• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
Why not, he's just going to parrot whatever JonTron says.

870.gif

Nah the birds one of the good ones

"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

I just wanna take a moment and really appreciate this. It gets hard fighting the good fight with the same arguments time after time, because this train has no stops, but this is incredibly lucid and concise.

Prelude.

Then maybe Ethan shouldn't be participating in these kinds of discussions and debates if he will only call out people he doesn't like.
Why not? He didn't sign a contract that states that since he called out a racist he has to call out every single racist person he finds. Tackling controversial topics is just another means of bringing in the clicks, but in the end he's just a comedian, not the internet police that has to denounce the wrongs of the internet as a whole.

Loyalty is not fealty.
It's not about loyalty, it's just being human. Do you really need him to come out and say "Hey guys, my friend JonTron said that non-whites are the worst, so I think he is a racist. I am also not racist btw."
As long as he doesn't justify what he said with bullshit like "words taken out of context" or "the lying media" it's completely fine if he remains silent about it.

It's not about loyalty, it's just being human. Do you really need him to come out and say "Hey guys, my friend JonTron said that non-whites are the worst, so I think he is a racist. I am also not racist btw."
Why is this such a bad or unreasonable thing to do?

Ethan makes a living on the back of YouTube drama, but conveniently not the drama of his friends.

Why not? He didn't sign a contract that states that since he called out a racist he has to call out every single racist person he finds. Tackling controversial topics is just another means of bringing in the clicks, but in the end he's just a comedian, not the internet police that has to denounce the wrongs of the internet as a whole.

As long as he doesn't justify what he said with bullshit like "words taken out of context" or "the lying media" it's completely fine if he remains silent about it.

silence in the face of abject racism is an act of condoning said racism... Silence is useless, silence bred Gamergate, silence is lazy and cowardly.

"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

Beautiful.

"No name streamer"? Destiny is a former SC2 pro and one of the first streamers to make it his profession.

i apologize...i never heard of him so i found it weird that jontron debated some streamer. not saying Jon is better or deserves better than him, but it's just weird he debated with a low key guy and had this blow up in his face. Did he think it would be easy?

So why even go on Destiny's stream if he knows he sucks at debating and felt unprepared. No one made him do it, he chose to, and he fell on his face. Nothing he said can be misconstrued when he kept banging on the same bullshit for nearly an hour and a half.

Get bent, Jon.

I've never heard of this, can I get a starting point for research?

For reading material, read W.E.B Du Bois, James Baldwin, and Theodore Allen. If you want to pass an hour or two with some good ol' fashioned truth bombs, you can also watch Tim Wise's lectures on YouTube (although as I said before, the historical component is mainly used to frame modern anti-racist thinking).

As an addendum to what Nepenthe himself said, Theodore Allen often summarizes and refers back to Du Bois and Baldwin as he has the most recent writings of the three. It might be easier to start with him. Many of their ideas relate to the early writings of Marx and Engel as well so that might be of interest as well.

Ethan makes a living on the back of YouTube drama, but conveniently not the drama of his friends.

The whole reason anyone knows who Ethan is comes from his willingness & ability to shit all over stupid people on YouTube.

Jafari is, as of right now, one of the single dumbest people with a channel on the platform, and has gotten way more attention for that stupidity than almost any of Ethan's prior targets.

So yeah, it's weird that dude has said nothing. This is literally his wheelhouse.

Prelude.

Why is this such a bad or unreasonable thing to do?

silence in the face of abject racism is an act of condoning said racism... Silence is useless, silence bred Gamergate, silence is lazy and cowardly.
I am simply explaining why it's not such a weird thing that he called out Joey Salads multiple times, but not JonTron (yet), I am not saying what's the right thing to do in these situations.
But stop idolizing these people, anyway. If you can't understand why they're not jumping at the throat of someone that helped them go through difficult times you might be forgetting that they're just human beings like everyone else.

MKIL65

Nothing he said can be misconstrued when he kept banging on the same bullshit for nearly an hour and a half.

Well put. This is exactly why he won't acknowledge that he's wrong.

And why posts like ''Just talk to them...'' Makes me sigh.

He's even had almost a week to reflect on what he said...

He's a lost cause.

Bossking

Banned
Well put. This is exactly why he won't acknowledge that he's wrong.

And why posts like ''Just talk to them...'' Makes me sigh.

He's even had almost a week to reflect on what he said...

He's a lost cause.

But he'd LOVE to be proven wrong, though.

I am simply explaining why it's not such a weird thing that he called out Joey Salads multiple times, but not JonTron (yet), I am not saying what's the right thing to do in these situations.
But stop idolizing these people, anyway. If you can't understand why they're not jumping at the throat of someone that helped them go through difficult times you might be forgetting that they're just human beings like everyone else.

I don't idolize them...

If you're not defending them then what's your point.

Lol at playing the you lack empathy card on folks wanting people to hold racists accountable though. I get why he won't doesn't make it ok and I'm not dehumanizing him by saying so lol

Armaros

Could you explain me this quote? in the sense that if the presidents have abused or people racism or what was johnson implying with it

For reference, this was in the middle of the Civil Rights movement and the signing for the Civip Rights Act. Johnson was talking about how politicans pit poor white people against poor minorties as holding them down in order to excuse cutting stuff for ALL poor people and how people go along with it because it hits poor minorties the hardest'

The whole reason anyone knows who Ethan is comes from his willingness & ability to shit all over stupid people on YouTube.

Jafari is, as of right now, one of the single dumbest people with a channel on the platform, and has gotten way more attention for that stupidity than almost any of Ethan's prior targets.

So yeah, it's weird that dude has said nothing. This is literally his wheelhouse.

H3H3 is basically Bing at the end of Fifteen Million Merits right now.

Slayven

Straight fire

Kyzer

Banned
For reading material, read W.E.B Du Bois, James Baldwin, and Theodore Allen. If you want to pass an hour or two with some good ol' fashioned truth bombs, you can also watch Tim Wise's lectures on YouTube (although as I said before, the historical component is mainly used to frame modern anti-racist thinking).

As an addendum to what Nepenthe himself said, Theodore Allen often summarizes and refers back to Du Bois and Baldwin as he has the most recent writings of the three. It might be easier to start with him. Many of their ideas relate to the early writings of Marx and Engel as well so that might be of interest as well.

Thanks

Dude should learn how to actually craft an effective argument. Also probably learn that if you're trying to convince people of a thing, using disputed sources isn't the way to go.
Why should he?

People obsess over personalities not substance.

The audience must demand better to receive better.

Prelude.

I don't idolize them...

If you're not defending them then what's your point.

Lol at playing the you lack empathy card on folks wanting people to hold racists accountable though. I get why he won't doesn't make it ok and I'm not dehumanizing him by saying so lol
You're missing the point and I'm not only talking to you. I don't care if it's right or not, but people shouldn't act surprised if they avoid the issue, it's perfectly clear why they're doing it.

You're missing the point and I'm not only talking to you. I don't care if it's right or not, but people shouldn't act surprised if they avoid the issue, it's perfectly clear why they're doing it.

I imagine not many are actually surprised... being critical of a thing not happening is not being surprised it is not happening.

Amazing post.

sibarraz

Banned
For reference, this was in the middle of the Civil Rights movement and the signing for the Civip Rights Act. Johnson was talking about how politicans pit poor white people against poor minorties as holding them down in order to excuse cutting stuff for ALL poor people and how people go along with it because it hits poor minorties the hardest'

ugh, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification

This can't honestly be quoted enough. This post is simply wonderful... Thank you!

If neogaf had a post of the week I'd nominate this.

Beautifully put.

Girl you ain't never lied.

I'm not idolising anyone, *especially* not Ethan. It's just very obvious that he ignores the drama of his friends and there is nothing wrong with calling that out

Fucking aye!

Speechless. One of the best things I've ever read.

To be fair, he's gained more subs than he has gained this entire month. It has me worried that either enough people bought into this video, or he's gaining a new audience.
I would assume the later, he's gaining an audience of gamer gaters, alt-righters, racists and conspiracy theorists. The comments on that video are full of people talking about a "MSM witch hunt", that "white pride and protection of the white race isn't racism", and "the Jews control everything'

OzzieTF

Banned

That was really powerful.
As a immigrant, caucasian, I really fear my kids losing or not absorbing my culture of origin ( they are very young) to feel accepted. Culture blending is natural and important, but I hope I can pass to them part of my culture as well.

joe2187

Banned
Anyone have a transcript?

I'd rather not give the guy the views.

"I wasnt prepared to do a debate...my words were taken out of context and I suck at debates so what Im trying to say is the FAKE NEWS! is trying to make me look bad and it's all the HATERS who cant understand that Im not responsible for the things I say........

Sad"

ekgrey

Piling on with the quoting because this post should be read by as many people as possible. Also, thanks for the reading suggestions. And Tim Wise. Never heard this guy before, somehow.

popokarimu

Neo Member

Thank you for this post, very well said and spot on.

http://kotaku.com/youtuber-jontron-tries-to-clarify-his-controversial-vie-1793419660

Kotaku's summary of this video.

In an effort to clarify statements like “if they immigrate they need to integrate, but also we don’t need immigrants from incompatible places,” and “I don’t think a pure society is possible, but in terms of a demographic majority, I don’t know that a nation can exist without one,” the YouTuber tried to lay out his views in a more prepared and ordered manner, away from the “pressure” of his almost two hour debate on Bonnell’s stream.

“I was trying to speak to the increasing tribalization of our culture,” said Jafari, and he believes the remarks brought up offhand late at night on a “random” Twitch stream viewed by tens of thousands of people didn’t accurately reflect this.

Specifically, he feels that the national discourse is too racialized, and that double-standards prevent people from recognizing “discrimination” against white people. “Discrimination certainly exists but I do believe it goes all ways,” he said. As evidence of this, Jafari pointed to a sketch by Samantha Bee, where she jokingly blames white people for Trump’s election. “I suppose you could guess the reaction if Samantha Bee said black people ruined America for voting overwhelmingly for Barack Obama, which they did both times,” he said. As far as Jafari is concerned, the “same standard” should apply in both examples.

Despite the perception by some that Jafari wants some form of racial segregation after talking about how “white people are aggressed against in their own nations,” the YouTuber says that he doesn’t think that white Americans are superior, and admitted the nation’s dark history regarding white supremacy. “We as a country have had a terrible history of dealing with race...from slavery to Jim Crow to even the Irish,” he said. At the same time, Jafari believes that people ignore “uncomfortable statistic” that paint certain races in a bad light, like his unsubstantiated claim that wealthy black Americans commit more crimes than poor whites. Only whites get criticized for thinking in negative “racial categories,” he seems to feel.

The video is no doubt an attempt to quell the fears, frustration, or confusion of some fans who said his remarks about “demographic enclaves” and “immigration” have made them feel uncomfortable about supporting his channel going forward.

Even when he gets the respectful approach (and Kotaku was quite umm kind here) he still is blatantly racist as fuck lol.

NotLiquid

Wait what? I remember TB saying he was a leftist, has he said or did something otherwise that me and others aren't aware of?

He made two audio logs in response to the drama which basically amounted to "I don't agree with Jon, but have you considered that, uh, maybe the media is bad????"

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so sick of these youtubers trying to blame "the media" whenever they get called out on their shit. No one is being unfair by reporting things you literally said and did in public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom