• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Mourinho to take over Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed by all those high profile managers in the Premier League next season.

Pep Guardiola - Manchester City
Jose Mourinho - Manchester United
Conte - Chelsea
Arsene Wenger - Arsenal
Jurgen Klopp - Liverpool
Sam Ranieri - Leicester City

I somehow hope that we buy De Gea, and that Manu buys Schmeichel. I really wonder if the kid will find a bigger club during the summer, or if he will stay on at Leicester?

Might as well add Bilic (West Ham) to that. Not as high profile but still rather decent.

They should have let LvG train a third year. Now you can say goodbye to the youngs talents...

And who would trust a trainer who sacks a woman like this?

hqdefault.jpg

He didn't sack her. She was told to report back to work and didn't. Jon Fearn, the other one who Mou went off on, did return and still very much works at Chelsea.

Also have Chelsea fans all of a sudden forgotten everything JM won at the club doing it his way?

I don't know what got you that impression. The countless banners and songs still sung about Mourinho by Chelsea supporters? The outrage from the fans when he was fired, despite the club being in relegation danger? People have not forgotten. But I still think it was (sadly) necessary to fire him. If it was possible the players should have been fired instead, but sadly that is not nearly as easy.

Kyoufu

Seems even Johan Cryuff agrees on that front. Pep doesn't like to take on challenging roles while Jose on the other hand seem to relish those type of work. The times he went to Inter Milan, Real Madrid were times those clubs were in transition, so far Pep has chosen teams that are well stocked

Going to Man Utd or any of the other top clubs is hardly a "challenge". They can buy a whole new team.

Whenever these managers go to these kind of clubs and talk about "challenge" it cracks me up.

Arex

Finally. Now announce Zlatan! Anyway, 3 year huh, I guess they don't want to pay him too much if it doesn't work out lol

xandaca

Not convinced he'll make it to the end of those three years. Old money club valuing their employees being good representatives and role models for the brand, exciting football, and having youth development at the heart of their team? They're like the anti-Mourinho. If fans hated van Gaal for his tepid possession play, they haven't seen anything yet.

(I'm a Chelsea fan, btw)

Malcolm9

It's quite funny seeing United fans suddenly changing their opinion on Jose. When he was our manager he was dull, boring and parks the bus, now he's the next messiah.

I appreciate everything he done during his Chelsea tenure, but he is not the Jose of years back, his time in Spain aged him and dulled his personality and ways, I can't see him getting that back.

United have a good squad but he'll have to make some decent acquisitions to make them title winners or challenge the top four, we definitely won't be as bad as the season just gone and Liverpool will be on the up as well.

Brinbe

Oh happy day! Get in! =D

Now get Zlatan signed up and we're on our way. Next, get that backline sorted, then solidify the midfield. Should have made this move three years ago, but at least they finally made the right choice. The true successor to Sir Alex is here. Good times are on the way, MUFC-GAF.

And lol, United haven't played exciting football since the Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez trio up-front and that was almost a decade ago. Just win, baby.

As a United fan of 25 years, this is the first time I've been excited for the future since Alex left.

Mourinho has a lot of faults, but he is a proven winner and commands respect.

TrueBlue

I still love ya Jose, but I just can't wish for you to succeed.

Who's willing to bet his first PL game will be against Chelsea - the exact opposite of his first ever game? It's like poetry etc.

Par Score

Not convinced he'll make it to the end of those three years. Old money club valuing their employees being good representatives and role models for the brand, exciting football, and having youth development at the heart of their team? They're like the anti-Mourinho. If fans hated van Gaal for his tepid possession play, they haven't seen anything yet.

(I'm a Chelsea fan, btw)

Were you a Chelsea fan back in 04-06 too, when a Mourinho side featuring young English talent like Joe Cole (22), Shaun Wright-Phillips (22), John Terry (23) and Frank Lampard (25) combined with exciting foreign talent like Arjen Robben and Michael Essien to produce the sort of exciting, effective football that Man Utd fans crave?

This bullshit revisionist history being spouted about Mourinho has got to stop (but wont).

TrueBlue

Were you a Chelsea fan back in 04-06 too, when a Mourinho side featuring young English talent like Joe Cole (22), Shaun Wright-Phillips (22), John Terry (23) and Frank Lampard (25) combined with exciting foreign talent like Arjen Robben and Michael Essien to produce the sort of exciting, effective football that Man Utd fans crave?

This bullshit revisionist history being spouted about Mourinho has got to stop (but wont).

This is annoying. Even with my bias, I rate the first Chelsea side under Mourinho to be among the best ever in the PL.

He can do it. Hell, the first half of the 14/15 season was wonderful to watch.

EDIT: tbf though, Terry, Cole and Lampard were already at the club and brought in by Ranieri. Mou just took them to the next level. SWP was kinda bad.

faridmon

As said previously. His years at Madrid have undermined that. Did he actually play excellent youngsters at his second tenure at Chelsea? He became an old grumpy man always blaming others for his faults.

Not am I saying he isn't a quality manager still, but being excited by him from his old days seems very optimistic.

ActWan

Ok, now that it's finally official I have some things to say.
His style of play and not enough emphasis of young player are two negatives for the club.
But, if you look at interviews when he was at Porto, Chelsea, Real...he LOVES Man. United and that's a really good thing. Maybe he can change a bit for the club...
Oh and I really hope he won't leave with a destroyed dressing room like he did in the past.
How much time is he gonna stay anyway, according to his contract? (or that haven't been published yet)

faridmon

Ok, now that it's finally official I have some things to say.
His style of play and not enough emphasis of young player are two negatives for the club.
But, if you look at interviews when he was at Porto, Chelsea, Real...he LOVES Man. United and that's a really good thing. Maybe he can change a bit for the club...
Oh and I really hope he won't leave with a destroyed dressing room like he did in the past.
How much time is he gonna stay anyway, according to his contract? (or that haven't been published yet)

3 Years, but you know, call me crazy, but I can see him staying longer if everything goes well.

DBT85

I'm sure Hazard can be considered excellent and youngster.

I've no concerns about play style, if you just look at the stats his teams outscore everyone constantly and win trophies. I'll take it.

Apparently not addressing the media until July though. That'll piss them off lol.

ActWan

3 Years, but you know, call me crazy, but I can see him staying longer if everything goes well.

Thanks, and if he gets good results I too can see him staying longer. (although I would prefer that everything was a fairytale story and Giggs would become the next Alex Ferguson and stay forever lol)

Kill3r7

Going to Man Utd or any of the other top clubs is hardly a "challenge". They can buy a whole new team.

Whenever these managers go to these kind of clubs and talk about "challenge" it cracks me up.

It is a different type of challenge at top clubs, the expectations are sky high. You need to challenge for the league and UCL. Winning the UCL has to be one of the most difficult feats in football, no matter how stacked your side is.

mekes

I credit the club for trying something different. Those making the decisions seemed a little too tied to a set way of doing things. Once SAF won a boat load of trophies, it became about winning. We didn't always play the best football, sometimes we depended on luck, like against Chelsea in the CL final or Barca in the semis. Counter attacking football against a good majority of talented sides.

('ve honestly no idea what to expect next season now. I'm not excited by this, but I do find it interesting. Its a big job, he's never had a bigger job than this one I don't think. He has a lot of work to do, the league will be very difficult next year. It will be a big job to get this side well into the top 4.

And most importantly, he looks evil in that picture holding the United shirt :S

Bit rich coming from a supporter of a club that spent 80m this season - the second biggest net spend in the league - and got relegated.

Malcolm9

I credit the club for trying something different. Those making the decisions seemed a little too tied to a set way of doing things. Once SAF won a boat load of trophies, it became about winning. We didn't always play the best football, sometimes we depended on luck, like against Chelsea in the CL final or Barca in the semis. Counter attacking football against a good majority of talented sides.

('ve honestly no idea what to expect next season now. I'm not excited by this, but I do find it interesting. Its a big job, he's never had a bigger job than this one I don't think. He has a lot of work to do, the league will be very difficult next year. It will be a big job to get this side well into the top 4.

Real Madrid was a bigger job for him.

milanbaros

Member?

Real Madrid is the bigger job but agree this is more challenging.

mekes

Just to clarify, by big job I meant he has a lot of work to do. Not win 2 extra games as was the case in Spain.

Tosyn_88

Oh happy day! Get in! =D

Now get Zlatan signed up and we're on our way. Next, get that backline sorted, then solidify the midfield. Should have made this move three years ago, but at least they finally made the right choice. The true successor to Sir Alex is here. Good times are on the way, MUFC-GAF.

And lol, United haven't played exciting football since the Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez trio up-front and that was almost a decade ago. Just win, baby.

Why? I keep hearing some champion for him to be signed but the dude is long past it.

Audioboxer

New Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has just been speaking to MUTV, we'll let you know what he's said in the next few minutes.

Yay

Jose Mourinho: "I think I am in the right moment in my career. Manchester United is one of these clubs where you need really to be prepared. It's what I used to call a giant club. Giant clubs must be for the best managers. I think I'm ready for it. I could say I'm happy, proud honoured, but the reality is what I love is to work and I cannot wait for 7 July."

Brinbe

Why? I keep hearing some champion for him to be signed but the dude is long past it.

What? That's just not true. Age isn't everything. He's as good as he's ever been and was in ridiculous form for PSG this season. Strength+Intelligence+Technique don't just disappear once you turn 35/36. He'd be ace playing up top with Martial/Rashford/Depay and whoever else we sign setting him on on the flanks.

NB8k2RU.png

He's exactly the type of world class complete striker we've lacked in the squad. Can't wait till he signs on along with a gaggle of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom