• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peele's Get Out - 100% at RT after 136 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
So the one thing I'm wondering is if
that Japanese man is just another old white dude.
I'd say no for the accent reason stated above.
He also was the only person interested in how racism affected Chris' life. I took that to mean he was testing to see if the racism would be better or worse than what he had experienced. Meanwhile, the others at the auction seemed to not even consider it before he asked.

Just watched with my SO. We both liked it. I wish I hadn't seem trailer, as tons of the movie was shown...but at least they kept the end bits under wrap. The only parts I disliked was at the end when
Chris was escaping in the car....Rose saying "Grandma" and soon after "get him, Grandpa" at the end. Just really lazy info drops there, revealed with some awkward dialogue.

I have a question regarding the casting of a few characters and their relation to the politics and themes of the movie:

Why is the TSA boss an African American woman?

Just watched with my SO. We both liked it. I wish I hadn't seem trailer, as tons of the movie was shown...but at least they kept the end bits under wrap. The only parts I disliked was at the end when
Chris was escaping in the car....Rose saying "Grandma" and soon after "get him, Grandpa" at the end. Just really lazy info drops there, revealed with some awkward dialogue.
?
We already know that Georgina is grandma and Walter is grandpa.
That wasn't an info drop.

I have a question regarding the casting of a few characters and their relation to the politics and themes of the movie:

Why is the TSA boss an African American woman?

You mean the police detective? I don't think there's a particular reason. The scene does imply that the problem of institutional racism, like how the justice system can ignore missing black people, goes beyond white people, though.

hidys

I keep thinking about this movie. I'm prepared to say it's the greatest horror/thriller I've ever seen and probably within my top 5 favourites of all time.

I would certainly argue that it is the best feature length directorial debut ever.

I would certainly argue that it is the best feature length directorial debut ever.

I wouldn't even say it's the best horror movie directorial debut ever. Eraserhead, Night of the Living Dead, and the original Evil Dead all stand higher than it for me, and Get Out is by far my fave movie of the year.

?
We already know that Georgina is grandma and Walter is grandpa.
That wasn't an info drop.
They didn't flatout tell us yet though, did they? That seemed like the "If you haven't gotten it yet, here you go" moment where they just tell you. It was like the kind of dialogue that is always ribbed on when someone calls their brother bro or something in an unnatural way to make the audience aware.

They didn't flatout tell us yet though, did they? That seemed like the "If you haven't gotten it yet, here you go" moment where they just tell you. It was like the kind of dialogue that is always ribbed on when someone calls their brother bro or something in an unnatural way to make the audience aware.
? It was suuuuuper obvious and those lines of dialogue didn't play out that way at all for me. It was more along the lines of all pretense being out the window and she's gonna refer to them the way she normally would.

Charcoal

Gf and I just rented it off Google Play and holy shit, what an amazing movie.

We were both screaming at the screen during the last 15 minutes lol

carlsojo

Rented off Amazon the other day and I think I went in with expectations way too high because I didn't end up liking it that much.

My biggest complaint is the TSA character felt completely out of place.

this movie completely lost me when it introduced the
hypnotism and body swapping?

was this meant to be allegorical or what? I couldn't take any of it seriously, but maybe im not supposed to. Help me understand the overwhelming praise for this movie.

was this meant to be allegorical or what? I couldn't take any of it seriously, but maybe im not supposed to. Help me understand the overwhelming praise for this movie.

Nobody wants to be black, but everybody wants to be black.

Pretty much this. Black culture is trendy all the time and white people want to be a part of that, but they dont want to be black.

You can even go to the Black face phenomenon in Western countries and this need to paint their faces black and wear kinky hair and act "black" and call it "tradition".

Help me understand why it lost you at
hypnotism
and then again much later in the film at
body swapping
? Why?

Pretty much this. Black culture is trendy all the time and white people want to be a part of that, but they dont want to be black.

so its another excuse to generalize skin colour? not even worth quantifying it as "some" white people? maybe this is an American thing, but I still don't see how that's a positive sentiment for anyone.
the stuff with the auction was so over the top im not even sure what to feel

Help me understand why it lost you at
hypnotism
and then again much later in the film at
body swapping
? Why?

because its nonsense/gibberish on both parts

northernflights

Neo Member
so its another excuse to generalize skin colour? not even worth quantifying it as "some" white people? maybe this is an American thing, but I still don't see how that's a positive sentiment for anyone.

Why do you feel so attacked?

#NotAllWhitePeople I take it?

wow, clearly this film is having a positive influence...
asking about what this movie means and I just get memes and "u mad" responses. the fuck?

Obviously the movie has some striking visual direction, but the script reminded me of a M Night movie, and it seems impossible to ask about it without offending people.

I just saw this last night. I rarely get to see movies anymore primarily because of a combination of me being a cynic and a parent that doesn't get out much but this was just flat out amazing.

.....because its nonsense/gibberish on both parts

If you're not from America, I can see you not understanding a lot of the subtext in the choices Jordan Peele made in this film. In particular, being African American (and to a lesser extent, most any minority) gives you a more direct through line to getting the film.

The Sunken Place (or the hypnosis as you point out), as Jordan Peele explained it, is a metaphor for being marginalized, and no matter how much you might try to resist or scream, you have no power. The "system", which can be the government (or, in the African American experience, white people, which is not really much different in this case) silences you. No matter how much Chris screamed out for help, he was incapable of doing anything to better his circumstances.

Now as far as what those other posters said earlier: "Everybody wants to be black, but nobody wants to be black". Everybody seems to love black culture, whether it's fashion, language, music, dance or general swagger. But at the same time, there's the stereotype of white women clutching her purse tighter when walking by a young black man on the street, or locking her door when one passes by her car. They don't do this because of positive stereotypes. They have been conditioned over centuries into thinking black people, especially black men, are violent and dangerous. They know that cops feel the same way generally (even other minority cops), so while they benefit from black culture, they don't/wouldn't want to be in the same situation as blacks as far as the negative stereotypes are concerned. Hence the saying.

Another way of saying it would be something like "Oh, so you adopted Hip-Hop culture, but can't handle the cops' grilling you more now". It's basically saying that someone is trying to take all of the positives of being black, but don't want to accept the negatives that come with the package.

So how this relates to the film, you say? Well, think back to slavery. We had white masters being able to do whatever they wanted to black bodies. Whip and kill black men, rape and impregnate black women, etc. They used Africans for physical labor of all kinds, so that they could concentrate on other endeavors. White brains with black brawn, so to speak. Now look at the party/slave auction. Yes, they literally were sizing him up like a slave master would at the auction block, but to do that they were asking him about black stereotypes, like how strong and great they must be at physical activities such as sports, their sexual prowess (perhaps for breeding purposes, much like slave times), and the like.

So, what does the end game brain swapping end up doing? Combining white brains with black brawn! While they are not outright overt racists (like you'd stereotypically expect of the American South), they believe those old stereotypes that blacks are inherently stronger and more capable in sexual activity, and so they desire having that experience after having lived their very privileged white lives. They're not going to encounter much of the negativity of being black, cause they're not going to go and let former friends and family of the black people they inhabit get the chance to find out they're still around. They'll stay in their own little community, isolated from all of that inconvenient racism that black people complain about and experience all of the time.

So again, I say to you: "Everyone wants to be black, but nobody wants to be black".

This movie succeeds as much as it does not for its horror aspects, nor for its thriller aspects. But for its social commentary. Jordan Peele keeps on calling it a Social Thriller. I think it's as apt of a name as any. But keep in mind that the Social is before the Thriller. So much of this film is an allegory for what it's like being black in American society today, and not just in the South, a place you associate with overt racism. But instead with people you'd normally consider allies: liberal whites. While they may not purposefully be prejudiced and not be racist themselves, there are many small transgressions (or micro-transgressions as many people call them) that they may not realize they are doing, such as all of the white people at the party trying to relate to Chris' blackness by saying things like "I would've voted for Obama for a third term" or "I know Tiger (Woods)!" While that sounds harmless, ultimately it makes Chris feel less welcome than before, because they don't seem to know how to relate to him besides through his skin tone. They don't try to simply relate to him as a fellow human being. He is constantly being reminded of his ethnicity, instead of feeling respected and being treated like one of their own.

There is so much more to unpack with this film, but I'd start with this video (https://youtu.be/ubNKSgdT1FQ), which does a good job of just explaining much of the metaphors and symbolism of the film. I would also go and check out all the Jordan Peele interviews he did in the run-up and during the height of Get Out's success. There is a lot to chew on. But with this knowledge, it'll make watching the film that much more enlightening, and you can see how amazing it all works together.

RedAssedApe

Banned

because its nonsense/gibberish on both parts

calling something nonsense/gibberish without elaborating on why isn't going to help with the reaction you're getting. especially when it sounds like the social commentary went over your head.

see above post.

asking about what this movie means and I just get memes and "u mad" responses. the fuck?

Obviously the movie has some striking visual direction, but the script reminded me of a M Night movie, and it seems impossible to ask about it without offending people.

Nobody is offended, people legitimately tried to answer your questions and you somehow seem defensive about it.

I'd be interested in what you thought about SonofdonCD's explanation. He did a good job, I thought, of unpacking why it's getting the praise that it is. Thoughts?

Rented this last night on Amazon. I really wanted to see this in theaters, but I just didn't have the time when it came out. This was really good! I'm really glad Jordan chose the ending he did and didn't use the alternate ending. I like the final theatrical ending way better.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Did you think you were watching a documentary or bio-pic?
The movie kind of lost me and my girl with the
hypnotism and body swapping as well. Just seemed like a lot of stuff tied to the body swapping was cheesy as hell. Everything else about it was really on point as far as the cinematograpy, actors, and themes black people face. At most points I could personally relate (cept I've never had a white girlfriend). I don't know how I feel about the ending though, lol. I was cool with him killing most of the people but at one point it just felt like a video game. It seemed less about him killing to get out and more just killing for the sake of it

Gin-Shiio

Finally watched this with the girlfriend last night. Very good movie. Obviously the plot is a bit nonsensical, but all that serves the purpose of making us as the viewers feel a certain way. I think that being the primary aim of the movie, it succeeded beautifully.

Finally watched this with the girlfriend last night. Very good movie. Obviously the plot is a bit nonsensical, but all that serves the purpose of making us as the viewers feel a certain way. I think that being the primary aim of the movie, it succeeded beautifully.

What did you think was nonsensical about the plot?

Yonafunu

The movie kind of lost me and my girl with the hypnotism and body swapping as well. Just seemed like a lot of stuff tied to the body swapping was cheesy as hell. Everything else about it was really on point as far as the cinematograpy, actors, and themes black people face. At most points I could personally relate (cept I've never had a white girlfriend). I don't know how I feel about the ending though, lol. I was cool with him killing most of the people but at one point it just felt like a video game. It seemed less about him killing to get out and more just killing for the sake of it

I loved the ending. It's pure catharsis.

It (unsurprisingly) reminded me of a certain Tarantino film's ending.

Gin-Shiio

What did you think was nonsensical about the plot?

The family seemingly has gone about their business for a long time, but their procedure is needlessly convoluted and risky. Them acting like diet racists at first glance and keeping the body-swapped grandparents around for the period of the visit only serves to heighten our and the main character's suspicion, but from their point of view, is really not a reasonable approach to take.

That's what I mean when I say it doesn't make much sense, but succeeds at creeping us out for that reason. So it's a necessity for the movie rather than a flaw from my point of view.

Jesus at the people posting spoilers in here lol. It's not hard to use tags guys. Guess I know a good bit about the ending now just from this last page.

The family seemingly has gone about their business for a long time, but their procedure is needlessly convoluted and risky. Them acting like diet racists at first glance and keeping the body-swapped grandparents around for the period of the visit only serves to heighten our and the main character's suspicion, but from their point of view, is really not a reasonable approach to take.

That's what I mean when I say it doesn't make much sense, but succeeds at creeping us out for that reason. So it's a necessity for the movie rather than a flaw from my point of view.

Convulted and risky?

There are literally grown as men sewing blankets into costumes to go burn crosses in the middle of fields.

Shit the premise of the movie is actually more believable than what I just typed.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I loved the ending. It's pure catharsis.

It (unsurprisingly) reminded me of a certain Tarantino film's ending.
I could see that but idk I just felt like the final act could've been done better. It was too quick for me. Loved everything leading up until
the body swap shit
lol.

Jesus at the people posting spoilers in here lol. It's not hard to use tags guys. Guess I know a good bit about the ending now just from this last page.
My bad. I thought it was fair game since the movies been out for a while now.

Gin-Shiio

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239133423 said:
Convulted and risky?

There are literally grown as men sewing blankets into costumes to go burn crosses in the middle of fields.

Shit the premise of the movie is actually more believable than what I just typed.

The difference here is that one thing has questionable aims to begin with, while the other has questionable procedure. I don't really think these two things are comparable at all.

louiedog

Why would you read a discussion thread for a movie that's been out for months if you care about spoilers?

It only recently came out on Blu-ray and may still not be in some territories. Maybe someone wants to come in and ask if it's worth owning, better to rent, if there are good extras worth checking that out over the streaming version, etc.

There's a spoiler thread for unmarked spoilers.

It only recently came out on Blu-ray and may still not be in some territories. Maybe someone wants to come in and ask if it's worth owning, better to rent, if there are good extras worth checking that out over the streaming version, etc.

There's a spoiler thread for unmarked spoilers.

Aerith dies

? It was suuuuuper obvious and those lines of dialogue didn't play out that way at all for me. It was more along the lines of all pretense being out the window and she's gonna refer to them the way she normally would.

I just saw that part of the movie again and I was totally wrong. The "grandma" line totally comes off like an info drop like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom