• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Davison of Gamespot stepping down to work on "something mobile"

IIRC he bought a Tesla Roadster after he sold WTP. I think hes pretty happy how that went.

I really doubt he bought a car like that. He once tweeted how he broke his bicycle and couldn't afford a new one.

And his replacement is this guy named Ben Howard. Never heard of him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IIRC he bought a Tesla Roadster after he sold WTP. I think hes pretty happy how that went.
At the time, he made it clear that it was the primary invested that wanted to sell, not him... so, I dunno.

But yeah, I don't think WTP is a thing anymore. Yeah, in fact, the url just redirects to the main IGN page. Which means Dana or whomever they hired to run it after the takeover must have been laid off probably. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

No... I'm afraid my opinion does not change. Seriously, why is this "fixed" nonsense still around when stuff like "cool story bro" and "tl;dr" are banned.

Anyway, why do you want Giant Bomb's treatment to change?

No... I'm afraid my opinion does not change. Seriously, why is this "fixed" nonsense still around when stuff like "cool story bro" and "tl;dr" are banned.

Anyway, why do you want Giant Bomb's treatment to change?

Faster approval and aquisition of new equipment.

JABEE

This would seem to be bad news for Giant Bomb. If an outsider takes control I wonder how they would feel about having a separate game site that covers less but the same games that GameSpot already covers. Davison understood the importance of the people and personalities at GiantBomb.

Whenever new management comes in, I fear restructuring and redundancies. Imagine GiantBomb being combined into the GameSpot umbrella to make GameSpot content while doing videos and other stuff on the side. The same thing happened when they killed CGW and EGM.

I really hope new management is someone like Davison. I don't know who. Andrew Pfister would be someone I'd trust.

This guy moves around a lot!

I said that to John and to be fair to him, he had a 10 year stint at Ziff when he first moved to the states which I was unaware of. I think more recently he's known exactly when and where to move, picking great roles along the way. I agree with comments above though, he's great on podcasts, hope he keeps doing that, even occasionally.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Saw this coming a mile away.

After CBS purchase predicted that the amount of premium content would dwindle to near zero and john would be gone within a year and was shouted down as a troll/asshole for it.

Well I was sadly right.

Fuuuu

Also to other guy buy bastion you fool and play it now.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn

After CBS purchase predicted that the amount of premium content would dwindle to near zero and john would be gone within a year and was shouted down as a troll/asshole for it.

Well I was sadly right.

Fuuuu

Nobody is shouting him down as a troll/asshole

John Davidson seems to have commitment issues or he gets bored very easily, maybe a combo of both.

Well, he's been pretty successful in his previous ventures, and probably has earned plenty of money. If the job starts to get boring you can afford to move to a different thing.

Dragon

Banned

Well I was sadly right.

Fuuuu

Maybe you were shouted at because you're extremely cynical and most people would rather discuss things with people who are positive. Either way congrats on predicting the downfall of a video game site.

Purexed

Banned
Well, he's been pretty successful in his previous ventures, and probably has earned plenty of money. If the job starts to get boring you can afford to move to a different thing.

Don't disagree with anything you said. It just seems like we have some version of this thread more often than not.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Maybe you were shouted at because you're extremely cynical and most people would rather discuss things with people who are positive. Either way congrats on predicting the downfall of a video game site.

How does one person leaving mean that the site is going to go away? I thought it was one of the if not the most visited site when it comes to gaming.

Lord he was born a rambling man
Trying to make a living and doing the best he can
When its time for leaving I hope you'll understand
That he was born a rambling man

JD is like a benevolent games press angel, swooping down on one publication after the other to inject some quality, and then getting the hell out.

Anyways, i hope Giant Bomb will be fine.

Top Bottom