• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008: Battleground for PC Graphics - Geforce GTX 200 v Radeon HD 4800

Durante

Fallout-NL said:
I'm not sure what manufacturer to go with though. Asus, Visiontek, Powercolor, Club3d? Any suggestions?
It really doesn't matter, they all use the reference design and probably are made in the same factories with different stickers slapped on. Get the cheapest or the one with the pack-in you like most.

Wallach

Durante said:
It really doesn't matter, they all use the reference design and probably are made in the same factories with different stickers slapped on. Get the cheapest or the one with the pack-in you like most.

Not all of them use the reference design. For the 4870 specifically, most of the manufacturers are still getting theirs to retail, but Powercolor is already selling one: PowerColor AX4870 (OC).

ok i got my 4870 visiontek card

I made a "cool" profile in the ccc (enabled overdrive and found the xml and set it to manual and speed 65)

does this look normal?

vc.jpg

im guessing it down clocks itself to 500 when idle?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Well here we go. The HD4870 1GB finally came out. Anandtech was surprised with the results!

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3415

Well, it isn't just that the GTX 260 falls a little short. The fact is that the extra RAM really does make a significant difference in many high quality high resolution situations when playing current games. We didn't expect the gains we see here, and combined with the original stellar performance of the Radeon HD 4870, we have to say that we are impressed.

comparingperfimprovements.png

17392.png

17393.png

17394.png

17396.png

17395.png

17397.png

17398.png

They've come in around $280 - $300 and the HD4870-512 should be dropping down in price soon. It's pretty surprising that 512mb of gddr5 still held the core back a bit. I think NV will need another round of price drops soon, seeing how the 1GB is inching pretty damn close to GTX280 territory, passing it sometimes too.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Nvidia also just came out with a 260GTX+ that nullifies that 4870 1GB. Also a 280+ is in the works and whatever this so called 350GTX is. Looks like they really want the crown back.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kadey said:
Nvidia also just came out with a 260GTX+ that nullifies that 4870 1GB. Also a 280+ is in the works and whatever this so called 350GTX is. Looks like they really want the crown back.

How can you say that? Are there even benchmarks comparing the 4870 1GB and the GTX260+? I know there are benchmarks of the GTX260+ in comparison to the old GTX260 and it was an improvement worth its higuer price, but I've never seen the 2 cards being compared.

Oh wait, isnt the GTX260+ the Core 216? It is still scoring lower than the 4870 1GB. Is Nvidia releasing a third GTX260?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Are you really this stupid or must I point out common sense stuff to you all the time? Seriously. I cant' believe someone who is supposed to be so called all tech-savy can't even put one and one together.

From the benchmarks, it's clear the 260+ beats the regular 280 in certain areas and what not. Just like the 48701GB beats the 280 in certain areas and what-not from various benches. Put them side by side, one plus one and woolah!!! They are pretty much equal. Jeez, some people are so god damn stupid. Oh yeah, those benches posted above pretty much says it as well.

Zzoram

Kadey said:

If by that you mean the GTX260 Core 216 that just came out, no :lol

The graphs posted clearly show it losing to the HD4870 1GB (5 out of 7 times).

If nVidia is releasing yet ANOTHER GTX260 branded product, then they can go to hell. Seriously, nVidia's naming scheme this year has been AWFUL. Using the 9800GT/GTX+ as a rebrand of the 8800GT/GTS to trick people is pretty bad. Now they have variants of the GTX260 with a practically identical name, further confusing people? Seriously?

Tenacious-V

Kadey said:

The GTX260 Core 216 is the GTX 260+, and you can see the results in my post just above. It nullified nothing actually.... The 4870 1GB is basically trading blows with the GTX280 now.

godhandiscen said:
Oh wait, isnt the GTX260+ the Core 216? It is still scoring lower than the 4870 1GB. Is Nvidia releasing a third GTX260?

They're one and the same.

Tenacious-V

Kadey said:
Are you really this stupid or must I point out common sense stuff to you all the time? Seriously. I cant' believe someone who is supposed to be so called all tech-savy can't even put one and one together.

From the benchmarks, it's clear the 260+ beats the regular 280 in certain areas and what not. Just like the 48701GB beats the 280 in certain areas and what-not from various benches. Put them side by side, one plus one and woolah!!! They are pretty much equal. Jeez, some people are so god damn stupid. Oh yeah, those benches posted above pretty much says it as well.

Ummm, not a single one of those benchmarks shows the 260 Core 216 beating the 280. What are you looking at/making up?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

godhandiscen

Kadey said:

Why the temper? I was seriously asking the question. I as I said, i didn't know that Nvidia was releasing a third version. All this time i was thinking the GTX260+ was the core 216. Also, if Nvidia matches the performance of the 48701GB with the GTX260+ its not nullifying it, neither "getting back its crown". Things are just tied as usual.

Tenacious-V said:
The GTX260 Core 216 is the GTX 260+, and you can see the results in my post just above. It nullified nothing actually.... The 4870 1GB is basically trading blows with the GTX280 now.

They're one and the same.
Then what the heck is Kadey refering to?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Tenacious-V said:
The GTX260 Core 216 is the GTX 260+, and you can see the results in my post just above. It nullified nothing actually....

Umm, it seems to beat the 4870 1GB in quite a few benchmarks, too.

Zzoram

godhandiscen said:
Why the temper? I was seriously asking the question. I as I said, i didn't know that Nvidia was releasing a third version. All this time i was thinking the GTX260+ was the core 216. Also, if Nvidia is matches the performance of of the 48701GB with the GTX260+ its not nullifying it, neither "getting back its crown". Things are just tied as usual.

I think the GTX260+ is the GTX260 Core 216. Different OEMs named it differently.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:

2 out of 7 (Oblivion and The Witcher, neither of which are particularly stressful for any of the high end cards), so the HD4870 1GB is still the winner since it wins on games where the extra 4FPS could make the difference between playable and not.

godhandiscen

Chiggs said:
In 2 benchmarks out of 7. How is that nullifying it, or "getting back the crown"?

They both are great cards and I bet they are priced according to their performance, I just dont understand Kadey's comments.

bran

Tenacious-V said:
Ummm, not a single one of those benchmarks shows the 260 Core 216 beating the 280. What are you looking at/making up?

Looking at the graphics, I think: The Witcher, Elder Scrolls at least :p

Still waiting for nVidia to drop the original GTX 260 to $150 range!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
godhandiscen said:
Why the temper? I was seriously asking the question. I as I said, i didn't know that Nvidia was releasing a third version. All this time i was thinking the GTX260+ was the core 216. Also, if Nvidia matches the performance of the 48701GB with the GTX260+ its not nullifying it, neither "getting back its crown". Things are just tied as usual.

Then what the heck is Kadey refering to?

It is nullifying it. Meaning whether you get either one, the differences aren't huge enough to totally pick a concrete card over the other. And no where did I say Nvidia was getting back it's crown. I'm applying that with these updates, Nvidia wants it's crown back. Difference.

Zzoram

Kadey said:
Actually I'm going by two of Guru3d benches. The BFG Maxcore and the EVGA superclocked.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-core-216--bfg-ocx-maxcore/1

http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-geforce-gtx-260-core-216-superclocked-review/

It beats the 280 in certain areas, others being close and others not so close.

Um no. The GTX260 Core 216 MAXCORE OCX beats the GTX280 on occasion. That card has a 72MHz core overclock, and a minor memory overclock. That's not really a fair comparison against stock speed cards, plus the OCX costs more because of that factory overclock.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
bran said:

Yeah, it's funny he himself posted those benches and didn't see that. :lol

godhandiscen

Kadey said:
It is nullifying it. Meaning whether you get either one, the differences aren't huge enough to totally pick a concrete card over the other. And no where did I say Nvidia was getting back it's crown. I'm applying that with these updates, Nvidia wants it's crown back. Difference.
If we go by the benchmarks that you saw then yes, it is a tie, but this set of benchmarks shows different. I don't know where your insults come from. Seriously, is it that fucking hard to understand not everybody watches all sets of benchmarks religiously?

Zzoram said:
Um no. The GTX260 Core 216 MAXCORE OCX beats the GTX280 on occasion. That card has a 72MHz core overclock, and a minor memory overclock. That's not really a fair comparison against stock speed cards, plus the OCX costs more because of that factory overclock.

This year it has been always the same. I could have guessed this.

Chiggs

Gold Member
godhandiscen said:
In 2 benchmarks out of 7. How is that nullifying it, or "getting back the crown"?

They both are great cards and I bet they are priced according to their performance, I just dont understand Kadey's comments.

You know what, I was reading the charts incorrectly. :lol My bad, it does win more often than not (at least in those benches). I sort of wish ATI had released this rather than the gimped 512mb version. Okay, gimped is way too strong of a word.

Tenacious-V

Kadey said:
Actually I'm going by two of Guru3d benches. The BFG Maxcore and the EVGA superclocked.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-core-216--bfg-ocx-maxcore/1

http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-geforce-gtx-260-core-216-superclocked-review/

It beats the 280 in certain areas, others being close and others not so close.

The 2 cards you linked to are overclocked. You said the Core216 beats 280 at times, that can never happen at stock speeds because the Core216 and 280 use the exact same core. The difference is less ram on the Core216, lower clock speeds, and 216 cores vs 240 for the GTX280.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
You know what, I was reading the charts incorrectly. :lol My bad, it does win more often than not (at least in those benches). I sort of wish ATI had released this rather than the gimped 512mb version. Okay, gimped is way too strong of a word.

The 1GB card is at best 10% faster, and only at higher resolutions or in games on the highest texture setting, if that setting uses really large textures. It's not gimped, but it's a nicer card for sure. I have the 512mb, but I understand that this is PC gaming, and I would be waiting forever to build my PC if I was afraid of a better card coming out in the near future.

godhandiscen

Chiggs said:
Either way, I bet the 48701GB is priced a little above the GTX260. I wonder if 4870 1GB's in Crossfire beat a regular 4870x2. I can still return my card I guess.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Zzoram said:

The street prices are the same. $279.99 to $300. :lol Uh huh.

Tideas

Banned
Kadey said:

are we reading the same graph? the 1 gig won 5 out of 7 games

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tideas said:

Uh, two of those are so close that it doesn't even matter. Like 1-2 fps is really going to make a difference. Yeah. It's not universally destroying it, kinda like what the X2 does to all the higher tiered Nvidia stuff.

bran

Tideas said:

Some marginal wins and some marginal losses would denote "roughly equal". It's all down to the price/heatsink design/quietness/factor overclock at this point.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
bran said:
Some marginal wins and some marginal losses would denote "roughly equal". It's all down to the price/heatsink design/quietness/factor overclock at this point.

The smartest comment yet. Marry me?

Pachinko

So the only game that the new nvidia card does faster is crysis? smells like driver fixing to me but it works to some degree I mean bundle a copy of that game with every higher end geforce gtx 200 and the "dumb" enthusiast out there might think they have the fastest thing on the market. "dumb" - an enthusiast that doesn't read anandtech or tomshardware type sites but just builds stuff . Probably a small group :p

bee

leave the "my faceless multinational corporation is better than yours" purchase justification arguments to the console people imo, both are great cards at meaningful resolutions eg. 1680x1050 & 1920x1200

Chiggs

Gold Member
bee said:
leave the "my faceless multinational corporation is better than yours" purchase justification arguments to the console people imo, both are great cards at meaningful resolutions eg. 1680x1050 & 1920x1200

But the 4870 series is clearly the winner here. It's just a shame it took 2 months for them to get the 1GB to consumers.

Edit: I just ordered one. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
But the 4870 series is clearly the winner here. It's just a shame it took 2 months for them to get the 1GB to consumers.

Edit: I just ordered one. :lol

Noooooooo :lol

Hold out until it hits $100 :lol

Tideas

Banned
bran said:

true, but i mean, since they're both the same price, it just depends on what game you're looking at.

Grid, the 1gb got a 20+ fps beatened, while Oblivion the 216 got 6+ fps beatened

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
bee said:

No way. It doesn't really matter to me. I have an overclocked X2 that destroys them all besides the fact I own just as many ATI products as Nvidia. I started PC gaming because of ATI. But it gets really annoying to the point where I'm actually retaliating this time when God goes all defensive if someone talks about his beloved ATI in a negative way. But ever since he's gotten banned, he's been less aggressive about it and choosing his words wisely. :lol

I'll give credit where it's due though. Just like Bran said, besides a few benches that aren't even totally concrete since it's from one source and using certain settings that don't even pertain to a majority of the consumers out there, there are other things to consider when purchasing. I'm not even going to get into the whole drivers issue. 8.8 official was a disaster.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zoku88 said:
There's always so much arguing in here :-/

EDIT: What's up with GRID? Why is it so GPU RAM intensive?

It's pretty. Maybe particle effects?

What else would you do on the internet anyway.

godhandiscen

Chiggs said:
Anyone here want to a buy a relatively new GTX 260 for $150.00 smackeroos? US only, please.
Are you kidding me? Can I give you my old 3870x2 and some change for it? $150 is what I am selling my 3870x2 for. Guess I should expect $100 for it then. I need a card for my brothers PC, but the 3870x2 is a power consuming beast so his rig cant handle it. What is the power consumption of your GTX260? How does it OC?

zoku88

Hazaro said:
It's pretty. Maybe particle effects?

What else would you do on the internet anyway.
Haha, did you address my sentences in the opposite order? That was confused for like 10ms :lol :lol

Tenacious-V

bran said:

Ummm the Core216 doesn't beat the 280 in either of those games. Did you even read what I wrote?

Kadey said:
Yeah, it's funny he himself posted those benches and didn't see that. :lol

Obviously you have some reading comprehension problems.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tenacious-V said:
Obviously you have some reading comprehension problems.

Actually you're right though it was all just a misunderstanding on my part. Since I was too busy yelling at God, I skipped over the fact you said the 280 instead of the 4870 in which I would have not agreed with Bran on. Though back to the original argument, the two mid-range cards are pretty even.

And to Zoku, well, it does have versus in the title.

Chiggs

Gold Member
careful said:
I knew the GDDR5 would benefit from more RAM. :D
Now imagine GDDR5 on a 280 GTX (512bit bus)! Do it Nvidia!

Yeah, that would be something else. But, Jesus, the manufacturing cost would be insane. Those cards would be pricey.

Top Bottom