• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Job posting hints to Monolith Soft's X to have online multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrowa

Have they stated that somewhere?
It sort of looked like a hunter game, which made me rather concerned.

Have you played Xenoblade? People saying it looks like a hunter game always leave me behind confused. The trailers look exactly like Xenoblade -- even the combat mechanics seem to be the same.

In any case, defeating wild bosses already was a huge draw of Xenoblade. I wouldn't mind if they went a little more in that direction as long as they keep what Xenoblade made great -- huge and interesting areas to explore with lots of wild monsters roaming around them.

And judging by the trailers this still seems to be the case. Small, isolated areas a la Monster Hunter are nowhere to be seen.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
To be honest, we really don't know this. It could be a MMO for all we know. I mean, it's really unlikely, but they haven't said anything specific about the game. They haven't even given a public working title or genre.

Anything being said about this game is an assumption unless it's specifically shown in one of the trailers.

They dont have nearly enough people to even consider it being a MMO

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mmhh I am not liking the idea of X having On-line multi-player or any multi-player of the kind, but I will wait and see how it will affect the single player component of the game.

Koppai

If they are just now hiring someone for online multiplayer I don't see this game shipping until late next year...what do y'all think?

Rnr1224

Not really surprised given parts of the trailer. But I'm still incredibly excited for it. Its my most antipated of 2014!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If they are just now hiring someone for online multiplayer I don't see this game shipping until late next year...what do y'all think?

They've been hiring network programmers for at least a year now. There was even a GAF thread earlier in the year that mentioned it, and I know I saw stuff about it before that (and before the "X" announcement).

All this means is that they are still hiring.

It's scheduled for this year for now, so we'll just have to see if they hit that or not.

Reveirg

They've been hiring for online multiplayer for a year and a half now. Chances are they just need more manpower as we get closer to release.

Besides, they'll need them for maintenance and updates once the game releases anyway.

That's not what he meant

But would they really go out of their way to hire network programmers just for miiverse integration? I'm sure Nintendo has basic middleware for that; and even if they don't wouldn't it be better for Nintendo to assist them on that instead of looking for new people to hire? Nintendo would be more experienced in this than a new face.

Have you played Xenoblade? People saying it looks like a hunter game always leave me behind confused. The trailers look exactly like Xenoblade -- even the combat mechanics seem to be the same.

In any case, defeating wild bosses already was a huge draw of Xenoblade. I wouldn't mind if they went a little more in that direction as long as they keep what Xenoblade made great -- huge and interesting areas to explore with lots of wild monsters roaming around them.

And judging by the trailers this still seems to be the case. Small, isolated areas a la Monster Hunter are nowhere to be seen.

Yeah I have, I played it to pieces actually. And the thing that got me thinking in that direction was mainly the (most likely) online tidbits I picked up from the trailers so far. The giant creatures that were being fought also helped that, though you are right that Xenoblade itself had a ton of those to begin with. But either way, I hope it will have a deep single player experience.

I already love the PSO inspired vibe this title gives off, adding online multiplayer will be the icing on the cake though I have my doubts if the community will be as awesome as the old PSO was. Can't wait for another teaser (or trailer), either will do.

Riki

I kind of hope it's more than just a 4 player party, but I really don't know how this is going to work in such a story heavy game. Will be interesting to see more!
Riki needs more!

hiring wtf

I need this game now.

A good deal of contract work is done near the end of development. Especially if they're rushing to meet a deadline.

Zalman

I would assume this game is still about a year away if they're still hiring for it. Hopefully we'll see it before the end of 2014.

You mean the fact that the trailer made this game look exactly like Phantasy Star Online 2 wasn't the big hint at online play!?

seriously its kinda obvious...especially with the 4 names on the hud

wsippel

Banned
It also appears to have customizable mechs, as seen in the second trailer where a bunch of people, actual human players I assume, are seen hanging out on a plateau, everybody with his own mech with different paint jobs. We've also seen what seems to be the same base mech (Inferno) with different color schemes and loadouts, so it's apparently not just cosmetic stuff.

As has been pointed out, this is very old.

But anyway, probably the game I'm waiting for the most. Online components don't change that even though I don't really care about it.

I do kind of slightly fear though that Iwata is trying to drive this forward as Nintendo's big online game that would make Nintendo seem to take online more seriously (in Iwata's mind at least, that is). That probably doesn't make sense though (though Nintendo itself doesn't really always make sense either). And anyway, I'm not that worried really.

I hope they still add a way for me to control my other teammates instead of just adding multiplayer so that I have to play it with other people if the AI sucks.

I'm jumping the gun a bit though,I have faith.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Online multiplayer? Sign me the fuck up. I'm always up for multiplayer JRPG shenanigans.

This better be not MMORPG or always online. This worries me.

In a Nintendo game? In what bizarre world would this occur?

emb

:\

Hopefully if true it isn't required in order to enjoy/finish single player.

At the same time though, that could be really cool if done well. I look forward to finding out more.

wsippel

Banned
This might end up being the best game ever, I hope it's not rushed at all and they take as long as they need.
They started working on this before Xenoblade even shipped, so probably around four years ago. FOUR YEARS! Even if it ships in summer 2014, it'll have the longest development cycle of any Monolith game ever. And even Xenoblade was heavily delayed because they simply didn't feel it was ready, but X is already taking almost twice as long as the delayed Xenoblade. Four years is crazy long even by AAA standards - Monolith isn't SQEX, they usually get their shit together. Their "main" team released a game every two years consistently over the last decade. This is either one of the biggest and boldest games ever, or something went horribly wrong at Monolith.

I kind of wish it had no online at all. Xenoblade was incredible and reminded me of the golden age of RPG's. The game didn't need online. I love just being immersed in a single player storyline. I hope if it's done, it's done well and doesn't detract from the storyline. I trust Monolith.

To be fair, everyone complains when a Nintendo game DOESN'T have online so this should at least shut those people up for the time being.

Pretty neat, wonder what sort of stuff they'll have. I really like the downloadable missions that Monster Hunter..so maybe they can do that with ...i guess objectives or whatever they want to call them in this game.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
We've known this.

That being said if we get a PSO like RPG consider this my most anticipated up and coming game across all platforms.

Lumyst

They started working on this before Xenoblade even shipped, so probably around four years ago. FOUR YEARS! ... Their "main" team released a game every two years consistently over the last decade. This is either one of the biggest and boldest games ever, or something went horribly wrong at Monolith.

For some reason, this hypes me for X's Iwata Asks! If they've been working on X full time for 4 years, it would make for an interesting read to see what happened in those 4 years.

They started working on this before Xenoblade even shipped, so probably around four years ago. FOUR YEARS! Even if it ships in summer 2014, it'll have the longest development cycle of any Monolith game ever. And even Xenoblade was heavily delayed because they simply didn't feel it was ready, but X is already taking almost twice as long as the delayed Xenoblade. Four years is crazy long even by AAA standards - Monolith isn't SQEX, they usually get their shit together. Their "main" team released a game every two years consistently over the last decade. This is either one of the biggest and boldest games ever, or something went horribly wrong at Monolith.
Haven't they been used a lot for other Nintendo projects? I believe SS had some assistance from Monolith for example? They also are working on a 3DS title.

I'm not convinced this is Xenoblade 2 in the traditional sense. And I'm not convinced this is just 'a mode'.

I won't be happy about it.

If this is Monster Hunter/PSO2 style and there's not a heavy single player, offline component, I'll likely skip this. I'm already playing two MMOs. I like to play games alone, too.

Zenaku

Didn't Xenoblade start development early 2007, just before Nintendo bought them? Putting Xenoblades development at around 3 1/2 years, or just under 3 if you discount the half a year or so of debugging.

ISo I've increasingly felt that X isn't the game some people expect it to be. I don't think it'll be just Xenoblade 2 on an HD system. In fact, I'm really curious as to why the haven't given it a name yet.

We haven't really seen consistent party members as opposed to just one dude running around. Hell, in some shots, your player character is either a male or female. We've seen HUD elements that indicate multiple online players. Monolith has been hiring people with network experience every couple months now.

I've hit a point where I'm getting more convinced this is more a Monster Hunter-esque online-focused game as opposed to a traditional JRPG. Maybe there'll be a story in the traditional sense, but to what degree that's presented, we don't know... The only "cutscene" we've gotten looks like maybe an intro sequence that actively seems to try avoiding showing too much of the protagonist getting into his Doll (the mech).

If all this ends up being true... how big will that shitstorm be? If you loved Xenoblade and are looking forward to 'X', is this a worthy follow-up to you? Are you excited for the possibility of it being something different, or did you want a straight-up Xenoblade 2, tons of story and character etc?

Pretty much agree with the feeling you are getting. Monolith is a damned fine dev, so I would be a lot more interested than most. It could be a big deal for Japan though if it is more MH-y as those games are the hot shit there right now. It might not be what the rest of the world would want out of the game.

OTOH, Nintendo isn't like Sony right now in that they have the MH part of their console filled out, with ACTUAL Monster Hunter. It would be an odd choice to say the least. Then again, this could just be a concern out of nowhere. If it IS a multiplayer focused game though, I don't know how I will feel. I liked Xenoblade for how it advanced the JRPG in regards to its single player.

ThaGuy

I cant think of a Nintendo game that had voice chat and game lobbys besides metroid prime hunters. This game would be perfect for both features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom