• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joycon connection issue may be hardware related

NolbertoS

I doubt its Nintendo pushing this like crazy. Everybody has learned from the MS RROD case study and I doubt Nintendo has money to burn to absorb any faulty products. Most likely Nintendo didn't do their due diligence with NA QS. NA hands are bigger, fatter, and we got frequency interference wverywhere. I expect will find a solution quickly and re-engineer the joycon antenna location. Doing so much QC doesn't guarantee a problem proof product until its out in the real world. But I'm aure Nintendo will probably address issues onna future direct

Dryk

Crazy. I can't check it now, but can we open up the Joy Cons to change it ourselves and reassemble it back together?
The right Joycon has a wired antenna that curves around where the analog stick is. The left Joycon's antenna is printed on the PCB. Apparently Spawn Wave has managed to attach a wired antenna to it but it's probably not a DIY fix most people could do. We'll see when he puts up the video.

Buggy Loop

What do you think the true issue could be?

Having worked with wireless antennas in many devices as an upcoming engineer, it's so very hard to define these bugs.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/D2UjaDgs3XDWjFlP.huge

From the ifixit teardown, i can't even spot where they put the antenna on the right joycon actually. The left one clearly has a dedicated area at the top right, near the analog stick. Actually, that metal casing for the analog stick is not super cool near an antenna if i would give my first impression?

Jubenhimer

If this is the case, then I fully suspect Future Joy-Con/Switch consoles to have a repositioned antenna. I don't think Nintendo is just going to sit there and do nothing about a serious issue like this. This is the same company who offered replacement straps and Silicone casings for Wii Remotes during the "Wiimote TV smashing" debacle.

tuxfool

Banned
Having worked with wireless antennas in many devices as an upcoming engineer, it's so very hard to define these bugs.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/D2UjaDgs3XDWjFlP.huge

From the ifixit teardown, i can't even spot where they put the antenna on the right joycon actually. The left one clearly has a dedicated area at the top right, near the analog stick. Actually, that metal casing for the analog stick is not super cool near an antenna if i would give my first impression?
The two PCBs are different, one has a mini sma connector, the other one doesn't, it goes straight into the pcb antenna. It also has a fairly long trace after the impedance matching network, I suppose you could solder a 50 ohm wire to the middle of that trace.

Did you miss the whole iPhone thing? I don't really see what's so insane about it.

That was insane too!

MULTIPLE THINGS CAN BE INSANE.

A design flaw of this magnitude not being caught during testing (or purposely disregarded) is a huge deal any way you swing it. It was a big deal for the iPhone as well. You'd think the tech industry would have learned to look out for something like this.

It's fucking weird, I have no problems whatsoever, tested multiple times with the joycon behind my back even. Tomorrow one of my friends should have his Switch, I'm interested to see if his joycons will have any problems.

Interested to see what Nintendo does, or doesn't do.

Was the Iphone 4 antenna the same way? Built into the PCB like the left joycon?

But yeah, Right joycon has an external antenna, left is built into the PCB.

tuxfool

Banned
Was the Iphone 4 antenna the same way? Built into the PCB like the left joycon?

But yeah, Right joycon has an external antenna, left is built into the PCB.
The iPhone antenna was the metallic frame on the phone. When people held it in certain ways it changed the impedance characteristics, thus making it less efficient.

Karanlos

I don't get it. My left joy con has better connection than my right :s
Can stand 5 meters away behind my back without problems.

Buggy Loop

The two PCBs are different, one has a mini sma connector, the other one doesn't, it goes straight into the pcb antenna. It also has a fairly long trace after the impedance matching network, I suppose you could solder a 50 ohm wire to the middle of that trace.

I thought that sma connector was for NFC reader?

Why is that. Chances are QC certainly caught this. It just wasn't seen as a big enough issue to change the layout/molds or delay the release. How is that going off the deep end?

Because the negative fallout/possibility of a HW recall/whatever measure this would require to rectify would far outweigh the benefit of simply getting it out by March.

Because this isn't even unprecedented in the realm of consumer electronics, considering the iPhone antenna issue, Nexus 5 bootloop, red ring of death, etc. The idea that just because an issue is seemingly "easy" to find means it was intentionally left in, seldom holds much weight in reasonable discussions

tuxfool

Banned
I thought that sma connector was for NFC reader?
In the photo you posted you can see the antenna connected and dangling on the red joycon. You'll also note the reverse symmetry of the Broadcom IC and then you'll also see the exact same impedance matching components near their respective transceivers.

e: now with pictures

MTmFvP4.jpg

hamsjams

Whatever the cause of the problem is I hope (against reason) that it's found and can be fixed quickly and cheaply. I'm loving Zelda but I have to spend way too much time monitoring my body position and sync status while playing. It's actively harming my experience with the game, even though I'm still enamored, and it's total bullshit.

Divus

I must be lucky. 20 feet away behind a couch at one point and I've had no problems so far. Most of my play time is at 14 feet.

Just goofing around I took it outside and could control it thru a barn window far enough away I couldn't see what I was doing.

Haven't had any issues with my joy-cons playing from 12 ft away. Covering them and putting them behind my back doesn't do a thing. If it's a hardware issue then it's not every joy-con.

I doubt its Nintendo pushing this like crazy. Everybody has learned from the MS RROD case study and I doubt Nintendo has money to burn to absorb any faulty products. Most likely Nintendo didn't do their due diligence with NA QS. NA hands are bigger, fatter, and we got frequency interference wverywhere. I expect will find a solution quickly and re-engineer the joycon antenna location. Doing so much QC doesn't guarantee a problem proof product until its out in the real world. But I'm aure Nintendo will probably address issues onna future direct
Bullshit. This is a design flaw, plain and simple, and it has nothing to do with NA people being fat (what the fuck am I reading).

And even if it were, it's a product being sold globally. It would take idiocy on an impressive scale to not test the product for real world conditions in the biggest market for said product.

BooJoh

Haven't had any issues with my joy-cons playing from 12 ft away. Covering them and putting them behind my back doesn't do a thing. If it's a hardware issue then it's not every joy-con.

Ditto here. I guess it's just another Nintendo hardware lottery, but it may also have a lot to do with environment. My Wii U Gamepad worked from much farther than a lot of people reported as well.

After a few days of my left JoyCon losing its sync and making my experience with my Switch docked impossible I drove 40 minutes away to the only place that had a Pro controller for sale. It's total bliss now , the Pro controller is a dream to use and with Zelda having a legit D pad is a must.

I'm pretty upset that I had to spend $70 and drive an hour and 20 minutes out of my way to deal with this problem. Nintendo short stocking the Pro controller really pisses me off and if they don't stop acting like "everything else" is interfering with the signal when after a full break down it's clear as day that the left JoyCon has a piss poor arrangement for its antenna then they are in for a class action lawsuit.

Considering this is nowhere near the nightmare of RROD in which the entire console has to be returned they should just offer affected customers a revised left JoyCon and simply ask those customers to return the defective one for a revised JoyCon with an antenna arrangement like the right JoyCon which has virtually no reports of losing its sync/intermittent signal dropout it isn't a massive event like the RROD. But knowing Nintendo they will spend the next 6 months denying its a problem , blame any and everything else and then release revised JoyCon's for sale and tell its consumer base to "deal with it".

Really pisses me off that such an oversight got waved through though and just further tarnishes Nintendo's old "seal of quality" that basically no longer exists.

timshundo

Chiming in with having zero issues whatsoever and getting across my living room and still not having connection problems.

Jubenhimer

Considering this is nowhere near the nightmare of RROD in which the entire console has to be returned they should just offer affected customers a revised left JoyCon and simply ask those customers to return the defective one for a revised JoyCon with an antenna arrangement like the right JoyCon which has virtually no reports of losing its sync/intermittent signal dropout it isn't a massive event like the RROD. But knowing Nintendo they will spend the next 6 months denying its a problem , blame any and everything else and then release revised JoyCon's for sale and tell its consumer base to "deal with it".
Nintendo isn't going to just let a serious hardware issue like this pass by. You are forgetting, this is the same company that offered free wrist strap replacements and silicone grips for the Wii Remote, and recalled Famicom units due to a faulty chip way back in the 80s. They take quality control very seriously.

Okada

I had to buy a pro controller to make Zelda playable in docked mode. I would change direction and the game wouldn't register it causing me to run off various cliffs and buildings.

This is sitting in direct view of the console about 8ft in front of me.

No issues with the right Joycon.

In the photo you posted you can see the antenna connected and dangling on the red joycon. You'll also note the reverse symmetry of the Broadcom IC and then you'll also see the exact same impedance matching components near their respective transceivers.

e: now with pictures

I don't know why I was expecting there to be ice cubes inside...

DVCY201

Nintendo isn't going to just let a serious hardware issue like this pass by. You are forgetting, this is the same company that offered free wrist strap replacements and silicone grips for the Wii Remote, and recalled Famicom units due to a faulty chip way back in the 80s. They take quality control very seriously.

Mmm, I appreciate the confidence, but with Nintendo under new management I'm not so sure. They feel like they're cutting corners already with the Switch.

Thoraxes

I must be lucky. 20 feet away behind a couch at one point and I've had no problems so far. Most of my play time is at 14 feet.

Just goofing around I took it outside and could control it thru a barn window far enough away I couldn't see what I was doing.

I went about 30 feet away through about 4 walls and on a different floor of my house, and the controller still had flawless connectivity. So I must be lucky too.

Cyanity

Banned
Looks like the only way to fix a faulty left joycon is to get out a soldering iron and pray. Not good.

Mmm, I appreciate the confidence, but with Nintendo under new management I'm not so sure. They feel like they're cutting corners already with the Switch.

Gonna give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt here.

Fredrik

Cuningas de Häme;231554364 said:
Could it be something that goes wrong in the manufacturing? I mean, there is lots and lots of people without any kind of problems with their joycon.
This video shows that there is no manufactoring problem, it's a hardware design issue. All left joycons have the same problem. Those who don't experience the problems just have less bluetooth/wifi interference.

I couldn't notice this problem until I moved the Switch closer to the router, wore an Apple Watch and held the left joycon behind my back while covering it with my hand. But it was there. Yet I first claimed that mine was 100% faultless... It's the same for everyone.

I guess they missed it because their QC took place where they had less problems with bluetooth/wifi interference.

How do they fix this?
They can't expect people to do a DIY fix.
They can't expect people to close down all their wifi/bluetooth equipment.
I think they need to do a total left joycon recall and replace it with an official fix.

NolbertoS

I'd wait and see. Nintendo under Yamauchi and Iwata never once told their consumers that they won't replace something they were at fault. It'll get addressed in some form. The last thing Nintendo needs is bad publicity after the Wii U fiasco. I still think their QS wasn't as thorough, since I heard rhey mostly rely on study groups in Japan for their products. Maybe they missed something so obvious.

Hexer06

I'm having this problem as well. I can't play it without my left joy-con going out of sync pretty often. Often enough to where it makes me want to stop playing at times. I can't count how many times Link just keeps walking in a direction(to my death at times when I'm by cliffs or drop-offs), or the menus being unresponsive cuz of it. It really hinders the experience when I have to have my body a certain way just to make sure my controller isn't blocked by anything. :/

Cyanity

Banned
I'm having this problem as well. I can't play it without my left joy-con going out of sync pretty often. Often enough to where it makes me want to stop playing at times. I can't count how many times Link just keeps walking in a direction(to my death at times when I'm by cliffs or drop-offs), or the menus being unresponsive cuz of it. It really hinders the experience when I have to have my body a certain way just to make sure my controller isn't blocked by anything. :/

Does it work better in the joycon grip?

Jubenhimer

I can deal with a rushed launch as long as these issues get fixed. I'm not happy that Nintendo rushed the Switch, but I can't blame them for doing so. They're coming off the heels of their worst selling home console yet, and Shareholders were running thin on patience. They probably saw getting something out before the fiscal year ends was more important than delaying the Switch to fix these issues.

I still would've rather they delayed the system, but considering their situation, they didn't have much of a choice.

That reminds me when my sis and I were playing 1-2 Switch in the tour event and her left joy con disconnected randomly. Not even the marketing is safe from thus lol

Garou

I think I'm not up-to-date on this, have there been widespread issues with people naturally holding the Joycon, or is it mostly when covered with both hands or behind the back?

Hexer06

Does it work better in the joycon grip?

I'll have to test it out. The grip just doesn't feel good to me so I haven't used it for a long period of time. I will try it though and see.
Edit: So it didn't seem to disconnect at all playing with the Grip, but I wasn't exactly comfortable while playing either, lol. Suppose I'll have to deal with that for now til that Pro Controller goes on sale somehow.

Mohonky

The antenna could be a contributing factor. Its proximity to a metalic object while at the same time being enclosed by an object full of water means you're going to get an attenuated signal. Depending on the interference from other signals in the 2.4ghz band (assuming Bluetooth) could conceivably render it ineffective.

It would be interesting for people with transmission issues to test it in an anechoic chamber, or possibly try to use it in different environments.

Also Lol at the video for thinking that simply dangling any old wire off that contact will turn it into an effective antenna.

No but it appears to be a patch which is pretty directional. If the antenna was orientated 90 degrees toward the front of the joycons, I suspect this wouldnt be an issue, if the length of the connection was longer, I would have run it to the front somewhere to make it more directed at the front.

tuxfool

Banned
If it wasn't a defect, and an actual flaw everyone would be experiencing this. There are many who aren't. Something else is up besides what the individual in the OP is describing.
The random incidence of it all could be explained by the wireless environment. A more scientific test with plenty of samples could verify this issue (in combination to the weaker signal from this antenna).

Top Bottom