• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just saw Blade Runner for the first time (Final Cut)

Last night I was convinced to give the movie a shot and to my surprise it holds up pretty well. The scenary and the lively streets of LA (despite a huge Asian influence threw me off) carried the film for me. The film dragged at times but I was so curious about the world it never really bothered me, I do love the themes of life and death.. what it means to be human? Memories, etc. Didn't expect the film to be so deep.. I choked during Roy's monologue it was perfect.. his childlike expression upon saving Deckard it's like what's the point of meaningless revenge? Might as well live on as a memory.
tumblr_nks4zibxEy1qg4blro2_500.gif

I also appreciate Deckard's "being" left to ambiguity I can only imagine the countless debates people have.

Finally, I was wondering if fans are actually looking forward to the sequel? I'm open minded enough to let it stand on its own but I'm curious to see if at the very least we get good film.

There's no ambiguity. Ridley Scott says Deckard is a replicant. And he directed Alien, you know, so he's kind of an expert on the matter.

dickroach

it holds up really well, and I love it because of how well they built that world with 1980s technology. it's such an impressive movie.
I couldn't care less about this new one.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
New movie says otherwise..

Um...no. Regarding his long argument with Harrison Ford over the issue,
Ridley explicitly said a few days ago that the new movie's story is based around the idea that Deckard is a replicant.

It's a shame that in a wine-addled daze Ridley is stripping part of the mystique out of his old works but in Denis Villeneuve I believe they hired the best person for the job. He can make a worthy sequel even if it is based on Ridley's ramblings.

Dr Bass

There's no ambiguity. Ridley Scott says Deckard is a replicant. And he directed Alien, you know, so he's kind of an expert on the matter.

You should read Future Noir. Deckard was not written as a replicant. He was not acted as a replicant. All of that Unicorn crap is post production Ridley Scott nonsense, and it destroys the entire theme of the movie if he is a replicant. I personally feel like Scott is a bit of a hack that doesn't understand his own movies, but, that's just me.

it holds up really well, and I love it because of how well they built that world with 1980s technology. it's such an impressive movie.
I couldn't care less about this new one.

Could be at the very least visually pretty, plus zimmer on the ost can't be that bad.

I'd recommend checking out MrBTongue's video about the film you're interested in some in-depth fan analysis.

I agree with his position on whether Deckard is a Replicant or not. The answer doesn't matter nearly as much as the question.

Esiquio

You watched the correct cut. Good job, my man. I'm going to re-watch it on my glorious Blu-Ray right before I see the new one.

I showed my wife Blade Runner for the first time last week, and she really didn't like it at all. Thought it was too slow, and she hated Deckard. I'm looking forward to the sequel because Denis Villeneuve has yet to disappoint me (though I didn't think Arrival was all that great).

And when I showed my wife this scene, she agreed with Ford that light just happened to shine in his eyes at the wrong moment and that he's not a replicant.

5894443.jpg

I really do not understand the cynicism about the sequel.

Villeneuve is one of the most talented filmmakers in the business making a sequel starring Harrison Ford.

And the film looks absolutely gorgeous.

dickroach

I really do not understand the cynicism about the sequel.

Villeneuve is one of the most talented filmmakers in the business making a sequel starring Harrison Ford.

And the film looks absolutely gorgeous.

has there been one good sequel to a movie that came 20+ years after the first one? (let alone 35 years)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
has there been one good sequel to a movie that came 20+ years after the first one? (let alone 35 years)

The Force Awakens, Mad Max Fury Road, Rambo, Rocky Balboa, there have been a few. They are certainly rare, though.

Regardless of how they finally answer the question of whether or nor Deckard is a Replicant in the sequel, Roy saving him at the end of the original is an incredible act of mercy and generosity and the overarching thematic of the film is far better served if Deckard is human.

Last night I was convinced to give the movie a shot and to my surprise it holds up pretty well. The scenary and the lively streets of LA (despite a huge Asian influence threw me off) carried the film for me. The film dragged at times but I was so curious about the world it never really bothered me, I do love the themes of life and death.. what it means to be human? Memories, etc. Didn't expect the film to be so deep.. I choked during Roy's monologue it was perfect.. his childlike expression upon saving Deckard it's like what's the point of meaningless revenge? Might as well live on as a memory.
tumblr_nks4zibxEy1qg4blro2_500.gif

I also appreciate Deckard's "being" left to ambiguity I can only imagine the countless debates people have.

Finally, I was wondering if fans are actually looking forward to the sequel? I'm open minded enough to let it stand on its own but I'm curious to see if at the very least we get good film.

Oh you sweet, summer child.

/andherewego.gif

The entire ending of BladeRunner makes no sense if Deckard is a replicant.

And it will still be a disappointment.

Well, if you’ve already decided that disappointment is inevitable then yes, you’ll be disappointed.

I would argue that such a mindset literally precludes any other outcome, at least for you personally.

I actually think the sequel has the potential to be every bit as good as the original or at the very least a worthwhile successor, and I consider the first to be one of my favorite films.

I am curious if they cribbed any inspiration from the original novel, which is very different than the film but explores some intriguing concepts of its own.

GAF, I don't own this and want to do a watch before the new one is out. Short of forking out for the Blu-ray, which I'll do as a last resort, what's the easiest way to watch the Final Cut? I see you can stream it on Amazon for $3.99 but I can't tell which version that is.

GAF, I don't own this and want to do a watch before the new one is out. Short of forking out for the Blu-ray, which I'll do as a last resort, what's the easiest way to watch the Final Cut? I see you can stream it on Amazon for $3.99 but I can't tell which version that is.

I think the running time for the final cut is 1hr 57min 2007 ver that should be the one.

You should read Future Noir. Deckard was not written as a replicant. He was not acted as a replicant. All of that Unicorn crap is post production Ridley Scott nonsense, and it destroys the entire theme of the movie if he is a replicant. I personally feel like Scott is a bit of a hack that doesn't understand his own movies, but, that's just me.

The unicorn shot was shot for Blade Runner. It was on purpose.

Regardless of how they finally answer the question of whether or nor Deckard is a Replicant in the sequel, Roy saving him at the end of the original is an incredible act of mercy and generosity and the overarching thematic of the film is far better served if Deckard is human.

It doesn't change a thing. In a way it strengthens the end. Batty passes the empathy test. One of the questions at the start to Leon is paraphrased as "You see a tortoise flipped over, its belly baking in the hot sun, and it can't flip over, not without your help...but you're not helping." What do we think that Batty views a man dangling on the edge of a building? He doesn't care if its a human, animal, robot, etc. he just saves it.

Ridley explicitly said a few days ago that the new movie's story is based around the idea that Deckard is a replicant.

It's a shame that in a wine-addled daze Ridley is stripping part of the mystique out of his old works but in Denis Villeneuve I believe they hired the best person for the job. He can make a worthy sequel even if it is based on Ridley's ramblings.

He has been saying the same thing for twenty years now.

I'd get it from Youtube imo if you don't want the 4k bluray UHD, which is the best one.

$3.99 HD rental, $10 buy, $10 UHD (4k) rental, $24.99 buy

Click the little "From $2.99" on the right side to see more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMyz9bnKITY

The 4K UHD is currently $70 on amazon (ouch) but has gone on sale for $15-20 a few times.

Its currently $30 at best buy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-...-blu-ray-blu-ray-2007/6036100.p?skuId=6036100

Hey all it's a Blade Runner thread just wanted to roll in real quick and let you know THE WORKPRINT CUT IS THE BEST CUT okay back to your drinks thanks for your time bye

Iceman

I'm shocked the monologue was improvised.

"I scratched all the dialogue and I kept two lines that seemed to make sense because they were related to a few things in the script. And then I was just looking for one line that would kind of, in a tiny nutshell…you would feel what Roy feels – which of course is impossible. It didn’t come from me, it came from the poet in me. And there was a poet in Roy which doesn’t make sense but there was, right, in the program. By coming up with that one line to conclude Roy’s quest, I was also anchoring myself as an actor in my own insecure way. And for an audience to carry that for thirty years with such love – I mean it cannot get any better."

Rutger Hauer at Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia in Milan, 2012

I wouldn't call it exactly improvised.. as in, from the hip. He said in another doc, On the Edge of Blade Runner, that he decided to "put a knife" in that monologue the night before filming (without telling/warning Ridley Scott) and came up with a revised version shortly before the actual shoot. #saveourscreenwriters

I just couldn't make it through this film. Certain parts just dragged on for too long that it took me out of the movie and I got bored.

Loved the aesthetic though, and the philosophical implications, but those weren't enough to hold my interest.

Kuros

Hasn't Villeneuve basically said the opposite though? Hopefully Ridley was too busy on the wine to win the argument. I can't see Ford coming back with it going Ridley's way.

I just couldn't make it through this film. Certain parts just dragged on for too long that it took me out of the movie and I got bored.

Loved the aesthetic though, and the philosophical implications, but those weren't enough to hold my interest.

The pace drags at a certain point but the payoff is so good.

Blade Runner's aesthetic is too integral to my love for the movie to settle for lower picture quality.

You're not settling for shit. Best version of the story, told better than in any of the following edits. That it looks grimier than the Final Cut isn't necessarily a negative, to me. It probably shouldn't be to every single poster I see hit a 2049 thread and complain about how clean everything looks, either.

Also: I know that Netflix AND Amazon were streaming the theatrical cuts, not the Directors/Final cuts awhile back. The International version (which is the Theatrical but w/ 3 scenes of extra violence cut back in) is the exact same length as the Final Cut, so if you're guessing based on runtime alone, it's a 50/50 you're going to end up with the International, not the Final.

(another obligatory reminder: The cult of this movie grew with the Theatrical Cut. People like to talk as if the theatrical cut is this horrific piece of shit that must be shunned on general principle but we'd never even have the Workprint, or the DC, or the FC, if people hadn't spent the 10 years between 82 and 92 rediscovering the theatrical cut and proselytizing on its behalf)

Matesamo

Oh you poor poor person, lol. Of all the movies not to be able to make it through you chose Blade Runner!

Also: I know that Netflix AND Amazon were streaming the theatrical cuts, not the Directors/Final cuts awhile back. The International version (which is the Theatrical but w/ 3 scenes of extra violence cut back in) is the exact same length as the Final Cut, so if you're guessing based on runtime alone, it's a 50/50 you're going to end up with the International, not the Final.

Nah Netflix and Amazon had the Director's Cut. International and workprint are both pretty cool though.
Edit: apparently they've offered both before (no idea if at the same time though)

Kuros

Yes but (and heavy speculative spoilers):
I feel the trailers suggest that Harrison Ford is the key to creating replicants with longer lifespans which Jared Leto is trying to do.
. Though I really hope I'm wrong

Certainly.

Ford got his way in Force Awakens though. And he's a cantankerous sod.

Top Bottom