• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Mourinho to take over Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Banned
I don't understand why Giggs doesn't go to a championship or league one club to learn his trade. It doesn't matter how many great managers he assists. Its very different being a manager especially taking over a club the size of united.

United need a right back and a central midfielder big time. Also does anyone think Schweinstieger and schniederlin will stay?

Firemind

Its not like he will be short of a few quid to go out and get them. Lets wait and see who he brings in.
Which world class playmaker will want to play at a club that doesn't play Champions League next season? Utd have the cash, but it's not like the player will pocket the transfer fee. They're gonna have to be damn good negotiators.

Kill3r7

I don't understand why Giggs doesn't go to a championship or league one club to learn his trade. It doesn't matter how many great managers he assists. Its very different being a manager especially taking over a club the size of united.

United need a right back and a central midfielder big time. Also does anyone think Schweinstieger and schniederlin will stay?

Schniederlin stays if he shows the same form he had at Southampton. I think Schweinstieger is much more difficult. If he expects to start then I don't see Jose keeping him but if he is willing to come off the bench then definitely.

Brinbe

And he's gone.

MwNJ3FO.jpg

Van Gaal will leave #mufc with a pay-off of £4,554,000, plus a £400,000 bonus for winning the FA Cup.

Danchi

Which world class playmaker will want to play at a club that doesn't play Champions League next season? Utd have the cash, but it's not like the player will pocket the transfer fee. They're gonna have to be damn good negotiators.

They managed to sign Di Maria without Champions League football. Unless they're in direct competition with Barcelona, Real Madrid, or Bayern Munich for a particular player, I think they'll be fine.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
He writes nice blog posts but he's been fairly average. His few good games and goals tend to cover up most of his average performances. He doesn't offer anything defensively and is too slow. That would be fair enough if he was great going forward, but he really isn't to the extent you can base a team around him (which is what a player like Mata needs). Disappears far too often.

Compare him against the playmakers/midfielders you see at other top clubs and you'll see that United do need someone much better in.

I meant class act on the pitch (although he does seem like a very cool guy off the pitch as well) which is what I would argue he is, when played in his best position. His whole time at Man U he's been shunted off to the sides far too often. Played in the middle, between the midfield and the attack, he can be deadly. Doesn't have a quick turn of pace, that's true, but he thinks fast and moves the ball around so well, which would be ideal for the quick players ahead of him.

It could be a moot point anyway, if JM walks in and sells him again. But even then, it's possible that he was telling the truth when he said he thought Oscar was the best number 10 in the world and that was one of the reasons he decided to let Mata go. You never know.

Edit: I'd be up for giving Memphis another shot as well. He showed enough early on for me. Live and learn and all that.

Audioboxer

I don't think we're getting anything announced today. Pretty shoddy handling now by United. Guess they're waiting till they can confirm Mourinho which was said to be tomorrow when Mendez arrives.

I don't think we're getting anything announced today. Pretty shoddy handling now by United. Guess they're waiting till they can confirm Mourinho which was said to be tomorrow when Mendez arrives.
How is it shoddy? Can't confirm it's done until all of the legal shenanigans are taken care of. Could be worse could have to cancel an end of year awards show due to horrid timing.

Audioboxer

How is it shoddy? Can't confirm it's done until all of the legal shenanigans are taken care of. Could be worse could have to cancel an end of year awards show due to horrid timing.

Everywhere reporting he is sacked but no official confirmation? Moyes had paperwork sorted in like 30 minutes lol.

DBT85

lmao he's gonna be just as big as a cunt

Anyway, I'm worried Mourinho will neglect the young foundation the team has built the past couple years. I'm also not too enthused of the prospect of the team playing more boring football, but at least Mourinho's methods will bring results.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ally-a-defensive-coach-who-doesnt-trust-youth
In the space of nine Premier League games in that first season (at Chelsea), Chelsea put four past six different sides as they finished with 72 goals - 14 more than Manchester United that season. They repeated that feat in retaining the title the following year.

Nobody scored more goals than Porto over his two full seasons in charge, and Mourinho's Inter were the top scorers in Serie A in each of his two years in Italy. But it's the efforts of his Real Madrid team that should really have banished such talk.

Mourinho's Real not only scored more than 100 league goals in each of his three seasons at the Bernabeu, but they even succeeded in outscoring the great Barcelona team over that period too. The 121 goals scored in the 2011/12 title-winning season is a La Liga record.

Unless Mourinho turns us into Chelsea of this season, he cannot be in any way worse than 81 crosses a game Moyes or 80% possession and 2 shots on goal Gaal.

I just really hope that the grinning knobhead Woodward gets the players he's told to get, not the superstars he thinks will make him famous.

I just really hope that the grinning knobhead Woodward gets the players he's told to get, not the superstars he thinks will make him famous.

Oh man, forgot Woodward was still behind the transfer steering wheel instead of doing what he's actually good at. Yeah, not much hope there. He's no Gill. Guy would rather spend his time putting in ridiculous bids for unattainable players like Ronaldo, Bale and Neymar (that £145m was confirmed if I recall correctly) and getting played by Sergio Ramos to do anything useful.

Though the reality is that it was tough for United to attract players even with CL football against Bayern, Real and Barca. Going to be even tougher now. The biggest transfer, Di Maria, was just discarded by Real and only went to United because his first choice PSG had the FFP restrictions.

LvG has gone.

Louis van Gaal statement

It has been an honour to manage such a magnificent club as Manchester United FC, and in doing so, I have fulfilled a long-held ambition.

I am immensely proud to have helped United win the FA Cup for the 12th time in the club’s history. I have been privileged during my management career to have won 20 trophies but winning the FA Cup, which is steeped in so much history, will always be one of the most special achievements of my career.

I am very disappointed to be unable to complete our intended three-year plan. I believe that the foundations are firmly in place to enable the club to move forward and achieve even greater success.

I hope that winning the FA Cup will give the club a platform to build upon next season to restore the success that this passionate set of fans desire.

Having managed in Holland, Spain and Germany, I had always hoped for the opportunity to manage in English football and be part of English culture. Both of these experiences have lived up to expectations and been fantastic.

I thank my players and wish them well for next season. It has been a pleasure to work with them and it has been particularly rewarding to see so many young players take their chance to break into the first team and excel. I look forward to watching the continued development of these young players next season.

Thank you to the owners and board of Manchester United for giving me the opportunity to manage this great club.

DBT85

Official at last.

Oh man, forgot Woodward was still behind the transfer steering wheel instead of doing what he's actually good at. Yeah, not much hope there. He's no Gill. Guy would rather spend his time putting in ridiculous bids for unattainable players like Ronaldo, Bale and Neymar (that £145m was confirmed if I recall correctly) and getting played by Sergio Ramos to do anything useful.

Though the reality is that it was tough for United to attract players even with CL football against Bayern, Real and Barca. Going to be even tougher now. The biggest transfer, Di Maria, was just discarded by Real and only went to United because his first choice PSG had the FFP restrictions.

Having Mou will help a lot compared to having Moyes or even Gaal there. There were plenty of players before he signed that said he was a pain in the ass to work with and that number just shot up. Mou won the PL at a canter last season and has won things everywhere. As others have said, he's about at close as you can get to a sure bet and with the money that United with throw at people I don;t tihnk we'll have too many issues. Just hope its for the right people in the right places.

Making the right choices for the existing squad is going to be just as important though, Jones is basically a corpse, Valencia is neither a winger nor a right back any more, Fellani, etc etc. Will he give Depay a chance, will Rooney be able to remember how to football next season, and so on.

Keeping DeGea and Martial has to be paramount however.

Audioboxer

Nice statement Louis. Had some laughs at your mad moments and grateful you got a cup in English football but your style just isn't suited to our league. Hope you enjoyed the experience and I'm sure you'll enjoy that pay off package.

Over to you Mourinho, #makeunitedgreatagain

Audioboxer

Yeah, deffo should have kept Moyes on.

Well if Mou does well we can look back to Fergie, Bobby and the board and say all of this mess was your fault picking two wrong managers. Probably could have gotten JM years ago.

Who knows maybe it's best he had his little breakdown at Chelsea first. Or maybe that was in part due to the United board snubbing him years back.

We'll find out soon enough how this next party is going to go down. Next season will be epic.

Or maybe there will be one twist left tomorrow and Giggs is the new manager. lololol

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm a Chelsea fan and a massive fan of Mourinho, so now I'll be a Man Utd fan by default. Gonna be gutted those 2 games a season, though. 😩😭
Conte's cool too, I suppose.

Tosyn_88

I'm a Chelsea fan and a massive fan of Mourinho, so now I'll be a Man Utd fan by default. Gonna be gutted those 2 games a season, though. 😩😭

This type of relationship is interesting. I wonder who you would support when they both square off against each other

Audioboxer

Unacceptable! You should be angry and hating on Man Utd and the fans and now calling Mou a fraud.

:p

etta

my hard graphic balls
This type of relationship is interesting. I wonder who you would support when they both square off against each other
Chelsea comes first, but I'll take an entertaining 0 - 0 with lots of post hits and some epic saves from Courtois and De Gea.
Unacceptable! You should be angry and hating on Man Utd and the fans and now calling Mou a fraud.

:p
=p
I'd never call Jose that, the man won us so much and came to us a second time after being sacked... . Praying that he will return back a third time and have it stick if Roman grows some balls. He was gonna be our Fergie. 😭

caramac

Nice statement from LVG but its probably written into the terms of his pay off, no bad mouthing the club. He'll have his own private thoughts on the matter no doubt.

DBT85

No they shouldn't - but they had to get the subsequent appoint right and they didn't. Dey goofed.

I can understand why they went with Gaal. I really can. After the first season I totally get why they gave him the second. We got 4th spot, the desperately needed deadwood was cut and we were at least playing a little better than under Moyes and, importantly, not fucking 7th. This season though has just shown that Gaal couldn't do it at that particular level in this particular league at that particular team. Anywhere else and he'd have been gone months ago. As soon as he didn't get CL he was gone, I've no doubt there is a contract clause to that effect.

Fuck its been so dire this year that I've been rooting for teams to turn us over in the vein hope that it would have got him out the door, because if we'd have got 4th I actually think they'd have kept him on for another year.

Well if Mou does well we can look back to Fergie, Bobby and the board and say all of this mess was your fault picking two wrong managers. Probably could have gotten JM years ago.

Who knows maybe it's best he had his little breakdown at Chelsea first. Or maybe that was in part due to the United board snubbing him years back.

We'll find out soon enough how this next party is going to go down. Next season will be epic.

Or maybe there will be one twist left tomorrow and Giggs is the new manager. lololol

As I said above, I completely understand the Gaal appointment. What I can't fathom is the Moyes one. The man hadn't won anything, had no experience with the ridiculous pressure and spotlight that a job at that level demands, or experience with the egos and everything else that went with it. On top of that, he had no draw at all for top talent. The only reason he got any fan backing at all was because Frog picked him out, probably because Pep didn't want it and they thought Mou was too much hassle at the time.

I think Bobby was the big sticking point for Mou 2 years ago and I can totally understand that too, but right now Gaal had to go, and with Klopp at Liverpool, Pep at City, Poch nailed to the floor under Levy, and Giggs having no actual experience, Mou is the only choice they've got and Bobby would have had to swallow it.

Gandalf

I think it's the right decision, and (obviously) the writing has been on the wall for months now.

Hoping the brand alone will be enough to attract a big player or 2, and hopefully push on next season.

GGMU

etta

my hard graphic balls
I will always support Chelsea above all else..but I'm not gonna lie I love Mou :(
Fortunately Conte's personality is so similar, he's probably the next best thing after Mourinho. Fierce, tactical, intense...hopefully if the players give up on him after a season Roman will start sacking them and not the manager... .

Fortunately Conte's personality is so similar, he's probably the next best thing after Mourinho. Fierce, tactical, intense...hopefully if the players give up on him after a season Roman will start sacking them and not the manager... .
Surely he's third after Simeone?

Hopefully that's the case because the players have been getting away with murder from AVB days

Westlo

Also add Unai Emery to that list.

He is coming to Everton.

Bookmark this quote!

I still don't know where the idea of Usmanov coming here stems from, considering he has a huge stakes at Arsenal.

He ain't coming.

It's not like he and moshiri's relationship broke down. Really no difference to moshiri and usmanov holding 30% of arsenal to just usmanov holding 30%. He'll still get blocked by kroenke just the same.

Im not saying it's going to happen but would it seriously surprise you if he followed his business partner moshiri to everton if he can't do what he wants to at arsenal?

And yeah would take Emery as my #1 pick, lol @ some everton fans wanting de boer over emery because he won titles in a 2 team league

Audioboxer

It is understood Mourinho rejected offers from Roma, China, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain. He might have been gagging for the United job but it is still a coup for United that they’re getting Mourinho. It is difficult to remember them signing an eminent football man ahead of Real Madrid.

Guess he really wanted it!

There's a difference between sacking a manager who isn't working and sacking a manager months after winning the league, as has happened several times at City and Chelsea in recent years.

Sacking a manger months after winning a trophy is old news, days after is the new way.

Audioboxer

Sacking a manger months after winning a trophy is old news, days after is the new way.

When would you have sacked him? Days before pre-season? Think it's best to try and get the squad sorted and transfers done before pre-season.

Player prices will probably do their post Euros inflation as well for anyone who plays well.

bjaelke

Get French Football @GFFN

Manchester United's offer to Zlatan Ibrahimovic: 1 + 1 yr contract, £250,000 a week & £8m bonus if he's there for just 1 yr, per @Tanziloic.
Guess he really wanted it!

Doubt the Real job was ever on the table. Despite Perez making the calls, Zidane's been doing a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom