• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peele's Get Out - 100% at RT after 136 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gore is in here but its miniscule, maybe even less than the percentage I gave. The meat of the film is definitely as a thriller. Its where the comparisons to The Shining come from, I believe.

WHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA

THIS IS GETTING COMPARISONS TO THE SHINING?! I adore that film, hype levels just sky rocketed

Goddamn it there are way too many good movies in theaters right now

As huge love of genre films than the traditional dramas, I love it! I got me Split, John Wick 2, still need to check out The Lego Batman movie.

Now we got Get Out and then next week Logan also getting rave reviews, it's a wonderful time!

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-jordan-peele/

Jordan Peele just did a podcast where he talks about a lot of his influences and philosophy making the film. He took aspects (spoilers on what films he drew from)
of the community in his film from The Stepford Wives, and he wanted the house and the grounds in Get Out to be a character like the Overlook was from The Shining. He wanted to avoid tropes like when characters back into (literally) bad places, or utilising jump scares.

Edit: maybe save the podcast for after seeing the film, not because of spoilers necessarily, but because knowing the film makes following the conversation more clear.

The more impressive part isn't just the high tomato score it's the fact it's high tomatoes score with a weighted review average of 8.2; essentially the movie is getting plenty of 4 to 5 star reviews across the board critically.
Man, seriously congrats to Peele for making what seems like a great and pertinent film.

Prompto

Banned
As huge love of genre films than the traditional dramas, I love it! I got me Split, John Wick 2, still need to check out The Lego Batman movie.

Now we got Get Out and then next week Logan also getting rave reviews, it's a wonderful time!
Totally forgot about Split. Still need to see it. But yeah this has been a pretty good month movie wise.

Kalentan

Holy hell, for a directorial to have 100% after nearly 100 reviews and an average score of 8.3? That's damn impressive.

Like I knew Keegen-Michael Key had begun doing some acting stuff (namely him in the first season of Hunt the Truth, dude was fucking phenomenal in that) but I didn't realize that Jordan Peele was starting up directing.

Looks like he must have a bright future on it.

Good to see them both seeing much success after Key & Peele. But damn do I miss Key & Peele.

FatalT

Banned
I've never been happier for a black man to pick cotton before.

EDIT: Also I've never been more disgusted while watching someone eat fruit loops with a glass of milk before.

THIS IS GETTING COMPARISONS TO THE SHINING?! I adore that film, hype levels just sky rocketed

You will be horribly disappointed if you are expecting this to be comparable to a Kubrick directed, Nicholson led, adaptation of a great book.

It's a fun movie, and worth watching. But I can't believe not a single one in 100 critics has disliked it yet. I would have thought it would be at like 75% RT or something.

I don't want to be the negative guy in this thread, I really enjoyed it. And I think Jordan Peele had a good career ahead of him as a director. But I don't want people expecting an all-timer, they will probably be disappointed.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Don't want to set your expectations too high. But The Shining comparisons come from the the sense as a thriller it portrays than pure quality. Don't go in expecting The Shining but what it contains as a thriller.

gnomed

Holy hell, for a directorial to have 100% after nearly 100 reviews and an average score of 8.3? That's damn impressive.

Like I knew Keegen-Michael Key had begun doing some acting stuff (namely him in the first season of Hunt the Truth, dude was fucking phenomenal in that) but I didn't realize that Jordan Peele was starting up directing.

Looks like he must have a bright future on it.

Good to see them both seeing much success after Key & Peele. But damn do I miss Key & Peele.

Glad both are succeeding after their show, they are well deserved. I regret reading the thread title, now I am having high hopes for the film. The trailers made it seem pretty generic, but with a nice twist.

Don't want to set your expectations too high. But The Shining comparisons come from the the sense as a thriller it portrays than pure quality. Don't go in expecting The Shining but what it contains as a thriller.

You will be horribly disappointed if you are expecting this to be comparable to a Kubrick directed, Nicholson led, adaptation of a great book.

It's a fun movie, and worth watching. But I can't believe not a single one in 100 critics has disliked it yet. I would have thought it would be at like 75% RT or something.

I don't want to be the negative guy in this thread, I really enjoyed it. And I think Jordan Peele had a good career ahead of him as a director. But I don't want people expecting an all-timer, they will probably be disappointed.

Ok I'm calming myself back down. The Shining is like a top tier film imo and maybe my favorite horror / thriller ever. So to even hear the comparison's got me amped up.

Lord Fagan

I hope this is that late February sleeper hit the way Chronicle was.

This is that magical window of time the studios schedule a real gem for release at a normally dead time of year at the cineplex. Looks amazing. I'll do this one on Friday, and Logan next week.

gfxtwin

It actually has something to say than being a film existing for the sake of the ride.

Agreed, although admittedly I'm kind of a pretentious dork and sometimes movies that are mostly visual/audio with almost no discernible plot can also be enjoyable to me as well (Samsara, 2001, Fantasia, Tree of Life, etc) so whatevs

They should seriously do one of those "critically acclaimed" tv spots showing all kinds of quotes on screen and scores aping Academy Award season movies, and then reveling the last 10 seconds with actual "Get Out" footage.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I liked Get Out.

I also liked It Follows, The Guest, and You're Next.

Get Out feels like those films in tone, it's got those sophisticated social commentary deconstruction type messages mixed in with the suspense and horror. It's not jump scares, or torture, or dumb people doing dumb things kind of horror. It feels like part of this new wave of horror that is being made by the people that grew up on John Carpenter and Wes Craven, but who were also influenced by Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese. The idea that horror isn't just cheap genre fare, but can be serious film at the same time.

Hyun Sai

Heeh, after seeing those comments on the more "thriller" than "gory", I might watch this, trailer got me interested, that was weird as fuck lol.

benzy

I mean, you guys can dislike a thing a large majority of people liked without that thing being "overrated."

It's just rated.

Your disagreement doesn't somehow change the scale.

hell, "overrated" isn't even a criticism of a film. It's a criticism of the film's audience for not being better at liking things.

When people say "overrated" it's basically just an opinion. No one's trying to change anything.

GhaleonEB

Holy hell. The trailer I saw a few weeks ago did not look good at all, but on the basis of the reviews I'll check it our this weekend for sure.

Omg yes, I've been so in for this movie after everything I've seen and I even thought the ads I've been seeing on YouTube look good. Jordan Peele is one talented dude I'm so there opening night

kai3345

Banned
Just got out. Really awesome film. Scream-like in how it perfectly balances comedy and genuine tension/suspense. I went into this thinking that there were going to be a bunch of overt metaphors, but the social commentary is actually pretty subtle (but effective) - which I think works to the film's benefit.

Oscar

99 reviews.

I ignored the initial "100% RT" praises from when it only had like 10 reviews, but now I'm legit curious to see what's up.

B33

Banned
"The man responsible for this film genuinely believes that this is an accurate representation of the greatest threat faced by black men. That would be laughable it was not downright wrong. This is nothing but Alt-Left racist propaganda. This is the antithesis of what uniting people means. "

-danielcastaneda-35512

damn daniel

imbd user review.

This is why I never read IMDb reviews. They're worthless.

gfxtwin

There should be a second trailer after the film's released featuring selected excerpts of negative imdb reviews in classy serif font with graphics of curved palm branches on each end.

rekameohs

Banned
giphy.gif

reKon

Banned
holy fuck, I just saw this shit on facebook before even seeing this thread. I need to see this one. This literally came out of nowhere (further proven by this thread being created on the release date, lol).

neshcom

Banned
Just got back from a screening. Will probably be one of my favorite movies of all time. Having gone in knowing next-to-nothing about it, I don't even want to leave spoiler tags. If you're on the fence, please go see it.

I liked Get Out.

I also liked It Follows, The Guest, and You're Next.

Get Out feels like those films in tone, it's got those sophisticated social commentary deconstruction type messages mixed in with the suspense and horror. It's not jump scares, or torture, or dumb people doing dumb things kind of horror. It feels like part of this new wave of horror that is being made by the people that grew up on John Carpenter and Wes Craven, but who were also influenced by Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese. The idea that horror isn't just cheap genre fare, but can be serious film at the same time.

Holy shit, you just sold me to the movie!!!
...Now it just has to release (english subs only, please) in Germany, haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom