• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
You're giving Jon way too much credit. He genuinely seems dumb (and pretty arrogant), I think that's all there is to it.
So you don't think parroting 4chan is an appeal to 4chan?

He's just a dumb guy who happens to also fall in line?

ok

LionPride

Banned
I don't think TotalBiscuit's problem is hypocrisy, it's that when it comes to this stuff he's myopic to a fault. Yeah, games journalism sucks terribly, but handwaving away misogyny and racism to talk about the issue you're personally more interested in just shows that you've got a pretty sheltered existence.

All the Youtubers' reactions to this and the Pewdiepie stuff, et al just reinforces that they're in a bubble in relation to what matters in the real world. So they close ranks even when their host includes some pretty repellent people with repellent ideas.
When the issue doesn't effect you personally, in any way, shape, or form, you'll attach yourself to what you think does. In this case, journalism. The fucker handwaved xenophobia and racism because he wanted to talk about the media. Motherfucker you are on YouTube, bitch what?

Edzi

So you don't think parroting 4chan is an appeal to 4chan?

He's just a dumb guy who happens to also fall in line?

ok

I don't think he's being openly racist as part of some master plan to get more clicks to his channel, and that's what it seemed like you were saying. I think he's just massively ignorant/stupid, holds incredibly racist views, and doesn't know when to shut up.

Breads

Banned
I don't think he's being openly racist as part of some master plan to get more clicks to his channel, and that's what it seemed like you were saying. I think he's just massively ignorant/stupid, holds incredibly racist views, and doesn't know when to shut up.

Why not both.

I've only just listened to what he actually said and it was pretty much a greatest hits of racisms. You've really got to wonder why people would be stupid enough to actually come out and argue for these things.

Fwiw I had no idea who this guy was before any of this.

TB and Boogie defending JohnTron to me is about self interest. Right now youtube personalities aren't held accountable for their shit, it's the wild west. If JohnTron sees repurcussions then others will too, and both TB and Boogie have plenty of black spots on their name over coddling up to GG.
Yeah that's exactly what it is. As soon as they see more mainstream outlets feature youtubers negatively they all react as though it's an attack on the medium and not the individual

GamerJM

Banned
He still has the same amount of subscribers , its kind of crazy when you think about it, it didnt increase or decrease.

It's crazy but not THAT surprising in a post-Trump/GG world. Trump proved that many support or tolerate at worst rabid racism, and GG proved that nationalist right-wingers on the internet are loud, vocal, and willing to express their hateful views in whatever way possible (in this case, it was counteracting the people unsubbing from Jon by subbing to him).

jett

D-Member
I'm honestly surprised Jon didn't get the boot from Maker yet. PDP got kicked for less and he's an even bigger moneymaker for Disney.

PDP is much more popular among mainstream media and did his bullshit on one of his own videos on his own YouTube channel.

I'm honestly surprised Jon didn't get the boot from Maker yet. PDP got kicked for less and he's an even bigger moneymaker for Disney.

Jon has 5% of the reach that PDP has. People who don't know shit about games know about PDP. All of those same people probably have never heard of JonTron.

NexusCell

Every time I here someone state to be a centrist I think of this meme

55e312a3c5079fc37e8a0ab131eb01076d15fa189ff785870f3cc2c867e286a7_1.jpg

Basically bulletpoints from your standard /pol/ post.
The fact that he actually linked to /pol/ in the debate will forever be funny to me

Like there is zero self awareness with this guy. He's all the way bought in with this stuff. All he needs is a Pepe in his twitter handle

I would pay ten thousand united states dollars for a full and complete list of Jon's internet history

AkumaNiko

is it weird that i dont know who any of these youtube people are? I never sat through a video of this guy or any of the other names i hear.

Breads

Banned
I mean, I'm still reading it the same way so I don't think you're being as clear as you think you are. What did you mean?

Possible, I just don't think he thought that far ahead.

No you were being fair. It is I who misread what you said there. I thought you said that I was implying that he constructed this master plan to appear bigoted for views instead of actually being bigoted.

I personally think he is both bigoted and dumb. He said some edgy things in the past and because he is such a bafoon we thought he was joking - that these were all jokes. These reflections into his personality may have actually been serious the entire time and saw the lack of initial backlash as positive reinforcement to continuing letting this shit seep through his work until the political climate finally emboldened him to bring it all out in the open.

Instead of eye winks and elbow nudges he finally just comes out and proclaims his stupidity to the world it because he felt insulated enough to finally do so.

Because apparently he is insulated enough to get away with it.

He didn't plan this. This is just how it all happened.

How can anyone defend what this dude said? It was straight up full blown racist.
"It's just his point of view. We should listen to his arguments. Attacking him makes you just as bad."

And/or

"Lol who cares what his beliefs are. His videos have nothing to do with them. This witch hunt mentality people have is nuts."

I personally think he is both bigoted and dumb. He said some edgy things in the past and because he is such a bafoon we thought he was joking - that these were all jokes. These reflections into his personality may have actually been serious the entire time and saw the lack of initial backlash as positive reinforcement to continuing letting this shit seep through his work until the political climate finally emboldened him to bring it all out in the open.

More and more I think that Arin just couldn't put up with Jon either on GG or in real life anymore and we're only seeing why now.

YouTube's structure is quickly forming cliques of shit people and people who defend shit people.

Jim's article is on point. The fuck are they on about, bitching that news media is covering them when they have more reach than others who are seen as more "mainstream" but have a decidedly smaller? You're telling me no famous YouTuber should ever be reported on when they literally spout white supremacist talking points?

Fuck outta here, the real tribalists are Jon, TB, Boogie, and similar assholes circling the wagons any time any one of their community says some horseshit.

pooh

Can someone tell me what TB said about this? Given his pretty bold response recently against Trump and his supporters, I'd have a tough time believing that he would defend JonTron's racist garbage. Then again, who knows.

dreamfall

I mean what doesn't surprise me is the fact all these YouTube personalities rise up to defend one another when they say the most racist shit. It's a chorus of idiots proclaiming they know one another personally and "really guys [insert racist's name] is not racist" instead of having a bit of integrity.

What surprises me the most is the gaggle of grown men and women who go out of their way to defend their videogame personality icons at any cost- "the media is on another witch hunt!" I used to find it hilarious and pathetic until it turned into GG and alt-right dwellers with bomb threats and abuse.

Can someone tell me what TB said about this? Given his pretty bold response recently against Trump and his supporters, I'd have a tough time believing that he would defend JonTron's racist garbage. Then again, who knows.

TB's response was to primarily question/undermine the Gizmodo article that got written about Jon, rather than really address what Jon said.

The Boogie video infuriates me so much. Even if he is your friend, how in the world can you tolerate the shit that came out of his mouth and not condemn him? I'm tired of this guy's contestant need to sit on the fucking fence because he's scared of losing subscribers. Fuck him.
I have liked boogie for quite a while now and he was quite the inspiration to me with his life story and struggles and his outlook on life but to see him repeatedly defend terrible people in the misguided view of bringing people together has really put me off him and this video made me unsubscribe.

I remember when the whole palmer lucky situation kicked off and he, with all seriousness, told people that they shouldn't punish him for his nimble millionaire actions and if anything you should do it for the shitty stuff they have done with the rift and its potential to harm the vr Market.

I couldn't believe I heard him say this, and seeing him do it again and again has shown that he is either really stupid when it comes to critical thinking and doesn't realise how harmful these people are or he is a shitbag too.

Dude, TB was a massive gamergate defender back in 2014. The man is human feces.

"Lol who cares what his beliefs are. His videos have nothing to do with them. This witch hunt mentality people have is nuts."

If alternate universe JonTron made landscape and animal documentary videos, these people might have a leg to stand to on. I can see the argument for separating the creator from the content in some instances. But JonTron IS the main star of his content, and the views he "secretly" holds should be impossible to separate when he puts the spotlight on himself.

'I have one channel where I spout white nationalist beliefs and one where I goof on games! Keep these separate!'

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Just tried to watch Boogie's video.

Wow... all the hate is cause ya'll are independent eh?

Jon's just "trying on a new hat" of being a fuckin racist?

Fuck you buddy. If you wanna just play with your toys why don't you fuckin try that out. Jesus...

Cleve

The Boogie video infuriates me so much. Even if he is your friend, how in the world can you tolerate the shit that came out of his mouth and not condemn him? I'm tired of this guy's contestant need to sit on the fucking fence because he's scared of losing subscribers. Fuck him.

It reminds me of the people lining up to defend Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski, or Bill Cosby at various times.

It's a big reason I just can't stand Whoopi Goldberg anymore.

Boogie, Whoopi, your friend(s) is(are) shitty, stop trying to rationalize their disgusting behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom