• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Judges Week" attendees are saying not to expect too much from this year's E3.

Vidpixel

I don't know, to me, after listening to the Giant Bombcast, Jeff just seems more disinterested in the amount of sequels coming out this fall more than anything. I still think there is a decent amount of games coming later this year, just nothing really that's totally original for the big blockbuster titles (that we know of).

jbttwin

image.php

giphy.gif

The "best of E3" awards / judges week needs to go away. So fucking stupid to see that on box arts and stuff. Who cares what they thought looked good at E3? The only thing that matters is how the game turns out, not what it looked like at some preview event.

There are a lot of people out there that will look at a game box and feel unsure about it but see some sort of "Best of" or "Editor's Choice" emblem and decide their purchase on that.

Didn't Nintendo do Judge's Week in the past?

I seem to remember Donkey Kong Country Returns got leaked as a result of Judge's Week. Maybe that experience put them off?

I assume that Square not showing up means that Eidos wasn't present either, and a lot of the third party announcements that I'm looking forward to are coming from them, so hype not dampened.

Banned
Lots of big game publishers skipped Judge's Week -- Nintendo, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc. -- and the ones that do go don't often show the stuff they're going to announce on stage at a presser.
So that's the crew, the division, Zelda and FFXV not showing up for them.

We all know 2014 is gonna be bare until Q4. But the 2015 games that are gonna be announced are what we're hyped for.

There are a lot of people out there that will look at a game box and feel unsure about it but see some sort of "Best of" or "Editor's Choice" emblem and decide their purchase on that.

I know. But the "best [insert genre] of e3 [insert year]" is quite different and less noteworthy than many of the other accolades a game may receive. It's basically a marketing gimmick that we could all do without.

Ha, yeah. Jeff's whole, "I'm really looking forward to next year," thing on the Bombcast definitely spelled that out, along with his continued suggestion that perhaps E3 just isn't going to be as important to the industry going forward.

I'm personally looking forward to it, but I expect a lot of non-announcements aka; Holiday 2015 stuff.

hydruxo

That's just playable stuff though.

There's always plenty of announcements and surprises...it's E3. No reason not to be hyped. This fall is already crammed pack with games so I'm looking forward to seeing what is out next year.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The gaming press is a hungry dog lookin' for a bone. I wouldn't let 'em catch a damn whiff of anything I was planning to keep under wraps until E3, either.

Kalamari

Wow, so much for Watchdogs hype, Destiny hype, and Halo hype. Now, I am just praying that the new fighting games aren't totally fucked up.

Xpliskin

Keyword here is "Playable".

Beast Souls
The Last Guardian
Halo 5
Quantum Break
FFXV
The Order : 1886
Shenmue 3
Suprise announcements

... will not beplayable.

Full speed ahead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll be honest, I wouldn't expect that much out of E3 for basically this entire generation.

Almost every AAA publisher these days just makes a handful of games per year and then those titles often get delayed to boot.

So, if a publisher unveils a whole bunch of games one year, chances are they will have almost nothing to unveil the next, unless they choose to announce almost nothing the rest of the year.

Now, if you're someone for whom 2-3 games can make E3 an amazing event, yeah, it will still be a huge event since the titles that still get made are overwhelmingly $40-$50+ million blockbusters with astronomical production values and every feature under the sun.

If you're someone looking for huge variety (where variety isn't defined as seven takes on the FPS genre and seven takes on the third-person-shooter-action-adventure genre) or simply a huge number of titles, I would adjust my hype way down.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is E3 hype ever based on what's playable? I come here for the 60 second teaser trailers of games I won't play for 3 years.

Amir0x

Banned
If there were really big surprises, would they all know about it already, or would they be told about it close to the actual unveiling of said surprises?

I mean, we already know a few surprises, which would actually be pretty big if they weren't leaked.

Although it would absolutely not surprise me if E3 was tepid this year.

How would these "judges" know about E3 surprises? They dont tell them everything.
They don't, that's why it's funny

I mean, hypothetically they would know about an unannounced game if it's PLAYABLE but that's the key word here. If every E3 only announced games that are playable than there wouldn't be enough to justify a conference for each publisher.

So from what I understand, everything at judges week is playable but not everything that's playable is at judges week. Is that right?

Because if that's the case, I see no reason to worry here. Plus I'm more excited for 2015 games anyway.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't expect that much out of E3 for basically this entire generation.

Almost every AAA publisher these days just makes a handful of games per year and then those titles often get delayed to boot.

So, if a publisher unveils a whole bunch of games one year, chances are they will have almost nothing to unveil the next, unless they choose to announce almost nothing the rest of the year.

Now, if you're someone for whom 2-3 games can make E3 an amazing event, yeah, it will still be a huge event since the titles that still get made are overwhelmingly $40-$50+ million blockbusters with astronomical production values and every feature under the sun.

If you're someone looking for huge variety (where variety isn't defined as seven takes on the FPS genre and seven takes on the third-person-shooter-action-adventure genre) or simply a huge number of titles, I would adjust my hype way down.

Not sure why this would be a problem for the entire gen. These consoles are supposed to be easier to develop for and some games have already had fast dev times. I think we are just experiencing normal slow startup to the gen. I'd imagine a year or two in once everyone settles in and the tools improve games will come at a much faster pace.

Paracelsus

They are correct, if the lists are exactly what we know so far, it's not "wow it's f-ing nothing" but pretty close. Each of the partecipants must have some huge megaton to turn the tides.

Clockwork5

Jeff G. was not impressed? Color me surprised... That guy has never been hyped for anything outside of finding vintage games on EBay.

Its part of the reason I like him but still... He really is a total curmudgeon.

Tobor

Not sure why this would be a problem for the entire gen. These consoles are supposed to be easier to develop for and some games have already had fast dev times. I think we are just experiencing normal slow startup to the gen. I'd imagine a year or two in once everyone settles in and the tools improve games will come at a much faster pace.

The number of AAA retail titles will be a fraction of what it was in the past. The new consoles won't change that.

tfur

I was not really enthused with last years "best of e3" marketing push, so this is actually good news to me.

Corto

This judges week includes all the games that are going to be shown? If true that's why E3 people didn't give Evilore a media pass. Not worth the travel and the trouble.

El-Suave

I expect any big surprises to appear just in trailer form anyway. Those don't need to be shown to judges because there are no awards for them.

Sendou

This judges week includes all the games that are going to be shown? If true that's why E3 people didn't give Evilore a media pass. Not worth the travel and the trouble.

No:

Lots of big game publishers skipped Judge's Week -- Nintendo, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc. -- and the ones that do go don't often show the stuff they're going to announce on stage at a presser.

Also what's the connection between EviLore not getting a media pass and judge's week? I don't see it.

I'm just hoping for better than last year. Microsoft's presentation unveiling the One and just talking about television and sports really took the wind out of E3 for me.

Of course Based Tretton saved everything, but still.

The number of AAA retail titles will be a fraction of what it was in the past. The new consoles won't change that.

We will have to wait and see I guess. I don't think it will be a return to PS2 days but somehow Ubisoft is pumping out lots of games already. I think a lot of stuff has just been kept secret and it is giving a sense that these consoles have a sparse future.

Top Bottom