• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Cena speaks speaks on Nintendo and The Switch, gives praise

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The Joycons must look hilarious in his hands.

There's a picture out there of him holding the Switch and the whole thing looks ridiculous in his massive hands. I think he's going to have to hold out for New Nintendo Switch XL.

Cuburt

The man they hired for advertising says something positive about the product he's advertising. Colour me shocked.
Thank you for being brave enough to alert people to the truth of this malicious deception.

In more shocking news, wrestling is fake and we need to let the world know.

which is a title by a now obsolete company called SNK.

423.gif

UberTag

Shame Cody Rhodes never stuck around. He could have had this Zelda/Switch gig and reveled as the diehard Link fanboy he is.
Ah well... hope that Bullet Club leadership gig works out for him.

Musolf815

It's weird because some of it absolutely sounds like scripted PR bullshit but then some of it, like the SNK stuff, is so left field out of nowhere that they would never, ever put into official PR lines.

It seems like he could be an actual nerd and maybe just the way he talks about it is super weird and robotic? I've known people who seem normal but certain topics turn them into fact-spilling machines.

Or maybe he read up a bunch and memorized certain things for the job, and then injected some of his own personal knowledge into the PR script.

There's a Rolling Stone interview with him that was just following him around his house along the same lines, he veers from insanely robotic sounding PR to a few flickers of normal speaking throughout it.

Cuburt

Neogaf is filled with a bunch of marks. The only thing that sounds like he is saying it because of the promotion is how he was in a living room and had no idea they moved it to the middle of the desert, first of all because how do they do that with people inside not feeling the motion, and two, because him talking about being surprised about it comes out of nowhere like it was the whole point of thr promo. Everything else about being big into the NES as a kid sounds genuine.

John Cena: Earth's only Urban Champion fan
This is the real news here, no one would ever site games like that unless those were the shitty games you grew up with as a kid and loved it despite how simple it was.

Paid endorsement or not, he went more in-depth than I'm used to from these types of interviews.

Neogaf is filled with a bunch of marks. The only thing that sounds like he is saying it because of the promotion is how he was in a living room and had no idea they moved it to the middle of the desert, first of all because how do they do that with people inside not feeling the motion, and two, because him talking about being surprised about it comes out of nowhere like it was the whole point of thr promo. Everything else about being big into the NES as a kid sounds genuine.

This is the real news here, no one would ever site games like that unless those were the shitty games you grew up with as a kid and loved it despite how simple it was.

Yeah, most of it comes off as genuine. Promoting a product or not, his history playing NES games sounds completely legit.

Line_HTX

Brrrrrrrrr

Appledough!

Pretty cool that Cena got to test the Switch out. Though that location seems remote, is that even in the mountains or what?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's amazing the Wii U never got over considering it no sold to everyone

Brilliant.

I haven't watched wrestling since the Attitude era ended, but I do know that Cena is a gamer. It may be a paid endorsement, but he's a real fan of the hobby.

This sounds like copy. Did he really say all that, like that, off the dome? Hahahahaha

Not saying it sounds untrue; the wording is just so specific!

120v

"i was around for the 8 bit days, the mario, the zeldas. now it's back with switching or whatever. and the best part is when nintendo gave me the money"

As scripted and corporate his comments sounded, I have to agree with you here. His comments seem founded on a mix of some truth, and fact checking from Nintendo. Gotta give it up to the man. He's dedicated to what ever he's assigned to even if he's getting paid to do this.

I agree. This is alot of PR speak probably mixed with some truth. A typical Cena promo on RAW. I don't know how he memorizes some of that sheet week in and week out honestly. He's damn good at getting an angle across, as he does here.

I'm not gonna be seen with no PS4 in a bag slung over my shoulder.

As scripted and corporate his comments sounded, I have to agree with you here. His comments seem founded on a mix of some truth, and fact checking from Nintendo. Gotta give it up to the man. He's dedicated to what ever he's assigned to even if he's getting paid to do this.

The man's work ethic is phenomenal.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I remember when Cena first joined WWE, Chris Kohler of Wired (and GAF) interviewed him, and he did a little rap about oldskool games... include a line about Metroid so challenging it gave him hemmorhoids, and a namedrop of Mighty Bomb Jack. Guy is definitely into oldskool gaming, so it's cool to see him represent Nintendo here.

Someone needs to let Cena know that SNK is not only okay but they've made sequels to Baseball Stars! lol. Also, am I crazy or didn't Cena used to wear 1up wristbands? I couldn't find a pic of this but I swear that thugonamics-era Cena wore 1up wristbands.

Top Bottom