• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain Official Statement: "I Will Vote No on Graham Cassidy Health Care Bill"

Read the third paragraph of his statement again.
rCGKk78.jpg

McCain ain't shit

Sure he's voting no, but it's not because the bill is horrible: he agrees with the bill.

I don't see whats wrong with that statement. He said he would support a bill that goes through proper discussion, open forums, etc.

Democrats held majorities in the House for two years and the Senate for six years during Obama's terms. But it wasn't 'rammed through' anyway; Republicans just refused to support any health care legislation Obama put up, no matter what.

Point of order: Because of Ted Kennedy's illness and the election of Cosmo Trucknutz to that seat, Dems held a 60 seat majority in the Senate for about 6months

Qblivion

Y’all a bunch of dumb fucks if you think McCain is a hero. We literally went through this last time. He says in his statement he would support this type of legislation if it went through proper debate process.

He still literally wants poor people dead. Quit fucking praising him.

Xe4

Banned
There's no way Collins will vote for this. She's going through the motions of considering it.
Yeah Murkowski is more likely (though still very unlikely). Collins voting for this would be the end of her life as a politician. She knows this, and isn't stupid.

RPGCrazied

That would be something to see if we end up with single payer because how awful these bills are.

And Trump saying he wants beautiful healthcare. lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good that he's voting no

Very not good that his reasons are just "it's not "by the book" enough" (+ the lies about Obamacare) and not, say, "this bill is just plain evil".

So yeah, fuck this guy. And SMH @ people calling him a "hero", that's some low-ass bar for heroism you got there guys

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
No one should be legitimately voting for this bill. It has not been through the appropriate processes. This affects millions of people and a large chunk 1/5-1/6 of the US economy. Such important issues require extensive debate, testing and discussion. It has not remotely received this, so no one should in good conscience vote for this. Regardless of beliefs.

McCain is in the right to vote no, the real issue is that the bar is set so low that this is an unexpected step.

McCain isn't the hero we wanted but he is the hero we needed. I'll take it if this stops this bill from passing.

I don't trust his ass at all though.

JettDash

Y’all a bunch of dumb fucks if you think McCain is a hero. We literally went through this last time. He says in his statement he would support this type of legislation if it went through proper debate process.

Clearly he doesn't want it that bad.

I'll take him fucking over the GOP twice on this. That's about as good as Republican Senator gets these days.

BigDug13

Read the third paragraph of his statement again.
rCGKk78.jpg

McCain ain't shit

Sure he's voting no, but it's not because the bill is horrible: he agrees with the bill.

He's being his typical self of coming up with a reason that doesn't directly throw his colleagues under the bus for being shitty. He gently throws them under the bus for discarding procedure for deadlines.

My point is that the reasons he SAYS he's voting for something might not be accurate.

Either way it doesn't matter as long as he votes no.

He's against it because it's obviously partisan bullshit that hasn't been properly discussed or changed. You don't think he knows this bill would be torn to shreds if the Dems had any say?

GhaleonEB

I kept alternating between "fuck yeah" and "that's total bullshit" when reading his statement. He'd support throwing tens of millions off their health insurance, like this bill? But supports a bi-partisan process which by definition won't do that? Obamacare was rammed through the Senate? They spend ages on it doing the exact process McCain is now asking for! It was a GOP strategy and political directive to kill it.

But at least he's voting no.

mnannola

https://apnews.com/41a6c9068d454a15a47ec728fa51a4fc

Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine says she's ”leaning against" a Republican proposal to eliminate the Affordable Care Act, despite new pressure from her state's GOP governor.

Sen. Rand Paul says despite President Donald Trump's attacks on him for opposing the new GOP health care bill, the measure is a ”fake" and he won't support it.

Looks like Rand is a solid No, and Collins is leaning No. This thing is pretty much dead. As long as Rand doesn't do a 180 this weekend.

Makonero

I kept alternating between "fuck yeah" and "that's total bullshit" when reading his statement. He'd support throwing tens of millions off their health insurance, like this bill? But supports a bi-partisan process which by definition won't do that? Obamacare was rammed through the Senate? They spend ages on it doing the exact process McCain is now asking for! It was a GOP strategy and political directive to kill it.

At the end of the day, that's the same conclusion I came to. As an Arizona resident, I called him to advocate voting no and I just called to thank him and support his voting no.

Also: Fuck Jeff Flake.

iammeiam

I don't have to agree with McCain on the specifics to at least be grateful he's got as little tolerance for the backdoor bullshit the GOP is trying to pull as anyone.

We don't agree. I wouldn't have voted for him, and the policies and beliefs he represents are not, for the most part, mine. But given the crazy sideshow disaster that politics in the Trump era have turned into, I can at least respect the man for taking a stand and insisting that legislation should be passed in keeping with the spirit of the way the process was designed instead of exploiting loopholes to backdoor everything.

Now that he's out there as a firm no, I'll be curious to see if Collins and Murkowski follow suit before the weekend. Just kill the thing now; I'm sure the GOP can fit one more last best hope at destroying healthcare in the first half of next week.

I vaguely read that part as 'there is no way a bill going through the proper hearings/vetting would look anything like this monstrosity, but here's a tiny bone to throw towards my good friend Lindsay.'

kaskade

It’s still super shitty that he wants to throw people off healthcare, but at least he’s voting no on this and wants a “regular process”. I don’t see how Dems or the GOP will ever agree on it. No one wants the shitty healthcare plan except republics. And that’s only because they’ve been gaslighting the country that it’s the worst thing ever. Just give it up.

Trouble

Banned
https://apnews.com/41a6c9068d454a15a47ec728fa51a4fc

Looks like Rand is a solid No, and Collins is leaning No. This thing is pretty much dead. As long as Rand doesn't do a 180 this weekend.

Don't count on Rand. He's a 'hard no' until they toss in an amendment to make him happy, then he's a yes.

Don't they also need 60 votes after this month, hence the whole focus on September 30th? They know it's now or never.

Unless McConnell nukes the filibuster, which he will in a heartbeat if he actually has the votes to pass something with 50+Pence.

Tobor

This is really an ace move from McCain, guys.

Him coming out early takes the pressure off Murkowski and Collins. Neither one has to be the deciding vote now.

I got to hand it to the old SOB, he’s putting together a fantastic last stand.

Xe4

Banned
I don't give a fuck what reason he has for voting no. It could be that the bill doesn't contain a fee blowjobs ammendment. A no is a no.

I'm just happy this shit bill is one step closer to death.

Him coming out early takes the pressure off Murkowski and Collins. Neither one has to be the deciding vote now.

I think it's the other way around. It's so he doesn't have to be the deciding vote. If enough people come out as soft no's now, noone has to be a hard no later.

GhaleonEB

At the end of the day, that's the same conclusion I came to. As an Arizona resident, I called him to advocate voting no and I just called to thank him and support his voting no.

Also: Fuck Jeff Flake.

Thank you for doing so. I'm in Oregon so my local and state representatives were already supportive, so I felt kinda helpless to watch this unfold.

Don't they also need 60 votes after this month, hence the whole focus on September 30th? They know it's now or never.

Yep, and the Koch brothers won't give them that $400 million war chest, so it'll go to crazier people and then there will be Trump fanatics and I would doubt that any of them would rally behind other GOP members. Meanwhile, Democrats will be energized by whatever dumb shit Trump does.

2018 will, hopefully, be a bloodbath.

Blader

Collins and Murkowski were the first ones to oppose the last healthcare bill!

Lunar15

Does McCain actually disagree with eliminating obamacare? Of course not! He's no real ally to that cause.

However, it should come as a red flag to republicans that people like Graham and Cassidy are employing outrageously shady tactics and motives to get their stuff through office. McCain calling that out, at the very least, isn't a horrible thing. It's total bullshit in the end, but we need to get people saying "huh, maybe these republicans don't represent ANYONE'S values?"

There's no true dialogue going on in congress. Not with people like that. This shit is corrupt as all hell and people need to get angrier.

When is the next time they can bring this shit up again after September 30?

If it dies this month, its dead until 2019 likely.

The GOP isn't going to want to fuck with healthcare with mid-terms around the corner.

Depending on how the Senate and House shakes out after 2018 - it'll tell you what kind of chances repeal and replace has.

i.e. if the House flips, it's not happening. If the Dems make any gains in the Senate, it remains a long shot.

If the GOP makes gains in 2018? Yeah, ACA's back on the menu after mid-terms.

3rdman

At the very least, it's worth praising the wish to return to normal. Under normal business, this bill would have gone to committee, got a CBO score, have amendments, debate, etc...this bill if it came to the floor would NEVER look the way it does now by the mere act of negotiation and compromise.

It's perhaps small comfort but I'll take it!

Unless McConnell nukes the filibuster, which he will in a heartbeat if he actually has the votes to pass something with 50+Pence.

Seems like a dumb thing to do. Wouldn't that just give dems an opening to pass single payer with 50 votes as soon as they have a majority?

Ourobolus

Banned
Let's not start cumming over McCain, guys. Yeah, it's good that he's voting no, but his reasoning is basically "I totally agree with this shitty bill, but let's get the Dems to agree that they like this shitty bill too, while I sit here and spout more BS about the ACA."

JettDash

Don't count on Rand. He's a 'hard no' until they toss in an amendment to make him happy, then he's a yes.

What could they toss him to make him a yes without pushing Lisa Murkoswi away?

I doubt it. He knows the filibuster benefits Republicans more than Democrats.

Top Bottom