minutes of build-up one after another. D:

JEKKI

I need to give it up to the moon stage in Ducktales.

if that song doesnt make that screw attack list of best music I'ma be PISSED!

Sixfortyfive

The "OP" is now so massive that 4 posts is not enough to contain it. Anyway, the list has been updated, and I'm planning to extend the max # of songs per game to 3, so keep the suggestions coming.

Tallying the actual votes won't be nearly as much work, but there's still a lot of work to do before I can post an actual voting thread.

The current tally is approx ~1050 songs spread across ~500 games.

Bust Nak

I'll try to find clips for these oldies later:

Speed ball 2 - Brutal deluxe
Front mission - Martual Ecologist
Front mission - Rage! Rage! Rage!
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Where angels fear to tread
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Meridian child
Fronter Elite II - Main theme
Tactic Ogre - Overture
R-type III - Outer space
Fire Emblem 3 - Army of darkness

Masked Man

I said wow
Three songs per game is perfect!

* Final Fantasy VII - Aeris' Theme
* Final Fantasy VII - One-Winged Angel
* Final Fantasy VII - Main Theme (Cloud's Theme)

That makes my life so much easier. :D

Another suggestion for a different FF game:
* Final Fantasy VIII - The Castle

In terms of Pokemon GSC, you made a fine choice with Ecruteak, but I might also suggest letting this one stand up as competition:
* Pokemon Gold & Silver - Surfing Theme

For Brawl, this is one of the standouts, and it's hard to even pick just three:
* Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Meta Knight's Revenge

I'll think about it some more, though...

Also, this NEEDS to be on here:
* Phoenix Wright - Turnabout Sisters 2001

SO delicious.

Top Bottom