• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Judges Week" attendees are saying not to expect too much from this year's E3.

Been listening to podcasts this week, and I've now heard two members of the media who were at last week's "Judges Week" events suggest there were few surprises to be seen. Jeff Gerstmann said this one the newest Bombcast, and Simon Cox said it on the "John and Garnett" podcast.

If you're not aware of what Judges Week is, it's when a member of each media outlet is invited weeks before E3 to play and vote on the "Game of E3" awards. For a game to be voted on it must be playable, and because of this if a game isn't shown at this event, chances are very high it's not shipping this year.

They did say there was a surprise or two, but neither seemed to be that impressed in general. Better tame those hype trains, at least in regards to games you're hoping are announced at E3 and released this fall.

Muzy72

Banned
As usual I assume most of the E3 surprises will come from the unplayable games announced at the conferences. This isn't really shocking.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
They don't get to see the surprises, still hyped as ever.

Zornack

Considering Jeff's usual excitement level for games, or lack thereof, I take this as confirmation that this will be the best E3 yet.

hohoXD123

In that case the hype train for games likely to release this year will be slowed down.

....2015 and beyond games on the other hand...

I think most people are expecting the big news to be from games that won't be playable. So they wouldn't have been shown at Judges Week in the first place.

Judge-Judy-Opening-up-Laptop-Slowly.gif

Lingitiz

Judges generally don't see unannounced stuff anyways. I assume publishers would keep surprises under tight wraps with all the leaks too.

jbug617

Banned
I guess it's sort of expected. Not a lot of things have been announced for the Fall and it's probably unreasonable to expect an E3 announcement and then have it be released in the same yr.

Is it possible that publishers are holding off on showing titles to the media in an attempt to prevent pre-E3 leaks as well?

I didn't think that games like Watch_Dogs (2012 E3) and The Division (2013 E3) were shown to the media prior to the press conferences, although I could be wrong...

Tregard

Soothsayer
Judges would only see playable stuff though, right?

Most of the megaton announcements are the stuff we get reveals for, but no playable demo, surely?

jschreier

Lots of big game publishers skipped Judge's Week -- Nintendo, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc. -- and the ones that do go don't often show the stuff they're going to announce on stage at a presser.

Raide

Yeah Simon was down on it. Haven't listened to GB this week yet.

Jeff sounded pretty down about it. I know he is not super hyped about most things but he was fairly deflated about this E3. Maybe thats just the week plus he spent travelling around. :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Click bait article.

Sendou

Lots of big game publishers skipped Judge's Week -- Nintendo, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc. -- and the ones that do go don't often show the stuff they're going to announce on stage at a presser.

Well there you have it. Usually the stuff that gets announced at E3 I care about is from Nintendo.

So still kind of hyped!

hohoXD123

What's the reason behind that? Wouldn't all those meaningless E3 awards at least generate hype for some people?

Zornack

nynt9

I'd expect that Microsoft will show games that will come out all the way to 2017 and so just to try to reverse the negative momentum they have. So yeah, most of their bombs will be games that won't come out any time soon.

Riki

Judges Week is for the boring games that EA and Ubisoft and MS have playable at E3.
The real meat will be from the stuff that isn't there.

EVIL

I wasn't expecting any announcements that would release this fall anyway so the hype train is still alive

The key here is that it has to be playable. Some of the bigger hype trains are for things I think we know won't ship this year (looking at you Mr. Beast)

Top Bottom