• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Judges Week" attendees are saying not to expect too much from this year's E3.

NHale

Expected considering the games on "Judges Week" are those expected to release in 2014. We are not going to see a lot of games unannounced to be revealed at E3 and release this year (except the annual franchises).

The problem is that games media believed what their friends at PR told them during the last 3 E3's. "You don't release new IP in the end of a generation", "We are working at great new games just need new consoles to play them", "This year was disappointing because everyone is saving their best ideas". They believed them and were expecting a flurry of new IP's and games during the first year of new consoles. 2014 arrives and it appears those games are still not here.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm guessing they were playing games that are playable on the showfloor and got to saw the demos that will be shown throughout E3.

Still, I've said it before, best thing is to keep your expectations in check. It seems like people fall for the hype trap every year.

emb

Lots of big game publishers skipped Judge's Week -- Nintendo, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc. -- and the ones that do go don't often show the stuff they're going to announce on stage at a presser.
I started to ask if Nintendo participated. They seem to isolated and secretive for it. Ubisoft is the other company that's had some nice E3 surprises lately. Sounds to me like impressions from judges week are mostly irrelevant to my interests.

Xilium

While this could certainly hold some weight, I find many within the gaming press have become quite jaded towards traditional gaming. If it isn't an indie game or somehow related to VR, their lack of enthusiasm is pretty palpable. So it's hard to take their dismissal of E3 too seriously (they've also been saying this about E3 for a few years now).

Playable demos and 2014 release dates aren't what I'm excited about for E3 this year anyway, so I'm keeping my hype the same.

Can't wait for E3! It's going to be good!

Orayn

The only games I really need to see are Project Beast and X. Everything else is kinda whatever.

Seeing more Destiny and Smash Bros. will be cool, I guess? Not expecting much from the Zelda reveal.

As far as playable games, I think they are probably right. Any true surprises will simply be announcements, or cgi trailers of games several years away

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
"It must be playable."

I have no issues with most of the surprises being early enough in development to not have a playable demo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm expecting this to be one of the best E3s in years AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME

I'm fine with 2014 as it is. People really think fall is empty? Destiny, Alien: Isolation, Batman, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age - those are all day 1 for me. Not too mention Teh Order 1886 (if it stays in), Far Cry 4 and Xbox One games like Sunset Overdrive. Plenty to be excited about. A lot better than last generations first full year anyway.
I don't think its empty, especially if that Halo remastered collection hits too.

Mortemis

Banned
All my e3 hype is basically Nintendo, Nintendo, maybe SE will announce a release period & new trailer for FFXV, Nintendo, Nintendo.

So I have no reason to stop getting hyped.
Except ffxv most likely being a no show. :(

Choo Choo!

Lots of big game publishers skipped Judge's Week -- Nintendo, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc. -- and the ones that do go don't often show the stuff they're going to announce on stage at a presser.

Thought so. Question is why don't these "judges" that are press members and is not their first show not understand this. Gertsmann I get, that guy lives to party poop. For others I don't understand the rhetoric. These guys get paid literally by clicks, yet every year they act so bothered to be covering this. Then be like Jim Sterling and don't go, save us all from the disdain.

I'm not saying to be cheerleaders, but don't be so visibly and vocally disgruntled by it. There are many people that would love to go in your place. Like Evilore lol.

pelican

I can't remember the last time Jeff was genuinely excited about the prospect of an upcoming game.

I will wait and see how the chips fall during E3 week.

Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Driveclub, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Batman: Arkham Knight, Far Cry 4, the usual AC and CoD games, Destiny, The Order: 1886, SSB, Civilization: Beyond Earth plus whatever is announced for fall at E3.

The fall doesn't look barren to me.

I'm not super jazzed about all these games and I feel like that's probably not an outlandish stance that needs vehement justification.

Though I guess I should not have used the word "barren," but maybe "games that will obviously be Steam sale games for me next year" works better.

Lunzio

There ARE things they don't know about.

I'm still HYPED.

& it's unfortunate but true, Jeff's become quite jaded to a majority of games lately.

Not hyped at all at E3. Expecting more disappointments than anything.

image.php

kadotsu

Banned
I'll be satisfied if we see 1-2 non-gun games that aren't on a shoestring budged. But if the industry wants to save me money to expand my retro collection it is more than welcome to.

Kyoufu

There ARE things they don't know about.

I'm still HYPED.

Of course. Sony for one is keeping some things very close to their chest. Whether or not they're earth-shattering announcements however, we'll have to wait and see.

However I think we'll see a lot of content due for next year and beyond. Including titles originally slated for this fall.

The "best of E3" awards / judges week needs to go away. So fucking stupid to see that on box arts and stuff. Who cares what they thought looked good at E3? The only thing that matters is how the game turns out, not what it looked like at some preview event.

mario_O

Don't expect much about this E3, even last year with two new consoles was kinda meh. I just want July to come with my Dev Kit 2, that's all that matters.

Meh, they don't see everything, and they don't see really anything of Nintendo's so I'll kindly enjoy being on the hype train, full steam ahead. :p

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Jeff and I have very different tastes in gaming, so this might be a positive for me...

JLeack

Banned
Judges week is very tame. There are unannounced games from each party that weren't at the event.

Yes, each party has several unannounced games, and not all of thode will arrive in 2014.

It's sort of to be expected considering were still in the first year of two new consoles.

Top Bottom