• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey releasing March 15th in JPN PSN (1200 yen)

Vaporizer

Banned
Would you be happy if they added a bunch of filler material and increased the length to 6-7 hours?

3 years for a 3 hour game is just poor productivity in my opinion. No matter how good it is going to be. And it's not their first ps3 game and they are under the umbrella of SSM studios

After the stories about the last guardian, i am not really suprised. Poor management is endemic at sony.

Dragon

Banned
3 years for a 3 hour game is just poor productivity in my opinion. No matter how good it is going to be. And it's not their first ps3 game and they are under the umbrella of SSM studios

After the stories about the last guardian, i am not really suprised. Poor management is endemic at sony.

You haven't played the game.

BHK3

Banned
Bullshit. 3 hours? Really? I was hoping they would learn from their other games but $15 for 3 hours...I can just go watch a movie for that much...

Zia

Bullshit. 3 hours? Really? I was hoping they would learn from their other games but $15 for 3 hours...I can just go watch a movie for that much...

Learn... what, exactly? You probably could just watch a movie for that much, though. True.

GeoramA

...the hell? Were people expecting a 6 hour game or something? From thatgamecompany??

Go pay $60 for Asura's Wrath if you want that.

tranciful

smh at your implication that 3 hours at a movie is inherently worth more than a 3 hour game

tranciful

You don't seem to have the slightest idea of how game development works.

I think the issue is that they're creative. It's easy to pump out a game when you're working in an established genre.

i don't think anyone here is doubting their creative inputs to forward the video game genre; i sure think it's artistic in ways that flower was, and i am happy to pay 15 dollars for a 3 hour game- given it's mechanics and presentation match what i payed.

but, i think people are displeased about the amount of time -starting from 2009 to 2012 - being misused, being unproductive, and quite frankly , unfruitful for sony.

the quality of the game isn't the issue here ( i believe it's amazing!) but of how the amount of content and production values that does not match what we want from a game that was in development for 3 years.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
the quality of the game isn't the issue here ( i believe it's amazing!) but of how the amount of content and production values that does not match what we want from a game that was in development for 3 years.

It's not like they're a huge studio. Their site lists 14 working on the game, add on some people from SSM for tech, and you've got a sub 20 development team.

i don't think anyone here is doubting their creative inputs to forward the video game genre; i sure think it's artistic in ways that flower was, and i am happy to pay 15 dollars for a 3 hour game- given it's mechanics and presentation match what i payed.

but, i think people are displeased about the amount of time -starting from 2009 to 2012 - being misused, being unproductive, and quite frankly , unfruitful for sony.

It might just be an issue of announcing too early. When Jenova Chen first started talking about this, he just had a seed of an idea about a new way to interact online, but couldn't really know how it would actually work until they ran the beta.

I don't really get the "more time should = more assets" argument. If they want to craft a 3 hour experience, they should craft the best 3 hour experience they can.

Ra1den

Yeah if anybody should be complaining it is Sony, they are the ones eating the cost. We should all be thrilled that they are willing to put so much effort into a condensed little package.

Mind telling me what the amount of content and production values should be? Curious to know the equation that you clearly have floating around in your head.

Also what if they don't want the game to take more than three hours?

tranciful

Sony isn't supporting ThatGameCompany because they think their games will be super blockbusters. They support development like this because they want their brand to be associated with forwarding the medium of interactive entertainment.

People don't seem to realize that game development gets exponentially more difficult when you're experimenting and trying to tread new ground. You don't just show up with an idea, build it, and it's done. You come to the table with a vision, but you don't know how that vision will actually feel until you play with it (which will likely inspire more ideas) -- it's a very iterative process. I'll bet there's tons of production that was done, but you just don't see it because it was thrown out. Sony is very commendable for supporting games like this.

And given what alr1ghtstart said, they indeed are a sub 20 studio!

i can understand what interactive videogame they were making (a game finished within an afternoon) because we 've been following up on it, since we're interested in it-

and yes, they did announce it too quick; i've been waiting and waiting. finally it's coming out.

Sony isn't supporting ThatGameCompany because they think their games will be super blockbusters. They support development like this because they want their brand to be associated with forwarding the medium of interactive entertainment.

People don't seem to realize that game development gets exponentially more difficult when you're experimenting and trying to tread new ground. You don't just show up with an idea, build it, and it's done. You come to the table with a vision, but you don't know how that vision will actually feel until you play with it (which will likely inspire more ideas) -- it's a very iterative process. I'll bet there's tons of production that was done, but you just don't see it because it was thrown out. Sony is very commendable for supporting games like this.

tell the guys whining about the games that.

Mind telling me what the amount of content and production values should be? Curious to know the equation that you clearly have floating around in your head.

Also what if they don't want the game to take more than three hours?

er, longer than 3 hours? arnt people displeased because the game is short?

more things to collect, the polish that only money and time can give, ya know?

i don;t understand your question, so what if they dont want to make the game to be more than three hours

From some of the quotes in this thread, this might be the best PSN title ever released. Why does it bother you that it took 3 years for them to make?

tranciful

i don;t understand your question, so what if they dont want to make the game to be more than three hours
I'll take a 3 hour $15 experience that was afforded years of polish and experimentation over a 8 hour $60 experienced developed on a rigid schedule that conforms with genre standards any fucking day of the week.

Uh, well, avoiding talk about "advancing the medium" and such (which I have to disagree with), I am very curious as to what Sony will do with regards to the studio now. This is the last of their three-game deal with Sony, and I wonder if Sony thinks it was worth it. Be very curious to see what happens to the team as well.

From some of the quotes in this thread, this might be the best PSN title ever released. Why does it bother you that it took 3 years for them to make?

woah, dude, read on and see the side i`m in. i was just trying to see it from the other side`s perspective. doesn`t bother me at all.

dreamfall

I just want it. SO badly. Length is a non-issue for me. Flower is still up there as one of my favorite games ever, more so because it was the perfect length. Give me a different experience, something that feels right. And the beta really did that- it was nearing perfection in all regards.

woah, dude, read on and see the side i`m in. i was just trying to see it from the other side`s perspective. doesn`t bother me at all.

I don't think Sony is concerned. This game will definitely make good money and more importantly, increase the goodwill of the brand name for next generation.

hopefully sony won`t be.

i`m really curious too in the future of thatgamecompany; their contract now over, will they be still working for sony, i wonder.

they are one my favourite studios, so hopefully, they`ll reside with sony.

StuBurns

Banned
There's no other publisher that's going to give them the support and freedom Sony do, but there's also no other publisher who'd be releasing on such small install bases, so less money. It'll be interesting either way I'm sure.

Damn. I'm so excited for this game. Can't believe so many people seem to have played it. Over two weeks, it's UNBEARABLE.

Also, whoever suggested the OT title should be "Mystery Mountain" is a genius. Song is great.

I'm a bit bummed that this game probably wont leave the impression that Flower left on me. So much has changed in my "gaming domain" since 2009, all of which negatively impacts my enjoyment when playing.

Most of it relates to my gaming setup sadly enough. Moving my setup to the cold, shitty basement, shitty seating arrangements, my sound system sounds terribly hollow down here, and I've downgraded my tv which I'm really bitter about. Also in 09 I was on a gaming high when Flower released, now im in a slump, mostly because of my aforementioned issues.

Sorry for the rant, im venting.

Not disappointed, I had three extremely enjoyable hours, more then what I'm playing right now (Syndicate, Amalur and Binary Domain). I had more fun experiencing this extremely polished and good looking world, and I totally made my day.

And 20 people or less working on this for three years is not crazy. The game is extremely well made, the world has a voice and feel to it that I've rarely seen in any game. That's we're your time and money went for those people.

Being angry at a game only being three hours is crazy. It's the artistic vision and that's it. I don't feel cheated if a book I've waited three years to read is only a hundred pages or less if It was amazing. I really think its unfair to judge games on length contra budget. If it is a good game, then let it be a good game and don't get zoned in on numbers when this game is a experience, and it should be seen as that.

Cramoss

Within the game you mean? Because you can't do this in the PS3 system menu like you can on the X360.

You can do it on the system menu, it's on Settings > System Settings > Notification Messages.

The bad thing is that it will not only disable trophies notifications, but also friends notifications and all that stuff.

krrrt

I got this thursday to review it and have played through it four times since. I'm pretty sure I will replay again tomorrow and probably a couple more times after that.

And to think I barely finish most of the games I play, let alone multiple times.

This game is so so so awesome and an experience nobody should miss.

Tried this back at GAMEFest. Very friendly rep with a very interesting product. Look forward to picking it up, it was certainly one of the biggest highlights of the show for me.

... I think poor management is endemic to your brain.

1 week of development does not translate to 1 minute of game time for gods sake. It takes time to design different aspects, especially when you're not just using an established formula like 99% of modern games. Your argument is incomprehensibly stupid.

Uh, well, avoiding talk about "advancing the medium" and such (which I have to disagree with), I am very curious as to what Sony will do with regards to the studio now. This is the last of their three-game deal with Sony, and I wonder if Sony thinks it was worth it. Be very curious to see what happens to the team as well.

Flow was the best selling PSN game for years and Flower sold tremendously well as well, I somehow doubt Sony are unhappy.

Famassu

It's their biggest game so far. As far as I can tell, it's got some pretty complex physics with the sand & stuff plus they've got this different kind of online component which they've had to polish so that it doesn't screw up gameplay. Again, they are a small team who've pretty much made a game that, from a technical POV, doesn't seem to lose to retail games. Sure, they've had Santa Monica helping, but I'm pretty sure the bulk of the development was still made by their team (with Santa Monica probably just assisting with the more technical stuff & problems).

Seriously, what is it with people's obsession with short development times? Let the devs work on these games for as long as they want to. Not everything has to be made with tight deadlines & productivity in mind. I can think of quite a lot of "AAA" games that could've benefitted from 1-2 years of more development & polish even after they took 3-4(+) years to be developed (and not at all to develop more content).

I know people are going to get mad at this statement, but I'd love to see thatgamecompany develop for iOS. If anyone can do a fantastic button-free minimalist gaming experience, it's them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know people are going to get mad at this statement, but I'd love to see thatgamecompany develop for iOS. If anyone can do a fantastic button-free minimalist gaming experience, it's them.

That'd be really interesting.

That'd be really interesting.

Tilting the screen itself is very different from tilting a controller and seeing feedback on the screen, but at the very least, I'm pretty sure it'd be possible to do good-to-great versions of Flow and Flower on the iPad. I'm sure it'd be a different sort of product, but I do believe that thatgamecompany could do an excellent job as iOS developers.

Cyberia

Well that is an absolute certain possibility:

Thatgamecompany is looking to bring its titles to a “bigger audience”, studio co-founder Jenova Chen has told us in an exclusive interview.

The studio head noted that with Journey due to amble onto PlayStation Network next month, and the company’s three game exclusivity relationship with Sony completed, the team is looking to reach “beyond just PlayStation" with its future endeavours.

Chen told our Mike Mason:

''Thatgamecompany had a three game contract with Sony, so the past three games had to be Sony exclusive. Right now we are very much exploring ways to bring our games to a bigger audience, beyond just PlayStation. We are still in the process of negotiating, but I hope that we can announce it [soon]. But right now it’s still in the process.''

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/02/thatgamecompany_looking_to_move_beyond_playstation

Flower would work on iOS, control wise. But the lack of HD graphics and 5.1 sound system is half of the game down.

Retina iPad 3 + decent headphones and we're good, though.

Epcott

I've waited a long time for this game, thank goodness it's releasing soon.

But I'm also disappointed it's only 2 1/2 hours long.

I had imagined it would be a game you could wander around in and explore for days and find new things and players to meet... lengthening the game. But if it's just a short linear breathtaking adventure, I think my enthusiasm has died down significantly.

Also, wth hell happened here, Jet is banned?

Koyaanisqatsi of games eh? thats some high praise. i will most certainly be disappoinited now lol. trying to contain my hype with this game is proving to be hard... argh.

but hey can someone who has played it (especially if multiple times) tell me if theres any real replay value in it? i dont mind a 3-4 hour experience, but it would be great if the experience can vary enough to make subsequent playthroughs tempting (maybe the co-op can make it feel different enough each time?).

Koyaanisqatsi of games eh? thats some high praise. i will most certainly be disappoinited now lol. trying to contain my hype with this game is proving to be hard... argh.

but hey can someone who has played it (especially if multiple times) tell me if theres any real replay value in it? i dont mind a 3-4 hour experience, but it would be great if the experience can vary enough to make subsequent playthroughs tempting (maybe the co-op can make it feel different enough each time?).

There is a bunch of collectibles in there, and each level keeps track of how many you have gotten in each area, making it easier to just roam around the different deserts and look for stuff. There are also murals to find, and a secret thing that I won't spoil since it made me smile a lot.

Also throphy's. Some of them are pretty cleverly laid out.

In regards to coop, I haven't been lucky enough to play with someone, but my friend did for most of the gam, and he said it was a totally different experience compared to just playing alone, so that's at least a reason to go back and see if you can team up with someone.

Top Bottom