• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Mourinho to take over Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryKS

Just to highlight the fact that this is the only place he's ever wanted to be at since that semi-final with Porto, which, history will indicate, he was quite lucky to have triumphed in, that Manchester United is the only club he wanted, he wore his best suit, he looks truly humbled in the picture, and, he opened an Instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF53jAGowXZ/http://

Par Score

Why? I keep hearing some champion for him to be signed but the dude is long past it.
I know. A striker who will be 35 next season is not a good move. He would be destroyed by the premier league.

Wow. Just wow.

Code:
1999–2001 	Malmö FF 	40 	(16)
2001–2004 	Ajax 		74 	(35)
2004–2006 	Juventus 	70 	(23)
2006–2009 	Inter Milan 	88 	(57)
2009–2011 	Barcelona 	29 	(16)
2010–2011 	→ Milan (loan) 	29 	(14)
2011–2012 	Milan 		[B]32 	(28)[/B]
2012–2016 	PSG 		[B]122 	(113)[/B]

Yes, clearly past it.

Also, second top goalscorer in qualifying for Euro 2016, and just generally playing like a beast. Zlatan would be an amazing signing.

Tosyn_88

Damn :(

2012–2016 Paris Saint-Germain 122 (113)

122 appearances, 113 goals. We don't need him running around, just banging in goals. He scored 2 in his last game for PSG. How many Man Utd players have scored 2 in a game this season? Very rare.

Rashford did it twice on the bounce

Wow. Just wow.

Code:
1999–2001 	Malmö FF 	40 	(16)
2001–2004 	Ajax 		74 	(35)
2004–2006 	Juventus 	70 	(23)
2006–2009 	Inter Milan 	88 	(57)
2009–2011 	Barcelona 	29 	(16)
2010–2011 	→ Milan (loan) 	29 	(14)
2011–2012 	Milan 		[B]32 	(28)[/B]
2012–2016 	PSG 		[B]122 	(113)[/B]

Yes, clearly past it.

Also, second top goalscorer in qualifying for Euro 2016, and just generally playing like a beast. Zlatan would be an amazing signing.

No disrespect to the French league, but it isn't at the highest quality. But as a Swede, I have no doubt Zlatan at age 35 would be able to compete with the very best in the Premier League, he's still in better shape than players at 20.

Kyoufu

Bit rich coming from a supporter of a club that spent 80m this season - the second biggest net spend in the league - and got relegated.

Not sure what relevance that has with anything I said? Or are you comparing what a bottom 3 PL club can attract with one of the top clubs in the world?

Tosyn_88

You don't watch much football, huh?

I do sir, ok fair enough maybe my judgement of Zlatan is harsh but if you look at the way Man Utd are currently set up, I don't see how he fits. Also this a player who is far into his 30s coming from the French league!! He is a top player but this is like Falcao all over again, he wont have a rosy time in the English league, it is far more harder to settle in

Audioboxer

Rashford did it twice on the bounce

If it were a consistent thing for United though we'd not have finished with the lowest goals in the season in a long time.

The thing with Zlatan is he's on a free, and he's a born arrogant leader. We don't have many leaders right now so that will help. You're not going to see Rashford shouting at other players and calling bullshit bullshit for a while, if ever.

Rooney seems to be suffering from angry old man syndrome more than ever. Happier to argue with officials than scream and shout as his fellow players for playing shit. He's better at driving play forward, but we need someone to rally the troops on the park.

Not sure what relevance that has with anything I said? Or are you comparing what a bottom 3 PL club can attract with one of the top clubs in the world?

You didn't spend money like a bottom three club.

And if you are a bottom three club, that clearly shows that just having a massive budget isn't a guarantee of success and therefore is indeed a challenge.

Kyoufu

You didn't spend money like a bottom three club.

And if you are a bottom three club, that clearly shows that just having a massive budget isn't a guarantee of success and therefore is indeed a challenge.

I think you'll find a bottom 3 club can spend 80 million. It's called TV money. The difference between Man Utd spending however many millions and a bottom 3 club is that Man Utd can attract the top level players. Whereas Newcastle spent something like 17 million on a player who was deemed not good enough for the Premier League and was shipped back to France in December.

So again, I don't see where you're going with what you said. If Van Gaal's stale side won a trophy I'm sure Mourinho will win something too with the amount of money and drawing power at his disposal. Hardly a challenge.

Anyway, you should be grateful we spent 80 million. We saved your season from being a total disaster. :p

Tosyn_88

If it were a consistent thing for United though we'd not have finished with the lowest goals in the season in a long time.

The thing with Zlatan is he's on a free, and he's a born arrogant leader. We don't have many leaders right now so that will help. You're not going to see Rashford shouting at other players and calling bullshit bullshit for a while, if ever.

Rooney seems to be suffering from angry old man syndrome more than ever. Happier to argue with officials than scream and shout as his fellow players for playing shit. He's better at driving play forward, but we need someone to rally the troops on the park.

Call me crazy but isn't Zlatan going to be like a skill Felliani? I mean, the old Zlatan from Juventus/InterMilan days was super crazy and skillfull but now he.....The English league is unforgiving

MrS

Banned
I think you'll find a bottom 3 club can spend 80 million. It's called TV money. The difference between Man Utd spending however many millions and a bottom 3 club is that Man Utd can attract the top level players. Whereas Newcastle spent something like 17 million on a player who was deemed not good enough for the Premier League and was shipped back to France in December.
Look at Leicester's signings and league position and then compare them to Newcastle's. Success in the PL has more to do with scouting and signing the right people for your club than just buying 'top level players', by which you just mean big names. Your scouting department did an awful job with transfers, especially Thauvin. Having vasts sums to spend evidently doesn't guarantee success, or safety in Newcastle's case. Mou taking the Man Utd job is a challenge.

Audioboxer

Call me crazy but isn't Zlatan going to be like a skill Felliani? I mean, the old Zlatan from Juventus/InterMilan days was super crazy and skillfull but now he.....The English league is unforgiving

All I really care about is leadership and accuracy with finishing. I'll leave the skill to Martial to lay off Zlatan.

Tosyn_88

Good thing Rooney is a midfielder moving forward. I would not be shocked if Mou tries to move him.

There is problem with regards to Rooney/Mata playing important roles in the team. Rooney seem to have lost a bit of that fight he used to have as a younger lad but he definitely has a wider range compared to Mata as a number 10.

I think of all the young players breaking through, Jose will favour Fosu-Mensah best because he looks exactly like a Jose type player. Rashford, Bothwick Jackson, Perreira, McNair, Lingard will either be loaned off or given fringe roles

Tosyn_88

All I really care about is leadership and accuracy with finishing. I'll leave the skill to Martial to lay off Zlatan.

I suppose we have to wait and see how Zlatan will be effective in any United set up. If used well, I can see what you are saying working well, him being very tall, laying off passes for others to run through with, id be optimistic then

Kill3r7

I suppose we have to wait and see how Zlatan will be effective in any United set up. If used well, I can see what you are saying working well, him being very tall, laying off passes for others to run through with, id be optimistic then

He played okay against Chelsea and City. I don't think the transition to the PL will be much of an issue.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's it done. Now I'm looking forward to next season with a bit of nervous excitement. God I hope Mourinho is fired up and ready to prove he's still one of the best, not harbouring petty grudges against the world for mistreating him. He looks and sounds like he's in the right frame of mind anyway. Guess we'll find out soon.

And I'm a bit shocked to see people suggesting Ibrahimovic is past it/ couldn't cope with the PL. Dude's in great form, great shape and full of confidence (as always). He's got a couple of years left in the tank, definitely, and he would terrorise a lot of the centre-backs playing in England right now. I'd be very happy to see him at Man U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom