• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people find it so hard to accept the completely reasonable point of view that non-white migrants are contaminating the American European white gene pool and blacks are genetically predisposed to commit crimes. Some people have no empathy, right?
Why can't you be understanding of his blatant white nationalism and overt racism. When he says blacks are genetically predisposed to commit more crimes can't you see where he's coming from?

I personally think that this is a huge over reaction. The difference between the left and right is literally just a difference of priorities nowadays. He feels that our identity as a country is being threatened and that everyone should be proud to be American, and that generalizations towards any race are messed up. He also doesn't really understand the use of labels and doesn't know much about gender identity and those kinds of things or at least doesn't understand. These are things that aren't very relateable to him and to many Americans. Don't attack him for not understanding. He thinks he already understands as that's the kind of guy he is, he just drew a different conclusion from some people. He probably will never understand a more liberal mindset so don't waste any time.

If he says any racist or xenophobic shit in this day and age it can usually be boiled down to, "my lifestyle is threatened". This isn't that radical of a response to all of the problems facing America, I feel. He's not going around committing crime he's just scared.

So let the guy stew. I have gotten way more complacent when it comes to ideologies in these trying times - many people have polarized completely. If someone has rather left or right views I try and be understanding.

If JonTron offended you, that's fine. But try and understand where he's coming from. Not as an excuse, but rather an explanation.
"He feels that our identity as a country is being threatened"
Specifically a white country. Good luck defending that seriously.

You know you're only making the right to look even worse when you paint his racist statements as just being a different political idealogy, right? Have you honestly read and heard all his statements from his twtter and the Destiny debate?

I personally think that this is a huge over reaction. The difference between the left and right is literally just a difference of priorities nowadays. He feels that our identity as a country is being threatened and that everyone should be proud to be American, and that generalizations towards any race are messed up. He also doesn't really understand the use of labels and doesn't know much about gender identity and those kinds of things or at least doesn't understand. These are things that aren't very relateable to him and to many Americans. Don't attack him for not understanding. He thinks he already understands as that's the kind of guy he is, he just drew a different conclusion from some people. He probably will never understand a more liberal mindset so don't waste any time.

If he says any racist or xenophobic shit in this day and age it can usually be boiled down to, "my lifestyle is threatened". This isn't that radical of a response to all of the problems facing America, I feel. He's not going around committing crime he's just scared.

So let the guy stew. I have gotten way more complacent when it comes to ideologies in these trying times - many people have polarized completely. If someone has rather left or right views I try and be understanding.

If JonTron offended you, that's fine. But try and understand where he's coming from. Not as an excuse, but rather an explanation.

He literally said immigrants dilute the gene pool and black people have a crime gene....

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So is this shitty gamer attitude present elsewhere? Like comic books are just as nerdy right? Some music genre of some sort? Or are gamers just the shittiest of the bunch?

There's a lot of comic fans that suuuuuuuck.

Just look at anytime any non-white non-male character gets any sort of spotlight and see all the horrible ooze out.

Our just check /r/comicbooks.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Why are you even hear posting a defense for what he stated if you dont even know why he made this response video over statements he made previously?

Because my naive little mind chose to have faith that the goofy Jack Black of youtube wasn't the way he was.

Just watched that interview.

Woof.

GAF, I apologize for defending this dude. I just assumed it was like an offhanded comment or something.

Woof.

Busaiku

He feels that our identity as a country is being threatened and that everyone should be proud to be American, and that generalizations towards any race are messed up.
By stating the richest black people commit more crimes than the poorest white people.

I want to point out that when someone did try to understand where Jon Tron's nonsense came from and honestly tell him why the things he said were untrue/weren't based in reality, he just nervously giggled a lot and pointed out that Hillary Clinton was projected to win the US Election. And then he did this shit in the OP.
Yeah. It's not like Jon has been dogpiled on since in the beginning. Destiny actively tried to educate him in their debate but Jon wasn't interested at all

Silvard

Someone please tell me this is some sort of meme or copy pasta and someone didn't just try to really argue this.

Aquillion

Because my naive little mind chose to have faith that the goofy Jack Black of youtube wasn't the way he was.

Woof.

GAF, I apologize for defending this dude. I just assumed it was like an offhanded comment or something.

Woof.
It's fine. I know the instinct is to assume that someone you've been watching is sane and reasonable (especially since people like him can often come across as sane and reasonable as long as their hot-button issues don't come up.)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I spoke to a real black man today and asked him if Somalia has a police force. He claimed he had no idea since he has never been in Somalia. After pressing the matter further he just slowly walked away, shaking his head. Therefore I conclude that Mr.Tron is not a racist.

Okay, I listened to this thing today. I seriously don't understand what he is even trying to say with this

modsbox

Any Youtube experts out there know if there is a way to see the rate at which a given YouTube account was accumulating views historically?

My guess is that his non-apology apology is purely due to his views falling off a cliff, hitting him hard in the pocketbook.

It would be really interesting to see the before an after of his YouTube account, but I don't know of a way to to do this.

Bastables

What the hell is cultural marxism?

A "theory" that the Frankfurt school, were actually engaged in a plan to destroy/corrode western civilisation from within.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School#Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theory

It's predicated on the original NAZI hate concept of Kulturbolschewismus where regressive, Jewish art, and thinking (Social theories on any sort of empathy) destroyed the aryan race from within.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Bolshevism

Because Marx was a Jew, and was trying to destroy "western capitalism" from within.....

Any one that uses the terms= political correctness, Cultural Marxism, Regressive left. You know which dark fetid pool they've been immersing their mind in or drawing from.

For racists pretty much all the little code words are pointing to the Jews.... actually making me a little ill type this all out, it's hatefilled crazy town on the alt-right/GG/anti fem ect ect.

I mean really jewish conspiracy theories in the 21 century, all over the internet and coded..

So is this shitty gamer attitude present elsewhere? Like comic books are just as nerdy right? Some music genre of some sort? Or are gamers just the shittiest of the bunch?
There are terrible people everywhere, but gaming seems to be a breeding ground for them because of constant reinforcement and companies refusing to step up. Just look at some chats in online games and what is going on there. It shouldn't be acceptable, but for some reason major billion dollar companies are turning a blind eye to people harassing others on a platform that is supposed to be for enjoyment of all players.

Plus gaming has evolved into this thing where anyone can now start a Youtube or Twitch channel and gain a pretty large audience. So while other hobbies have terrible people also, they are mostly not in a position to broadcast that to millions of people.

Any Youtube experts out there know if there is a way to see the rate at which a given YouTube account was accumulating views historically?

My guess is that his non-apology apology is purely due to his views falling off a cliff, hitting him hard in the pocketbook.

It would be really interesting to see the before an after of his YouTube account, but I don't know of a way to to do this.
Other than people screencapping view counts or subscriber counts there is no way for us to see that. Only the channel owner can see their analytics.

MechaX

Was not aware of that one. Gonna pump the brakes on my defense real quick. Can I get a sauce on that?

For what purpose would one ever say "The minorities are threatening the gene pool," actually give a shit about this "danger," and not have some racist ideologies?

besada

Banned

Woof.

Woof.

Why would you come in and start defending someone when you had no idea what the person had said? Where does that impulse come from? I've banned a half dozen people for defending what is clearly explicit racism in this thread, in part because they did exactly what you just did.

Can you explain to me the logic in making your initial post if you didn't understand what was being discussed?

stephen08

Woof.

Woof.

It's all good. I understand the impulse to assume the best of someone who you either don't know or have positive inclinations towards.

Learn from this, though. When you're defending someone you stand up for their beliefs. If you had just left the thread and not done the due-diligence a lot of people would assume you are racist or think that racism is excusable.

Aquillion

Yeah. It's not like Jon has been dogpiled on since in the beginning. Destiny actively tried to educate him in their debate but Jon wasn't interested at all

Although I disagreed with the rest of Mathaou's post, I think this part hit the nail on the head:

He thinks he already understands as that's the kind of guy he is

A lot of the recent wave of YouTube white supremacists are hardcore "rationalist" types used to considering themselves the smartest person in the room. And this makes them feel like they have race All Figured Out (especially when combined with a libertarian / pro-capitalist mindset that wants to argue that everything is fair and therefore if someone is doing poorly it's their own fault.)

These people aren't going to be willing to listen to corrections or advice.

In fact, many of their buzzwords and memes are basically explanations for why they shouldn't listen to anyone else (the core defense of white supremacism always boils down to "everyone really agrees with me, they're just pretending otherwise." Political correctness, virtue signalling, SJW, etc - all those dumb memes are just complicated ways of saying "you know I'm right and my race is naturally superior, you're just pretending otherwise to rack up internet points." Insinuating that the opposition is not just wrong but knowingly wrong allows them to avoid confronting any of their points.

He basically said black people, no matter their economic status, are predisposed to committing crime. Don't defend this stupid ass line of thinking.

Bottom line, for all of this, is just because they're on youtube doesn't mean they can't be idiots. We are in an age where any one can speak to massive amounts of people but that doesn't stop them from saying stupid shit.

Sounds like a terrible solution to me. Here's an image I downloaded from 8chan during Gamergate's height:

(Bonus points if you noticed that the hand clasping is based of anti-Semitic propaganda images.)

"Issues" within the gaming sphere - which are really just people being upset with trivial things - are tied to conspiracy theories and used to promote right wing ideas. Why didn't your game get a perfect score? Because the feminists are controlling the media, and oppressed men need to fight back.

The fact that gaming's demographic was a boy's club and has now widened has left a whole bunch of those anchors that alt right folks can cling to and use to spread their ideas. That's a problem in gaming culture, and we're not going to solve it by ignoring the issues in the culture, especially because people hoping to spread hatred aren't going to ignore them. It's important keep them framed within gaming culture.

That's very fair, I can't really argue with what you said. I don't deny there's a problem with a large part of the gaming community and there's undoubtedly too much in how "gamers" behave that is fucking atrocious. I would personally try to disassociate these awful people involved in this actions with the industry itself, like instead of thinking how gamers are idiots I'd like to focus on how idiotic the behavior of some gamers is. Not destroy the community, but try to evolve it. Focus on the bad actions and not in the demographic behind them mainly because I believe talking about this issues in broader terms leads to pushback, leads to people being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian, leads to people supporting a belligerent asshole like Jon thanks to an echo chamber based proxy war.

I realize this might sound like a pipe dream, but it's frustrating seeing people taking sides just for the sake of taking a side, without fully realizing what they are supporting.

I have never understand defending someone without actually looking into what they said. I mean I wouldn't even do that for people I'm close with.

Breads

Banned

The fuck did I just read. That was neither an excuse or an explanation. You literally rewrote history. Either you don't know what his views are or you selectively left EVERYTHING that was too inconvenient to defend. We don't need this bullshit sanitization you gave of who he is and what he thinks of other people. After years of the benifit of the doubt we are now taking him at face value for the things he said and are reacting accordingly. Why the fuck do we owe him "understanding" when he clearly doesn't extend it to us. He holds terrible views. This makes him a terrible person. Who cares if he isn't committing crimes himself. Hiter didn't personally kill anyone himself afaik and yet no one ever argued whether or not we should hold him accountable for his views. Think about why that is.

Our identity is that of a collection of immigrants... full stop. His version of a white America is blasphemy. He is the abberation and his views are as harmful as they are stupid. Millions look up to him. He is not a victim here. He is the one who let his terrible views be known.

Is that really Matt Lees? I thought it looked like him. Was he involved in some Gamergate stuff?
He was anti-GG and came out in favor of feminism and how he changed from someone like them when he was in Uni. The videos are still up on YT. Also called out others which gave him of the label of 'SJW' from gators.

What's sad to me is that views like this typically are handed down to you from your family or parents, friends, etc. I don't know how old this kid is, but he's clearly at an age where his own views are still forming outside of those who influence him, as he clearly fucked up and is slowing seeing that. It just happens too often with this age group for me to blame him, 100%. Shitty upbringing can be unfair. Hopefully he can undo some of the damage his words have done.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Why would you come in and start defending someone when you had no idea what the person had said? Where does that impulse come from? I've banned a half dozen people for defending what is clearly explicit racism in this thread, in part because they did exactly what you just did.

Can you explain to me the logic in making your initial post if you didn't understand what was being discussed?

The logic behind it was part of my own moderate political ideology and general attitudes towards intolerance from both the left and the right.

In the world I lived in before I watched that video I thought it was just a guy who was scared and worried for the future of our country.

Now I take my statement back. Ignore my comments as I am in the wrong here. The prize goes to the more informed and I most definitely am not it.

It's all good. I understand the impulse to assume the best of someone who you either don't know or have positive inclinations towards.

Learn from this, though. When you're defending someone you stand up for their beliefs. If you had just left the thread and not done the due-diligence a lot of people would assume you are racist or think that racism is excusable.

I appreciate people like you. Thanks for understanding.

BaasRed

Banned
Can't wait for the triple down and more hot takes.

Jon could have ended this much earlier but now he is fueling the fire. I give up on him.

Woof.

Woof.
You just confirm for me that a ton of these defenders just come in and blindly support fuckers like JT without even knowing what was said, screeching "BOTH SIDES" and "INTOLERANT LEFT, LET -insert fuckboi here- SPEAK THEIR MIND!". Atleast you course corrected unlike the other 'fans' who double down.

Like oh fuck context matters? Well gee, I guess it did.

R0ckman

There are terrible people everywhere, but gaming seems to be a breeding ground for them because of constant reinforcement and companies refusing to step up. Just look at some chats in online games and what is going on there. It shouldn't be acceptable, but for some reason major billion dollar companies are turning a blind eye to people harassing others on a platform that is supposed to be for enjoyment of all players.

Plus gaming has evolved into this thing where anyone can now start a Youtube or Twitch channel and gain a pretty large audience. So while other hobbies have terrible people also, they are mostly not in a position to broadcast that to millions of people.

A thing I notice is that you are ALSO a bad guy if you agressively stand up to these guys in chats. Was in a Overwatch match last year and stopped a guy from spewing his garbage and the bystanders lumped us in the same basket. Moderates are absolutely insane.

What's sad to me is that views like this typically are handed down to you from your family or parents, friends, etc. I don't know how old this kid is, but he's clearly at an age where his own views are still forming outside of those who influence him, as he clearly fucked up and is slowing seeing that. It just happens too often with this age group for me to blame him, 100%. Shitty upbringing can be unfair. Hopefully he can undo some of the damage his words have done.
Well Jon is 26 and I feel by mid 20's you should have already formed your own ideas and values pretty clearly by this point separated from those people that could influence him.

You actually aren't on the second rung, because the second rung is actually a conservative boogeyman.

Oh I know :D
A "theory" that the Frankfurt school, were actually engaged in a plan to destroy/corrode western civilisation from within.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School#Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theory

It's predicated on the original NAZI hate concept of Kulturbolschewismus where regressive, Jewish art, and thinking (Social theories on any sort of empathy) destroyed the aryan race from within.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Bolshevism

Because Marx was a Jew, and was trying to destroy "western capitalism" from within.....

Any one that uses the terms= political correctness, Cultural Marxism, Regressive left. You know which dark fetid pool they've been immersing their mind in or drawing from.

For racists pretty much all the little code words are pointing to the Jews.... actually making me a little ill type this all out, it's hatefilled crazy town on the alt-right/GG/anti fem ect ect.

I mean really jewish conspiracy theories in the 21 century, all over the internet and coded..

Yep!

Arkage

Banned

You're making way too many broad connections between completely separate terms. Political correctness is not cultural marxism which is not the regressive left. These terms are not interchangeable, nor originate from the same places, nor have the same merits. I'd agree Cultural Marxism is conspiracy theory land. Critiques of overreaching political correctness, and critiques of the (regressive/illiberal) left's increasing desire to deplatform and protest against even moderate speakers, let alone conservative ones, are both worth discussion.

Regardless, JonTron is absolute shit at discussing any of these things without somehow faceplanting into racist quotes that would even make Trump think twice.

stephen08

He's 26, the son of an Iranian immigrant, and makes his living by being an internet personality...

Also, did you really get the sense that he was remorseful from that video?

To me it sounded like his views haven't changed at all and he was unprepared, argued his points poorly, and that he maybe should've kept his politics out of the public eye.

Nothing has indicated to me that he is sorry or re-evaluating his views.

SkylineRKR

shitheads are everywhere.. but its just odd that we've got quite a few streamers being exposed within a short timespan. This guy, Boogie, Pew..

But with Trump, and right wing politics making moves everywhere it might not be that surprising really.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
You just confirm for me that a ton of these defenders just come in and blindly support fuckers like JT without even knowing what was said, screeching "BOTH SIDES" and "INTOLERANT LEFT, LET -insert fuckboi here- SPEAK THEIR MIND!". Atleast you course corrected unlike the other 'fans' who double down.

I'm fairly left myself I just hate people on the left bashing the right because they have different things they think are important. Those things may be short sighted, but pointing that out won't do anything towards changing their mind so I try and just end left-bashing or right-bashing if I see it.

Sometimes that right-bashing turns out to be justified.

Sometimes one of your favorite youtubers is a racist.

Sometimes you make an ass of yourself online.

All in a days work.

hlgGkKh.gif

In my ideal future all communication is done with gifs. Lol.

joe2187

Banned
The logic behind it was part of my own moderate political ideology and general attitudes towards intolerance from both the left and the right.

In the world I lived in before I watched that video I thought it was just a guy who was scared and worried for the future of our country.

hlgGkKh.gif

timshundo

I posted that I was annoyed at the whitewashing in Ghost In The Shell and I got told that I'm actually helping Trump stay in office, white people get blackwashed out of movies, and that I should kill myself.

This is the current state we're in.

I'm amazed at how this whole thing is transcending the video game community.

I have people who aren't involved with video games at all asking me who this idiot is.

BlackJace

Now I take my statement back. Ignore my comments as I am in the wrong here. The prize goes to the more informed and I most definitely am not it.

I appreciate people like you. Thanks for understanding.

Your actions are why the struggle has, will, and always will be real.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I saw this on Reddit, too.

Seems like a lot of people just auto-go on the defensive anytime someone gets heat for saying something fucked up, so they defend JonTron, someone tells them what he said and they backtrack. It becomes really hard to complain about "PC culture" when what JonTron said is so absurdly racist.

shitheads are everywhere.. but its just odd that we've got quite a few streamers being exposed within a short timespan. This guy, Boogie, Pew..

But with Trump, and right wing politics making moves everywhere it might not be that surprising really.
Boogie too? What did he do? I need to know so I can unsubscribe from him. I don't wanna support or subscribe to any racist or bigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom