• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JPRGs fans with full time jobs, what are your time management secrets?

Macnair

I finished P4G by doing the following:

Play 1 hour before sleep
Play 1 hour after waking up
Play 1 hour while taking a dump
Play while waiting for my wife after work, 15 to 30 minutes
Play while my baby is sleeping, 30 minutes to 1 hour

I miss my childhood...

Serrato

I play them mostly in the way to work (bus and Subway) and play them time to time at home. Take mostly 2 months to finish a game.

Then i buy another one.

Regiruler

Pokemon games usually aren't too bad: nothing is ever lost forever, so you're not pressured to complete the side events right away.

Meanwhile I've yet to finish Xenoblade, which I started last year.

I typically play them normally at first, but then eventually I go to this:
Easy mode, ignore the side missions if it doesn't add to the story, binge on the weekend, and half to one hour on the week day after work.

But yeah...JRPGs, you strike down one, and two more take its place.

xxczx

I play one "major" game at a time and then a few little games on the side like Mario or something.

Also I don't backlog. Creating a backlog means to me that I have to finish this game right now to get onto the next one. I can do it at my own pace and when it comes to finishing the game, I look for my next game.

Hour before bed, one out of my two days off I'll probably play for five hours straight and it takes an hour to get to work so I play then too.

Grief.exe

I essentially wake up at 4 on Sat/Sun and get four or five hours of gaming before my fiance wakes up.

Lately, I've just been playing Isaac during that time, which is a massive time sink.

Lady Gaia

Lots of good insight in the thread already. Play one at a time. Acknowledge when you're not having fun and bail from unfulfilling games (Ni No Kuni wasn't my cup of tea.) Recognize that having children pushes a lot of things aside in life, including gaming obsessions. Find a spouse/partner who has a compatible hobby that allows you to enjoy them together (my wife knits obsessively while I game.)

jony_m

I'm lucky enough to work in IT, so I have a lot of close-door "meetings" or "server-room maintenance"

At home as others have said, easy mode or at nights.. never sleep :)... my gf (bless her soul) also enables my addiction by taking care of most chores

jorgeton

OP, your backlog is out of control. I wish you luck.

I've played and completed maybe 95% of those games, but I bought them as soon as they came out, so I have about a 7 year head start on some of those titles you listed.

I work full time and am gone from 8AM to 8PM most days, but my secret is that I don't watch much TV outside from a few shows. So my downtime is usually playing these long RPGs. Also the weekends are a great time to put a huge dent into a game.

sensui-tomo

My secret, using a CFW ps3 with a vita and remote playing whenever i have the chance for ps3 rpgs, and that i only need about 6 hours of sleep helps and I function very well with that. 8-5 work, 9pm-12am games, sleep and do it again.

entremet

OP, your backlog is out of control. I wish you luck.

I've played and completed maybe 95% of those games, but I bought them as soon as they came out, so I have about a 7 year head start on some of those titles you listed.

I work full time and am gone from 8AM to 8PM most days, but my secret is that I don't watch much TV outside from a few shows. So my downtime is usually playing these long RPGs. Also the weekends are a great time to put a huge dent into a game.

I actually do well with my "regular" games. It's JRPGs that put in me in the hole.

finalflame

Gold Member
I dunno, I work a 40 hour week and feel like I have plenty of time to game.

I usually leave home for work around 8, play my current handheld game for 30-45 minutes during my commute (currently Fantasy Life), and then do the same on the commute back.

I am usually home around 6, am done eating/settling in by 7, and divide my time 50% between BS and 50% between gaming on a home console or PC. I usually stay up until 1-2am though, so I guess I sacrifice some sleep.

Then I have all the time in the world on weekends to game to my heart's content.

Working isn't really the problem, it's other life commitments like a significant other, kids, etc.

squall211

I tend to wake up around 5AM most days. So, I can typically play 1-2 hours before getting ready for work if I choose to. And then I will sometimes play another hour or so at night. So, I can typically get a solid 3 hours of playing in a day (during the week) without it impacting the other stuff I have to do during a normal day.

jorgeton

I actually do well with my "regular" games. It's JRPGs that put in me in the hole.

They do take dedication and a relatively clear social calendar, especially if you're really into the game. Sorry friends, I can't hit da club with you tonight, I'm grinding for levels.

Some long JRPGs also take me a month or two to complete and they're the only thing I play during that time, so it's more of a marathon than a sprint.

I'm by no means an expert, mostly because I suck with sticking to one, but I'll share some things that have worked for me:

If you have the choice, go to work as early as possible. I get into work at 6 am and I'm out at 2:30pm, entirely by choice. It leaves me a good chunk of the day to work with afterwards. I also try to go to the gym during work hours so that I don't have to work out after. Use commuting time to play if possible, I don't use public transportation. Also, if you're playing a handheld, play on the toilet. I usually only get about 5-10 mins of play time in, but it's a dent.

Once I get home, I try to cut corners with my dinner. I don't mean eat junk food, but make foods that can cook while you do other things or that cook reasonably fast with little cleanup; I like making food in the oven, like fish with vegetables or whatever. Also use as much disposable stuff as you can, things you don't have to wash after; I use oven trays and cover them with an aluminum foil so that I can keep reusing the tray.

On weekends, take out your errands as fast and early as possible. I go grocery shopping at 8am, I'm usually done with errands by 11am. I can either play video games or do something else at that point. I save cleaning for the day I don't run errands, and that usually runs me about 2-3 hrs, depending if I have to dust furniture.

As for the "metagame" aspect of it, I'm usually very harsh when deciding to stick with a game. Unless I know from word of mouth that a game picks up at a certain point, I only give it an hour or two to get me hooked. If I'm not excited about continuing, I drop it. I also gauge my excitement for certain games at a particular moment if it's on sale, to see whether or not to buy it. It helps from building up
even more
backlog. Also, pretty important, have a palette cleanser on hand. Even during the length of a single JRPG, it can get pretty tiresome; I usually swap out into a game from another genre to take a break from JRPGs, while only focusing on one JRPG at a time.

Hope this helps anyone.

Comet

I play 30-45 minutes at night while falling asleep. 3DS and Vita are must-haves for me. I can't pour 50 hours into a console JRPG anymore. Not with a wife and a baby on the way.

finalflame

Gold Member
Step 1: Wait for the weekend.
Step 2: Turn off your phone.
Step 3: Play until your fingers hurt.
Step 4: Play some more.

You know how to live. Co-workers always share what they did on the weekend, I mostly "chilled", aka played games mostly incessantly, save for some moderate going out/drinking sometimes.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just be smart with your time. When you get home after work, don't spend your time on GAF. Sit down in front of the TV, and play that shit. Get rid of the distractions, too. Nothing good will come of having your cell phone on.

Begaria

I have a full time job but no kids and a wife who also plays video games. I have little social interactions outside of a few close friends I get to meet up with every other week. I get to play a lot of video games, read as much as I want, and watch whatever I want whenever I want.

RDreamer

Working only 40 hours and playing games is crazy easy (assuming no children). When I was in High School I did full high school plus advanced placement classes and a part time job. Then I went to college and had to balance nearly full time work with full time courses and homework.. and a girlfriend. After graduating college and just working 40 hours I felt like I had a goddamned lifetime to play games.

Nowadays though I end up working like 65 hours a week at my job. Handheld games help, but mostly I just focus on one game at a time (well, one console and one handheld). I play in big chunks when I can, and stay up late sometimes when I probably shouldn't, but it works out.

abrack08

I was about to come in here and give you some tips but... my backlog is about the same. If I wanted to, I could pretty easily play for 3-4 hours per day because outside of work I don't have many commitments (live with my girlfriend who's perfectly happy staying home and playing games almost every day). But even then it's not nearly enough time to play all the games I want to. It's a lot easier to play with a full time job than it was working part time and going to school. And of course if you have kids or other commitments all that extra time gets sucked up pretty quickly

Fou-Lu

I alternate reading books and playing RPGs before bed. I usually reserve a good solid amount of time to play Friday, Saturday or Sunday, sometimes more if I am really into the game. Also handheld RPGs during transit or lunch breaks.

donjezzy

Js gotta pick at it when u have the time. I was able to finish Tox2 in 55 hrs in about 2 months while working about 60hrs a week. The game does have to have a quick save option however if something comes or I start getting tired

Look at them like a TV series or a book.

With a full time job would you be able to devote time to watching a whole TV series all at once? Read a whole book all at once? Of course not, so just break up a JRPG into episodes or chapters. 1-2 hours at a time.

I have a full time job and my favorite genre are JRPGs, which is fucking horrible.

Here's my current backlog:

Persona Q
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
Ar nosurge
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Sora no Kiseki FC(100% run)
Ys Celceta(Platinum run)
Shin Megami Tensei 3 and 4 (replaying them)
like a million SMT games
like a million Atelier games

I gave up on MANY JRPG series already, I stopped playing the Tales of series and I gave up on every PSX/PS2 JRPG I missed but I will play every Falcom/Atlus/Gust JRPG ever created at least.

My secret? I have no secret, I just play them every now and then and take a long time to finish them. Sometimes I go crazy and play Saturday/Sunday all day when I'm REALLY into a JRPG.

Amir0x

Banned
i beat most of the ones I wanted to play when they came out and now there's not so many released in the US anymore that I want to play so that it's really an issue :p

Although I am playing Tales of Heart R. Handhelds make playing through jRPGs sooo much easier

I generally play when the family goes to bed. Or if my daughter is asleep taking a nap and my wife is at work.

I've had a little more time to play because of that. My wife workin in the afternoons and playing a little when I get home from work and my daughter may be passed out.

I've had Dragons Age since it launched and still haven't beaten it lol. So yeah there is no secret just realizing a 40 hour game may take a month to finish

For one, sold Fantasy Life before I got heavy into it. Could tell it was going to be a grind.

Playing Bravely Default for a little over two weeks now and I'm only 12 hours into it. Put in about 1 hour here and there, can't really do marathon sessions anymore. Usually stay up at night and play in bed.

Josephl64

Well I just give up on other hobbies for awhile when I want to finish one. For instance I put all anime on hiatus so whenever I'm not doing something or with friends, my JRPG is all I do.

Rnr1224

Its tough but I just play at times when i'm not busy, which is most nights. It also helps if it is on a handheld so i can bring it to work and play during lunch or something.

DeBurgo

I remember one time when I had a full time job I played FFXII for two months straight, every night, and that was all I played. I was kinda sick of it by the end.

terrisus

While I'm out on disability now, prior to that I had a full-time job, was going to school full-time, and was at least trying to pretend to be a decent husband.

How to fit JRPGs in (for me):
1) Don't watch movies
2) Don't watch television
3) Don't listen to music
4) Don't use any "social networking" websites
5) Don't waste time on bad games

There were probably some other time-saving things too, but...
With those 5 things, there was plenty of time to go around for JRPGs.

Addendum: Handheld games are much easier to find time for

Oxn

If you dont have much time to play games these are some rules that you MUST FOLLOW. This should be Stickied!

1. Create a schedule. Such as saying I'll play 30minutes before going to bed, or I'll play 2 hours on weekends from this time to that time.

2. Play only the games you are most excited for. Don't play a game if you feel its just an 8 out of 10 in your mind. It must be a 9 or 10. For example I limit myself to a few RPGs a year. This year the ones Im most excited for are Witcher 3, Xenoblade X, P5, and Tales of Zestiria.

3. Dont start another meaty game until you know you are finished with the one you are playing or have gotten sick of it and know you wont revisit it again. You can have side games to play when you are attending to that meaty game, such as racers, fighter, puzzles and whatnots.

4. Eat right and exercise. You don't want to burn yourself out on just one hobby.

5. Stop reading GAF and forums so much. Sometimes I spend way more time reading about a game than playing a game.

Oxn

One at a time.
Just one at a time.

Ive already created my Schedule for 2015 for all my main games. I give ample time in between, so i know what I must do before moving onto the next.

Heres a brief rundown.

Bloodborne in late March
Monster Hunter and Majora's Mask on the side in April
move onto Witcher 3 in mid May
Tale of Zestiria (should be sometime between June-August release)
Xenblade (assuming release in middle of year)
Zelda, around November.

There will be some games I can fit into that schedule. I have a few I will be picking from such as Arkham Knight, Persona 5, The Order

Top Bottom